AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: who likes what.

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original Japanese.

35 56.45%
  • English dubbed

19 30.65%
  • Other*

8 12.90%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: does anyone like dubbed anime??

Senior Member Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts M1911 Battleship Favorite
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-03-2013 07:31 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

They're okay for me, ofc the JP subbed original is better, since it's 100% into the Anime(they make it look better and doesn't they have to recreate some audio sometimes when they're dubbing?)-
    Heeey!

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Quote Originally Posted by Doom85 View Post
    No, they don't. FUNimation did a poll that got thousands of participants, and people who preferred watching dubbed was a little over half. Not to mention American VAs get large crowds of fans at conventions. "Almost every" is way off.
    Correct. Most anime fans prefer the dubbed versions of anime (this includes youngsters to people who have been watching anime for decades). Anime fandom is a niche anyway and only a small amount of those people even care about the Japanese version, let alone actually watch it; and then only a certain amount of those people watch the Japanese version exclusively. I mean, what sense would it make for a distribution company to go through the hard work of dubbing an anime if only a few people actually cared (then again, most also release the Japanese versions of certain shows and STILL nobody buys the DVDs)? And why would only the dubbed version of it appear on television it that was the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Taloth View Post
    They're okay for me, ofc the JP subbed original is better, since it's 100% into the Anime(they make it look better and doesn't they have to recreate some audio sometimes when they're dubbing?)-
    Not really, no. Unless the anime has to undergo some big edits (like, 4Kids big), the audio usually remains unchanged.

Here's the thing: I believe that most people have a grudge of sorts against American distribution companies (4Kids, FUNimation, etc) that they have not let go since the days of Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Dragonball Z. However, ironically, I doubt that any of these people noticed (or cared) about the changes that were made when they were watching the show back then. Honestly, despite the huge edits that were made with these shows, who still watched them? Who noticed or cared?
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Little Green Miko Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Gifts Kawaiislice Aria Neko Pluto Garnet Orb
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2023 10:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kagxme4988 PSN ID: KagomeMiko

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    Correct. Most anime fans prefer the dubbed versions of anime (this includes youngsters to people who have been watching anime for decades). Anime fandom is a niche anyway and only a small amount of those people even care about the Japanese version, let alone actually watch it; and then only a certain amount of those people watch the Japanese version exclusively. I mean, what sense would it make for a distribution company to go through the hard work of dubbing an anime if only a few people actually cared (then again, most also release the Japanese versions of certain shows and STILL nobody buys the DVDs)? And why would only the dubbed version of it appear on television it that was the case?
    That's a little too generic...Most anime fans aren't all in the US. No one has polled the entire world, have they? So you really can't go around saying "most anime fans prefer dubbed anime"

Besides...Nearly *everyone* I've spoken to prefers subs...It's pretty rare for me, at least, to run across a dub lover...:x Even here-on this forum seems that a lot more people prefer the subs over the dubs. Though there are those who adore dubs-and that's thier perogative.
    How'd You Like That On Your Lawn?!
    "I may be empty, but I'm not worthless!"

...Clear...

Senior Member Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2010 09:06 PM
    Threads

*reads over comments*

I think some hidden hostility is in here on both sides. Let's try not having the ultimately useless Sub vs Dub debate, which will just end with flaming, a locked thread and possible bans.

In the states, the number is mainly with dubs, but when the rest of the world is brought up, it's sub. Why? Some dubs in certain countries are absolutely horrid.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

I bet most of the people stating they prefer subs in this topic are from the states. It's either just preference (I personally only listen to Japanese music) or they listened to a few bad dubs and haven't given any others a shot.

Senior Member Kalila Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kalila Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kalila Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kalila Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kalila Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kalila Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kalila Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kalila Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kalila Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kalila Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kalila Chan has a reputation beyond repute Kalila Chan's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Eye Patch 025 - Pikachu Shark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-25-2012 02:13 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mikkachan Steam ID: kalilachan

I can watch both Dub and Sub, but theres dubs I cant stand. Like the Death Note dun for example. Plus I think people prefer to watch dubs so they dont need to read subs all the time. So for those who likes Dubs theres nothing wrong with that,

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Higurashi Kagome View Post
    That's a little too generic...Most anime fans aren't all in the US. No one has polled the entire world, have they? So you really can't go around saying "most anime fans prefer dubbed anime"

Besides...Nearly *everyone* I've spoken to prefers subs...It's pretty rare for me, at least, to run across a dub lover...:x Even here-on this forum seems that a lot more people prefer the subs over the dubs. Though there are those who adore dubs-and that's thier perogative.
    Pardon, but how can you accuse me of being "generic" when your response is just as bad? The fact that everyone that you met likes subs really doesn't mean anything beyond the fact that everyone that you have met likes subs (in fact, its a logical fallacy to assume otherwise). And just because you have barely met anyone who likes dubs doesn't mean that there aren't any, or rather, that what I said about them was wrong (again, assuming so is a fallacy). The same thing goes for the population on the Anime Forum.

