AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wannabe Japanese?

Senior Member Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-30-2010 06:45 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Wannabe Japanese?

Frankly, I have been called that and I recently found out what it was.
    Pulling it from.... umm... Urban Dictionary....

****** - Someone who is obsessed with Japan/Japanese Culture/Anime, etc. and attempts to act as if they were Japanese, even though they're far from it. They use Japanese words but usually end up pronouncing them wrong.

1. A person so obsessed with japanese culture that they ignore their own.
    2. Someone obsessed beyond healthy levels with anime.
    3. People who ruin activities for other people with overzealous references to said anime.
    4. People so oblivious to reality they only care about anime.

Someone who thinks Japan is superior over EVERYTHING.
    So then I went like, "Okay....??" Question mark.. question mark.. still a bit confused... Then I came across... THIS-

KEEP IN MIND: that a non-japanese person can like the culture, watch anime, speak the language and RESPECT THE CULTURE, while still keeping in touch with there own. Which keeps them from being a anime fan.
    So which is it?

I don't think I am one to be honest. I mean I really am fond of the Japanese culture... and I do not like my own... (Chinese. Because I know how Chinese people can be at times and it just irritates me because I can not believe I am Chinese...) but I do not cling on to Anime and Manga as much as others. I mean I 'like' the idea of Anime and Manga.. but I dont 'obsess' over it. And also, many people think I gave myself a nickname. Incorrect.

My nickname isnt Sakura BECAUSE of Sakura cardcaptors or Sakura from Naruto or Sakura from Fate/Stay Night... ect.
    My nickname came from my long lost friend from Elementary School before she left to the mainland. She's a sentimental person and she thought I might relate to this flower. (She's still long lost too.)

What is your term of a ******?
    Are you one? Whats the difference?
    Have you been called that before?
    Were you confused just as much as I was?
    Is there a fine line?

Edit: Am I not supposed to use that word....? >___>;
    Last edited by Sakura Holic; 04-13-2010 at 04:06 AM. Reason: I realized something...

[[ ~Missing the old アンティック-珈琲店~ ]]

Senior Member Princess Elli has a reputation beyond repute Princess Elli has a reputation beyond repute Princess Elli has a reputation beyond repute Princess Elli has a reputation beyond repute Princess Elli has a reputation beyond repute Princess Elli has a reputation beyond repute Princess Elli has a reputation beyond repute Princess Elli has a reputation beyond repute Princess Elli has a reputation beyond repute Princess Elli has a reputation beyond repute Princess Elli has a reputation beyond repute Princess Elli's Avatar
    Gil
    Sick
    Gifts Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-03-2010 04:01 PM
    I'm with my friends under the cherry blossem trees
    Threads

Hmmm I have been called that before but then again it's from urban dictionary according to the a "Hoe" is a woman who works street corners inorder to gain extra income as a hobby, I am sure those are "*****'s" or "Hooker's" I remember a Hoe being a cultivation tool usex to turn the soil simalar to a rake.

So don't take things like that too serious all though I do match the critiera for the top one but I am already Japanese born. If anyone called me that I just call them idiots and that I will be laughing when a drunk runs them over.

Edit:

Also I love the Sakura tree's since they are lovely to see and have a nice calming effect of some people so I know how oughly your riends love towards them and you must have reminded her of them so much she gave you that nickname which suits you
    Last edited by Princess Elli; 04-13-2010 at 04:44 AM.
    Thanks Nespa for the Avay and Sig
    Are you a fan?

Senior Member Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Elli View Post
    So don't take things like that too serious all though I do match the critiera for the top one but I am already Japanese born. If anyone called me that I just call them idiots and that I will be laughing when a drunk runs them over.

Edit:

Also I love the Sakura tree's since they are lovely to see and have a nice calming effect of some people so I know how oughly your riends love towards them and you must have reminded her of them so much she gave you that nickname which suits you
    I don't think Japanese people count. Anime and Manga is part of your culture after all. :3

And awe~ Thank you.
    It could be one of the reason why. She didnt tell me her reasons. All she said was, "I'll tell you later." And then she moved. :l

boopaloop! 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2011 12:53 PM
    Threads

1. It's simple: if you're intentionally behaving like a hyperactive 12 year old girl and using words such as "baka" and "kawaii" in English language because you think it's cute, even though you're actually annoying the hell out of normal, mentally sound people, you're a ******.

