AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Recommendation Request

Junior Member javierjavier is on a distinguished road javierjavier's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-15-2010 11:00 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Recommendation Request

Hi! I'm really new to the world of anime. I've only watched two series in full, "Cowboy Bebop" and "Gunsword", though both of those have quickly became two of my favorite shows of all time. Here's a few things I like and a few things I don't care for

Enigmatic Male Lead Character
    Drama though Generally Lighthearted
    Realistic Animation style (Cowboy Bebop looks beautiful and has realism, as opposed to like... dragonball z, which looks very cartoony)
    Episodic is okay, but character development, and central story is crucial

Things I don't care for:
    Mecha (I don't hate it, but I don't want it to be the focus)
    Magic
    Sex (It can be part of a show, but again, I don't like it as the main focus)

So if anyone has any recommendations, that would be great! After watching these two shows, I could really see myself getting into anime. In the meantime I'm going to watch FLCL because I've heard a lot about it. If anyone has any questions that would help them make recommendations, I'll be very responsive! Thank you all!

P.S. I LOVE steampunk, so if there are any good steampunk animes, throw those out there too!

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by javierjavier View Post

Things I don't care for:
    Mecha (I don't hate it, but I don't want it to be the focus)
    Space opera is almost synonymous with mecha. The two go hand-in-hand more often than not.

As far as space operas go, I'd recommend Captain Harlock (or Herlock).

If you liked Cowboy Bebop, you're almost guaranteed to like Outlaw Star.

Also, a shout out for the original Mobile Suit Gundam series (0079).

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Junior Member javierjavier is on a distinguished road javierjavier's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-15-2010 11:00 PM
    Threads

I mean, mecha is okay, but I liked how in gunsword, the mecha wasn't the central focus. I've seen episodes of other mecha shows before where whole episodes are just giant mecha fights, and I'd like to avoid that for the most part, I'm more interested in characters

Senior Member StabWound has a reputation beyond repute StabWound has a reputation beyond repute StabWound has a reputation beyond repute StabWound has a reputation beyond repute StabWound has a reputation beyond repute StabWound has a reputation beyond repute StabWound has a reputation beyond repute StabWound has a reputation beyond repute StabWound has a reputation beyond repute StabWound has a reputation beyond repute StabWound has a reputation beyond repute StabWound's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2010 12:42 PM
    Threads

It sounds like you might enjoy Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's a space opera on a massive scale with a huge cast of fully fleshed out, unforgettable characters and an intricate well thought out plot that is beyond epic.
    I would recommend watching the prequel movie "My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars" before jumping into the main series though. That way you get a small taste of what you're in for and can decide whether it's for you or not.

I'll also second Harlock, and really any of Leiji Matsumoto's works. Galaxy Express 999 being my personal favorite.

Cardinal of Eden Vital Rolo Vi Britannia has a reputation beyond repute Rolo Vi Britannia has a reputation beyond repute Rolo Vi Britannia has a reputation beyond repute Rolo Vi Britannia has a reputation beyond repute Rolo Vi Britannia has a reputation beyond repute Rolo Vi Britannia has a reputation beyond repute Rolo Vi Britannia has a reputation beyond repute Rolo Vi Britannia has a reputation beyond repute Rolo Vi Britannia has a reputation beyond repute Rolo Vi Britannia has a reputation beyond repute Rolo Vi Britannia has a reputation beyond repute Rolo Vi Britannia's Avatar
    Gil
    Depressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-13-2011 05:18 PM
    Threads

Hm... The only space show I've seen besides Cowboy Bebop is Mobile Suit Gundam 00. But, the first season is sort of boring. If you watch that, I suggest you start on episode 9.

However, if you can survive season 1(Which I enjoyed, but I'm a big mecha fan after Code Geass.) the second season has alot of character moments. Although I enjoyed the whole series, until I watched season 2, then season 1 seemed boring.
    But I doubt that's what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Rolo Vi Britannia; 02-16-2010 at 02:20 PM.

I have recently transformed into a defender of the mentally ill. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Junior Member Isaac. is a splendid one to behold Isaac. is a splendid one to behold Isaac. is a splendid one to behold Isaac. is a splendid one to behold Isaac. is a splendid one to behold Isaac. is a splendid one to behold Isaac.'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2010 01:52 PM
    Threads

I would recommend Trigun. It's a space western with lots of action, comedy, drama (lighthearted, as you want) and all that good stuff. The central story isn't as focused on is as the development of characters and philosophies, but if you enjoyed Cowboy Bebop then I'm sure you'll love Trigun!

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Gjallarhorn View Post

If you liked Cowboy Bebop, you're almost guaranteed to like Outlaw Star.
    ^Seconded! Outlaw Star really rocks my socks. XD It's truly a fun series and a little more light-hearted (iya, a LOT more) than Bebop but has a perfect blend of comedy and drama. It's not drawn as realistically but the style's pretty unique in itself. The characters are all super-likable, especially the main man Gene Starwind himself!

I've been rewatching it and almost forgot just how great this show is. Ahh 90s anime...<3
    Last edited by 小美ドクロchan; 02-16-2010 at 11:08 PM.

The Savage. -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Hungover
    Gifts Present Beer
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-25-2012 04:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

i reccomend Heroic Age

i am not a si-fi/mecha fanm , personally i hate them but i was actually able to watch this one more than once it was so good.

boopaloop! TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2012 08:46 PM
    Threads

Definitely going to second the motion on Trigun, great show, similar to Bebop.

"dude your user name is B.A! props! sounds like a stoner metal band *loves stoner metal*...i might steal it >.>"

-RaShayRitto

Senior Member Käras has a reputation beyond repute Käras has a reputation beyond repute Käras has a reputation beyond repute Käras has a reputation beyond repute Käras has a reputation beyond repute Käras has a reputation beyond repute Käras has a reputation beyond repute Käras has a reputation beyond repute Käras has a reputation beyond repute Käras has a reputation beyond repute Käras has a reputation beyond repute Käras's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-12-2010 11:12 AM
    Threads

Well from what you said, my best recommendation would be Mobile Suit Gundam the 08th MS team. It has almost exactly what you asked for.

Closed Thread

Thread Information