AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Do you think The (Goddamn) Batman is too much?

  1. #1
    Senior Member DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    1,152.17
    Gender
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Gifts Trollface Beer Cookie
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2014 07:46 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    35°41'38.05" N 51°24'41.45" E
    Age
    29
    Threads
    135
    Posts
    4,091
    Rep Power
    799

    Default Do you think The (Goddamn) Batman is too much?

    We're talking about the fictional one, of course. -Redfield- previously posted a few explanations to why he is so "goddamn" and "parentsaredead&such". Similar reasons for which I had my personal repulses towards the character.
    I recall watching the WB Batman cartoon series ten years ago. At first it was cool, but slowly, the Batman started to disgust me; always whining about his whacked parents, merciless with even the smallest time bandit, always sending them all to jail, or killing them, never letting anyone have revenge but him and even his reasons for wearing a queer bat suit were inconclusive, and so on...
    Here's a few examples out of a few episodes:
    • Gordon gets shot because he had it coming, Batman goes on cold turkey because he had no way of ever being there. Dick (Not in the Robin costume) offers him some man love, but Batman (wearing the same stinking costume for days/weeks) smacks his head on the wall screamig "No! Gordon was the same age my father would've been if he were alive!"
    • Clayface was dying, he had already stolen a chemical agent that could save him AND restore him to his human self without hurting anyone. But the Batman just won't let him finish the formula and dumps him in the ocean, where he dissolves and dies for good in front of his crying fiancee.
    • Penguin gets let off from hard time, in the meanwhile he has a change of heart and wants to fight crime too, but the Batman is always watching him, attacking him whenever he tries something. Eventually Bats drives Penguin insane and he gets back to being a criminal. Having fatiguingly re-converted a man into a criminal, Batman get off on an "I told you he was a criminal after all" indulgence.
    And the facts could still go on, but what do you think?
    Last edited by DOOM!; 02-09-2010 at 11:50 AM.


  2. #2
    Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    15,964.12
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Age
    29
    Threads
    40
    Posts
    1,864
    Blog Entries
    51
    Rep Power
    2244

    Default

    I don't remember those episodes, but those are very valid points.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    351.78
    Gender
    My Mood
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Age
    28
    Threads
    27
    Posts
    3,343
    Blog Entries
    112
    Rep Power
    5659
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

    Default

    Clayface never died permanently. In fact, Batman doesn't kill. Blah blah comics code, blah blah silver age, etc. Original Batman killed no more than most other people in comics did, and that was before villains like Clayface or Penguin. After censorship took over and the circus came to town, he stopped. As for not letting criminals go and instead putting them in prison, that's just silly. If you're robbing a bank, you are robbing a bank. If you're mugging someone, you are mugging someone. You are committing a crime, and yeah Batman is probably the worst guy to get caught by but at least it isn't The Punisher. You'll live to SEE prison.

    There are plenty of reasons to think Bruce Wayne Batman is a bad character, but the ones you offer aren't really reasons as they're inaccurate.
    Visit the Toy Dungeon Studios Store and buy a shirt or zipper pull, damnit!

  4. #4
    Senior Member DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    1,152.17
    Gender
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Gifts Trollface Beer Cookie
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2014 07:46 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    35°41'38.05" N 51°24'41.45" E
    Age
    29
    Threads
    135
    Posts
    4,091
    Rep Power
    799

    Default

    They're inaccurate because I made a long story short out of them, but I'm not comparing him to The Punisher because he is thought as a Lawful-Newtral/Chaotic-Good, or goody-goody two shoes and a good example, since he thinks himself a symbol, but with the irrational morals I just pointed out of a censored kid's TV show... How are the kid viewers supposed to see his means and ends as fair, when he's imbalanced, spiteful, vengeful, probably loony (the costume thing again) and above all, claims to be Righteous?

    PS: I would also like to call in the fact that besides the costume he also always masked his voice, speaking grumblingly, almost in an ominous manner. Or at least only in that series, he did.

    Just so I don't post again
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandaid X View Post
    I think putting so much "dislike/hate" towards a fictional "comic book" character is a pretty negative activity. o.o
    I'm talking about why he would produce this dislike/hate, and actually discussing the character in question, also, from a comicbook to a franchise to a reality, what impact would it have. Geez, what planet do you come from?
    Last edited by DOOM!; 02-09-2010 at 01:22 PM.


  5. #5
    Senior Member Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X has a reputation beyond repute Bandaid X's Avatar
    Gil
    2,460.00
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-26-2010 01:18 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    27
    Threads
    4
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.McDoom!: Relapse View Post
    And the facts could still go on, but what do you think?
    I think putting so much "dislike/hate" towards a fictional "comic book" character is a pretty negative activity. o.o
    Ell Oohh Elll /sarcasm

    Be who you are and say what you feel,
    because those who mind don't matter
    and those who matter don't mind. -Dr. Seuss

    Nobody has ever won a forum fight. You're not gonna get to page 20 and then they/you say:
    "Oh my bad! You were totally right! Sorry about that misunderstanding!"

