AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Sweet/tender anime, ala Haibane, Natsume, Fruits Basket, etc.

Junior Member Dulcet is on a distinguished road Dulcet's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2009 11:29 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Sweet/tender anime, ala Haibane, Natsume, Fruits Basket, etc.

Any other must-see suggestions would be taken kindly. My specific interest is learning about this style of anime for the purpose of emulating it in tabletop roleplay. For instance, what assumptions, structure, tropes, etc. really make this style work? Is this a recognized genre or does it have a go-by name among fans, and what other keywords might be useful for this research?

I like that it is a style which, very much like horror, appeals directly to emotion. But where "how to write/play horror" suggestions can be found for a penny a dozen, "how to write/play sweetly" is not. There's stuff on romance, of course, but that rather misses the mark.

Anyhow, I'd love to hear anything you have to say about anime in this style or any one of them in particular.

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Full Moon Wo Sagashite is a MUST-SEE if you like this type of anime. It's a little heavier with tragedy though, to warn you....

Senior Member chii-chan91 has a reputation beyond repute chii-chan91 has a reputation beyond repute chii-chan91 has a reputation beyond repute chii-chan91 has a reputation beyond repute chii-chan91 has a reputation beyond repute chii-chan91 has a reputation beyond repute chii-chan91 has a reputation beyond repute chii-chan91 has a reputation beyond repute chii-chan91 has a reputation beyond repute chii-chan91 has a reputation beyond repute chii-chan91 has a reputation beyond repute chii-chan91's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Pink Ribbon Cancer Tsubasa Mokona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-12-2011 05:33 AM
    Threads

(now i think i understand the question- hopefully) i would say that it is shojo that youre looking into as the demographic, although there are too many sub genres to make a general assumption on the name fans would give it- depends entirely on the series, so shojo as a keyword should give you enough results ^^

Structurally speaking, the series i know of generally include a main male protagonist with unresolved issues, (leading to insulting the girl generally) and then how the main female protagonist gradually helps them overcome these issues by realising they have something else in their life now that can "save" them (like Fruits Basket) to which it is usually that moment of realisation/confession that makes the genre as sensitive/emotional as it is.

The latest one ive finished was Full Moon o Sagashite, which i would say follows that structure- a good example of shojo i would say, as some of the themes are flipped slightly yet still have an emotional conclusion (PM me if you want a synopsis or anything ^^)

I would say the style is usually effective when the clichés in shojo (romance usually) are taken and twisted slightly- the outcomes are predictable yet its the journey thats taken to get to that conclusion that makes the finale (so setting, character background and circumstances are important here)

My apologies also to any other shojo fans out there that disagree- however, im sure youll apreciate its a difficult demographic to summarise and then pick out the emotional points without going on and on ^^;

Hope ive been helpful

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora.

[/thread]

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Junior Member Dulcet is on a distinguished road Dulcet's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2009 11:29 PM
    Threads

Thank you all for the anime suggestions, and for your much considered reply, Chii-chan91.

Closed Thread

Thread Information