AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: Why Tarot Reading IS BAD II

  1. #51
    Cowboy Psychologist Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show's Avatar
    Gil
    25,677.55
    Gender
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2013 12:07 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Avalanches above..."
    Threads
    24
    Posts
    1,306
    Rep Power
    1970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    Also, people are inclined to believe what they want to believe. While my experience with magick has proven its existence to me, I doubt that I would be able to do the same with people who are most likely predisposed to not believing in the first place. And I am not in any hurry to waste my time trying. Magick is a little more about conscience manipulation and autosuggestion. How much manipulation is actually taking place...well, again, it seems like one of those things that I probably shouldn't even try explaining. Just like the nice feeling of energy that I get when standing in a field or looking at the moon. Is there an explanation for this? Perhaps. But, once again, its one of those things I have a feeling I shouldn't go into.
    Happy feelings standing in a field can be explained using scientific means (namely in the fields of anthropology and psychology). What's the state motto of Missouri, again?

    I still eagerly await the day someone can demonstrate a causal relationship between their spellcasting and an intended effect that can be replicated by an unrelated person using identical methods. I will not, however, be waiting with bated breath.


    Bad Memory

  2. #52
    Mavericker- nothing else Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker's Avatar
    Gil
    49,040.00
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-26-2009 05:44 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Threads
    436
    Posts
    2,951
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Batman- View Post
    The bible also speaks of dozens of prophets who've predicted the future, none of whom are God, but mortal men.
    On top of that, some of them are saints and according to the bible most of their prophecy's on the future came true.

    Explain that one.
    Men of GOD get revelations about the future because GOD tells them. If it's not from God it's from the Devil and if it from the Devil it's a lie.

    As a man of God I'm just telling you people what God's Word says-y'all can't say you weren't told.
    Last edited by Mavericker; 10-22-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    People I'm ignoring:

    Ciel Soleil
    Heinekenrana
    Legit
    SeraphimAriaRhapsody
    The Governator
    wolfgirl90

    Here's a message to all of you:

    http://www.animeforum.com/showthread...93#post2342093

    Mav loves how he was likened to John McCain:

    http://boards.adultswim.com/adultswi...50674#M2018543

  3. #53
    Senior Member TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    0.11
    Gender
    My Mood
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2013 03:50 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    TheAsterism!
    Age
    23
    Threads
    39
    Posts
    2,025
    Blog Entries
    41
    Rep Power
    1568
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Parugin

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Mavericker View Post
    Men of GOD get revelations about the future because GOD tells them. If it's not from God it's from the Devil and if it from the Devil it's a lie.
    As a man of God I'm just telling you people what God's Word says-y'all can't say you weren't told.
    How can one tell if a man claiming to receive his prophecies from God is not an agent of Satan, leading the otherwise faithful astray with heathen divination?
    What if Revelations is a scheme concocted by Satan to make people act poorly whenever they think the world is about to end?

    Is there a test for such truths? I'd very much like to know it.
    | Puppy Linux || Get it right. ||


    If you would like to seek unification with my dynasty, simply plant the flag of the Central Asterikan Republic into your signature to join in the glory that is TheAsterism!

  4. #54
    Junior Member Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle's Avatar
    Gil
    520.00
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-23-2009 12:07 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Threads
    2
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    0

    Smile Why is this thread even in here?

    Religion is an opinion, not a fact.
    I signed up for this forum to natter about anime, not to be preached at in an incredibly narrow minded and patronising manner. Everyone is entitled to their own religion, or lack there of. This thread is nothing more than someone flaming a subject they disagree with.
    If I had more sense I'd just ignore this thread, but as a very moral person, who also happens to read Tarot, I am extremely indignant of this subject matter!
    If I posted a thread that claimed that religion is evil because it is responsible for just about every major war in history (which it is) I'm pretty sure it would be removed, and quite rightly too, because it's insulting. And my arguement would be a lot more valid than this one! >>> tell me I'm wrong and mean it!!!
    I can't be the only person here who's offended by this.

    And P.S. I DON'T WANT TO BE TOLD/WARNED/CONVERTED/SAVED!!!

    Last edited by Shinigami Turtle; 10-23-2009 at 06:30 AM.
    S H I N I G A M I T U R T L E ! ! ! ! ! !

  5. #55
    Cowboy Psychologist Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show's Avatar
    Gil
    25,677.55
    Gender
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2013 12:07 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Avalanches above..."
    Threads
    24
    Posts
    1,306
    Rep Power
    1970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinigami Turtle View Post
    If I posted a thread that claimed that religion is evil because it is responsible for just about every major war in history (which it is) I'm pretty sure it would be removed, and quite rightly too, because it's insulting. And my arguement would be a lot more valid than this one! >>> tell me I'm wrong and mean it!!!
    You're wrong, and I mean it. The vast majority of wars throughout mankind's history were fought over land and resources more than for religion. Assuming you made a list of 'major wars' that religion was responsible for, both World Wars would be absent your list. The interim wars would be absent your list. The Boer Wars (important in that it's the first wars in which a developed nation is attacking a less developed nation) would be absent your list. The American Revolution and Civil War would both be absent your list (civil war had strong religious undercurrents, but would have happened with or without religion). Virtually all of China and Japan's internal wars would be absent your list. Most serious conflicts post-Cold-War would be absent your list.

    Would you like to revise your argument?

    Anyway, this topic's nothing to get one's panties in a bunch about. One person says tarot reading is bad because of his interpretation of the Christian Bible. Hardly a threat to the believers in tarot-card-ism, hm?


    Bad Memory

  6. #56
    Junior Member Yellow7 has a reputation beyond repute Yellow7 has a reputation beyond repute Yellow7 has a reputation beyond repute Yellow7 has a reputation beyond repute Yellow7 has a reputation beyond repute Yellow7 has a reputation beyond repute Yellow7 has a reputation beyond repute Yellow7 has a reputation beyond repute Yellow7 has a reputation beyond repute Yellow7 has a reputation beyond repute Yellow7 has a reputation beyond repute Yellow7's Avatar
    Gil
    300.00
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2009 02:55 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Threads
    2
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I could only agree that by some definitions, Tarot reading is bad in the sense that I believe it is a waste of time, and possibly money if you're paying for such a reading. Even so, I don't disparage others for having their own opinions about Tarot readings and even in a religious sense, the practice is tolerable as long as it does not supercede your beliefs or value system. At that point, you've changed religions. That's pretty much the only "danger" I know of Tarot cards posessing to any of the majore religions I've studied.

    A negative opinion of Tarot cards is one example of the approach some religious peoples have where the logic is "if we hate all things that can possibly be abused to the point it could corrupt our souls, then we'll be safe." This is, of course, a logical fallacy, but it does have some popularity, and is sadly the most vocal portion of the religious community (and not just Christians).

    A more successful approach in many religious groups has been a matter of exploratory understanding. Going into a subject like Tarot reading, we'd start with a basis from someone else's experience, like "Tarot reading is bad." We then say, "ok, if this is true, I don't have to take their word for it, I can and should find out for myself and understand the thing he is against." Hypothesis should be made, tested, improved, and understanding should be sought. For the religious individual, ground rules could be setup so they can avoid "dangers" of the given topic. Perhaps they're investigating the dangers of drugs or something. They probably don't want to go out and TRY drugs to see if they can understand them. They could, however, talk to a lot of people who do drugs, people who sell drugs, people who fight against drugs, and see what effects drugs have on all these different perspectives.

    Seems more healthy than ranting on an internet forum about an opinion when your goal is not for discussion, but for conversion.

  7. #57
    Junior Member Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle has much to be proud of Shinigami Turtle's Avatar
    Gil
    520.00
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-23-2009 12:07 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Threads
    2
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    0

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten Show View Post
    You're wrong, and I mean it. The vast majority of wars throughout mankind's history were fought over land and resources more than for religion. Assuming you made a list of 'major wars' that religion was responsible for, both World Wars would be absent your list. The interim wars would be absent your list. The Boer Wars (important in that it's the first wars in which a developed nation is attacking a less developed nation) would be absent your list. The American Revolution and Civil War would both be absent your list (civil war had strong religious undercurrents, but would have happened with or without religion). Virtually all of China and Japan's internal wars would be absent your list. Most serious conflicts post-Cold-War would be absent your list.

    Would you like to revise your argument?

    Anyway, this topic's nothing to get one's panties in a bunch about. One person says tarot reading is bad because of his interpretation of the Christian Bible. Hardly a threat to the believers in tarot-card-ism, hm?


    Bad Memory



    No, I don't want to revise my argument. But I suppose I should amend it as my wording was unfair. It would have been better to say that people are always using religion as an excuse to be pretty crappy to each other, rather than citing it as the actual cause. (Though it often is the cause and not merley the excuse.)

