AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Physics in Code Geass

Hybrid View

Senior Member proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-26-2010 12:10 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Physics in Code Geass

Physics in Code Geass

As is well known, in most anime the laws of physics are different than in real life.

However, the more “serious” an anime is the more realistic it usually is, and thus the laws of nature are usually more similar to those in real life in order to avoid seeming like some crazy cartoon.

In Mecha and Apocalyptic Anime & Manga, the thread “Lacus Clyne V/S Euphemia li Britannia” has several posts which touch on Code Geass physics.

In my post number 15 I responded to a poster who wrote:

“Lets see, I hate both of them. The 'all-good' kinda character who can do no wrong. I haven't seen Lacus Clyne before, but I'd prefer her to Euphemia. The first time we saw her she'd just jumped out of a second-story window, and would have gone Splat if Suzaku hadn't caught her. She obviously wasn't gonna land safely.

There. Stupidity in all its glory”

By writing:

“Neither Lacus or Euphemia is all good nor can do no wrong. But Euphemia is the only character in her show who is good enough to be worth liking or caring about.

I think I remember that Euphemia said she had made a rope by tying bedsheets together and was climbing down it when she fell.

Euphemia might have liked to think that Suzaku saved her life by catching her. But deep down she probably knew enough physics to realize that if one person standing on the ground can catch another person without any injury or pain to either then the falling person would not have been hurt badly by falling a few extra feet to the ground.

If Euphemia fell about four feet past Suzaku's arms to the ground she would have added about four feet per second, or 14,400 feet per hour, or 2.727272 miles per hour, to her speed. Adding the effects of walking into a wall at less than three miles per hour to the effects of a collision which is not bad enough to hurt someone at all gives a collision which is still not bad enough to hurt someone badly.

And even if a person is killed instantly by a fall they probably won't "go Splat" when they hit. I have read that the bodies of persons who jumped out of flaming aircraft without working parachutes from heights of hundreds and thousands of feet were found and identified. You may prefer to imagine that objects with identifying inscriptions were fished out of pools of glop, but I think that probably the bodies were intact enough for identification.”

Anyone who thinks they have a strong enough stomach can do more research on the “Splat” topic but I think most of us will be better off just accepting my statement that someone who falls off a relatively low-rise building is not going to “Go Splat” even if they do land hard enough to be killed instantly.

In my post number 18 I responded to a poster who wrote:

“I know this is off topic, but I am too much of a physics nerd to let this go. To say that your math is off is an understatement (and please, I am correcting you because you really, really wrong here; if you want to correct me, PM me instead).

Your math is only correct if Euphemia was barely moving at the time that she hit Suzaku, which is not true; you are not taking into account the fact that Euphemia was falling down at the time, not just moving. Since Euphemia is FALLING, she MUST be going at LEAST 9.8 m/s (32 ft/s), as that is the gravity constant (9.8 m/s squared). If the video is anything to go by, she was at least 4 stories up which is about 20 meters or 60 feet in the air. At about 25 feet, you are most likely going to break BOTH of your legs and injure your spine; at 35 feet, the fall is potentially fatal.

Given this info, she must have been falling at 9.8 m/s (20 meters/2.04 seconds [the time it took her to fall]), which is 21.9 mi/h. Getting in a car accident at 21 miles per hour is not going to be pleasant (most likely whiplash), but at least you are surrounded by metal on all sides and are restrained in your seat (hopefully). If one hits concrete at this speed, bones are going to break, if not pop out your body, and there is good (but definitely not certain) chance that you are going to DIE. And this is if Suzaku WASN'T standing there, which, for all Euphemia knew, he wasn't. With him there, he slows her down (slightly), but not enough to avoid injury to Euphemia or himself. If Euphemia is about 110 pounds (50 kilograms), she is still traveling at 21.9 miles per hour. Stopping that with your body is going to seriously injure you.

Of course, none of this really explains why Euphemia made the decision to jump out of the window in the first place.:wacko.”

By writing:

“My math is not off. It is a fairly correct calculation of the extra speed that falling about four more feet to the ground would have added to Euphemia's velocity if Suzaku was not there to catch her about four feet above the ground. MY point was that Euphie and Suzaku showed no ill effects from his catching her, and falling an extra four feet would not add enough velocity to make the fall significantly more dangerous. Thus Euphie would not have "gone Splat" if Suzaku was not there to catch her.