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    351.78
    Gender
    My Mood
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Age
    28
    Threads
    27
    Posts
    3,343
    Blog Entries
    112
    Rep Power
    5659
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.McDoom!: Relapse View Post
    They're inaccurate because I made a long story short out of them, but I'm not comparing him to The Punisher because he is thought as a Lawful-Newtral/Chaotic-Good, or goody-goody two shoes and a good example, since he thinks himself a symbol, but with the irrational morals I just pointed out of a censored kid's TV show... How are the kid viewers supposed to see his means and ends as fair, when he's imbalanced, spiteful, vengeful, probably loony (the costume thing again) and above all, claims to be Righteous?

    PS: I would also like to call in the fact that besides the costume he also always masked his voice, speaking grumblingly, almost in an ominous manner. Or at least only in that series, he did.
    Well no they're still inaccurate. Batman doesn't kill in the comics either, or the movies, or pretty much any other medium outside of a few Elseworlds series which by their very definition is not the generally recognized portrayal of the character.

    He thinks himself a symbol alright, a symbol of fear. You want a role model to show you what to do, you look to Superman. You want to show people what'll happen if you break the law, you look to Batman. I don't know WHY people seem to think he's a character whose morals are meant to be emulated, because this isn't the case except in the vaguest of senses.

    Again, he doesn't kill, he apprehends. His rationale is that him doing it is okay because he's had years of training and at this point his desire for vengeance has cooled into a set pattern of behavior. It's hypocritical and generally stupid, so naturally people think this makes him a deep and complex character and not a shallow mental patient that just happens to be pointed in generally the right direction.
    Visit the Toy Dungeon Studios Store and buy a shirt or zipper pull, damnit!

  7. #7
    Senior Member DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    1,152.17
    Gender
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Gifts Trollface Beer Cookie
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2014 07:46 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    35°41'38.05" N 51°24'41.45" E
    Age
    29
    Threads
    135
    Posts
    4,091
    Rep Power
    799

    Default

    I could pretty damn bet that somewhere in those series, an innocent or villain conveniently dies, under accidental circumstances, of course in which Bats had a little involvement. Not to mention Batgirl dies, Mr. Freeze dies, Joker dies, but they somehow appear to be resurrected, but in another show/series/volume, which isn't basically the same world, since in a certain comic strip, Batman is mistaken for Hellspawn by the authors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke32
    His rationale is that him doing it is okay because he's had years of training and at this point his desire for vengeance has cooled into a set pattern of behavior. It's hypocritical and generally stupid, so naturally people think this makes him a deep and complex character and not a shallow mental patient that just happens to be pointed in generally the right direction.
    So you're saying that whenever these inclarities arise, don't question it, just LOL?

    Edit: Oh, here's a little food for thought (skip past 5 minutes):
    +
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

    "... just a little boy who'd cry for mommy and daddy. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic... Oh what the heck, I'll laugh anyway! Aaahahahaha!"
    It's not the series I'm talking about, but it's LOLjuice anyway.
    Last edited by DOOM!; 02-09-2010 at 02:12 PM.


  8. #8
    Senior Member Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50's Avatar
    Gil
    2,997.71
    Gender
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Gifts Pokedex 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2012 01:07 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Umited States
    Age
    24
    Threads
    74
    Posts
    2,781
    Blog Entries
    17
    Rep Power
    1259

    Default

    Well I am not much of an Batman fan regardless of which series. And dang, that dose sound bad.
    I guess I can't truly fairly say an opinion if I never watched it.
    Gero Server Guru




  9. #9
    Simon Says...Die!!! Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute Simon Phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    17,106.81
    Gender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-11-2011 12:32 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Angeles
    Age
    29
    Threads
    56
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    478

    Default

    i like batman because out of the other superhero's he's atleast possible.


  10. #10
    Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    351.78
    Gender
    My Mood
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Age
    28
    Threads
    27
    Posts
    3,343
    Blog Entries
    112
    Rep Power
    5659
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

    Default

    Posting from phone, can't watch video but I'll say this much: I am in no way saying Batman's a good character. I personally think he's horribly overrated.
    I just think your initial post was inaccurate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo Duck View Post
    i like batman because out of the other superhero's he's atleast possible.
    Because a guy in his mid-thirties totally can be a martial arts master rivalling any other living being, have the mental acuity to rival superhuman geniuses and be the exorbitantly wealthy heir to a large corporation and not get found out at all? No, he's more of a silly power fantasy than Superman or Wonder Woman, simply because their origins are so fantastic as to be fictionally acceptable.
    Visit the Toy Dungeon Studios Store and buy a shirt or zipper pull, damnit!

  11. #11
    Brobocop Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    100,097.29
    Gender
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2014 09:19 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Tau Ceti V
    Age
    27
    Threads
    616
    Posts
    19,589
    Blog Entries
    619
    Rep Power
    14531

    Default



    Today's XKCD is relevant.
    D:

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Batman: Arkham Asylum demo is out
    By RaShayRitto in forum Video Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 02:21 PM
  2. Batman: Arkham Asylum
    By Ryuuzaki HD in forum Video Games
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2009, 02:32 PM
  3. Nuh Nuh Nuh Nuh BATMAN!!!
    By Baka in forum Miscellaneous Miscellany
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 09:11 PM
  4. [SGI News] Christopher Nolan Being Sued by Batman
    By SGI in forum Miscellaneous Miscellany
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 01:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts