AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Was it really necessary for the US to change the Neptune/Uranus yuri?

Senior Member TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper's Avatar
    Gil
    Happy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2011 03:50 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Was it really necessary for the US to change the Neptune/Uranus yuri?

I don't see anything wrong with a Yuri anyway, if two people are in love then that is fine. Pokemon made Harley out to be gay and that was fine.
    You can also consider what animation aimed at chrildren that originates in America has included.
    Captain Planet for example has an episode about Aids. Although it was caused by a blood transfusion in this particular episode usually when people think of Aids they think of drug use and unprotected sex.
    Arthur: It has made a reference to South Park before. A children's program that references a show that focusses on being offensive.

There are plenty more examples out there of American children's animation including slightly controversial subjects so what is so bad about a yuri? In addition to this Sailor Moon actually looks like it is aimed at a slightly older audience than Arthur is so I see no need to have a problem with a yuri.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

^^Still working on list, not every anime I has seen has been added yet.

"Why should people trust me? They don't have any reason to, yet. Distrust is human nature. Distrust creates doubt and doubt causes people to miss judge the intention of others. But people can change, can't they?"

Junior Member Remigton Skyle is on a distinguished road Remigton Skyle's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2009 01:56 AM
    Threads

Well the markets are vastly different for one. Anime is a great artform, but at the end of the day you're selling a product. Also American audiences (especially at the time) where and are even still today, much more conservative than Japanese audiences. And consider when Sailor moon came out. Anime was still underground (in a way, in America) and as I said earlier, you have to play to the state of the marke you're selling to at the time. Also localization and Americanization at the time was much more extreme, look as as recent as Pokemon, Digimon, and Shaman King. It's simple, at the time the anime was not nearly as popular as it is now, they had to sell the product to American consumers, and localization and americanization was much more extreme at the time. At least thats my theory anyway
    A new member am I

Senior Member TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper has a reputation beyond repute TheSplundPopper's Avatar
    Gil
    Happy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2011 03:50 PM
    Threads

I was more wondering why they would view a yuri as something more controversial than some of the things that American animation aimed at children has been allowed to include.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

^^Still working on list, not every anime I has seen has been added yet.

"Why should people trust me? They don't have any reason to, yet. Distrust is human nature. Distrust creates doubt and doubt causes people to miss judge the intention of others. But people can change, can't they?"

Junior Member Remigton Skyle is on a distinguished road Remigton Skyle's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2009 01:56 AM
    Threads

Well that might be a question for someone on the staff at the time. I do know this though, (going to school to be a teacher and all) you have to treat childrens stuff with a "Gloved Hand" so to speak. I mean I know what you are saying in regards to the content in Sailor Moon, in all likelihood the American publishing company that translated and published it in America just made the call to be "extra" careful. It sucks I know (Uranus being my favorate sailor scout) but que sera sera as they say. Anyone worth their salt in Sailor Moon fandom knows about the Yuri (I have to say it wasn't that hard to figure out anyway) and if they have a problem with it they move on. Plus certain studios can take more artistic and story driven license than other so that may play a role too.
    A new member am I

Senior Member nekosenshi has a reputation beyond repute nekosenshi has a reputation beyond repute nekosenshi has a reputation beyond repute nekosenshi has a reputation beyond repute nekosenshi has a reputation beyond repute nekosenshi has a reputation beyond repute nekosenshi has a reputation beyond repute nekosenshi has a reputation beyond repute nekosenshi has a reputation beyond repute nekosenshi has a reputation beyond repute nekosenshi has a reputation beyond repute nekosenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-01-2010 11:30 AM
    Threads

I totally agree that there is nothing wrong with yuri (or yaoi for that matter) and that Americans are way too uptight about it.

Kaoru and Kenshin Forever

Closed Thread

Thread Information