Why do you say that Euphemia jumped out of a window? Did the episode show her jumping? I just remember seeing Suzaku catching her. And I think she told him she made a rope out of bed sheets and was climbing down it when she fell.”

So what do you think about the physics in episode 5 of Code Geass?

Do you think that Euphemia was stupid enough to jump out a window to what would have been certain death if Suzaku was not there to catch her?

Do you think that Euphie fell only a short distance before Suzaku caught her and thus would not have been badly hurt if Suzaku was not there to catch her?

Do you think that the world of Code Geass must have a much lower force of gravity, thus badly injuring its credibility as drama?

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2014 10:41 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Default Re: Physics in Code Geass

As per my respect rules, since you are asking semi-valid questions, I shall answer your questions, even though you are asking said questions in a profoundly stupid way; questioning the physics of a cartoon where a bunch of mechs roll around on skates and freaking fly with energy wings is pushing it just a tad.

First, you just said that the more serious that an anime is, the more realistic its physics should be.

Quote Originally Posted by proEuphie View Post
    However, the more “serious” an anime is the more realistic it usually is, and thus the laws of nature are usually more similar to those in real life in order to avoid seeming like some crazy cartoon.
    But then you double back saying that the force of gravity is lower (or suggest that it might be; why else would you bring it up?). As sensible as you claim to be, you still need some work on forming your ideas in a coherent fashion. Since you believe that the physics MUST be realistic, as this is a serious anime and I have quoted you saying as such, I will treat this as reality...which is what I was doing in the Lacus/Euphemia thread in the first place (it was a freaking joke).

Now to your questions. Please take out some pen and paper and take notes as they will be requested at the end of the lecture. Here's a screencap of Euphemia falling out of that window in episode 5.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Euphemia jump.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	30149

As you can see, she has already passed the third story window (she was certainly not a short distance from the ground from ANY perspective), but is too far far away from it. This means that she couldn't have fallen from that particular window; she must have been higher than that, from AT LEAST the fourth story window, which is where I will place her for the sake of this example (she easily could have been higher than that).

Now, taking air resistance out of the equation (as Euphemia was tucking in her dress and it wouldn't have helped squat even if she hadn't), since this is Earth, we know that acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s squared (I am well aware of the variants of acceleration due to gravity, but for the sake of simplicity, we are going to use 9.8 m/s squared as a constant). This means that the moment Euphemia fell (jumped, leaped, whatever), she was going AT LEAST 9.8 m/s or 32 ft/s.

The fourth story of a building is typically located 20 meters (60 feet) from the ground. With Euphemia's acceleration, it would have only taken her 2.04 seconds to complete the fall. With the knowledge of the (presumed) height of her fall and the time it took her to complete the fall (speed = distance/time), we can calculate that she was falling at 9.8 m/s or 21.9 mi/h. At this speed in a car, one can get pretty banged up, usually whiplash and bruises somewhere (hell, add another 2.1 mi/h and the airbags would have deployed), but one is surrounded by 2 tons of metal when this happens. Unprotected, falling at that height is most likely going to be fatal as only about 35 feet is needed to be almost certainly fatal. Now class, if Euphemia is falling from almost twice the presumed fatal height (and she could have been even higher than that), what does this mean?

When it comes to Euphemia's intelligence, she admits that she DIDN'T notice Suzaku being under her until AFTER she had leaped from the window (please watch the episode in question; she says this right to Suzaku's face). This of course means that she didn't plan for Suzaku to be under her, that she had jumped without his presence in mind. Of course, this STILL doesn't answer the question as to WHY she felt the need to jump out of a window in the first place (she explains that "bad men" were chasing her, but this is seriously debatable).

In short, my answers are 1) the physics of Code Geass is actually debatable, as are ALL mech anime (hell ANY work of fiction); I was really making a joke that you somehow felt the need to debate, 2) I do believe that Euphemia was stupid enough to leap out of a window without the knowledge of Suzaku catching her because she admitted, to SUZAKU'S FACE, that she didn't know that he was there until AFTER she leaped, 3) I don't believe she fell a short distance; the screencap proves as much and 4) I don't believe that the gravity is lower but that questioning the physics of the show AT ALL, where several ton mechs fly and a teenage boy controls people with his eye, shows a serious need to get out more.

