AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Please take part in my college study!

Junior Member kgould is a name known to all kgould is a name known to all kgould is a name known to all kgould is a name known to all kgould is a name known to all kgould is a name known to all kgould's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-21-2009 10:23 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Thumbs up Please take part in my college study!

I need your help.

My name is Kate Gould, a junior English major, Biology minor, at Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania.

I'm in an Asian-American film class called "The Politics of Pleasure," concerning the dichotomies of race and sexuality, and I'm doing some research towards a final paper.

I had originally been interested in double eyelid surgery as well as eye glue and eye tape, and what it meant to be Asian and to be desiring a larger, rounder eye. This was all very well and good, but during my research I stumbled across a series of videos and web rants from non-Asian teenagers who want to be Asian. This more or less contradicted my entire argument concerning plastic surgery and race, and everything that academics have been writing about on Asian-American culture and sexuality, so I was intrigued. I decided to write my paper on it.

The problem is, other than a few videos and a wikiHow or two, there is almost no information, scholarly or otherwise, concerning this growing web culture.

So I am asking you for help.

If you are a non-Asian teen or young adult who wants to be or look Asian, or a non-Asian teen who identifies heavily with Asian culture, I would like you to answer the following set of questions in either a text or video response. I will be using this information to compile a set of information on the mindset behind this web culture, to explore it on neutral, academic ground, and to provide some new information for scholars in this area.

You can use a pseudonym, a set of initials, or a username to identify yourself, but for the sake of using your answers in my paper, I'll need something to call you.

The more people I get for my research, the more comprehensive my study will be, so please submit your answers and please encourage your friends to answer as well.

I can be contacted here, on YouTube, or at [email protected]

Questions:
    1) What is your name? (Name, initials, username, cats name, whatever)
    2) How old are you?
    3) Where are you from? You don't have to be specific, just general region will be fine.
    4) What does your community's demographic look like? If you attend school, what does your school's demographic look like?
    5) How did you first encounter Asian culture?
    6) Do you watch anime?
    7) Do you consider yourself an otaku?
    8) Do you use makeup or clothing to make yourself look Asian?
    9) Do you speak an Asian language, maybe a few words or do you speak it fluently? Did you teach it to yourself, or did you learn it in a class?
    10) How much education have you completed so far? Middle school, high school, or college?
    11) Why do you want to be Asian? What makes the culture so interesting for you?
    12) Have you ever been to East Asia, namely, Japan, Korea, or China?
    13) What are your friends' and families' reactions to your desire to be Asian?
    14) If you haven't told them, why not?
    15) Do you know any other people, IRL or online, who want to be Asian?
    16) Have you, or has anyone you know, had surgery to make yourself look Asian? (Rhinoplasty, nylon wire implant, so on)
    17) Do you have a specific term to call yourself? (anime fan is present web culture, but considered derogatory.)
    18) How often do you use the internet?
    19) What kinds of websites do you visit?
    20) What did you think of the interview?
    21) And, finally, is there anything else you want to say?
    Last edited by kgould; 11-21-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: better title
    Do you like Asian culture? Do you want to travel to East Asia? Do you want to look Asian?
    Please take part in my college study here, answering the questions in a text or video response.
    Thank you!

Darkness In The Light ZiggyBoy91 has a reputation beyond repute ZiggyBoy91 has a reputation beyond repute ZiggyBoy91 has a reputation beyond repute ZiggyBoy91 has a reputation beyond repute ZiggyBoy91 has a reputation beyond repute ZiggyBoy91 has a reputation beyond repute ZiggyBoy91 has a reputation beyond repute ZiggyBoy91 has a reputation beyond repute ZiggyBoy91 has a reputation beyond repute ZiggyBoy91 has a reputation beyond repute ZiggyBoy91 has a reputation beyond repute ZiggyBoy91's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-25-2009 10:49 PM
    Threads

1) What is your name? Ziggy
    2) 18
    3) Oregon
    4) Very Mixed
    5) Asian Cultural Festival
    6) Yes
    7) Yes
    8) No
    9) I am learning Japanese in collage
    10) Highschool
    11) I like the lack of up-tightness about sexuality and the more open expression.
    12) Japan
    13) I don't wish to
    14) Nothing to tell them
    15) I don't wish to
    16) No
    17) No
    18) Daily
    19) Anime Forums, youtube, manga sites, anime streaming sites, blog tc=v
    20) It was rather thorough.
    21) Nope

Sig by .Elmer

Open the door! Lead me into everlasting darkness!

