AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: The autism/Aspergers thread

Member ladymisslilac will become famous soon enough ladymisslilac will become famous soon enough ladymisslilac's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-25-2010 11:22 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    That small island where we drink tea and eat scones and watch the BBC.
    Threads

Default The autism/Aspergers thread

Hey, I noticed that after saying I had AS on the "your story" thread some people replied saying they had it as well

It is fairly common, particularly in fandoms like this (I'm not saying all anime fans are aspies nor are all aspies anime fans), and after searching for autism threads on the forums and coming up fruitless, I decided to make one

So anyone proud to be autistic/got autism stories etc?
    I'm a weeaboo and I'm NOT proud of the fact.
    Japanese stuff is like crack. I can't help it

~PROUD ASPIE~

OMG SO KAWAII DESU

Simon Says...Die!!! Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-11-2011 12:32 PM
    Threads

can you crack codes like in Mercury Rising?

Member ladymisslilac will become famous soon enough ladymisslilac will become famous soon enough ladymisslilac's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-25-2010 11:22 AM
    That small island where we drink tea and eat scones and watch the BBC.
    Threads

Nope.
    I'm a weeaboo and I'm NOT proud of the fact.
    Japanese stuff is like crack. I can't help it

~PROUD ASPIE~

OMG SO KAWAII DESU

Simon Says...Die!!! Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

awww....what good are ya than?

j/k lol

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I want to use this oppurtunity to say I hate people on the internet saying they have diseases. Half of the time they are "self-diagnosed" and end up using it as an excuse for their actions.

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well, let's see. I wasn't even diagnosied with apsergers syndrome until I was 14 years old. But by the time that I had graduated HS, I had learned basically all the scoial skills that one usually has naturally. I used to have a lot of difficulty when I was younger keeping eye contact when having a conversation with someone, and would always dominate it with my completely trivial information about space, video games, etc.

Really, nowadays you can't even tell that I'm autistic because I've gotten so much better. Plus, because it's one of the very few metal disorders when one actually gains abilities, I can enjoy my extrodinarly good long term memory and well developed problem solving skills while appearing normal in the eyes of society.

I rarely ever tell people this though, because I'm just as capable now as anyone else and I feel it would be innapropriate to give the impression that I should be treated differently- mostly why you guys have never even know before.

I want to use this oppurtunity to say I hate people on the internet saying they have diseases.
    This is inncorrect. Autisim is classified as a "Disorder".
    Last edited by Skylar1; 02-23-2010 at 06:25 PM.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Your Father View Post
    I want to use this oppurtunity to say I hate people on the internet.

Fixed your post.

I don't have anything wrong with me that I know of. No extraordinary abilities, no deviant shortcomings. I guess I'm kind of weird though, in the way I think about things.
    Last edited by Cobra Commander; 02-23-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Member BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2010 11:59 AM
    Threads

I have Asperger's. I have social problems and I am obsess with rock music. I hate the fact I have it (regardless that my IQ is 124), I get treated very inadequately by ppl, and I really don't trust anyone. My mom is an aspie, but she is successful cause she is a school psychologist. I can be successful cause of my knowledge, but I also practice pessimism and nihilism and I believe there is no hope for me cause really no one understands me.

Random AFI Quote: Oh My God, My God this can't be happening, God tell me, tell me this isn't real -A Single Second

Random Aiden Quote: I won't teach her to lie or make a plan. That clairvoyant stare and grin.God won't forgive me for this I know. -We Sleep Forever

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladymisslilac View Post
    So anyone proud to be autistic
    This is just stupid. Having autism is not an accomplishment. Being proud of it (or ashamed of it for that matter) is like being proud of your phone number of street address. Be proud of what you've accomplished, not what's been randomly assigned to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    This is inncorrect. Autisim is classified as a "Disorder".
    Thank you, Captain Asperger.

Quote Originally Posted by BryGuy View Post
    I have Asperger's. I have social problems and I am obsess with rock music. I hate the fact I have it (regardless that my IQ is 124), I get treated very inadequately by ppl, and I really don't trust anyone. My mom is an aspie, but she is successful cause she is a school psychologist. I can be successful cause of my knowledge, but I also practice pessimism and nihilism and I believe there is no hope for me cause really no one understands me.
    Unless you wear a shirt that advertises "I have Asperger's. I have social problems and I am obsess with rock music." -- how do people know to treat you inadequately?

This thread is funny. You can legitimately reply to almost any given post with "Thank you, Captain Asperger"
    Last edited by Eris; 02-24-2010 at 04:15 AM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Member BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy has much to be proud of BryGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2010 11:59 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    This is just stupid. Having autism is not an accomplishment. Being proud of it (or ashamed of it for that matter) is like being proud of your phone number of street address. Be proud of what you've accomplished, not what's been randomly assigned to you.

Thank you, Captain Asperger.

Unless you wear a shirt that advertises "I have Asperger's. I have social problems and I am obsess with rock music." -- how do people know to treat you inadequately?

This thread is funny. You can legitimately reply to almost any given post with "Thank you, Captain Asperger"
    some other stuff, but I have low self esteem, but I am working on it by losing weight and thinking positively.

Random AFI Quote: Oh My God, My God this can't be happening, God tell me, tell me this isn't real -A Single Second

Random Aiden Quote: I won't teach her to lie or make a plan. That clairvoyant stare and grin.God won't forgive me for this I know. -We Sleep Forever

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Asperger's is the other term for this thing called Being Shy?

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Phoenix View Post
    Asperger's is the other term for this thing called Being Shy?
    Not really. Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory exhibits AS traits exaggerated for comedy (he kind of is to AS what Monk is to OCD). Chloe in 24 is more accurate portrayal of someone with AS.
    Last edited by Eris; 02-24-2010 at 08:34 AM.

boopaloop! 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2011 12:53 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    This. Also, why would you be proud of a developmental disorder? It makes as much sense as being proud for being dyslexic or stuttering or something.

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3pleT View Post
    This. Also, why would you be proud of a developmental disorder? It makes as much sense as being proud for being dyslexic or stuttering or something.
    Excately. Mine was a metal disorder and I treated as such, got better, end of story. If I could of had it my way I wouldn't have want any problems in the first place. I think of all the time that I had to waste to learn to do what should come naturally.

I am one of the lucky ones though, not many people make a full recovery like I did.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3pleT View Post
    AS isn't really a developmental disorder, though. While dyslexia or speech impediments are universally bad for the sufferer, AS is more of a double-edged sword. While it does impair social interaction, it also comes with uncanny learning abilities, a knack for abstract thinking, and so forth. It's quite likely that AS started as a freak mutation that turned out to be beneficial enough for humanity to select for a gene-pool where a certain percentage of individuals exhibit AS traits (as it gave us people like Newton and Einstein).

Autism on the other hand is not quite as useful. It's generally possible for AS sufferers to compensate for their lack of social graces with their other abilities to emulate social behavior to a point where it's reasonably sufficient, whereas this is not possible in autism or high-functional autism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    I am one of the lucky ones though, not many people make a full recovery like I did.
    Not that lucky. Wikipedia sez: There is some evidence that as many as 20% of children with AS "grow out" of it, and fail to meet the diagnostic criteria as adults.

I don't know if I personally have it. I have some of the traits, but most of them are positive and useful, and it's not impeding my ability to lead a fulfilling life, so it really doesn't constitute a mental disorder according to any definition I've ever heard of.
    Last edited by Eris; 02-24-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information