2 & 3. I don't even like Japanese culture today. I just don't discriminate against all of its aspects like some people do.

4 & 5. Nope.

boopaloop! BurntHouse has a reputation beyond repute BurntHouse has a reputation beyond repute BurntHouse has a reputation beyond repute BurntHouse has a reputation beyond repute BurntHouse has a reputation beyond repute BurntHouse has a reputation beyond repute BurntHouse has a reputation beyond repute BurntHouse has a reputation beyond repute BurntHouse has a reputation beyond repute BurntHouse has a reputation beyond repute BurntHouse has a reputation beyond repute BurntHouse's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-21-2010 07:53 AM
    Threads

... nothing here applies to me, lol
    THIS IS MY SIGNATURE!!!
    LOL

boopaloop! Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-05-2010 07:24 PM
    Threads

Ah, yes. The Japanophiles. I remember this particular group namely because I manage to remember most white kids that are so culturally deprived that they must steal another culture. While it is possible for a mutt like myself to become a Japanophile, excluding those of Japanese origin, it is a step harder than the pure white kids. Still, I don't pay much mind to this group nowadays. I just don't care enough. I still like anime, discuss it when someone brings it up in conversation, and am not afraid to bash down the bad elements of anime (Lucky Star, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc.). Typically, I only encounter resistance among hardcore fans on online forums or anime clubs. I still don't have the stomach to attend a con - my faith in humanity is already dwindling.

Japanophiles want to visit Japan as if it's the Mecca of their religion. They certainly treat it as such, proclaiming the island's greatness above all other locations on this globe. I just sigh and shake my head, since they usually can't back up their reasons with logic. It's not impossible to like anime and want to visit Japan; I personally would like to visit Japan again one day. But you have to possess a mental flexibility that allows you to diverge your love for anime and your want to travel the world.

face·less –adjective 2.lacking personal distinction or identity

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well, no one chooses where they are born, so it can't really be held against a person if they don't want to embrace their culutre, (or in this case, imbrace the culutre of another country.)

It is important that no matter what you feel, that you must keep in mind that there are other people around you that don't feel like having your opinion shoved down their throat. I know it really pisses me off when someone tries to pull that one on me for whatever reason, so why should I do the same. It's just easier to stay mild sometimes more so just out of respect of others.

Now, as for me personally, I'd move to Japan, but probably for none the reasons you'd think. More, my motivations are driven by highly political, social and economic reasons. And actually have very little (if any), to do with my media interests.

To each their own really. Sterotyping is sterotyping, if people bother you, ignore them. But do remember to be respectful of those around you as it will more than likely to be less provoking to others to make fun of you.
    Last edited by Skylar1; 04-13-2010 at 11:22 AM.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Holic View Post
    What is your term of a ******?
    Are you one? Whats the difference?
    Have you been called that before?
    Were you confused just as much as I was?
    Is there a fine line?
    Allow me to give you a description:

Japanophiles (I would use the other word, but can't) are SO obsessed with anime that they begin to emulate the Japanese culture within their everyday lives while abandoning their own. This wouldn't be too bad (even though it is) if they actually did it right. They attempt to act as if they were Japanese even though their actions are far, FAR from it. These are people who use the words "baka", kuso", "kawaii", and "arigato" in their everyday vocabulary and either use them wrong or pronounce them incorrectly (and this happens mostly because they can't be bothered to take a Japanese class, buy a lesson book, or even just listen to the damn anime they are squealing over). Use of Japanese words in everyday conversation usually turns into nicknames, ones that are also pronounced incorrectly.

Japanophiles love Japanese food; they can't get enough of the stuff. However, this love of "Japanese food" doesn't go any further than freeze-dried ramen (which they MUST eat with chopsticks) and grocery store sushi, having never been to a Japanese restaurant or an Asian grocery store, not because they don't know where one is but because they can't be bothered to actually sit down and figure it out.