Click Them PLZ
    l
    V

Junior Member kgould is a name known to all kgould is a name known to all kgould is a name known to all kgould is a name known to all kgould is a name known to all kgould is a name known to all kgould's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyBoy91 View Post
    1) What is your name? Ziggy
    2) 18
    3) Oregon
    4) Very Mixed
    5) Asian Cultural Festival
    6) Yes
    7) Yes
    8) No
    9) I am learning Japanese in collage
    10) Highschool
    11) I like the lack of up-tightness about sexuality and the more open expression.
    12) Japan
    13) I don't wish to
    14) Nothing to tell them
    15) I don't wish to
    16) No
    17) No
    18) Daily
    19) Anime Forums, youtube, manga sites, anime streaming sites, blog tc=v
    20) It was rather thorough.
    21) Nope
    Thank you for responding!
    Do you like Asian culture? Do you want to travel to East Asia? Do you want to look Asian?
    Please take part in my college study here, answering the questions in a text or video response.
    Thank you!

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kgould View Post
    I had originally been interested in double eyelid surgery as well as eye glue and eye tape, and what it meant to be Asian and to be desiring a larger, rounder eye. This was all very well and good, but during my research I stumbled across a series of videos and web rants from non-Asian teenagers who want to be Asian. This more or less contradicted my entire argument concerning plastic surgery and race, and everything that academics have been writing about on Asian-American culture and sexuality, so I was intrigued. I decided to write my paper on it.
    I'm not sure there is a contradiction in Asians wanting to look Caucasian and Caucasians wanting to look Asian, as they are two separate subpopulations, with different cultures and so forth. The notion that one can make valid blanket statements across separate subpopulations like is quite proposterous.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    I'm not sure there is a contradiction in Asians wanting to look Caucasian and Caucasians wanting to look Asian, as they are two separate subpopulations, with different cultures and so forth. The notion that one can make valid blanket statements across separate subpopulations like is quite proposterous.
    I refer to the contradiction that, according to Kaw and Morgan's sociological theories, Asians desire to alter their appearance in order to fit into mainstream white society. If, in fact, a large portion of that white society (or non-Asian society) is trying to look Asian, this would throw their theories into disarray. If Caucasian ideologies of race and beauty do not dominant culture, then we have to look to the reasons why different ideologies are internalized by these individuals.
    And, as many academics postulate the dichotomy of Caucasian vs. Other, with Caucasian as dominant, it would be particularly interesting to pursue this theory.

I'm sorry if I didn't explain myself well initially.
    Last edited by kgould; 11-21-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    Thank you!

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I refer to the contradiction that, according to Kaw and Morgan's sociological theories, Asians desire to alter their appearance in order to fit into mainstream white society. If, in fact, a large portion of that white society (or non-Asian society) is trying to look Asian, this would throw their theories into disarray. If Caucasian ideologies of race and beauty do not dominant culture, then we have to look to the reasons why different ideologies are internalized by these individuals.
    And, as many academics postulate the dichotomy of Caucasian vs. Other, with Caucasian as dominant, it would be particularly interesting to pursue this theory.

I'm sorry if I didn't explain myself well initially.
    Interesting. Though I think what's happening is that when a group of people import culture from abroad, the ideals of this imported culture becomes dominant in their eyes. When you see another culture through the movies they make, and the music they play, and the books they write, you get a very strange idealized view of how things are like, as the less flattering aspects of the culture is often omitted. So it's very easy to get the idea that this culture is superior to your own, as it doesn't appear to have very many downsides.

You may want to look into what happened in western Europe in the post-war years (mostly the '50s and '60s), when America exported a lot of Hollywood films and music to Europe. Here in Sweden, people started imitating these films, with people naming their children "Billy", "Jimmy", and other (perceived) American names; an idealized version of the greaser subculture still to this date prospers over here with people still listening to the same old '50s music, and to some extent, the subculture has survived the transition to a new generation.
    Last edited by Eris; 11-21-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Interesting. Though I think what's happening is that when a group of people import culture from abroad, the ideals of this imported culture becomes dominant in their eyes. When you see another culture through the movies they make, and the music they play, and the books they write, you get a very strange idealized view of how things are like, as the less flattering aspects of the culture is often omitted. So it's very easy to get the idea that this culture is superior to your own, as it doesn't appear to have very many downsides.