Not saying that your argument is entirely incorrect, but that its rather off to criticize my opinion (whether it is right or wrong) by forming your opinion basically the exact same way.

Sure, FUNimation didn't poll the entire world, but since when has it ever been a strict requirement to poll an entire population in order to conduct a survey (in fact, doing so kind of defeats one of the advantages of conducting a survey)?
    This is my war face.

Little Green Miko Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Gifts Kawaiislice Aria Neko Pluto Garnet Orb
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2023 10:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kagxme4988 PSN ID: KagomeMiko

Pardon, but how can you accuse me of being "generic" when your response is just as bad? The fact that everyone that you met likes subs really doesn't mean anything beyond the fact that everyone that you have met likes subs (in fact, its a logical fallacy to assume otherwise). And just because you have barely met anyone who likes dubs doesn't mean that there aren't any, or rather, that what I said about them was wrong (again, assuming so is a fallacy). The same thing goes for the population on the Anime Forum.

Not saying that your argument is entirely incorrect, but that its rather off to criticize my opinion (whether it is right or wrong) by forming your opinion basically the exact same way.

Sure, FUNimation didn't poll the entire world, but since when has it ever been a strict requirement to poll an entire population in order to conduct a survey (in fact, doing so kind of defeats one of the advantages of conducting a survey)?
    Mew. That wasn't my opinion really. I know perfectly well there are those who prefer dubs-and I have met those that do...I was merely stating the fact that nearly everyone *I've* met prefers subs to dubs. No opinion there.

Though to take the poll thing into a closer account-(however what I'm about to say next *is* in fact opinion...so-disregard it if you wish) I believe that most people who take a poll put out by a dubbing company wouldn't normally put down dubs anyway-world or no world poll. :d ♥♥♥
    How'd You Like That On Your Lawn?!
    "I may be empty, but I'm not worthless!"

...Clear...

Senior Member Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2010 10:15 PM
    Threads

Though to take the poll thing into a closer account-(however what I'm about to say next *is* in fact opinion...so-disregard it if you wish) I believe that most people who take a poll put out by a dubbing company wouldn't normally put down dubs anyway-world or no world poll. :d ♥♥♥
    -but the poll was online, completely anonymous. And FUNimation DVDs have subs as well, which obviously some DVD watchers watch exclusively. If the only people buying DVDs were dub-lovers, then Sentai wouldn't be succeeding the way they are with their sub-only releases.
    My name is Kakashi Hatake. What I like....I don't feel like telling you that. My dreams for the future...hmm, never really thought about that. As for my hobbies...well, I have many hobbies.

Kimberly makkuro kiba has a reputation beyond repute makkuro kiba has a reputation beyond repute makkuro kiba has a reputation beyond repute makkuro kiba has a reputation beyond repute makkuro kiba has a reputation beyond repute makkuro kiba has a reputation beyond repute makkuro kiba has a reputation beyond repute makkuro kiba has a reputation beyond repute makkuro kiba has a reputation beyond repute makkuro kiba has a reputation beyond repute makkuro kiba has a reputation beyond repute makkuro kiba's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-27-2010 04:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't mind dubbed anime. Makes it easier on me! Some anime do have horrible dubs though and it makes me mad...
    Click my Shadow Lugia~ You know you want to~

Gil
    Wicked
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Mew. That wasn't my opinion really. I know perfectly well there are those who prefer dubs-and I have met those that do...I was merely stating the fact that nearly everyone *I've* met prefers subs to dubs. No opinion there.
    *Sigh* An opinion is a subjective statement about a topic based on one's interpretation of facts and/or their emotions and experiences. Since you made the statement that "Besides, nearly everyone [you've] spoken to prefers subs", I can easily infer that your opinion is that my statement ("Most anime fans prefer dubs") is wrong or at the very least doesn't make sense to you based on you what have witnessed (why else would you say that if that wasn't what you were trying to say?). Your statement is subjective because it is based on people that YOU have met (your experience on the matter), making it, by definition, an opinion. You didn't have to explicitly state that what you said was your opinion (or not) in order for me to figure it out or to counter against it.

But that's really not what we are talking about, so moving on...
    Quote Originally Posted by Doom85 View Post
    -but the poll was online, completely anonymous. And FUNimation DVDs have subs as well, which obviously some DVD watchers watch exclusively. If the only people buying DVDs were dub-lovers, then Sentai wouldn't be succeeding the way they are with their sub-only releases.
    Precisely. First, the poll was conducted on FUNimation's website and more than just "dub-lovers" visit the site. FUNimation has plenty of subbed episodes on their site and for some anime like Spice and Wolf, Soul Eater, Le Chevalier D'Eon, One Piece, and Strike Witches they have both the subbed versions and the dubbed versions (in fact, FUNimation usually just has the subbed versions of their anime until the DVDs have been out for a while). Second, FUNimation is much more than a "dubbing company" (even 4Kids is much more than that). They are involved in many programs from Dragonball Z and Trinity Blood to Sonic X and Yu-Gi-Oh to Code Lyoko and Silverwing (dubbing is one of the things that FUNimation does but its not the only thing). "Sub-lovers" visit the site because they want to watch the titles that FUNimation has, not necessarily because they support the company itself (people who visit FUNimation's site to watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood are there to watch the show, not necessarily to support FUNimation).

