AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: SeaWorld Trainer Killed by Killer Whale

  1. #1
    Senior Member Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil's Avatar
    Gil
    1,370.94
    Gender
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Gifts Black Guitar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2014 08:32 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    22
    Threads
    62
    Posts
    1,620
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    1023
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: OG_APPLEJACKS

    Default SeaWorld Trainer Killed by Killer Whale

    Read it here: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/24/kil...ath/index.html

    CNN - A killer whale killed a trainer Wednesday afternoon at SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium in Orlando, Florida, a public information officer for the Orange County Sheriff's Office said.
    The 40-year-old woman, identified by sheriff's spokesman Jim Solomons as Dawn Brancheau, was in the whale holding area about 2 p.m. when "she apparently slipped or fell into the tank and was fatally injured by one of the whales," he said.

    Yeah. I was watching the news yesterday and heard about it. It was during a show when the killer whale named Tilly leaped from the tank and attacked her. SeaWorld however, claims that she slipped and fell in. Many onlookers have home-video evidence of the whale attacking her.

  2. #2
    Resident Japanese Girl
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi's Avatar
    Gil
    100,729.03
    Gender
    Gifts Cake Cake The one Ring
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2014 01:05 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chiba, Japan
    Threads
    24
    Posts
    1,309
    Blog Entries
    117
    AL Lyrics
    39
    Rep Power
    3082

    Default

    Well they ain't called "killer whales" for nothing. =P

    Lame jokes aside, it must have been really terrible and I offer my deepest condolences to her family, friends, and co-workers.
    ELPHABA LIVES!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    1,354.35
    Gender
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Gifts Trollface Beer Cookie
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-27-2014 10:10 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    3541'38.05" N 5124'41.45" E
    Age
    29
    Threads
    136
    Posts
    4,100
    Rep Power
    799

    Default

    Yeah, killer whales... they do that often. Probably didn't like the trainer, or being held in captivity for so long, or both.


  4. #4
    boopaloop! Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth's Avatar
    Gil
    70,180.02
    Gender
    Gifts Dr Who Tardis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-07-2010 03:17 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Threads
    27
    Posts
    3,503
    Rep Power
    185

    Default

    Pet 'em.
    泥の川に浸かった人生も悪くはない
    一度きりで終わるなら



  5. #5
    4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    101,007.68
    Gender
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-06-2014 09:51 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Tau Ceti V
    Age
    27
    Threads
    616
    Posts
    19,643
    Blog Entries
    619
    Rep Power
    14700

    Default

    Why the media circus? I don't see why this is different from any other work-related death.

    When a carpenter falls to his death on a work-site it doesn't end up being international news.

  6. #6
    boopaloop! Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth's Avatar
    Gil
    70,180.02
    Gender
    Gifts Dr Who Tardis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-07-2010 03:17 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Threads
    27
    Posts
    3,503
    Rep Power
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Why the media circus? I don't see why this is different from any other work-related death.

    When a carpenter falls to his death on a work-site it doesn't end up being international news.
    A slave rose against its master.
    泥の川に浸かった人生も悪くはない
    一度きりで終わるなら



  7. #7
    Senior Member Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Electric Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    5,603.68
    Gender
    My Mood
    Bored
    Gifts Eternal Moon Article Mercury Star Wand Top Tuxedo Mask Rose
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Not Earth
    Age
    32
    Threads
    77
    Posts
    4,421
    Blog Entries
    306
    Rep Power
    6587

    Default

    According to the news, this whale was involved in attacks where he killed other people before.

    So, why did they continue to put him in theme parks?
    @tumblr | @moonpixels | 月の光は愛のメッセージ

  8. #8
    4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    101,007.68
    Gender
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-06-2014 09:51 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Tau Ceti V
    Age
    27
    Threads
    616
    Posts
    19,643
    Blog Entries
    619
    Rep Power
    14700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    A slave rose against its master.
    I doubt it. From what I understand, it simply dragged the trainer under the water. Since this is something that wouldn't harm another killer whale, it's likely it was just playing. It's a lot to expect it to have enough understanding of the anatomy of humans to realize we can't stay under the water for extended periods of time.

