AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Final Q's and Comments on GITS:SAC

Mavericker- nothing else Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-26-2009 05:44 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default GITS:SAC is RACIST and OTHER FINAL COMMENTS

I noticed that of the few BLACKS who appeared on the show, the first one was a criminal (he had dreadlocks and dark glasses and he was the one Motoko captured and held at gun point in an early episode of GITS:SAC 1st Gig), the second one was a big dimwitted towering lummox who worked in a bar, and the last one was another criminal who worked for a cyber-pimp. That is racist-does anyone else feel that way or am I reading too much into it?

Why is it called GHOST IN THE SHELL? A "ghost" from what I understand is a person's essence or soul, and they capture it and upload it into a person's prostethetic body. How do you upload and capture a person's soul into a prosthetic body? A soul is the spiritual part of a person and this sounds like witchcraft at work.
    Last edited by Mavericker; 08-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Senior Member Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra's Avatar
    Gil
    Woot
    Gifts Kawaii Ice Cream Cone Apple Systems NES Controller
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2011 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mavericker View Post
    I noticed that of the few BLACKS who appeared on the show, the first one was a criminal (he had dreadlocks and dark glasses and he was the one Motoko captured and held at gun point in an early episode of GITS:SAC 1st Gig), the second one was a big dimwitted towering lummox who worked in a bar, and the last one was another criminal who worked for a cyber-pimp. That is racist-does anyone else feel that way or am I reading too much into it?

Why is it called GHOST IN THE SHELL? A "ghost" from what I understand is a person's essence or soul, and they capture it and upload it into a person's prostethetic body. How do you upload and capture a person's soul into a prosthetic body? A soul is the spiritual part of a person and this sounds like witchcraft at work.
    While I am not of the power to force my opinion on the matter, I do believe it would be for the best if we kept the tense subject of racism out of this section and in Miscellaneous where I would think it be better suited. This is a clean section, and I'd appreciate it if we could keep it that way.

With regards to your second question, I do believe it speaks for itself. A 'ghost', as they so eloquently put it in the anime, resides within the proverbial shell of a prosthetic body. This reference, as far as I know, was spoken only in regards to those who actually had a prosthetic body and never by comparison to a human of flesh and blood.

Have a good day.

My thanks to Xey Oiz for the awesome new set.

"Screw being normal and be awesome instead!"

Mavericker- nothing else Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Shinn Kamiyra View Post
    While I am not of the power to force my opinion on the matter, I do believe it would be for the best if we kept the tense subject of racism out of this section and in Miscellaneous where I would think it be better suited. This is a clean section, and I'd appreciate it if we could keep it that way.

With regards to your second question, I do believe it speaks for itself. A 'ghost', as they so eloquently put it in the anime, resides within the proverbial shell of a prosthetic body. This reference, as far as I know, was spoken only in regards to those who actually had a prosthetic body and never by comparison to a human of flesh and blood.

Have a good day.
    I disagree-a lot of anime has a history of being racist.

No one else noticed this stuff?
    Last edited by Mavericker; 08-12-2009 at 10:12 AM.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Ghost is analogous to, but not exactly, a soul. Major has one because she is human even though her body isn't. The blond female androids that do a lot of the grunt work on the communications side at Section 9 do not have ghosts because they are fairly simple AI. The Fuchikoma/Tachikoma are a complex case, but they apparently don't in the manga. The only non-human that has a ghost is The Puppetmaster. It's probably best thought of as the spark that separates humans from animals, although in this setting it is considerably more complicated then that.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    Ghost is analogous to, but not exactly, a soul. Major has one because she is human even though her body isn't. The blond female androids that do a lot of the grunt work on the communications side at Section 9 do not have ghosts because they are fairly simple AI. The Fuchikoma/Tachikoma are a complex case, but they apparently don't in the manga. The only non-human that has a ghost is The Puppetmaster. It's probably best thought of as the spark that separates humans from animals, although in this setting it is considerably more complicated then that.
    Okay, but what about the way blacks are portrayed in the show? You don't think it's patronizing or offensive?

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Okay, but what about the way blacks are portrayed in the show? You don't think it's patronizing or offensive?
    No, not really.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

No, not really.
    Why? It's like saying blacks are inferior and all they are good for are being criminals.

4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Why? It's like saying blacks are inferior and all they are good for are being criminals.
    No it isn't. It's three characters, not an entire race. Point me in the direction of any statements by any of the major characters or the show's staff that would establish their opinions on black people has a whole.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

No it isn't. It's three characters, not an entire race. Point me in the direction of any statements by any of the major characters or the show's staff that would establish their opinions on black people has a whole.
    Then why are the only THREE BLACK CHARACTERS on the show ONLY portrayed NEGATIVELY?

4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Then why are the only THREE BLACK CHARACTERS on the show ONLY portrayed NEGATIVELY?
    You're grasping for straws. Please point me in the direction of any statements by any of the major characters or the show's staff that would establish their opinions on black people has a whole.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

You're grasping for straws. Please point me in the direction of any statements by any of the major characters or the show's staff that would establish their opinions on black people has a whole.
    Do you get what I'm getting at here? Those are NEGATIVE black steretypes.

Thriller Eve Serpentarius has a reputation beyond repute Serpentarius has a reputation beyond repute Serpentarius has a reputation beyond repute Serpentarius has a reputation beyond repute Serpentarius has a reputation beyond repute Serpentarius has a reputation beyond repute Serpentarius has a reputation beyond repute Serpentarius has a reputation beyond repute Serpentarius has a reputation beyond repute Serpentarius has a reputation beyond repute Serpentarius has a reputation beyond repute Serpentarius's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-19-2010 08:43 PM
    Threads

there are many more intelligent ways to argue racism. i'm black and i don't look too much into it. in every culture, there will be caricatures of other races so of course anime would contain some.

its pretty petty and trivial to discuss racism with such scant evidence. much like the "i'm not jewish" rant in the ethnicity thread. be prepared to discuss heavier issues such as race with lots of evidence, well thought out argument and know ur audience

4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Do you get what I'm getting at here? Those are NEGATIVE black steretypes.
    I do see what you're getting at, and have asked you to provide more evidence. I guess you can't.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I do see what you're getting at, and have asked you to provide more evidence. I guess you can't.
    Have they ever had any blacks on the show who WEREN'T criminals?

The Major is an immoral {word meaning one who engages in sexual acts for financial compensation has been redacted}- a woman who uses sexuality as a tactical device.
    I'm glad I stopped watching it.

Closed Thread

Thread Information