AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Your thoughts on moe

Hybrid View

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default Your thoughts on moe

I'd like to see some general opinions on moe from the people of the forum. "What do you think of moe series?" "Do you like moe series, or do moe characters attract you more to a series?" Things of that sort, I guess.

Moe is a bit hard to define properly, as it means a lot of different things to different people, but very broadly it is more or less "cuteness". An example of a moe character would be something like Asahina from The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. I'll also be using the term "moe series", which is more or less a series fueled by moe(think K-ON!).

As for my own opinion:

I've been reading manga and watching anime for the better part of two decades, even before I could speak, and this is a growing "genre" (if you can call it that) that has really begun to explode in the last ~10 years, and even more particularly in the last 4-5.

My problem is not so much with the idea of the moe character within the typical manga or anime series, but with their growing prominence as a focus of manga and anime series. In my perception of things, I see less series with intricate, quality stories, and more of those which lack any sort of plot or development at all, or those whose purpose is displaying moe characters but wrap themselves in a thin veil they try to pass off as a plot.

K-ON! is an example of the series with no plot or development, which serves no purpose other than allowing the views to watch the moe antics of moe characters.

Strike Witches (which is more lolicon than moe, honestly) is an example of such a series, but thinly veiled with a "plot", though it is painfully obvious that the focus of the series is the panties of the protagonists.

To Aru Majustu no Index (light-novel aside, it had a very different feel from the anime) is another example of the second, where much of the focus seemed to fall on the females of the series, rather than the plot of the series...and this formula worked so well with the first manga series, that a manga spin-off series(To Aru Kagaku no Railgun) was made in 2007, and is now being animated.

The list of these sort of series goes on and on, and is only growing faster and faster.

I guess my complaint is that more and more of these series are being made, and less of "real" (I can't think of a better term at the moment) series, with distinct stories, or "real" points of focus (comedy, parody, history, etc.)...examples being series like Dragonball, One Piece, Berserk, Astro Boy, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Hajime no Ippo, GTO, etc...the sort of series that attracted me toward anime and manga as a child, rather than the aimless or episodic styles of American-made animation or comic books.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

I like moe it's my eye candy.

But yes, anime is getting ever dumbed-down, but we have to put up with it. That's just my take. There will always be gems in the dirt.

...so that you know where you can find me

Senior Member Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2010 10:15 PM
    Threads

I started watched my first proper moe title this week: Clannad. However, I made a huge mistake, in the same day I (for the first time) watched the final episode of Kino's Journey and the 9th episode of Clannad. In other words, I cried horribly TWICE in one day. Yeah, kinda felt depressed the rest of the day.

Still going to finish the rest of Clannad (and can't wait for the After Story DVDs to come out), it's really good so far, just the heavy emotional punch took me off-guard.

But I don't really feel "moe" towards any of them. Based on your description, K-ON wouldn't interest me (shame, I hoped it would be more like Beck), and you'd have to restrain me to force me to watch Strike Witches, yuck. And Mikuru was my least favorite character in Haruhi.

I think I'll stick with the Key shows, they seem interesting, and I like the mix of comedy, romance, and supernatural. I also enjoyed Shuffle somewhat despite the rather idiotic moments (spending a whole day on a simple task of CRACKING AN EGG?!!!), though I'm not sure if that's a moe title or not.
    My name is Kakashi Hatake. What I like....I don't feel like telling you that. My dreams for the future...hmm, never really thought about that. As for my hobbies...well, I have many hobbies.

Senior Member Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2011 05:06 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: dragofgravity

To answer your question, no moe characters don't draw me to the series. They prove somewhat of a comedic relief and sometimes improve the on the main character's and/or supporting character's image within the anime, to me.

Senior Member Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka has a reputation beyond repute Baka's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Pink Ribbon Neko Tv Hello Kitty
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-19-2013 07:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I like moe anime. I found K-On! to be quite entertaining in a comedic sense but you are right. There is hardly a plot.

Another series I like is Penguin Musume Heart. Once again. There isn't much of a plot,

(Sakura has a recurring rival, and Cha-chan is intent on marrying Etorufu)
    but I found it to be hilarious.

I would like it if future moe anime would have more of a story line. But as long as it is cute and funny, I will watch.

Bring me back!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by edward10 View Post
    I'm looking for episodes that have hungry girls with growling stomachs
    I lol'd at this

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'll sum it up with this: If there is a a girl in an anime where she is so stupid that she can't even notice the wings on her back get it the hell away from me. Shows like Kanon, Clannad, K-On, etc. with zero merit or watching value beyond "she's so cute" is garbage.

I'm amazed that people consider people like Ritsu "sexy". If there is ever going to be an anime character that's "sexy" it's Lum. Most of the time it's pedophilia. If it wasn't explain to me the throwpillows and scantily clad PVCs.

Closed Thread

Thread Information