This concludes today's lecture. Please print your name and pass your notes to the front of the room.
    Last edited by wolfgirl90; 07-22-2010 at 02:14 AM.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Senior Member proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie is infamous around these parts proEuphie's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    As per my respect rules, since you are asking semi-valid questions, I shall answer your questions, even though you are asking said questions in a profoundly stupid way; questioning the physics of a cartoon where a bunch of mechs roll around on skates and freaking fly with energy wings is pushing it just a tad.

First, you just said that the more serious that an anime is, the more realistic its physics should be.

But then you double back saying that the force of gravity is lower (or suggest that it might be; why else would you bring it up?). As sensible as you claim to be, you still need some work on forming your ideas in a coherent fashion. Since you believe that the physics MUST be realistic, as this is a serious anime and I have quoted you saying as such, I will treat this as reality...which is what I was doing in the Lacus/Euphemia thread in the first place (it was a freaking joke).

Now to your questions. Please take out some pen and paper and take notes as they will be requested at the end of the lecture. Here's a screencap of Euphemia falling out of that window in episode 5.

Attachment 30149

As you can see, she has already passed the third story window (she was certainly not a short distance from the ground from ANY perspective), but is too far far away from it. This means that she couldn't have fallen from that particular window; she must have been higher than that, from AT LEAST the fourth story window, which is where I will place her for the sake of this example (she easily could have been higher than that).

Now, taking air resistance out of the equation (as Euphemia was tucking in her dress and it wouldn't have helped squat even if she hadn't), since this is Earth, we know that acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s squared (I am well aware of the variants of acceleration due to gravity, but for the sake of simplicity, we are going to use 9.8 m/s squared as a constant). This means that the moment Euphemia fell (jumped, leaped, whatever), she was going AT LEAST 9.8 m/s or 32 ft/s.

The fourth story of a building is typically located 20 meters (60 feet) from the ground. With Euphemia's acceleration, it would have only taken her 2.04 seconds to complete the fall. With the knowledge of the (presumed) height of her fall and the time it took her to complete the fall (speed = distance/time), we can calculate that she was falling at 9.8 m/s or 21.9 mi/h. At this speed in a car, one can get pretty banged up, usually whiplash and bruises somewhere (hell, add another 2.1 mi/h and the airbags would have deployed), but one is surrounded by 2 tons of metal when this happens. Unprotected, falling at that height is most likely going to be fatal as only about 35 feet is needed to be almost certainly fatal. Now class, if Euphemia is falling from almost twice the presumed fatal height (and she could have been even higher than that), what does this mean?

When it comes to Euphemia's intelligence, she admits that she DIDN'T notice Suzaku being under her until AFTER she had leaped from the window (please watch the episode in question; she says this right to Suzaku's face). This of course means that she didn't plan for Suzaku to be under her, that she had jumped without his presence in mind. Of course, this STILL doesn't answer the question as to WHY she felt the need to jump out of a window in the first place (she explains that "bad men" were chasing her, but this is seriously debatable).

In short, my answers are 1) the physics of Code Geass is actually debatable, as are ALL mech anime (hell ANY work of fiction); I was really making a joke that you somehow felt the need to debate, 2) I do believe that Euphemia was stupid enough to leap out of a window without the knowledge of Suzaku catching her because she admitted, to SUZAKU'S FACE, that she didn't know that he was there until AFTER she leaped, 3) I don't believe she fell a short distance; the screencap proves as much and 4) I don't believe that the gravity is lower but that questioning the physics of the show AT ALL, where several ton mechs fly and a teenage boy controls people with his eye, shows a serious need to get out more.

This concludes today's lecture. Please print your name and pass your notes to the front of the room.
    I think that it is only fair to warn you that the more you prove your point, the more you disprove it.

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Cool Re: Physics in Code Geass

I think that it is only fair to warn you that the more you prove your point, the more you disprove it.
    Just like how one can't prove a negative, right? Oh wait, one CAN prove a negative, so why should I believe your logic now when it has been flawed before? And to think that I was trying to be nice to you. Well, if it acts like a troll...