You may want to look into what happened in western Europe in the post-war years (mostly the '50s and '60s), when America exported a lot of Hollywood films and music to Europe. Here in Sweden, people started imitating these films, with people naming their children "Billy", "Jimmy", and other (perceived) American names; an idealized version of the greaser subculture still to this date prospers over here with people still listening to the same old '50s music, and to some extent, the subculture has survived the transition to a new generation.
    Oh! That's spot on! Thank you for the advice. That will be perfect for my study!
    Thank you!

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Oh! That's spot on! Thank you for the advice. That will be perfect for my study!
    It's a bit hard to find sources on the American culture export into Sweden, but here's a link that mentions the greaser culture: http://www.sawfnews.com/lifestyle/39925.aspx

AF's Classic Rock Kid zariachi has a reputation beyond repute zariachi has a reputation beyond repute zariachi has a reputation beyond repute zariachi has a reputation beyond repute zariachi has a reputation beyond repute zariachi has a reputation beyond repute zariachi has a reputation beyond repute zariachi has a reputation beyond repute zariachi has a reputation beyond repute zariachi has a reputation beyond repute zariachi has a reputation beyond repute zariachi's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-16-2009 02:47 PM
    Threads

So because we watch anime and read manga you assume we are either A.Asian or B.Want to be asian.

I think this means that asians who want to be Caucasian watch american cartoons,or so you imply.Your theory and statements are not only wrong but double meaning.
    Dark Side Of The Smiley.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by zariachi View Post
    So because we watch anime and read manga you assume we are either A.Asian or B.Want to be asian.

I think this means that asians who want to be Caucasian watch american cartoons,or so you imply.Your theory and statements are not only wrong but double meaning.
    Not at all. I just looked for forums themed towards Japanese culture. I meant no disrespect. I watch anime and other cartoons from time to time.

The thing is that most of these individuals have first experienced Asian culture through anime and other Japanese media. So that's just the first place I looked.

I'm unaware of a correlation between double eyelid surgery and american cartoons.
    Thank you!

Of The Word Bearers Primarch Lorgar has a reputation beyond repute Primarch Lorgar has a reputation beyond repute Primarch Lorgar has a reputation beyond repute Primarch Lorgar has a reputation beyond repute Primarch Lorgar has a reputation beyond repute Primarch Lorgar has a reputation beyond repute Primarch Lorgar has a reputation beyond repute Primarch Lorgar has a reputation beyond repute Primarch Lorgar has a reputation beyond repute Primarch Lorgar has a reputation beyond repute Primarch Lorgar has a reputation beyond repute Primarch Lorgar's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2010 05:06 AM
    Threads

Questions:
    1) Lorgar
    2) 23
    3) Australia
    4) Mostly consisting of white/black
    5) When i was a kid watching cartoons
    6) Yes
    7) No
    8) No
    9) I no basic japanese which i learnt in high school
    10) I have finished year 12, have a trade and a certificate 3 in animation.
    11) The way the think, the humor over there, the respectful manner in which most people treat each other.
    12) Yes i have been to Japan more specificly only tokyo
    13) My father probably wouldn't be to pleased but for the most part fine.
    14) I have told them
    15) I have a few younger friends who feel that way
    16) Nope
    17) Most people call me a pervert for the anime i watch but i appriciate the art form so i like to just call myself a fan.
    18) Most days
    19) Anime/metal/social/information websites about various things.
    20) Rather enjoyable
    21) I think your studies are a good idea, humanity can never learn enough about itself and i think what your doing is very good!

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

1) Jonah
    2) 16
    3) Central Coast, California
    4) Mexican as far as the eye can see.
    5) An Asian bookstore.
    6) Yes.
    7) Not really.
    8) God no, no beawoo.
    9) Some. In a Japanese class. Either that or French and don't get me started on French people.
    10) Halfway through high school.
    11) I don't.
    12) No.
    13) I don't.
    14) Because I'm not. Coming out of the closet about wanting to be Asian, huh? Sounds like a Judd Apatow flick.
    15) Yes.
    16) No.
    17) Cool guy.
    18) Often enough.
    19) Forums, image websites and news sites.
    20) Not well done. Doesn't give you an option to say you AREN'T a beawoo.
    21) Go and ask these at an anime con. You will get a boatload of better answers from teens who want to be Asian.

みんなで歌おうよ!
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-14-2013 06:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I think that the reasons why Asians want to look Caucasians are different from the reasons why Caucasians want to look Asian.

Personally, I find Japanese females in general more attractive than females of the other races. And I know Caucasians females who find Japanese or Asian males more attractive than Caucasian males. And personally I find Asian males a lot more "cool"-looking than Caucasians. I believe that sexual preference is one of the major reasons why a lot of Caucasians would want to look Asian. (Even though personally, I have no intention to change my look or race at all.)