Japanophiles want to move to Japan (not just visit; MOVE) because they hate living in [insert perfectly stable country here]. Japan is basically Mecca to these people and they can't wait to fill up on ramen and teriyaki, go to a bath house and ride Godzilla's back, without understanding the culture (without even TRYING to understand), the inevitable culture shock (its going to happen), the fact that Japan is a very expensive place to live in and that there is more to the Japanese culture than sumo wrestlers and Mario.

Japan to a normal person

Japan to a Japanophile
    Last edited by wolfgirl90; 04-13-2010 at 12:20 PM.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    Japan to a Japanophile
    *Yoink*

Edit: Am I not supposed to use that word....? >___>;
    For some reason, it is wordfiltered. Probably to make life difficult for drive-by trolls. The neologism 'beawoo' is reasonably wide-spread on AF, meaning effectively the same thing as it's wordfiltered anagram.

This moderator won't gun you down for using 'beawoo' (and I use it myself on occasion), even though it technically is circumventing the word-filter. I turn a blind eye at least regarding discussions of anime-fandom that has taken a sad and pathological turn (when used as an insult, I will be less lenient).

Doesn't go to say that other staff members will interpret the rules the same, though.
    Last edited by Eris; 04-13-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Straight Outta Motown! Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Paint Palette Mic Sunglasses
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-28-2014 02:35 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sleepy_Ninja313

Even though i'm black i've been stereotyped as many things, but this wasn't one of them. It does describe some people who were in my high school though, but i never hung around them. I mean i would like to go to a few countries one day, and japan is one of them. But because of a blog called Gaijin Smash, i know how jacked up it can be. It just weirds me out how obsessed these japanophiles can be. I though about going to an anime con once, but something in my brain keeps telling me "No! Don't do it man! Please don't it will terrify you!" I'm not sure if i ever will attend a anime con, but i might. I don't know. I'm not what you call obsessed. I do have a anime style when i draw, but i'm trying to find my own style. I like anime and manga, but i like american comics and cartoons as well. One of my personal favorites is The Boondocks. I also have interests in other things as well.
    Last edited by Token Black Guy; 04-13-2010 at 02:13 PM.
    Man that is whack!

Token Black Guy

Senior Member sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Ariel Fox Snowman
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-15-2019 01:15 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: pppascal

Hmm, I'm a huge anime fan, but that doesn't make me a Japanophile. I respect Japan and everything, but I'm not obsessed with it. I think the reason I'm not a Japanophile is because I'm already Asian. If I were white, I might seem Japanophile-like...

I also feel the same way about cons as Shingo Aburame. I've never been to one but I've always wanted to. But the other day I went to a small meet and I've got to admit that I was a little put off by the silly people there. Japanophiles, or anime otaku in general, are crazy.

Senior Member Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-28-2010 06:23 PM
    Threads

I'm sure most people looking in on this site would probably try to paint us all in the same light. You know what my response to that it?

Let people think what they want. It doesn't affect me in the least that they can't enjoy anime and have to throw some meaningless title at me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1269192592134.jpg‎
Views:	53
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	28200  
    ~Condey, The Northamerimori~

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Wooo~ A lot of response.

I suppose that I am half? Is there such thing? I'm not obsessed but I do tend to use "desu" and "hittai" or "Chouto matte" from time to time. Not all the time. Like spur of the moment? I have studied Japanese levels 1-3. And thats it. But I don't have it screwed in my head so I use small words like those mentioned above. But then.... I'm Chinese which makes me Asian... so...

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven
    I think the reason I'm not a Japanophile is because I'm already Asian. If I were white, I might seem Japanophile-like...
    I'm technically 'not' a beaboo? (Thank you, Eris~)

Plus I do not like the Chinese Culture... I mean there are SOME parts that are interesting but the rest from what I saw through my eyes and from what I hear and learned... It's so.... Stupid.... You can't wear black because it represents the dead and red is good luck.... but in Japan, red represents the dead.... and black is good luck.... And my two favorite colors are red and black. The deuce.... So the Chinese culture is out of the question for me to really stick my nose into.... And I just like the Japanese culture because it seems... better looking from my view. Even if Japanese people are very prideful and such. And I don't think I want to really learn about Korea.... All I know is that most of them can be dramatic.... Thus my 'ex' friend...
    (Sorry....No offense to the Chinese and Koreans.....)