You may want to elaborate on this (go ahead and try). If I can prove my point, it means that my point is not only valid but true, that the proposition that I have presented to you has sufficient evidence to be declared true. Since a proposition can only be either true or false, the information I have given can either only prove my point or disprove my point; it can't do both at the exact same time.

Of course, that was a pretty bold statement to make considering the fact that 1) you made the thread, so of course I am going to keep proving my point, 2) if you hadn't made this thread, I wouldn't have said anything to you and 3) you HAVE YET to present evidence of (let alone actually prove) YOUR point (and this is the second time that you are presenting it, which is the same number as mine).

Then again, I could say the say the same thing to you, what with your belief that Euphemia broke the Geass and that you have proved me wrong over and over again (like hell you have). Does that mean that the more you "prove" that Euphemia broke the Geass, the more that you are disproving it?
    Last edited by wolfgirl90; 07-25-2010 at 02:08 PM.
    This is my war face.

Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    Just like how one can't prove a negative, right? Oh wait, one CAN prove a negative, so why should I believe your logic now when it has been flawed before? And to think that I was trying to be nice to you. Well, if it acts like a troll...

You may want to elaborate on this (go ahead and try). If I can prove my point, it means that my point is not only valid but true, that the proposition that I have presented to you has sufficient evidence to be declared true. Since a proposition can only be either true or false, the information I have given can either only prove my point or disprove my point; it can't do both at the exact same time.

Of course, that was a pretty bold statement to make considering the fact that 1) you made the thread, so of course I am going to keep proving my point, 2) if you hadn't made this thread, I wouldn't have said anything to you and 3) you HAVE YET to present evidence of (let alone actually prove) YOUR point (and this is the second time that you are presenting it, which is the same number as mine).

Then again, I could say the say the same thing to you, what with your belief that Euphemia broke the Geass and that you have proved me wrong over and over again (like hell you have). Does that mean that the more you "prove" that Euphemia broke the Geass, the more that you are disproving it?
    The more you prove your point that Euphemia fell a distance and at a speed that were probably fatal, the more you will prove my point that Euphemia did not stupidly jump out a window at a probably fatal height.

Your math looks a little vague. In your posts you claim that Euphemia fell from 60 feet, that she fell for 2.04 seconds, and that she fell at a speed of 9.8 meters per second (21.92 miles per hour).

A falling object of no initial velocity and no aerodynamic abilities will fall at a speed of zero in the first instant that it is released. It will fall about 32.174 feet in the first second that it falls, and it will fall at a speed of about 32.174 feet per second in the exact instant that the first second of falling ends. It will fall about 67.348 feet in the second second of fall, and will fall at a speed of about 64.348 feet per second at the exact end of the second second of falling. Thus it will fall a total of about 96.522 feet in exactly two seconds.

Thus an object will fall 60 feet in a lot less than two seconds, and an object will fall roughly 100 feet in 2.04 seconds.

I think that an object will have a speed of roughly 60 feet per second when it hits the ground after falling 60 feet. That is 216,000 feet per hour, or 40.90909 miles per hour.
    Last edited by proEuphie; 07-25-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Gil
    Wicked
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

The more you prove your point that Euphemia fell a distance and at a speed that were probably fatal, the more you will prove my point that Euphemia did not stupidly jump out a window at a probably fatal height.
    Again, you need to elaborate on this. When it comes to a proposition, it can ONLY be true OR false based on the evidence given. I can't prove AND disprove something at the same time. In this case, I am either right or wrong and unless you can PROVE me wrong (meaning, show that my proposition is false), you honestly can't say anything. If my information shows that Euphemia fell (again, her word was "leaped"; she said she leaped so I am going to use every related word) from a potentially fatal height, ALL arguments about whether she "jumped" or not are irrelevant. Your point about her not being stupid enough to jump out of a window from a deadly height was proven wrong once I explained that she said, TO SUZAKU'S FACE, that she had LEAPED out of the window without knowing that he was below her. How can you challenge this? You can't. Watch the scene. It couldn't be more clear. How can you make the argument that she couldn't have been stupid enough to jump from that window without looking when Euphemia herself admitted that that's exactly what happened?

