AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: English dubs going to die?

Junior Member Chaos1 has much to be proud of Chaos1 has much to be proud of Chaos1 has much to be proud of Chaos1 has much to be proud of Chaos1 has much to be proud of Chaos1 has much to be proud of Chaos1 has much to be proud of Chaos1 has much to be proud of Chaos1 has much to be proud of Chaos1 has much to be proud of Chaos1's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2010 03:44 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    Isn't Soul Eater suppose to be coming on Adult Swim,sometime this Summer?
    I'm just saying that it has been dubbed for a while now but didn't hear a peep until recently.

Senior Member Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2010 10:15 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Gjallarhorn View Post
    I haven't heard about this, but there's good reason to suspect they'll have a new anime soon. Toward the end of 2009 they said in a series of bumps that they had "gone to Japan" and "brought back 3 presents". Of course one of these was Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and the second was Kekkaishi. But there is a third, apparently.
    Of course, considering Soul Eater has already been out on DVD for quite a while now, I think Inuyasha: Final Act is the most likely choice, considering the original series got fairly good ratings for Adult Swim IIRC.

The Butcher: 4Kids hasn't had One Piece in forever, FUNimation has had it and given it a far better dub, and the DVDs are just about to start the Skypiea arc. One Piece probably would do well on TV now as the manga sales are starting to rise thanks to Viz's faster release of the manga, but Adult Swim doesn't seem to be interested, and Cartoon Network is stupidly not doing any more anime on their schedule.
    My name is Kakashi Hatake. What I like....I don't feel like telling you that. My dreams for the future...hmm, never really thought about that. As for my hobbies...well, I have many hobbies.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Dude, Soul Eater's boat is long gone. If your show didn't take people by storm in DVD's, it's not going to do any better on TV. Not to mention they're on the third set. A rule in marketing (thank you Community College course!) is to not hand out your product out for free as you're releasing it.

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Quote Originally Posted by NICOLASCAGEINABEARSUIT View Post
    Dude, Soul Eater's boat is long gone. If your show didn't take people by storm in DVD's, it's not going to do any better on TV. Not to mention they're on the third set. A rule in marketing (thank you Community College course!) is to not hand out your product out for free as you're releasing it.
    Pardon, but I don't know what in the world is making you say that. First, the DVDs have been selling really well, due in part to the fact that the series was already really popular among American anime fans, so I am not sure what is making you think that they didn't sell well.

Also, while FUNimation is showing SOME of the episodes for free, at last check, they only have the first 16 dubbed episodes. That only covers the first DVD and the first two on the second. That's not saying a lot (considering the fact the the first DVD came out four months ago). The third set just came out (actually, it was three weeks ago), with the fourth and final set coming out on July 27.

Now, if fansubs are any indication, hardcore anime fans don't like waiting for their anime; if it comes between waiting for FUNimation to MAYBE release the episodes for free on their website or just buying the DVDs and be done with the entire series by next month, well...
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

Well, English is the most understandable language of our race so it shouldn't die too soon. Unless something unspeakable happens...

EDIT: If Sherman is really worried that people are watching anime online stream rather than buy the DVDs the hard way, he should urge the government to close down those websites to force people to buy DVDs.
    Last edited by Light Buster; 06-27-2010 at 07:28 PM.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@ wolfgirl: Where did you get the numbers for Soul Eater's DVD's? How much did it sell? Did FUNI break even?

BTW, I'm talking about TV. You really shouldn't release the DVD's before you put it on TV.

Also, hardcore fans aren't the ones buying anime anymore. Remember Azumanga Daioh?

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

I don't even know Azumanga Daioh but sure like to know what it/he/she is. If hardcore fans stop buying and start watching online, it's going to hurt everyone eventually in the long run. Money, industries, all of the above in every category.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Light Buster View Post
    I don't even know Azumanga Daioh but sure like to know what it/he/she is. If hardcore fans stop buying and start watching online, it's going to hurt everyone eventually in the long run. Money, industries, all of the above in every category.
    That's what the current problem is; the hardcore cans are the ones who are watching it online; the ones buying less. Whether it be because they don't want to wait a few weeks/months for something to come over, or because they're some of those "purist" dub-haters, or simply because its free, that's how it is. This is why Funimation has included so much simulcasting in their current operation, airing subbed anime on youtube and cruchyroll just hours after it airs in Japan. Even still, this hasn't attracted as much attention as they'd like.

Oh, and Azumanga Daioh was a very popular 4koma and comedy/slice-of-life that aired early last decade; in both the Japan and the US.
    Last edited by Gjallarhorn; 06-27-2010 at 08:06 PM.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

That's what the current problem is; the hardcore cans are the ones who are watching it online; the ones buying less. Whether it be because they don't want to wait a few weeks/months for something to come over, or because they're some of those "purist" dub-haters, or simply because its free, that's how it is. This is why Funimation has included so much simulcasting in their current operation, airing subbed anime on youtube and cruchyroll just hours after it airs in Japan. Even still, this hasn't attracted as much attention as they'd like.

Oh, and Azumanga Daioh was a very popular 4koma and comedy/slice-of-life that aired early last decade; in both the Japan and the US.
    Well, both the US and Japanese government has to do something about it. They can't let this slide or like I said. It will hurt everyone.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

This is presently what is happening with manga scanlations. Several very large Japanese manga publishes, including Shueisha and Kodansha, as well as several US companies such as Viz and YenPress have teamed up together to pursue legal action against large scanlation-dedicated websites. They announced that they will be sending out C&D notices to 30 large websites and take legal action against those who do not comply; a number of very large sites, in fear that they will receive C&D notices, have already removed any and all download links and raw chapters from the sites, while others have shut down all together.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Light Buster View Post
    Well, both the US and Japanese government has to do something about it. They can't let this slide or like I said. It will hurt everyone.
    Why should the U.S. government do anything about it? There's nothing in there for them. It's up to us fans to be "snitches" about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian the Answerman from ANN
    You can always, uh, be a snitch. Or in less harsh terms, simply fire off an email to Funimation or Viz or whoever through their respective websites to let them know the kind of unsavory elements you have unwittingly discovered through a simple Google search. I guess if you really wanted to wage a one-man war against anime and manga piracy, you could save up a bunch of money and track down individual pirates by following their IP addresses and beat them up while wearing a mask and cowl, operating both within and outside of the rule of law, a shadowy figure of vigilante internet justice. But I'd just do the other thing, the snitchy thing. Yeah.

Gil
    Fine
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

This is presently what is happening with manga scanlations. Several very large Japanese manga publishes, including Shueisha and Kodansha, as well as several US companies such as Viz and YenPress have teamed up together to pursue legal action against large scanlation-dedicated websites. They announced that they will be sending out C&D notices to 30 large websites and take legal action against those who do not comply; a number of very large sites, in fear that they will receive C&D notices, have already removed any and all download links and raw chapters from the sites, while others have shut down all together.
    They should also hunt down anime streaming sites as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NICOLASCAGEINABEARSUIT View Post
    Why should the U.S. government do anything about it? There's nothing in there for them. It's up to us fans to be "snitches" about it.
    Well, the U.S. Government can hunt down the streaming sites that were put up on our soil.

Senior Member Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2013 12:26 AM
    Threads

i don't mind either way as long as i can watch anime i'm good to go ^^

King Boredom~ Jimbow has a reputation beyond repute Jimbow has a reputation beyond repute Jimbow has a reputation beyond repute Jimbow has a reputation beyond repute Jimbow has a reputation beyond repute Jimbow has a reputation beyond repute Jimbow has a reputation beyond repute Jimbow has a reputation beyond repute Jimbow has a reputation beyond repute Jimbow has a reputation beyond repute Jimbow has a reputation beyond repute Jimbow's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2011 11:40 AM
    Threads

I don't mind if dub would die.

I prefer subs anyway

Sig by me

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
    I don't mind if dub would die.

I prefer subs anyway
    Think of it this way:

1) If dubs die, hundreds of jobs will be lost.
    2) If dubs die, there will no more anime being licensed, and thus Japanese production companies will receive less money, and thus have smaller budgets. Smaller budgets lead to animators and voice actors getting paid less (and animators already get paid slave-wages), and animation quality would decline.
    3) If dubs die, there would be no dubbed anime to buy, and no royalties would go to the copyright holders, same effects as #2.
    4) If dubs die, anime will cease to spread into popular culture in the West has it has been over the last two decades.
    5) If dubs die, more people would turn to piracy to get anime, again decreasing income for production companies.

Senior Member Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan has a reputation beyond repute Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan has a reputation beyond repute Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan has a reputation beyond repute Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan has a reputation beyond repute Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan has a reputation beyond repute Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan has a reputation beyond repute Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan has a reputation beyond repute Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan has a reputation beyond repute Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan has a reputation beyond repute Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan has a reputation beyond repute Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan has a reputation beyond repute Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-08-2010 04:23 AM
    Threads

Default Re: English dubs going to die?

Dubs won't die. They won't be as frequent, but they won't die. This is what I do. I watch a series online, and if I like it enough to watch it again, I don't watch it online anymore, I buy the box set(and if it's not out, I wait. I'm not buying DVDs separate unless I'm at least 85% sure it'll never have a box set, like Zoids NCZ). But that's only if it's been dubbed, or released in professional subs. If it's something like Macross, I'm just going to keep watching it online, with some exceptions like Macross Plus, which actually has a dub.

Senior Member Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts One Piece Mugiwara Guitar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-26-2021 06:26 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Prefer subs, the english dubs are so lame and childish. Makes me go nuts.

Junior Member Chinmoku has a reputation beyond repute Chinmoku has a reputation beyond repute Chinmoku has a reputation beyond repute Chinmoku has a reputation beyond repute Chinmoku has a reputation beyond repute Chinmoku has a reputation beyond repute Chinmoku has a reputation beyond repute Chinmoku has a reputation beyond repute Chinmoku has a reputation beyond repute Chinmoku has a reputation beyond repute Chinmoku has a reputation beyond repute Chinmoku's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2010 10:10 AM
    Threads

I prefer dubs, I like to understand what is being said without having to read what is being said. Maybe I'm to fussy, but it will definitely get me annoyed if they were no more dubs

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information