Other reasons include being obsessed with Japanese or other Asian cultures because of what Eris described, which is the result of all the Asian media (anime/music/martial arts movies) and advertisement, and the general impression about Japan being the #1 country in technology and economics and excellent in many other fields, combined with the lack of knowledge about the "less flattering" things in the Asian countries, especially their social problems.

While for Asians wanting to look Caucasian, I think it's more complicated because of their social problems. EDIT: I have removed relatively unrelated stuff, that I can not provide proof for. But please refer the post below for external resources.

I don't know if my knowledge can be used as a reliable source for your research, since I got mostly from online sources like Wikipedia, blogs of social scientists who traveled and lived in Japan for social research, interviews with Japanese women, social research sites, youtube, taking a look at Japanese social networks, etc... Well, and I know someone who traveled to and lived in Japan (and still lives there). Though to be honest, I didn't ask him about most of what I said, and I've never been there myself. So you can say that what I know is almost roughly theoretical, and is pretty much the sum (or part of the sum) of research that has been made about Japan. I believe that it's at least very close to reality, but I prefer if Japanese people themselves talk about these issues, since I am very interested in hearing their opinions personally from them, especially from ones who traveled and lived in the west, or even from western people who traveled and lived in Japan and saw with their own eyes.

Damn it! I always wanted a Japanese culture sub-forum... But Kaitou is super lazy busy with his life that he has no time to add this little section.
    Last edited by Aku no Hikari; 11-23-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: removed personal opinions.

みんなで歌おうよ!
    Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Ah, also I'd like to participate in your survey:

1) Aku no Hikari (悪の光 - Light of Evil)
    2) 19
    3) Middle East
    4) Pretty much everyone is Caucasian
    5) Well, I've always thought Japan is cool since my childhood. People always talk about Japan being #1 in technology and economics, and excellent in almost everything they do. Translated (dubbed) Japanese science shows and other (silly, but funny) Japanese shows were aired in my country for children. I thought that Japanese people look very nice (optically). And when I heard the Japanese language the first time, I thought it sounds very sweet. (And btw, I HATE FRENCH!! Though that's totally unrelated.) Anyways, a couple years ago my serious interest started when I started researching about it. I am not obsessed with Japan now (though I admit I was in the beginning), but I'd still love to live there if I had the chance to.
    6) From time to time, but I don't watch TV often.
    7) No. If Otaku means someone who simply loves, and wishes they live in Japan, and loves Japanese music, culture, anime, etc., then yes. But if it means a mindless teenager who is obsessed with anime and thinks Japan is a Utopia of anime and sushi, and wants to be Japanese and get married to an anime character, no. (Well, that's probably an exaggerated otaku weeboo, but anyways...) (Though I admit I sometimes feel attracted to some anime girls, though rarely.)
    8) Never
    9) Japanese, self-teaching myself for about a year (though I've been going extremely slow right for a few months...) But I think I might decide to attend classes later.
    10) College student
    11) No, I don't want to be Asian. I've pretty much said everything about my interests in the Japanese culture.
    12) No, but I'd love to travel to Japan.
    13) I don't want to be Asian, or at least I don't want to change to Asian, but I think that it would have been cool if I were born Japanese. (Though that's totally absurd, because if I were born Asian, I might have had the desire to be Caucasian.)
    14) I have nothing to tell them about.
    15) My sister? :P
    16) No
    17) N/A
    18) A proud internet addict
    19) Wikipedia, programming websites (though I don't visit them now as often as before...), Japanese language websites, anime/manga, YouTube, psychology, logic, philosophy, funny things, etc... Besides from Wikipedia and some other websites, I have no particular website that I depend on to get anything from. I always Google what I want to find, and try to find it from different sources.
    20)
    21) Well, when you said you just found out that there are Caucasians who want to look Asian from some video rants (you didn't already know that), I found it a little strange that you don't know that.

Anyways, thanks for your effort. And good luck on your research.

Best regards.
    Last edited by Aku no Hikari; 11-24-2009 at 02:49 PM.

みんなで歌おうよ!
    Gil
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Someone repped me today saying that they don't believe in what I say. While I can't give a 100% proof that what I said is 100% correct, but I'd like to cite one main source which I got my information from, and then you'll decide yourself.

The following page is a list of links about relationships and dating in Japan, which were recommended by the author of the Japanese language section at About.com, WHICH IS AN ACTUAL JAPANESE WOMAN.