Your math looks a little vague. In your posts you claim that Euphemia fell from 60 feet, that she fell for 2.04 seconds, and that she fell at a speed of 9.8 meters per second (21.92 miles per hour).
    Hell, I gave you all the information that you needed, included estimates and a picture of her falling out of a window (which from ANY perspective is pretty high). My calculations could be wrong, but they are not vague. My calculation of her exact velocity, be it right or wrong, still doesn't change her height. And I would love for you to say that someone doesn't risk ANY bodily harm by doing the equivalent of jumping off of a four story building. Then you can test this on yourself.

A falling object of no initial velocity and no aerodynamic abilities will fall at a speed of zero in the first instant that it is released. It will fall about 32.174 feet in the first second that it falls, and it will fall at a speed of about 32.174 feet per second in the exact instant that the first second of falling ends. It will fall about 67.348 feet in the second second of fall, and will fall at a speed of about 64.348 feet per second at the exact end of the second second of falling. Thus it will fall a total of about 96.522 feet in exactly two seconds.
    First of all proEuphie, while I converted my numbers for you for the sake of simplicity, we are dealing with physics here and we use the metric system; your measurements should be in meters. Second, your reasoning is so off that I seriously question your grasp on simple physics (if you even took the class).

Third, HOW THE HELL did you get 96.522 for after exactly 2 seconds of falling? If 32x2 = 64, how the hell did you 96?!?!

My math may be wrong, but not as wrong as this!!

Alright, once again, even if my math is wrong, we still have Euphemia making the not-so-smart decision to "leap" out of a window, a window that's at least four stories up from the ground according to the screencap (and if you don't believe it watch the episode again). This height is potentially fatal; my calculation of her speed was only to demonstrate just how fatal it is.

Pardon me, but common sense would dictate that one shouldn't jump from four stories in the air, when jumping from just two stories, the height of the average home, could seriously injure you. Are you trying to tell me that despite the fact that Euphemia fell from at least twice that, she would have been fine? Because you seem to be maintaining the opinion that Suzaku didn't have to be there, that his non-presence would have simply added a couple more feet to Euphemia's fall.

You asked if I thought that Euphemia was stupid enough to jump from a deadly height without know that Suzaku was there. From EUPHEMIA HERSELF, we know the answer is YES, because she said that is EXACTLY what happened, that she leaped without knowing that Suzaku was there. You asked if I thought that she only fell a short distance before Suzaku caught her. Not only did she NOT fall from a short distance (from any perspective), Suzaku being there would have done absolutely nothing except ensure that there would be two dead bodies instead of one.

Also, I was making a freaking joke about a cartoon character. Grow up will you.
    This is my war face.

みんなで歌おうよ!
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-14-2013 06:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Allow me to humbly point out what in the Holy Lulz she's trying to ramble this time...

"Fell" being the operative word in the former, as opposed to "stupidly jump" in the latter. She's trying to say that if the fall is deadly, then Euphie didn't "stupidly jump". Now I'd like to break "stupidly jump" into two parts:

1) Jump, which means that her action was intentional, as opposed to just "fall"; and
    2) Stupidly, which means that her action lacked proper reasoning (or in this context, safety measures... I assume)

Before I proceed, I'd like to ask you which one exactly are you trying to prove here? Are you trying to say that Euphie did not JUMP ON PURPOSE (despite the fact that she ADMITTED the opposite), or that she did jump on purpose, but it was not "stupid"? I'll assume that it's the latter, as your whole thread seems to revolve around it. And I'll go with the assumption that by "stupid", you mean "reckless", and that you're trying to say that she already had it planned to fall safely, or at least somehow knew that she would safely, despite of the distance and all.

Assuming that this is the case, my next question would be: HOW the hell did you conclude this? Does the fact that Euphemia's fall was going to be fatal mean that Euphemia MUST have known that it won't be so?

If that's the case, then this is just another one of your flawed arguments. "Drugs are dangerous. Therefore, he can't be taking them stupidly." LOLWUT?

And my answer is: Stop trying to prove that your awesome-super-best-character-in-the-entire-anime Euphemia isn't stupid. It's too late. The fact is that Euphemia is one of the most stupid characters in Code Geass. (I think she's the second most stupid one, right after Tamaki. But I might be wrong since there could be yet a dumber character that just didn't come to my mind.)