@Doom85: I personally have no problem with what Sentai does. Sub-only releases are a great way to cater to those who enjoy subs (and those who have not let go of that inherent grudge against mainstream anime).

If "sub-lovers" decided to buy DVDs from FUNimation, 4Kids, ADV Films, Viz Media, Manga Entertainment, etc just for the subbed version, that wouldn't be much of a problem. So long as the money is being paid, its not much of an issue as to what version they are actually watching (the company is getting the money regardless of what version a person decides to watch on the DVD once they have purchased it).

Of course, you and I both know that both "sub-lovers" AND "dub-lovers" have people who are guilty of obtaining their anime in other (less legal) ways so both Sentai and FUNimation (among others) have issues when it comes to DVD sales.
    This is my war face.

Member Rageth has a reputation beyond repute Rageth has a reputation beyond repute Rageth has a reputation beyond repute Rageth has a reputation beyond repute Rageth has a reputation beyond repute Rageth has a reputation beyond repute Rageth has a reputation beyond repute Rageth has a reputation beyond repute Rageth has a reputation beyond repute Rageth has a reputation beyond repute Rageth has a reputation beyond repute Rageth's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-18-2010 01:43 PM
    Threads

Mostly I watch anime in the original japanese. But series like Ghost In The Shell and Cowboy Bebop have excellent voice work.
    Chaos makes life fun, but order is a safety net.

Senior Member Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

@Doom85: I personally have no problem with what Sentai does. Sub-only releases are a great way to cater to those who enjoy subs (and those who have not let go of that inherent grudge against mainstream anime).
    I love what Sentai is doing too, they've gotten so many licenses lately that there is something for just about everyone. From Sentai, I've got the two Clannad sets, the first Ghost Hound set, the first Gintama set, and I picked up Hells Girl: Two Mirrors set 1 today. Aside from finishing the ones I listed, I also want to pick up Tears to Tiara and they also licensed Guin Saga which I'll definitely pick up when they release it.

I do primarly watch dubs with most DVDs except for ones with really bad dubs (generally the older dubs), but I've certainly got no problems with sub-only releases. Heck, I'm considering passing on upgrading to the upcoming Clannad dub set. It sounds good from what I've heard, but I loved the sub cast so much that I couldn't see myself having to own the other version if I have to pay more again to get it.
    My name is Kakashi Hatake. What I like....I don't feel like telling you that. My dreams for the future...hmm, never really thought about that. As for my hobbies...well, I have many hobbies.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Actually Sentai is pretty quiet about the stuff that they release, so we have no idea what's selling for them. We can just assume that if they're still releasing it, it's doing at least breaking even. They also apparently don't have a great licensing department since they almost licensed a series that was already licensed by Bandai Entertainment (sola).

I'm glad that they're releasing Golgo 13, but 45 dollars for nine dubbed episodes? I can't justify that.

Simple Truth CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2010 02:07 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I like dubbed anime. The reason's simple. I find it more comforting and enjoyable to just watch and listen than to read, watch and listen on the same time. It's only when there's no good dub available, that I watch anime in sub.

Though, the only anime that I'm watching anime right now is subbed Bleach on a weekly basis. I may watch some few old animes later on, which are all in dub.
    "To do is to be" - Descartes, "To be is to do" - Voltaire, "Do be do be do" - Sinatra.

NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by NICOLASCAGEINABEARSUIT View Post
    Actually Sentai is pretty quiet about the stuff that they release, so we have no idea what's selling for them. We can just assume that if they're still releasing it, it's doing at least breaking even. They also apparently don't have a great licensing department since they almost licensed a series that was already licensed by Bandai Entertainment (sola).
    -well, we can guess Clannad, Ghost Hound, and Tears to Tiara sold well, since Sentai is going back and dubbing them

-that was more Bandai Visual's (the licensor in Japan) fault. They gave Sentai a license package (this is often how licenses work, you have to take a package of them, explaining why often a company will announce a few winners along with a stinker or two at the same time) and failed to realize they had already given an anime in that package to Bandai Entertainment a few years ago. Obviously Sentai can't be expected to know every anime another company owns, so they took it. Since obviously Sentai gave the rights back, I think it's only fair that Bandai Visual give them another license so that Sentai doesn't waste money because of BV's mistake

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information