Relationships in the Japanese Culture - from About.com

And you may click here to see the biography of the author who recommended those links. So yeah, that's a sum of reviews, interviews and stuff, which were all approved by a real Japanese person who lives in Japan. And obviously, since she's Japanese herself and she lives there, it's very unlikely that she's wrong about it. And I don't think she has a reason to lie, or even the ability to do so, at least theoretically. The authors of About.com are hired professionals who have careers and reputation. And I think that putting misinformation in their website can be punishable. (Though I don't really know about the policy of the site, but About.com is a very reputated website.)

And I can go on and dig up more resources if you want, but I think this long list will do for now. Is it all 100% correct? Maybe a Japanese person can give you a sure answer for that. But I think it's at least close to reality, or part of it.

Anyways, the last thing I'd like to say is that these resources are only related to Japanese relationships, dating Japanese people, social life in Japan, and why would Japanese people want to go live in the US. But it has NOTHING to do with why they would want to look Caucasian. What I was saying in that long post above is that I think that those problems are involved in why Japanese people want to look like Caucasian, though I haven't based that on anything that can be used as an evidence. The only way to find out is to study the psychology of an actual Japanese person who wants to look Caucasian.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Some of those links in the page above show a 404 error when you click them, but anyways, the working ones have pretty much everything. This particular one is an interview with a Japanese woman. While I don't think that she's talking form an objective point of view, but it shows the psychology of a Japanese woman towards foreign men and the desire to be American:

http://intersections.anu.edu.au/issue4/karen.html (You can scroll down to #10 to start reading from the beginning of the interview if you want to skip all the intro.)

http://www.biz2web.com/grant/c11.htm (This one is a letter written from a social scientist who lived in Japan, and it talks about a lot of points, some of them are related to marriage in Japan.)
    Last edited by Aku no Hikari; 11-23-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: saving your butts from having to click all the links one by one to see these ones

For I am not the one Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2010 10:44 AM
    Threads

1) Annie
    2) 22
    3) England but now usa
    4) Mostly consisting of white/black/Mexican
    5)Tv
    6)Yes i do
    7) No
    8) No
    9) I know a few words that i learn from watching anime.
    10) Right now im at college
    11) I just think they are really cute
    12)No but i would love to go.
    13)My family think that im weird.
    14)I have told them
    15)Yes, my friends
    16) no
    17) no
    18) Everyday
    19) AF,Facebook, Youtube etc
    20) Very Cute
    21) Thank you

Member Desert Coyote has a reputation beyond repute Desert Coyote has a reputation beyond repute Desert Coyote has a reputation beyond repute Desert Coyote has a reputation beyond repute Desert Coyote has a reputation beyond repute Desert Coyote has a reputation beyond repute Desert Coyote has a reputation beyond repute Desert Coyote has a reputation beyond repute Desert Coyote has a reputation beyond repute Desert Coyote has a reputation beyond repute Desert Coyote has a reputation beyond repute Desert Coyote's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-31-2010 04:12 PM
    Threads

1) Use my initials, D.A.M.
    2) 34
    3) Upper Midwest
    4) Very mixed demographic (UN refugee relocation area) racially. School is just as diverse, about 60-65% female.
    5) Living in Hawaii, had imported Japanese television. I've also had Japanese affinities all my life having been born in Japan to military parents.
    6) Yes.
    7) A recovering otaku.
    8) No I do not cosplay.
    9) I know a few phrases in Japanese, but not enough to maintain a conversation. Mostly phrases learned from aural repetition.
    10) Graduate student (Masters level)
    11) It's a sense of getting back to the roots where I was born.
    12) Born in Kanagawa prefecture, Japan.
    13) Accepting. Most see my interest in the culture as a means of expanding horizons.
    14) N/A
    15) No.
    16) No.
    17) "Recovering otaku."
    18) Daily.
    19) News sites, mostly, but message boards, some blogs, webmail.
    20) Interesting.
    21) I would not define myself as trying to "turn" Asian, per se ... I've always felt an affinity toward Asian culture, particularly its stories and legends, not to mention its fine arts and the finer points of culture, such as food, dress, etc. Again, this may be because of the accident of my birth, but I have always harbored an interest in all things Japanese.

Will you help me with my college project, Ms. Gould? I'd really appreciate your feedback.
    "I can cross 'Stab Hitler to death' off my list of cool crap I thought I'd never get to do."--Brock Samson, Venture Brothers

Closed Thread

Thread Information