    Anyway, regardless of the cause of a war there will usually (though not always) be some kind of religous justification (as with WWII) which, as far as I'm concerned, is just as bad.

    But if you want some kind of 'proof' of the extreme violence of religion then there's The Milites Christi ('Onward Christian Soldier!'), The Crusades, Northern Island, the Salem Witch Hunts, The 30 Years War. And the Protestant Reformation was the cause of a whole slew of wars across Europe (though I'm aware that's debatable). And there was that revolution in China that was down to the influence of Christianity on some Chinese general or something, I think it was Shangdi (high god of China)... erm, (no, I'll have to look that one up). Then there's Charlemagne and his lot, were they the Saxons? The French Wars of Religion. (Bear in mind that I'm just reeling this off as I think of it so I apologise for going in and out of context)... Anyway, I'm sure I could go on if I rattled my brain but I'm bored now.

    But that was not actually my point anyway. My point was, that if I did create such a thread, it would be removed because it would be highly offensive to a lot of people. As this thread is offensive to me.

    My post was not intended to offend, only to complain. And though I wouldn't go so far as to say I've got my knickers in a twist, I certainly am offended my this thread. The words 'in my opinion' go a long way to keeping things 'fair'. This thread is a flame, there is no negotiation or justification, just 'my god says so', it isn't even relative to the forum.


    (P.S. I've never heard of the interim wars, what are they?)
    Last edited by Shinigami Turtle; 10-23-2009 at 12:28 PM.
    S H I N I G A M I T U R T L E ! ! ! ! ! !

  8. #58
    Senior Member TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    0.11
    Gender
    My Mood
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2013 03:50 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    TheAsterism!
    Age
    23
    Threads
    39
    Posts
    2,025
    Blog Entries
    41
    Rep Power
    1568
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Parugin

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinigami Turtle View Post
    The Crusades
    Also for plunder, though, and retaliation to each others' invasions.
    Northern Island
    There's actually a whole lot of political motivation behind that example. Religion is secondary, but used as if it were propaganda very often.
    Salem Witch Hunts
    Not really fair to religion, since the Puritans were particularly strange, and today would be like one of those cults hidden out in Montana that makes national news for one illegal eccentricity after another.
    Those idiots, to give an example, actual thought that Satan lived out in the forests just beyond their towns. If you read old Puritan sermons and other texts, you'll see him referred to as 'the black man of the forest,' in keeping with early depictions of the devil as devoid of light (-> "black").
    Including them is like including all those fake, simplified, stylized, vaguely eastern 'religions' that sprang up in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Please don't.

    I don't know the rest well enough off the top of my head to comment, but I'm sure there's another know-it-all besides me who can do it instead.

    This thread is a flame, there is no negotiation or justification, just 'my god says so', it isn't even relative to the forum.
    I can agree with this much, at least, but...
    Honestly, if this offends you so, how have you survived out in the world?

    For my ease, I redirect you to my first question in my earlier post, but rephrased:
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    How can one tell if Satan has not created tarot reading, leading the otherwise faithful astray with heathen divination?
    It's an absurd question, to be sure, but it points out how neither you nor Mavericker are demonstrably correct. You both have mere opinions, and no facts behind them.
    I don't really believe in the validity of religion or the kind of stuff you seem to like. It's all quite silly. But if Mavericker cannot demand respect for his outlandish ideas, then why do you think you can?
    One standard, please, to ease my mind.
    Last edited by TheAsterisk!; 10-23-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: I do so hate hypocrisy, whatever the source or the matter.
    | Puppy Linux || Get it right. ||


    If you would like to seek unification with my dynasty, simply plant the flag of the Central Asterikan Republic into your signature to join in the glory that is TheAsterism!

  9. #59
    Brobocop Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    100,097.29
    Gender
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2014 09:19 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Tau Ceti V
    Age
    27
    Threads
    616
    Posts
    19,589
    Blog Entries
    619
    Rep Power
    14531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Ah what the heck, I'm in a good mood today, this thread gets to live. But if even the most insignificant flame war arises, I'll close it.
    -------^
    D:

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Which Anime You Want to Crossover?
    By Ashminigun in forum General Anime & Manga
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 10:40 PM
  2. Hi, I'm new here
    By AuraAeroXX in forum Introductions
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 09-13-2006, 09:40 AM
  3. New!!
    By Anime2theXtreme in forum Introductions
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 05:03 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts