I need your help.My name is Kate Gould, a junior English major, Biology minor, at Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania.
I'm in an Asian-American film class called "The Politics of Pleasure," concerning the dichotomies of race and sexuality, and I'm doing some research towards a final paper.
I had originally been interested in double eyelid surgery as well as eye glue and eye tape, and what it meant to be Asian and to be desiring a larger, rounder eye. This was all very well and good, but during my research I stumbled across a series of videos and web rants from non-Asian teenagers who want to be Asian. This more or less contradicted my entire argument concerning plastic surgery and race, and everything that academics have been writing about on Asian-American culture and sexuality, so I was intrigued. I decided to write my paper on it.
The problem is, other than a few videos and a wikiHow or two, there is almost no information, scholarly or otherwise, concerning this growing web culture.
So I am asking you for help.
If you are a non-Asian teen or young adult who wants to be or look Asian, or a non-Asian teen who identifies heavily with Asian culture, I would like you to answer the following set of questions in either a text or video response. I will be using this information to compile a set of information on the mindset behind this web culture, to explore it on neutral, academic ground, and to provide some new information for scholars in this area.
You can use a pseudonym, a set of initials, or a username to identify yourself, but for the sake of using your answers in my paper, I'll need something to call you.
The more people I get for my research, the more comprehensive my study will be, so please submit your answers and please encourage your friends to answer as well.
I can be contacted here, on YouTube, or at firstname.lastname@example.org
1) What is your name? (Name, initials, username, cats name, whatever)
2) How old are you?
3) Where are you from? You don't have to be specific, just general region will be fine.
4) What does your community's demographic look like? If you attend school, what does your school's demographic look like?
5) How did you first encounter Asian culture?
6) Do you watch anime?
7) Do you consider yourself an otaku?
8) Do you use makeup or clothing to make yourself look Asian?
9) Do you speak an Asian language, maybe a few words or do you speak it fluently? Did you teach it to yourself, or did you learn it in a class?
10) How much education have you completed so far? Middle school, high school, or college?
11) Why do you want to be Asian? What makes the culture so interesting for you?
12) Have you ever been to East Asia, namely, Japan, Korea, or China?
13) What are your friends' and families' reactions to your desire to be Asian?
14) If you haven't told them, why not?
15) Do you know any other people, IRL or online, who want to be Asian?
16) Have you, or has anyone you know, had surgery to make yourself look Asian? (Rhinoplasty, nylon wire implant, so on)
17) Do you have a specific term to call yourself? (anime fan is present web culture, but considered derogatory.)
18) How often do you use the internet?
19) What kinds of websites do you visit?
20) What did you think of the interview?
21) And, finally, is there anything else you want to say?