  9. #9
    boopaloop! Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth's Avatar
    Gil
    70,180.02
    Gender
    Gifts Dr Who Tardis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-07-2010 03:17 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Threads
    27
    Posts
    3,503
    Rep Power
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    I doubt it. From what I understand, it simply dragged the trainer under the water. Since this is something that wouldn't harm another killer whale, it's likely it was just playing. It's a lot to expect it to have enough understanding of the anatomy of humans to realize we can't stay under the water for extended periods of time.
    That's not how the average reader sees it. The story is more popular than a carpenter dying, because it resonates with people. It's an emotional apppeal. The reader is baited, they read the story, they relate to it, and they have a positive emotional response. This increases the chance that the reader will return to the same news source and a chance for the process to repeat. The more people who visit the news source, the more ad revenue is generated for the news source.
    泥の川に浸かった人生も悪くはない
    一度きりで終わるなら



  10. #10
    4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    101,007.68
    Gender
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-06-2014 09:51 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Tau Ceti V
    Age
    27
    Threads
    616
    Posts
    19,643
    Blog Entries
    619
    Rep Power
    14700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    That's not how the average reader sees it. The story is more popular than a carpenter dying, because it resonates with people. It's an emotional apppeal. The reader is baited, they read the story, they relate to it, and they have a positive emotional response. This increases the chance that the reader will return to the same news source and a chance for the process to repeat. The more people who visit the news source, the more ad revenue is generated for the news source.
    You don't need some oversized tuna for publicity. You can whip up a sob-story about basically any work-related death.

    Say a the pool cleaner slips and cracks their head open:
    If the person who died was young, s/he was taken before his/her time.
    If the person who died was old, s/he only had (some small number) of years until retirement.
    If the person had a family, you can write about little timmy who will be wondering when daddy will come home and play ball with him / similar story about mommy.
    If the person didn't have a family, you can write about how s/he lived alone all his/her life.

    You've just got to put some effort into it.
    Last edited by Eris; 02-25-2010 at 03:28 PM.

  11. #11
    boopaloop! Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth's Avatar
    Gil
    70,180.02
    Gender
    Gifts Dr Who Tardis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-07-2010 03:17 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Threads
    27
    Posts
    3,503
    Rep Power
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    You don't need some oversized tuna for publicity. You can whip up a sob-story about basically any work-related death.

    Say a the pool cleaner slips and cracks their head open:
    If the person who died was young, s/he was taken before his/her time.
    If the person who died was old, s/he only had (some small number) of years until retirement.
    If the person had a family, you can write about little timmy who will be wondering when daddy will come home and play ball with him / similar story about mommy.
    If the person didn't have a family, you can write about how s/he lived alone all his/her life.

    You've just got to put some effort into it.
    That's true, but you said, "when a carpenter falls to his death on a work-site", and didn't give any particulars.

    There are other factors that determine which stories get priority. It's possible that there aren't any recent events that fit the descriptions you gave or ones that any major news sources are aware of. There's also the fact that the stories they print will generally need to be true, lest they risk damaging their credibility. They could jeopardize their business if they published just any ol' made-up story. Furthermore, the political climate, i.e., Obama, may be causing the killer whale story to receive more importance, because of the master-slave analogies that can be drawn from that.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 02-25-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    泥の川に浸かった人生も悪くはない
    一度きりで終わるなら



  12. #12
    Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    37,456.78
    Gender
    My Mood
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2014 10:41 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, United States
    Age
    24
    Threads
    47
    Posts
    2,027
    Rep Power
    2243
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Moonlight View Post
    .So, why did they continue to put him in theme parks?
    Apparently, Tilikum is one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) killer whale in captivity. He is the breeding male for a lot of SeaWorld's whales and because of this, he is worth millions of millions of dollars. They don't want to isolate him because that will just make his attitude worse (he's apparently very aggressive at times; his only interaction with the crowd is to splash water) and because they want him to continue to be part of the social structure of the other whales.

    What happened was sad and my condolences to the family and co-workers. However, killer whales have that name for a reason. They are very intelligent and sophisticated marine predators (they are actually dolphins not whales). People often forget that killer whales are predators. Hard to forget when you are training an over 12,000 pound animal but easy to forget when one is watching the same animal bouncing a ball.
    This is my war face.

    This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

  13. #13
    >:O I will blitz YOU! Nighthawk has a reputation beyond repute Nighthawk has a reputation beyond repute Nighthawk has a reputation beyond repute Nighthawk has a reputation beyond repute Nighthawk has a reputation beyond repute Nighthawk has a reputation beyond repute Nighthawk has a reputation beyond repute Nighthawk has a reputation beyond repute Nighthawk has a reputation beyond repute Nighthawk has a reputation beyond repute Nighthawk has a reputation beyond repute Nighthawk's Avatar
    Gil
    22,418.38
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-02-2012 04:31 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Coruscant
    Threads
    14
    Posts
    397
    Rep Power
    204663

    Default

    "Killer Whales" have that name because of their hunting behaviour, not because they are "man hunters". There have been no documented Orca attacks on humans outside a dolphinarium. Like Eris i doubt there was any intention of killing involved.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.

    GaruPan

  14. #14
    boopaloop! Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth's Avatar
    Gil
    70,180.02
    Gender
    Gifts Dr Who Tardis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-07-2010 03:17 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Threads
    27
    Posts
    3,503
    Rep Power
    185

    Default

    Why do you guys think that the intent of the killer whale is relevant? If we suspect that it's guilty, are we going to "try it as an adult" for aggravated murder?
    泥の川に浸かった人生も悪くはない
    一度きりで終わるなら



  15. #15
    The Fire Rage In Meh! Galactic Pretty Boy has a reputation beyond repute Galactic Pretty Boy has a reputation beyond repute Galactic Pretty Boy has a reputation beyond repute Galactic Pretty Boy has a reputation beyond repute Galactic Pretty Boy has a reputation beyond repute Galactic Pretty Boy has a reputation beyond repute Galactic Pretty Boy has a reputation beyond repute Galactic Pretty Boy has a reputation beyond repute Galactic Pretty Boy has a reputation beyond repute Galactic Pretty Boy has a reputation beyond repute Galactic Pretty Boy has a reputation beyond repute Galactic Pretty Boy's Avatar
    Gil
    515.34
    Gender
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Gifts Favorite Systems Xbox 360 Gabumon
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-30-2013 02:54 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Queens,NewYork
    Age
    21
    Threads
    14
    Posts
    174
    Rep Power
    306
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: StormTroopedOUT

    Default

    Killer Whale kills trainer,such delightful irony.
    *Glittering Crux*

  16. #16
    Awaken Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1 has a reputation beyond repute Ericgamer1's Avatar
    Gil
    1,521,640.89
    Gender
    My Mood
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2011 09:49 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Age
    23
    Threads
    303
    Posts
    3,410
    Blog Entries
    123
    Rep Power
    5632

    Default

    Yeah. That Whale is a killer alright.

    I mean, last summer I went to see the show, and the thing splashed water all over me! Clearly a warning sign of rebellion.
    Last edited by Ericgamer1; 02-25-2010 at 05:19 PM.

    ^by Hakuchuumu^

    ^Xey Oiz^

    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

  17. #17
    Senior Member John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson's Avatar
    Gil
    914,821.98
    Gender
    My Mood
    Bored
    Gifts Mars Crystal Henshin Pen Rainbow Ribbon Sagittarius
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2014 12:03 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    221b Baker Street
    Threads
    51
    Posts
    1,257
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    3006

    Default

    It's a real shame, and all of those people were witnesses to that. I'd be scarred for life. To have attended something that was supposed to be fun and have it turn into a tragedy in the end.

    Talk about a freak accident...or two. ._.

    "They didn't need to tell eachother. They never needed to tell eachother."



  18. #18
    Senior Member Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall's Avatar
    Gil
    21,272.60
    Gender
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-06-2012 04:02 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I live at my house. haha I know right hilarious?
    Threads
    61
    Posts
    2,331
    AW Wallpapers
    1
    Rep Power
    2442

    Default

    Why the media circus? I don't see why this is different from any other work-related death.

    When a carpenter falls to his death on a work-site it doesn't end up being international news.
    I agree, they act like it should be a safe job to have. It's ridiculous. Also the notion of killing animals that harm humans is ludicrous. You don't stop using a scaffold because someone falls off it. Anyway, it's all just silly.
    That's not how the average reader sees it. The story is more popular than a carpenter dying, because it resonates with people. It's an emotional apppeal. The reader is baited, they read the story, they relate to it, and they have a positive emotional response. This increases the chance that the reader will return to the same news source and a chance for the process to repeat. The more people who visit the news source, the more ad revenue is generated for the news source.
    Do you have an idea what you're even talking about? "a positive emotional response"? That doesn't even apply. Also when you say that maybe there weren't any other stories to run, that's silly too, because people are dying DAILY I mean it's not like sometimes there just aren't any deaths, people are dropping like flies, you have to realize that. If they want a death related story, they can find one -.-;

    and furthermore:
    Obama, may be causing the killer whale story to receive more importance, because of the master-slave analogies that can be drawn from that.
    ...Um... seriously?
    Do you even think before you type?