Mainly, I would want to move to Japan (If my dream comes true, which is to be an EDM Dj/Producer. But I'm debating on being an international or just stick with Japan even if Japan is cut throat up there... x~x). Other than that I would just want to visit.

For conventions, I "love" going there mainly because of the art because I too draw the same similar style, and famous people. xD Other than that I "like" it because of the interesting costumes, and I do like dressing up.... And I might see a good cosplayer. I saw a good Sora Cosplayer and its actually a chick which I find quite interesting. It was all portrayed very well exactly like him. Power to the females. 8D

I know name calling and stereotyping shouldnt matter. I'm not mad at whom ever labeled me... (Even if I do dislike labels... but you cant do anything about it but brush it off....)
    I'm just curious. Thats all. So summing up all these different definitions...

Does that mean my sister is a beaboo/Japanophile?
    She constantly does say wrong words in wrong sentences... like...
    "Matta matte" When I asked her to hurry up. o___O
    And this....
    "NANI DESHYOOOO!!" When she's screaming at my brother... I mean that part makes sense.... just.....the accent killed me inside.
    She's crazy over Shojo manga/anime. She copies a lot of styles.... It dont matter. Just as long as there is a lot of black, japan and anime related. Any of those three.... (Don't you hate being role models for your siblings for those of you who have siblings and they too copy you?)
    She tries to act cute like.... Japanese girl A.D.D cute.... And she aint no A.D.D or A.D.H.D person... I'm A.D.D and the youngest brother is A.D.H.D. Thats it besides mother having a bit OCD....
    I mean I tend to do something out of the blue but at least it's durable and its not so fully exaggerated like.... Sakura from Naruto. God she's loud...

As for food.... Ew to the Cup Noodles... I ate a lot of those while mother was gone for a month....... I got sick and tired of it so I dont know how those um... Wannabe Japanese would eat it constantly? Claiming that they dont get tired of eating "ramen" when its instant noodles...... My sister did that... She got sick. Good for her....

I can not eat raw fish no matter what. I would just somehow feel nauseous. I'll try my best though... But I do love fish eggs. Plus pre-made sushi from stores like 7-11 is..... ew.... It doesnt taste fresh and I dont think california rolls are sushi.... *cough sister cough*

SES Member Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-16-2017 05:34 AM
    Threads

Good rule: If you're not Japanese, don't try to use terms like kawaii in everyday speech.

It's just dumb.
    If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.

Resident Japanese Girl
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2014 01:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

ZOMG!! Leik raman and sushi is like my favorite food desu!1 Japan is like so KAWAII. Youre all such bakas if you dont think so to!!!!eleven111

Wow... I just made myself sick.
    ELPHABA LIVES!!

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Funny thing about that dried out ramen stuff was that the other day I was at the store and I looked at the back of the packaging and it has 1500mg of Sodium PER MEAL!

LIKE HOLY-

No wonder the stuff is dirt cheap, it'll send you into cardiac arrest! o_0
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Simon Says...Die!!! Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-11-2011 12:32 PM
    Threads

i like anime but the rest of there culture isn't very interesting to me.
    Last edited by Zedekiah; 04-23-2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: /facepalm

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

I'm technically 'not' a beaboo? (Thank you, Eris~)
    Umm...not quite. Technically, a beaboo is ANY non-Japanese person who obsessively tries to emulate the Japanese culture. Because of this, one can be Asian and be a beaboo. If you are not Japanese and try to act as if you were, you are a beaboo.

Plus I do not like the Chinese Culture... I mean there are SOME parts that are interesting but the rest from what I saw through my eyes and from what I hear and learned... It's so.... Stupid.... You can't wear black because it represents the dead and red is good luck.... but in Japan, red represents the dead.... and black is good luck.... And my two favorite colors are red and black. The deuce.... So the Chinese culture is out of the question for me to really stick my nose into.... And I just like the Japanese culture because it seems... better looking from my view. Even if Japanese people are very prideful and such. And I don't think I want to really learn about Korea.... All I know is that most of them can be dramatic.... Thus my 'ex' friend...
    (Sorry....No offense to the Chinese and Koreans.....)
    Not one to get into people's business, but are you aware of the intricacies of the Japanese culture? The Chinese and the Japanese may have different cultures, but both have cultures deeply rooted in traditional customs and etiquette. You thought Chinese was bad? I'm not sure if you are aware, but here are some Japanese customs some people do not know about (or just forget when the moment hits them):
    -Don't stick chopsticks straight up in a bowl of rice
    -Never pass food from chopstick to chopstick
    -Take off your coat/jacket BEFORE entering a house (and don't put it back on until after you leave)
    -NEVER wear slippers on tatami mats
    -Don't cut your nails at night (don't ask, just do it)
    -NO TIPPING!!
    -Don't even try "going Dutch"; the Japanese do not what that is.
    -Never give gifts in sets of four (since "four" is pronounced the same as death) or nine
    -For the love of God, NEVER write a person's name (including your own) in red

It gets crazier.

Does that mean my sister is a beaboo/Japanophile?
    Judging from what you have said, she could be close, but is not there yet. Then again, she also sounds like what a little sister should sound like, so...

It doesnt taste fresh and I dont think california rolls are sushi.... *cough sister cough*
    California rolls ARE sushi. In fact, California rolls are a type of sushi called "makizushi"(巻寿司). For those who often make their own sushi, this is the type sushi that is made using a "makisu" (巻簾), a bamboo mat that you wrap the ingredients in.

First, the California Roll was actually invented by a Japanese sushi chef; it didn't just pop up out of nowhere. Second, the word "sushi" ([B]寿司) refers to the cooked vinegar rice, NOT the fish (raw fish is "sashimi [刺身]). Raw fish is the most common type of topping for sushi, but is not the only one that can be (or has been) used.

Though you might like that fact.
    Last edited by wolfgirl90; 04-14-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I personally really like Japanese culture. I don't obsess over it like most people though. The most Japanophile I have gotten since I was like, 13 was keeping a can of Japanese soda simply because it was Japanese. I believe I would do that for any country though.

I was at one point in time a beawoo, but it never crossed over the line. I had that "Cool Japan" aesthetic that people like Jonathan Ross were trying to pass off running through my head at all times. I never dropped in words like "baka" or kawaii" into my vocabulary, but I did try to learn Japanese.

One of the main reasons that mostly American children become Japanophiles is due to the lack of culture in their lives. Most caucasian children may not have a British or German culture to hang on to, so they will look for another culture that already has an established following in America and hold on to it. I have a Mexican background buy I was holding on to another culture just because I thought it was cooler than my own. I had this idea of "what is Mexico doing? Why can't we be more cool like the Japanese?" I have since burned out and like Japan, but I abandoned the idea of "Cool Japan" long ago. I discovered my own culture and now listen to mariachi and eat burritos daily. I'm one of the few that escaped, how many really get out of that stage?

ZOMG!! Leik raman and sushi is like my favorite food desu!1 Japan is like so KAWAII. Youre all such bakas if you dont think so to!!!!eleven111
    Not cool, Suzu! You can't say Japanophile if you're a Japanese person LIVING in Japan!

P.S. I eat Japanese and Chinese food with chopsticks if they're available. It's pretty beawooish if you eat other foods that aren't of the aforementioned origin with chopsticks.
    Last edited by Diocletian; 04-14-2010 at 08:09 PM.

SES Member Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-19-2010 04:38 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 3815-8940-4087-6200

Quote Originally Posted by Your Father View Post
    Most caucasian children may not have a British or German culture to hang on to
    We have a culture now?

Senior Member Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey has a reputation beyond repute Condey's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuzaki HD View Post
    We have a culture now?
    I know you're probably joking but I can't stand it when people say things like this. If the west didn't have such a vibrant culture, why would the east have been jumping through hoops to emulate it throughout the last three centuries?

Sorry, but I can't stand it when people think being white = having no culture. The west has a wonderful culture. Especially if you're German or British you should take some time to look up your cultural history and you'll see that you have a lot to be proud of (inb4 nazi jokes, hurr durr).

I think a lot of the reason why many white kids have the misguided idea that they don't have a culture is because they don't take the time to learn about their own, watch a lot of anime instead, and then start to think they are aficionados of Japanese culture and scorn their own cultural roots because they have no knowledge of it.

Even America has a great culture. American pop culture has set the standard for most of the last two centuries and the rest of the world has been emulating it. A lot of people don't know that anime's roots lie in old Disney cartoons; the big bulgy eyes of modern anime is reminiscent of the old Disney style.

Again, I apologize if I'm just overreacting. I have a tendency to do it. :-(
    Last edited by Condey; 04-14-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

I myself am a bit of a Hibernophile, but not so much that it defines my lifestyle.

I think that's the difference between a legitimate Japanophile and a beawoo, personally. One says, "Gosh, those Japanese sure are interesting and I'd like to know more about them/I'm glad I learned so much about them." The other is more along the lines of, "Gosh, Glorious Nippon is so sugoi, nothing like the baka kuso country I currently live in. I bet if I went over there the kawaii desu Japanese would understand and accept me!"
    Visit the Toy Dungeon Studios Store and buy a shirt or zipper pull, damnit!

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke23 View Post
    I myself am a bit of a Hibernophile, but not so much that it defines my lifestyle.

I think that's the difference between a legitimate Japanophile and a beawoo, personally. One says, "Gosh, those Japanese sure are interesting and I'd like to know more about them/I'm glad I learned so much about them." The other is more along the lines of, "Gosh, Glorious Nippon is so sugoi, nothing like the baka kuso country I currently live in. I bet if I went over there the kawaii desu Japanese would understand and accept me!"
    This post made me smile. Just thought I'd share that with you, Sanosuke.

God I used to be just like this, lol.

SES Member zansa has a reputation beyond repute zansa has a reputation beyond repute zansa has a reputation beyond repute zansa has a reputation beyond repute zansa has a reputation beyond repute zansa has a reputation beyond repute zansa has a reputation beyond repute zansa has a reputation beyond repute zansa has a reputation beyond repute zansa has a reputation beyond repute zansa has a reputation beyond repute zansa's Avatar
    Gil
    In Love
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2011 10:54 PM
    Threads

William Wallace could kill the japanese with 1 hit.

Resident Japanese Girl
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2014 01:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    I'm not sure if you are aware, but here are some Japanese customs some people do not know about (or just forget when the moment hits them):
    -Don't stick chopsticks straight up in a bowl of rice
    -Never pass food from chopstick to chopstick
    -Take off your coat/jacket BEFORE entering a house (and don't put it back on until after you leave)
    -NEVER wear slippers on tatami mats
    -Don't cut your nails at night (don't ask, just do it)
    -NO TIPPING!!
    -Don't even try "going Dutch"; the Japanese do not what that is.
    -Never give gifts in sets of four (since "four" is pronounced the same as death) or nine
    -For the love of God, NEVER write a person's name (including your own) in red

It gets crazier.
    The ones that are in bold have become a lot more common. I work at a restaurant and I see tons of customers "going Dutch" every day. And as for the jackets, it depends on what region you live in, but people rarely do that anymore. And as for the chopsticks, well kids nowadays just have bad manners. =P

Most of the "customs", like not cutting your nails at night, or not whistling at night are practically just old wives tales as of now. Although the numbers 4 and 9 are very taboo.

Quote Originally Posted by Your Father View Post
    Not cool, Suzu! You can't say Japanophile if you're a Japanese person LIVING in Japan!
    But I suck so horribly at being a Japanese person. D:
    ELPHABA LIVES!!

Closed Thread

Thread Information