AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Bringing parents to conventions

Member sbsp13668 is a jewel in the rough sbsp13668 is a jewel in the rough sbsp13668 is a jewel in the rough sbsp13668 is a jewel in the rough sbsp13668's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-27-2010 10:42 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Bringing parents to conventions

I'm going to my first convention soon, and some unreliable friends are going with me. By "unreliable" I mean that they may not get our tickets, and they may not even show up. So I was wondering if there's anything I should be worried about if I'm forced to go with my mother...?

The convention that I'm going to is Fan Expo 2009 in Toronto, Canada. Fan Expo isn't only an anime convention, and it includes some actors/actresses that my mother is interested in seeing, so it won't be boring for her. http://www.hobbystar.com/fanexpo/

I feel like a bit of a geek, having to go to a convention with my mother; it's like the ultimate stereotype. XD
    You can close your eyes to reality but not the memories... We erase it from our memories, but the imprint is always there...
    If we are willing to kill inorder to save this world, then this world is not worth saving.

Junior Member Dreydor is just really nice Dreydor is just really nice Dreydor is just really nice Dreydor is just really nice Dreydor's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2009 11:04 PM
    Threads

Umm, i dont see the problem in hoping your friends are going to sholw up and if not going by yourself. Cons are a great place to hang, even without frriends you no, and to meat other people that all share an interest in the same things you do.

Now i personally would not go with my mother, but hey, nothings stopping u from, lol

Senior Member Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata has a reputation beyond repute Sonata's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2009 06:28 PM
    Threads

Depends on your mother, maybe...my mom's a wacky artist and often mistaken as my sister. I've invited her to tag along at a few cons and she had a blast at the concerts and art show, but didn't know enough about anime to appreciate the panels.
    Ish hogtied, mostly, on a grill, oh, baby, covered in chocolate, mostly,
    with a banana in his mouth. Oh, oh, baby, if only Ai were that chick....

~AnimeGlobe, Old Skool - Society for the Creative Eating of the Ish~

Senior Member Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts 025 - Pikachu Ceiling Cat Albatross
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-19-2014 02:52 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

SO what? Embrace the geekyness. Besides, you can seperate with your mom and go to your areas of interests. But of course have cellies with you so you may contact your mom by the end of the day.

Perverted Kitty of Doom lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2013 01:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

its not so bad. i know my mom wanted to go to a convention with me and i thought it was a great idea . shes your mom so she understands you. besides youre not a geek ^^
    you can't call me weird, cause im unique ^_^
    btw if youre going to admire me, please tell me who you are, gracias

siggy by teddy thankies ^^

**UPDATE** NEW DRAWINGS
    * * * A R T ~ W O R K * * *
    My sweet sweet family is located in my blog
    if you want to be a part of our family, pm me

Thunderbringer! RaShayRitto has a reputation beyond repute RaShayRitto has a reputation beyond repute RaShayRitto has a reputation beyond repute RaShayRitto has a reputation beyond repute RaShayRitto has a reputation beyond repute RaShayRitto has a reputation beyond repute RaShayRitto has a reputation beyond repute RaShayRitto has a reputation beyond repute RaShayRitto has a reputation beyond repute RaShayRitto has a reputation beyond repute RaShayRitto has a reputation beyond repute RaShayRitto's Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Cake
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2017 12:40 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by lilminx View Post
    besides youre not a geek ^^
    i'm pretty sure....we're ALL geeks o.o;
    Thanks to Wolley for the sexay siggeh! Good work, Wollz!
    On a mountain top
    Bearded RaShay slays demon
    Rocks out on guitar

Perverted Kitty of Doom lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx has a reputation beyond repute lilminx's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2013 01:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaShayRitto View Post
    i'm pretty sure....we're ALL geeks o.o;
    no, we're special people
    you can't call me weird, cause im unique ^_^
    btw if youre going to admire me, please tell me who you are, gracias

siggy by teddy thankies ^^

**UPDATE** NEW DRAWINGS
    * * * A R T ~ W O R K * * *
    My sweet sweet family is located in my blog
    if you want to be a part of our family, pm me

Senior Member Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2009 10:42 AM
    Threads

I'm not sure what the convention is like where you're going, but you really need to have someone with you at a convention normally for safety reasons. If you can find another group to go with do that, or go with your mother. Since it sounds like your mom has an interest in the convention I think you should be okay. You don't have to spend the whole time with her, but if you are cosplaying one day I would have her with you.

Member sbsp13668 is a jewel in the rough sbsp13668 is a jewel in the rough sbsp13668 is a jewel in the rough sbsp13668 is a jewel in the rough sbsp13668's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-27-2010 10:42 PM
    Threads

Thanks for all the replies! ^.^

Well, turns out that my mother is going for lunch with my father instead. However, my friends are definitely going to be there for some time; just that they'll be showing up late (they'll probably miss the autograph sessions). I'd like to make some friends there! ^.^ The convention is going on today, as well, and I saw some nice cosplayers (most notably Rorschach from Watchmen, yay!). It'll be a good chance for me to make some friends who share similar interests! ^.~

Now, I'm wondering: what does the merchandise being sold at conventions cost? I've heard that it can be rather expensive, but it's good stuff from Japan.
    You can close your eyes to reality but not the memories... We erase it from our memories, but the imprint is always there...
    If we are willing to kill inorder to save this world, then this world is not worth saving.