    I don't even think I need to point out how stupid that comment was, it speaks VOLUMES for itself.
    Last edited by Annie Hall; 02-25-2010 at 05:41 PM.



  19. #19
    angel in flight poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra's Avatar
    Gil
    17,700.00
    Gender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2010 06:40 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    20
    Threads
    9
    Posts
    885
    Rep Power
    885

    Default

    supposedly tilikum's behavior had been improving since the 1999 attack. i'm assuming that they felt he was returning to normal behavior and could be around others...

    my deepest condolences go to the family and friends of the trainer. i would guess that she loved and trusted the whale and never expected him to pull her under.

    "Thinking of you, where ever you are..."
    Sig by me

  20. #20
    boopaloop! Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth's Avatar
    Gil
    70,180.02
    Gender
    Gifts Dr Who Tardis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-07-2010 03:17 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Threads
    27
    Posts
    3,503
    Rep Power
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS Wolley View Post
    I agree, they act like it should be a safe job to have. It's ridiculous. Also the notion of killing animals that harm humans is ludicrous. You don't stop using a scaffold because someone falls off it. Anyway, it's all just silly.
    I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS Wolley View Post
    Do you have an idea what you're even talking about?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS Wolley View Post
    "a positive emotional response"? That doesn't even apply.
    Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS Wolley View Post
    Also when you say that maybe there weren't any other stories to run, that's silly too, because people are dying DAILY I mean it's not like sometimes there just aren't any deaths, people are dropping like flies, you have to realize that. If they want a death related story, they can find one -.-;
    They're a business. They print what the majority of people want to read. They are concerned with profit as a bottom line. Catering to a minority audience is less profitable.

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS Wolley View Post
    and furthermore:


    ...Um... seriously?
    Do you even think before you type?

    I don't even think I need to point out how stupid that comment was, it speaks VOLUMES for itself.
    Your argument amounts to an appeal to ridicule and is therefore invalid. Please explain what volumes my comment speaks for itself.
    泥の川に浸かった人生も悪くはない
    一度きりで終わるなら



  21. #21
    Senior Member Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall's Avatar
    Gil
    21,272.60
    Gender
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-06-2012 04:02 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I live at my house. haha I know right hilarious?
    Threads
    61
    Posts
    2,331
    AW Wallpapers
    1
    Rep Power
    2442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    They're a business. They print what the majority of people want to read. They are concerned with profit as a bottom line. Catering to a minority audience is less profitable.
    The majority of those who watch news don't care what it's saying, they just want to know what's going on. Not to mention that a double homicide or some insane postal worker, are better crowd pleasers. Regardless they put too much emphasis on the fact that she was killed doing her job, and acting like it's the animals fault is silly. The whale was doing what whales do, she was the one RISKING her life for being in that profession to begin with. It's like everyone getting shocked that a stunt man dies.
    Your argument amounts to an appeal to ridicule and is therefore invalid. Please explain what volumes my comment speaks for itself.

    The fact that you linked Obama to this situation under the notion that the media had some underlying symbolism is idiotic, and racist for that matter. Referencing the "master and slave" dynamic, honestly? it's completely wrong. The fact that your statement was based on an outrageous and completely unfounded analysis of the situation is what makes you look stupid.



  22. #22
    boopaloop! Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth's Avatar
    Gil
    70,180.02
    Gender
    Gifts Dr Who Tardis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-07-2010 03:17 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Threads
    27
    Posts
    3,503
    Rep Power
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS Wolley View Post
    The majority of those who watch news don't care what it's saying, they just want to know what's going on. Not to mention that a double homicide or some insane postal worker, are better crowd pleasers.
    Those are your opinions. Maybe you can show statistics for their target demographic?

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS Wolley View Post
    The fact that you linked Obama to this situation under the notion that the media had some underlying symbolism is idiotic,
    Please explain why.

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS Wolley View Post
    and racist for that matter.
    Racism does not cease to exist just because a mulatto was elected president of the United States. Racism stems from tribalism. As humans are social animals, tribalism is inseparable from the human condition, as long as we are humans. Until blacks and whites belong to the same collective tribe, there will continue to be racial tension between the two groups. They are headed in the right direction, but racial equality is not a reality yet. I understand that this is not a "politically correct" topic. For that reason, it is important to maintain an impartial viewpoint.

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS Wolley View Post
    Referencing the "master and slave" dynamic, honestly? it's completely wrong.
    Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS Wolley View Post
    The fact that your statement was based on an outrageous and completely unfounded analysis of the situation
    How was it outrageous and unfounded?