At least if you want to try proving that Euphemia didn't do it "stupidly", try using a valid argument; one that is relevant.
    Last edited by Aku no Hikari; 07-29-2010 at 03:50 AM. Reason: I shouldn't type replies while half asleep

桜流し
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Gifts Hello Kitty Neko Tv Bonsai Tree
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-19-2014 02:18 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aozorapen

Physics in Code Geass

As is well known, in most anime the laws of physics are different than in real life.

In Mecha and Apocalyptic Anime & Manga, the thread “Lacus Clyne V/S Euphemia li Britannia” has several posts which touch on Code Geass physics.

In my post number 15 I responded to a poster who wrote:

“Lets see, I hate both of them. The 'all-good' kinda character who can do no wrong. I haven't seen Lacus Clyne before, but I'd prefer her to Euphemia. The first time we saw her she'd just jumped out of a second-story window, and would have gone Splat if Suzaku hadn't caught her. She obviously wasn't gonna land safely.

There. Stupidity in all its glory”

By writing:

“Neither Lacus or Euphemia is all good nor can do no wrong. But Euphemia is the only character in her show who is good enough to be worth liking or caring about.

I think I remember that Euphemia said she had made a rope by tying bedsheets together and was climbing down it when she fell.

Euphemia might have liked to think that Suzaku saved her life by catching her. But deep down she probably knew enough physics to realize that if one person standing on the ground can catch another person without any injury or pain to either then the falling person would not have been hurt badly by falling a few extra feet to the ground.

If Euphemia fell about four feet past Suzaku's arms to the ground she would have added about four feet per second, or 14,400 feet per hour, or 2.727272 miles per hour, to her speed. Adding the effects of walking into a wall at less than three miles per hour to the effects of a collision which is not bad enough to hurt someone at all gives a collision which is still not bad enough to hurt someone badly.

And even if a person is killed instantly by a fall they probably won't "go Splat" when they hit. I have read that the bodies of persons who jumped out of flaming aircraft without working parachutes from heights of hundreds and thousands of feet were found and identified. You may prefer to imagine that objects with identifying inscriptions were fished out of pools of glop, but I think that probably the bodies were intact enough for identification.”
    Oh wait. Now it's a fourth floor window, actually. It all depends on the artist's perspective.

That aside, the first we see of Euphemia, she is not climbing down a rope made of bedsheets, she is leaping/jumping out the window.

Orlly? Catch a person falling/leaping from a fourth floor window without injuring either of them? If you would care to do the research, a fall from a fourth floor window is enough to do plenty of damage to the person falling, not to say the person standing beneath who has to catch a person of Euphemia's weight, if there was even a person in the first place. The lightest injury he/she would get off with would be a sprained back.

The key words here, being of course, 'walking into the wall' and 'less than 3 miles per hour.' Exactly what speed is this? And oh sure, walking straight into the wall won't give you any kind of injury, not even bruising of the epidermis. Right.

Also, the 'Splat' theory is most likely right considering that it is a fourth floor window and that if there had been no-one there to catch her, she would, in the worse case have her brains splattered over a Concrete sidewalk and have bones broken.

Of course, this being an anime, their physics is questionable in order to make impossible things possible.

「そんな顔をしないで。また会えるよ、シンジ君」
    ---

もう二度と会えないなんて信じられない
    まだ何も伝えてない
    まだ何も伝えてない

I'm sorry (not) sorry.

Member Rongue has a reputation beyond repute Rongue has a reputation beyond repute Rongue has a reputation beyond repute Rongue has a reputation beyond repute Rongue has a reputation beyond repute Rongue has a reputation beyond repute Rongue has a reputation beyond repute Rongue has a reputation beyond repute Rongue has a reputation beyond repute Rongue has a reputation beyond repute Rongue has a reputation beyond repute Rongue's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2012 10:17 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

To this thread I must say....
    lol Anime physics...... /thread
    Lets not forget spinzaku.

People that jump from the top of a trailer can get really hurt, I have seen it happen.
    People that jump from 4 stories up? Ya.... your going to get atleast a little hurt even if someone breaks your fall.

Anime physics work like this though. Make up some BS to fit your anime.

*looks at Tengen Toppa Gurren lagann* Kick physics out and do whatever the heck you want.
    *looks at code geass* Magical eye powers...... ok physics are needed but not really a must.
    *looks at sport anime* Ya you need physics.
    loops....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information