AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I really don't get One Piece

Junior Member kitsunekun is on a distinguished road kitsunekun's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-16-2010 05:28 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default I really don't get One Piece

Hi, I've looked at bunches of pictures of One Piece and I read a chapter of it and I just don't get the appeal. I'm a big Bleach fan myself so I wanted to like Naruto and One Piece, too. I watched a bunch of episodes of Naruto and found it childish (sorry Naruto fans) but I just couldn't get into One Piece to watch any of the episodes.

Can you help me understand why the characters are so interesting or the setting or anything like that?

Thanks!

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

One Piece is, unlike what you'll find in Naruto or Bleach, focused much more on adventure than it is on fighting or on character drama. The world in which it takes place is incredibly intricate, and Eiichiro Oda has taken a lot of time to carve everything out. In this spirit it's absolutely thrilling. The level of story telling is above and beyond what manga such as Naruto or Bleach could ever hope to achieve, and it establishes itself a a true epic.

When beginning One Piece you need to remember, it started in the mid-90s, at a time when manga storytelling was different than it is today. As such, it evolves drastically both in terms of storytelling and art style.

These two things combined, the spirit of adventure and the evolution of it all, are what make One Piece so great. It just grows exponentially better the further one reads. I really can't express this point enough. It simply gets better and better, without bounds.

I think the best One Piece review I've ever come across is the following.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnet128
    The thing about One Piece is that it manages to perfectly capture the essence of shonen manga. Adventure. Comedy. Fantastic powers. Unique characters. Epic battles. The absolute value of friendship, loyalty, and big, big dreams. One Piece takes all of this and glorifies it.

It doesn't take itself too seriously. It's hard to when everything is just so plain odd. Character designs are so stylised, weird and wonderful that it may put first readers off. Special abilities are gained by eating unusual fruits (although the tried-and-tested shonen methods of just Working Really Hard or Being Badass Enough can work wonders as well). The main character is a pirate who's made of rubber, can't swim, and has about the mental capacity of a preschool child. Gags, puns and general insanity abound.

And yet somehow in the midst of all this patent ridiculosity... it manages to be cool. In that way that only shonen manga really can, it brings on the glorious spectacle and then some. Larger-than-life characters face up to one another, shouting their ambitions and ideologies for the world to hear, in glorious confrontations that are a roller-coaster ride of emotions, fists, blades and bullets. And you'd better believe they enjoy the ride.

In fact, One Piece somehow manages to both take itself deadly seriously, and refuse to take itself seriously in the slightest, at the same time, and not only make it work, but take all the best aspects of each of these two seemingly-opposing approaches and forget to bother with any of the flaws. It's fast-moving, but never too fast-moving. It's simple, but at the same time remarkably deep. It has a huge cast of secondary characters, essentially a freakshow of crazy caricatures and archetypes, and yet manages to avoid making any of them seem one-dimensional or uninteresting. It takes that oh-so-important storytelling element – the central cast, and potential additions thereto – and glorifies it by making the assembling of that cast (the protagonist's pirate crew) a major focus of the story. Potential members are chosen in pretty much exactly the way the audience would want – for being entertaining, cool, and providing something new to the mix.

And at over five hundred chapters and counting at the time of this writing, it's hard to deny that One Piece is epic. It will make you laugh like a kid at the circus. It will make tears spring to your eyes. It will keep you on the edge of your seat wanting more while still leaving you with a sense of gleeful satisfaction after every chapter. In short, One Piece nails it. If you haven't read it, then for godssakes do.
    It's the number one selling manga of all time in Japan, and one of the most popular manga amongst every age group (8-60) for a reason.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

3. Likes Lonely Fujoshin-chan liked this post
    Senior Member Mister_S is infamous around these parts Mister_S is infamous around these parts Mister_S is infamous around these parts Mister_S is infamous around these parts Mister_S is infamous around these parts Mister_S is infamous around these parts Mister_S is infamous around these parts Mister_S's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2012 04:35 PM
    Threads

That is probably the best sum up of one piece possible. Honestly when I first started watching one piece I disliked it, I mean childish caricatures and a very very simple plot ( I wanna be the king of the pirates !) I mean it just didn't appeal to me (being a 16 year old at the time), however once the story really started going and they arrived in the grand line I just couldn't help watching more and more.

The grand line seemed to be THE obstacle stopping luffy from achieving his goal, however once he got there we soon realize that it's just the beginning and it just keeps getting harder and harder. The more the story progresses the more you want the strawhats to succeed even if they do have somewhat childish dreams.

The more you read the more you feel for the characters and the more you start to learn how to dream like a kid again.

"Life's a game, no one gets out alive"

5. Likes Lonely Fujoshin-chan liked this post
    Junior Member kitsunekun is on a distinguished road kitsunekun's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-16-2010 05:28 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Gjallarhorn View Post
    One Piece is, unlike what you'll find in Naruto or Bleach, focused much more on adventure than it is on fighting or on character drama. The world in which it takes place is incredibly intricate, and Eiichiro Oda has taken a lot of time to carve everything out. In this spirit it's absolutely thrilling. The level of story telling is above and beyond what manga such as Naruto or Bleach could ever hope to achieve, and it establishes itself a a true epic.