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS Wolley View Post
    is what makes you look stupid.
    That is an ad hominem argument and therefore invalid. Attack my arguments, not my character.
    泥の川に浸かった人生も悪くはない
    一度きりで終わるなら



  23. #23
    Senior Member Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall's Avatar
    Gil
    21,272.60
    Gender
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-06-2012 04:02 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I live at my house. haha I know right hilarious?
    Threads
    61
    Posts
    2,331
    AW Wallpapers
    1
    Rep Power
    2442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    They're a business. They print what the majority of people want to read. They are concerned with profit as a bottom line. Catering to a minority audience is less profitable.
    Can you prove that this story is something that the majority of people want to read? if not, then fail.


    As for the rest, your statement was beyond idiotic and incredibly offensive. You should really put more thought into the things you say, the only reason I'm not furthering my argument against your comment is because it's a pointless battle. You clearly won't listen to reason, you're too busy trying to look intelligent to actually realize that you're coming off as an idiot.



  24. #24
    boopaloop! Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth has a reputation beyond repute Sephiroth's Avatar
    Gil
    70,180.02
    Gender
    Gifts Dr Who Tardis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-07-2010 03:17 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Threads
    27
    Posts
    3,503
    Rep Power
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS Wolley View Post
    Can you prove that this story is something that the majority of people want to read? if not, then fail.
    I already provided a logical proof. You just quoted it.

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS Wolley View Post
    As for the rest, your statement was beyond idiotic and incredibly offensive. You should really put more thought into the things you say, the only reason I'm not furthering my argument against your comment is because it's a pointless battle. You clearly won't listen to reason, you're too busy trying to look intelligent to actually realize that you're coming off as an idiot.
    This is a string of ad hominem remarks, a straw man, and the appeal to ridicule.
    泥の川に浸かった人生も悪くはない
    一度きりで終わるなら



  25. #25
    Sleepy Battler Ushiromiya has a reputation beyond repute Battler Ushiromiya has a reputation beyond repute Battler Ushiromiya has a reputation beyond repute Battler Ushiromiya has a reputation beyond repute Battler Ushiromiya has a reputation beyond repute Battler Ushiromiya has a reputation beyond repute Battler Ushiromiya has a reputation beyond repute Battler Ushiromiya has a reputation beyond repute Battler Ushiromiya has a reputation beyond repute Battler Ushiromiya has a reputation beyond repute Battler Ushiromiya has a reputation beyond repute Battler Ushiromiya's Avatar
    Gil
    7,120.00
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2010 08:27 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Threads
    26
    Posts
    356
    Rep Power
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.McDoom!: Released View Post
    Yeah, killer whales... they do that often. Probably didn't like the trainer, or being held in captivity for so long, or both.
    *FacePalm*
    Ya or you should prolly learn more about killer whales, or all animals fro that matter.
    Prolly did not like the trainer? REALLY?
    Animals do not "Dislike" in the way that you do, they do almost everything fo a reason. Now if you read more into it then you would have learned the whale got her by the hair and then the rest is history. If it wanted to kill her then the hair is not what it would have gone for. So disliked, and mad dont work here.
    Killer whales kills great white sharks with ease. Why? Because they are smart. The real experts on this have decided not to kill the killer whale and to continue to work with it.... Why you ask? Because they prolly understand it more than us and that the whale can kill, it most likely will not unless something is wrong. They are still researching that further but from what I hear this prolly happened from the womans ponytail dropped down touching the animal. IDK why but this happened right after that.

    Anyways....
    I doubt the killer whale got mad at the trainer that just rubbed it's belly when it asked. There was another more logical reason here. I am sure of that.

    @ Eris: Yes I understand why you dont like it being the center the media or whatever, and I agree it should not, BUT I think the reason for it being the center is this...
    1. Most people dont think of killer whales as...... well.... killers. A lot of people know we are not what they eat, and after free whilly i doubt people think badly of them.
    2. The job this death occured at is a place where you think it is "safe".
    3. This whle had a bad looking history, but as far as we know he never really killed anyone, we just found him with a bad situation from what I heard. ut the fact that the whale has been suspected of this before makes it all the better for reporting.
    4. A lot of people saw this happen so you have tons of interviews,
    5. I will think of this later.

    Dose that help eris?

    The seven stakes of purgatory! ^^ Good thing to know that they will be the last thing you see before you die. ^^

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts