AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Do you think The (Goddamn) Batman is too much?

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Do you think The (Goddamn) Batman is too much?

We're talking about the fictional one, of course. -Redfield- previously posted a few explanations to why he is so "goddamn" and "parentsaredead&such". Similar reasons for which I had my personal repulses towards the character.
    I recall watching the WB Batman cartoon series ten years ago. At first it was cool, but slowly, the Batman started to disgust me; always whining about his whacked parents, merciless with even the smallest time bandit, always sending them all to jail, or killing them, never letting anyone have revenge but him and even his reasons for wearing a queer bat suit were inconclusive, and so on...
    Here's a few examples out of a few episodes:
    • Gordon gets shot because he had it coming, Batman goes on cold turkey because he had no way of ever being there. Dick (Not in the Robin costume) offers him some man love, but Batman (wearing the same stinking costume for days/weeks) smacks his head on the wall screamig "No! Gordon was the same age my father would've been if he were alive!"
    • Clayface was dying, he had already stolen a chemical agent that could save him AND restore him to his human self without hurting anyone. But the Batman just won't let him finish the formula and dumps him in the ocean, where he dissolves and dies for good in front of his crying fiancee.
    • Penguin gets let off from hard time, in the meanwhile he has a change of heart and wants to fight crime too, but the Batman is always watching him, attacking him whenever he tries something. Eventually Bats drives Penguin insane and he gets back to being a criminal. Having fatiguingly re-converted a man into a criminal, Batman get off on an "I told you he was a criminal after all" indulgence.
    And the facts could still go on, but what do you think?
    Last edited by DOOM!; 02-09-2010 at 11:50 AM.

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't remember those episodes, but those are very valid points.

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

Clayface never died permanently. In fact, Batman doesn't kill. Blah blah comics code, blah blah silver age, etc. Original Batman killed no more than most other people in comics did, and that was before villains like Clayface or Penguin. After censorship took over and the circus came to town, he stopped. As for not letting criminals go and instead putting them in prison, that's just silly. If you're robbing a bank, you are robbing a bank. If you're mugging someone, you are mugging someone. You are committing a crime, and yeah Batman is probably the worst guy to get caught by but at least it isn't The Punisher. You'll live to SEE prison.

There are plenty of reasons to think Bruce Wayne Batman is a bad character, but the ones you offer aren't really reasons as they're inaccurate.
    Visit the Toy Dungeon Studios Store and buy a shirt or zipper pull, damnit!

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

They're inaccurate because I made a long story short out of them, but I'm not comparing him to The Punisher because he is thought as a Lawful-Newtral/Chaotic-Good, or goody-goody two shoes and a good example, since he thinks himself a symbol, but with the irrational morals I just pointed out of a censored kid's TV show... How are the kid viewers supposed to see his means and ends as fair, when he's imbalanced, spiteful, vengeful, probably loony (the costume thing again) and above all, claims to be Righteous?

PS: I would also like to call in the fact that besides the costume he also always masked his voice, speaking grumblingly, almost in an ominous manner. Or at least only in that series, he did.

Just so I don't post again
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandaid X View Post
    I think putting so much "dislike/hate" towards a fictional "comic book" character is a pretty negative activity. o.o
    I'm talking about why he would produce this dislike/hate, and actually discussing the character in question, also, from a comicbook to a franchise to a reality, what impact would it have. Geez, what planet do you come from?
    Last edited by DOOM!; 02-09-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Senior Member Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-26-2010 01:18 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.McDoom!: Relapse View Post
    And the facts could still go on, but what do you think?
    I think putting so much "dislike/hate" towards a fictional "comic book" character is a pretty negative activity. o.o
    Ell Oohh Elll /sarcasm

Be who you are and say what you feel,
    because those who mind don't matter
    and those who matter don't mind. -Dr. Seuss

Nobody has ever won a forum fight. You're not gonna get to page 20 and then they/you say:
    "Oh my bad! You were totally right! Sorry about that misunderstanding!"

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.McDoom!: Relapse View Post
    They're inaccurate because I made a long story short out of them, but I'm not comparing him to The Punisher because he is thought as a Lawful-Newtral/Chaotic-Good, or goody-goody two shoes and a good example, since he thinks himself a symbol, but with the irrational morals I just pointed out of a censored kid's TV show... How are the kid viewers supposed to see his means and ends as fair, when he's imbalanced, spiteful, vengeful, probably loony (the costume thing again) and above all, claims to be Righteous?

PS: I would also like to call in the fact that besides the costume he also always masked his voice, speaking grumblingly, almost in an ominous manner. Or at least only in that series, he did.
    Well no they're still inaccurate. Batman doesn't kill in the comics either, or the movies, or pretty much any other medium outside of a few Elseworlds series which by their very definition is not the generally recognized portrayal of the character.

He thinks himself a symbol alright, a symbol of fear. You want a role model to show you what to do, you look to Superman. You want to show people what'll happen if you break the law, you look to Batman. I don't know WHY people seem to think he's a character whose morals are meant to be emulated, because this isn't the case except in the vaguest of senses.

Again, he doesn't kill, he apprehends. His rationale is that him doing it is okay because he's had years of training and at this point his desire for vengeance has cooled into a set pattern of behavior. It's hypocritical and generally stupid, so naturally people think this makes him a deep and complex character and not a shallow mental patient that just happens to be pointed in generally the right direction.

Gil
    Drunk
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I could pretty damn bet that somewhere in those series, an innocent or villain conveniently dies, under accidental circumstances, of course in which Bats had a little involvement. Not to mention Batgirl dies, Mr. Freeze dies, Joker dies, but they somehow appear to be resurrected, but in another show/series/volume, which isn't basically the same world, since in a certain comic strip, Batman is mistaken for Hellspawn by the authors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke32
    His rationale is that him doing it is okay because he's had years of training and at this point his desire for vengeance has cooled into a set pattern of behavior. It's hypocritical and generally stupid, so naturally people think this makes him a deep and complex character and not a shallow mental patient that just happens to be pointed in generally the right direction.
    So you're saying that whenever these inclarities arise, don't question it, just LOL?

Edit: Oh, here's a little food for thought (skip past 5 minutes):
    +
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

"... just a little boy who'd cry for mommy and daddy. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic... Oh what the heck, I'll laugh anyway! Aaahahahaha!"
    It's not the series I'm talking about, but it's LOLjuice anyway.
    Last edited by DOOM!; 02-09-2010 at 02:12 PM.

Senior Member Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pokedex 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2012 01:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well I am not much of an Batman fan regardless of which series. And dang, that dose sound bad.
    I guess I can't truly fairly say an opinion if I never watched it.
    Gero Server Guru

Simon Says...Die!!! Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-11-2011 12:32 PM
    Threads

i like batman because out of the other superhero's he's atleast possible.

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Posting from phone, can't watch video but I'll say this much: I am in no way saying Batman's a good character. I personally think he's horribly overrated.
    I just think your initial post was inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo Duck View Post
    i like batman because out of the other superhero's he's atleast possible.
    Because a guy in his mid-thirties totally can be a martial arts master rivalling any other living being, have the mental acuity to rival superhuman geniuses and be the exorbitantly wealthy heir to a large corporation and not get found out at all? No, he's more of a silly power fantasy than Superman or Wonder Woman, simply because their origins are so fantastic as to be fictionally acceptable.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Today's XKCD is relevant.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Closed Thread

Thread Information