When beginning One Piece you need to remember, it started in the mid-90s, at a time when manga storytelling was different than it is today. As such, it evolves drastically both in terms of storytelling and art style.

These two things combined, the spirit of adventure and the evolution of it all, are what make One Piece so great. It just grows exponentially better the further one reads. I really can't express this point enough. It simply gets better and better, without bounds.

I think the best One Piece review I've ever come across is the following.

It's the number one selling manga of all time in Japan, and one of the most popular manga amongst every age group (8-60) for a reason.

Thanks! That helps. And thank you to Mister_S as well.

Senior Member Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pokedex 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2012 01:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I have seen a few episodes before and I'm with you I really don't understand it very well. I personally like the manga more then the anime. You were right to read the manga first.
    Gero Server Guru

Junior Member staticwarz is on a distinguished road staticwarz's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2010 01:05 AM
    Threads

well i think you should just read or watch some more of it before really deciding if u like it or not reading a chapter and seeing some pictures are are not really gonna do much when just starting the series in my opinion the series starts off kinda slow then gets way better as the story progresses i thought this show was boring when i first heard of it but my friend gave the first season(62 ep.) to me to watch that then decide if i wanted to keep watching i ended up watch every episode(350+) that was out so far that week(yes i have a lot of free time)
    Last edited by staticwarz; 04-17-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Senior Member Bassoonista has a reputation beyond repute Bassoonista has a reputation beyond repute Bassoonista has a reputation beyond repute Bassoonista has a reputation beyond repute Bassoonista has a reputation beyond repute Bassoonista has a reputation beyond repute Bassoonista has a reputation beyond repute Bassoonista has a reputation beyond repute Bassoonista has a reputation beyond repute Bassoonista has a reputation beyond repute Bassoonista has a reputation beyond repute Bassoonista's Avatar
    Gil
    Inpain
    Gifts Rainbow Ribbon 104 - Cubone Saxophone
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2015 01:33 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1924-2316-9778-0248

Instead of raving on and on about One Piece (because really that can cause somebody to overhype something and not enjoy it as much.) I'm just going to say that for a lot of people One Piece is a series that takes a while to really get into.

You should just ignore all of the hype of how it's so "epic" and go at it yourself. One chapter is not anywhere near enough to judge this series.

~Made by me~
    (It's actually of my bassoon!)

Junior Member goku7861000 is on a distinguished road goku7861000's Avatar
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-21-2012 07:59 PM
    Threads

Default Re: I really don't get One Piece

One piece isn't really the best anime out there lol, not even bleach and naruto. Well i do prefer bleach and naruto to one piece, but same here op is only for those who can stomach the worst animation and not so epic fights. Watch animes like deathnote or inyuusaha. Remember, even if manga's sell more that doesn't make it any good, well except the legend, dbz

Senior Member Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth's Avatar
    Gil
    Innocent
    Gifts Coffee Cheshire Cat Hot Dog With Ketchup
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-15-2015 11:26 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by goku7861000 View Post
    One piece isn't really the best anime out there lol, not even bleach and naruto. Well i do prefer bleach and naruto to one piece, but same here op is only for those who can stomach the worst animation and not so epic fights. Watch animes like deathnote or inyuusaha. Remember, even if manga's sell more that doesn't make it any good, well except the legend, dbz
    Why would it the worst animation? Its just a different art style. Which i find really refreshing from the animes like bleach or deathnote.

12. Likes Lonely Fujoshin-chan liked this post
    Junior Member Skyzong is on a distinguished road Skyzong's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-28-2012 01:54 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by kitsunekun View Post
    I'm a big Bleach fan myself
    Welp, that pretty much explains it.

Junior Member nazielle is on a distinguished road nazielle's Avatar
    Goofy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2014 12:45 AM
    Threads

I just like to say that I'm also a fan of Bleach but comparing it to One Piece, I don't think it's a good idea, since Bleach is more focused on the characters drama and fighting while One Piece is focused on the adventure of the crew. I love both of this anime. They both have something interesting that makes you follow every episode.

Junior Member Lonely Fujoshin-chan is on a distinguished road Lonely Fujoshin-chan's Avatar
    Gil
    Chatty
    Gifts One Piece Flag Soul Eater Shinigami-sama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2014 02:13 AM
    In front of my PC, forever watching anime
    Threads

Wink Re: I really don't get One Piece

I agree with nazielle when it comes to comparing the two, and I love Bleach and all, but One Piece is my ultimate love.
    I've watched and re-watched it so many times. I just love the adventure and the childishness and the fact that even though it seems childish it's so intricate in plot, that before I know it I'm bawling my eyes out. Watching One Piece is like reliving your childhood adventures and daydreams. The characters, no matter for how short a time they appear in the anime, are so full of depth one can believe that they're real people. I
    guess I just love all of it.

Btw, the art might start "bad" but eventually improves and becomes its own signature style. One Piece isn't some stagnant anime that goes through the same plot schemes over and over again, it grows just as much as the characters.

Junior Member TheCuboid is on a distinguished road TheCuboid's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-27-2014 04:11 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Skyzong View Post
    Welp, that pretty much explains it.
    This.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2015 03:00 PM
    Threads

I think it was a good idea, with great characters that just took too long.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "How to Be an Anime Character" and "Lesbian Fairy Tales" available from Amazon.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information