Senior Member Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2009 10:42 AM
    Threads

I've only been to one convention, but there things were reasonable. Posters are normally the cheapest thing, but if you want a costume or something like that, expect to shell out more. Depending on what you want I'd say bring around $50-$100. Shopping at conventions is probably my favorite thing Hope you're having fun!

Junior Member Missytetra is on a distinguished road Missytetra's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2009 07:43 PM
    Threads

From first hand experience, going to conventions with parents is pretty awesome haha!

I went to Insert Coin '09, an arcade games convention here in UK as a cosplayer to take part in the Cosplay Clash, but my little brother also wanted to get into cosplay and was interested in Insert Coin because he loves video games (retro and new)... plus Tekken 6 was debuting there... I digress. Because my little brother is 12, and I'm just 18 and barely responsible enough to look after him for the entire weekend out of town, my dad decided to come along. He also loves video games and particularly old arcade games. So there was something there for everyone: Cosplay & Retro games for me, Shooters and Tournies for my bro, and Tech panels for my Dad. We all did our own thing, and also hung out together for lunch and stuff, and it was nice to have someone to gabble to about what we'd done that morning/afternoon/night. Plus it gave me someone else to travel with. I wasn't ashamed to be there with my dad because at conventions of any type you get age ranges from kids right up to old ladies (83yr old Rikku anyone?).

Another story is of Kilik's Mom. I don't know her real name but a girl called Kilik came to KitaCon '09. Her mom didn't want her going on her own so she came with for the entire weekend and trailed Kilik like a shadow. However! I ended up chatting to Kilik's mom more than Kilik herself (her badgename was "Kilik's Mom" so that's what I came to know her as). She had never been to a convention before, hell she didn't even understand what was going on half the time, but she loved talking to the people and thought it was so weird being surrounded by odd costumes and suchlike! She didn't embarass Kilik at all.

So all in all, I say BRING ON THE PARENTS. I'd be upset if I have children and they don't want me around at cons because I'LL STILL BE GOING TO THEM!!

Junior Member NeverJuice is on a distinguished road NeverJuice's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2009 03:41 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sbsp13668 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! ^.^

Well, turns out that my mother is going for lunch with my father instead. However, my friends are definitely going to be there for some time; just that they'll be showing up late (they'll probably miss the autograph sessions). I'd like to make some friends there! ^.^ The convention is going on today, as well, and I saw some nice cosplayers (most notably Rorschach from Watchmen, yay!). It'll be a good chance for me to make some friends who share similar interests! ^.~

Now, I'm wondering: what does the merchandise being sold at conventions cost? I've heard that it can be rather expensive, but it's good stuff from Japan.
    Yes, some of the stuff is rather expensive. If you want some things, you're going to have to bring a fat wallet.

Member zeromega has a reputation beyond repute zeromega has a reputation beyond repute zeromega has a reputation beyond repute zeromega has a reputation beyond repute zeromega has a reputation beyond repute zeromega has a reputation beyond repute zeromega has a reputation beyond repute zeromega has a reputation beyond repute zeromega has a reputation beyond repute zeromega has a reputation beyond repute zeromega has a reputation beyond repute zeromega's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-30-2009 11:54 PM
    Threads

don't buy anything you can get online like anime and manga.
    but posters and food are a must. as for bringing the rents, if
    the con your going to is like the ones i go to in Dallas, Texas
    then it's all about how strict they are. it can get crazy! and
    you never know when a party will just start up around you
    (it happened to me in my own room, don't know how). so if
    they are ok with stuff like that then bring'em.

Member silver_cyclone has a reputation beyond repute silver_cyclone has a reputation beyond repute silver_cyclone has a reputation beyond repute silver_cyclone has a reputation beyond repute silver_cyclone has a reputation beyond repute silver_cyclone has a reputation beyond repute silver_cyclone has a reputation beyond repute silver_cyclone has a reputation beyond repute silver_cyclone has a reputation beyond repute silver_cyclone has a reputation beyond repute silver_cyclone has a reputation beyond repute silver_cyclone's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2012 05:17 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I remember when I pushed my parents to go with me in an anime convention they were like " Why are they wearing costumes?" and when they saw Mahjimbu they said " Oh that's Mahjimbu right? Give me the camera and have a picture with him." They even bought me some stuffs that I can't afford.

Professor: So what's your theme?
    Me: Insanity is what makes an artist different.
    Professor: Are you insane?
    Me: uh....yeah? Sometimes?

Visit my sites:
    www.flickr.com/photos/bienamorkira
    www.bienamorkira.deviantart.com
    www.kirabienamor.tumblr.com

Junior Member LillianRed is a name known to all LillianRed is a name known to all LillianRed is a name known to all LillianRed is a name known to all LillianRed is a name known to all LillianRed is a name known to all LillianRed's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-19-2009 05:41 AM
    Threads

Default Depends

Definitely depends on the parents. My own are kind of close-minded, but I have a friend whose parents are just as much into anime/gaming/cons as she is. Her dad may actually be even more into it.

They regularly go as a family to every con they can get to, and have a blast. Cons are a hundred times better when you have someone to share it with. You can always make new friends while you are there, but having someone you will see after the con is over that you can share your experiences with is way fun.

Nanobyte's minion SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Luna Cake Lie Soras Keyblade
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2017 06:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1596-5790-7816-3407

Quote Originally Posted by lilminx View Post
    no, we're special people
    That's what my mommy says, but I think we're crazy.

Oh and good luck with the con. Maybe it won't be as embarrassing as you might think. Its not like they know its your mom. And they definitely won't notice anything if you both dress up. I see no prob at all.

Junior Member JapanAni has a reputation beyond repute JapanAni has a reputation beyond repute JapanAni has a reputation beyond repute JapanAni has a reputation beyond repute JapanAni has a reputation beyond repute JapanAni has a reputation beyond repute JapanAni has a reputation beyond repute JapanAni has a reputation beyond repute JapanAni has a reputation beyond repute JapanAni has a reputation beyond repute JapanAni has a reputation beyond repute JapanAni's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2010 02:50 PM
    Threads

well be sure to let you mom know it will be really exhausting for her because you'll be walking around a lot and seeing things. You both should wear comfortable walking shoes and bring water. It's easily to get dehydrated at cons. Do not beg your mother for money in the dealer's room. I see many underage minors bother their parents and piss them off to the point where they go home. So I hope it works out it won't be too embarrassing if your mom is cool with it and doesn't make a scene. I've seen many parents get upset with their kids if they are out late at certain hour.

Junior Member raven2424 has a spectacular aura about raven2424 has a spectacular aura about raven2424's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-30-2009 09:35 PM
    Threads

well if she goes it doesnt mean that she needs to stick by your side? maybe you can have some time to go exploring on your own and she can go for a coffee or take a break something like that might be cool with her and you?
    AlloutAnime.com - Earn stars and get free Anime & Gaming Gear!

Rising Falcon! Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Present Gurren Kamina Glasses
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-01-2017 11:40 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ErraticKyosuke

Oh sweet Raptor Jesus...my parents with me as I nerd out? I would rather eat nickels.
    I now know what hell sounds like; I recommend a tactical nuclear strike on my position. Tell my family I love them.

Yew Neek™ is #1 Lehvorak has a brilliant future Lehvorak has a brilliant future Lehvorak has a brilliant future Lehvorak has a brilliant future Lehvorak has a brilliant future Lehvorak has a brilliant future Lehvorak has a brilliant future Lehvorak has a brilliant future Lehvorak has a brilliant future Lehvorak has a brilliant future Lehvorak has a brilliant future Lehvorak's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-01-2010 12:35 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1547-6407-0804

I had no choice but to bring the whole family with me during a convention, but usually we all take our separate paths which is a good thing. Just make sure your mom doesn't get in your way when it comes to conventions.

Dango Dango Daikazoku!
    (^ ^) ---- (^ ^) ---- (^ ^)

Senior Member warla_woo has a reputation beyond repute warla_woo has a reputation beyond repute warla_woo has a reputation beyond repute warla_woo has a reputation beyond repute warla_woo has a reputation beyond repute warla_woo has a reputation beyond repute warla_woo has a reputation beyond repute warla_woo has a reputation beyond repute warla_woo has a reputation beyond repute warla_woo has a reputation beyond repute warla_woo has a reputation beyond repute warla_woo's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-05-2010 07:41 PM
    Threads

technically we are all geeks...we have a high interest in one thing, or obsessive for that matter! It also means crazy ^-^

~*Start looking around you
    and all you will see, are people the world would be better off without *~

Saved Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Gifts Telescope Baka Be Mine
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-21-2014 10:13 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Nah there's nothing wrong with it. Couple friends and I are heading to Anime Iowa this summer and their parents are coming with. Besides, if any trouble happens, your parents will more than likely take the blame

Sig by Feferi <3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
    -Mark Twain

Junior Member KarlDV is on a distinguished road KarlDV's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-28-2010 05:18 AM
    Threads

To each its own... I wouldn't take my mom with me to a Cosplay convention .. I would feel soo out of place.. I dunno maybe its just me

Blood is the currency of the soul and the silverplate of the will - Schrodinger!
    Cohiba Cigars

Member GaijinOtaku is infamous around these parts GaijinOtaku is infamous around these parts GaijinOtaku is infamous around these parts GaijinOtaku is infamous around these parts GaijinOtaku is infamous around these parts GaijinOtaku is infamous around these parts GaijinOtaku is infamous around these parts GaijinOtaku is infamous around these parts GaijinOtaku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-01-2010 09:10 PM
    Threads

I bring my dad to Sakura-Con every year for two reasons.

1. I'm under 18, so I need him to get me in
    2. He pays for the hotel

Closed Thread

Thread Information