AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: What is One Piece about?

Senior Member Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-13-2010 12:38 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default What is One Piece about?

Hey, I was thinking of checking this show out, so what exactly is it about? I remember watching like the first episode when it first aired, but never just got into it. I was thinking of giving it a real chance this time. Thanks!
    Last.FM!
    Hit me up with a F/R!

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-01-2014 11:30 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

One Piece takes place in the "Great Age of Pirates", 20 years after the death of the man known as the Pirate King, Gol D. Roger, pirates from all over the world seek his treasure, which he referred to as "One Piece", which lays somewhere at the end of a monstrous sea known as the Grand Line.

As it starts off, Monkey D. Luffy is just a boy who has eaten something called an Akuma no Mi (Devil's Fruit), which granted him a body of rubber (ie. he can stretch). One Piece is the epic tale of Luffy's journey, from it's very beginning, to finding a crew, to finding a ship, and all the adventures he and his crew have along the way of Luffy trying to accomplish his dream of obtaining One Piece and becoming the next Pirate King.

Now, don't take this merely as something simple. The world of One Piece is an expansive one, with a long history, and many mysterious which are constantly appear, disappearing, being solved, and getting deeper as the series goes on. There are many elements at play within the plot, and any one of them can shape the story, from the Marines and the World Government (and their massive heirarchy), to the Shichibukai (7 Warlords of the Sea), to the Void Century (a period of time before the World Government came into power, 400 years before the story of One Piece takes place), to all the strongest pirate crews in the world (the primary being Whitebeard, who with the swing of a sword split the sky and the ocean).

That being said, as complex as it is underneath it's surface, One Piece is comedic and simple, and embodies the excitment and wonder of "adventure" as a genre. Perhaps a main point to keep in mind is that it is not a battle manga (such as Naruto, Bleach, Dragonball Z, etc). While there certainly is fighting, it is by no means the focal point of the story. Perhaps the closest thing you could compare it to is the revolutionary adventure series Dragonball. The thrill and wonder of the world as Luffy experiences it always comes first.

I would suggest reading the manga instead of watching the anime, as 4kids, the initial American licensor of One Piece, did a number on the series. They changed it from something targetting toward teenagers and aimed it for young children. This included censoring and changing the story itself considerably, censoring and editing 144 episodes into 140 episodes. Honestly, it's just something you should really avoid.
    Last edited by Gjallarhorn; 07-08-2009 at 08:47 PM.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Senior Member Knave545 has a reputation beyond repute Knave545 has a reputation beyond repute Knave545 has a reputation beyond repute Knave545 has a reputation beyond repute Knave545 has a reputation beyond repute Knave545 has a reputation beyond repute Knave545 has a reputation beyond repute Knave545 has a reputation beyond repute Knave545 has a reputation beyond repute Knave545 has a reputation beyond repute Knave545 has a reputation beyond repute Knave545's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-02-2009 06:25 PM
    Threads

Not much to add since Gjallarhorn gave you a really detailed reply, but i don't agree with checking out the Manga instead of the Anime. It's true that 4kids messed up the show completely, but that's why subs are there, which are way better and worth checking out. After you catch up with the Anime, you should check out the Manga, but since One Piece barely has any fillers, then you could just wait a week and be surprised by plot twists, without reading the manga which will ruin that. I hope i helped.

Senior Member Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz has a reputation beyond repute Zeokoz's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Gjallarhorn View Post
    One Piece takes place in the "Great Age of Pirates", 20 years after the death of the man known as the Pirate King, Gol D. Roger, pirates from all over the world seek his treasure, which he referred to as "One Piece", which lays somewhere at the end of a monstrous sea known as the Grand Line.

As it starts off, Monkey D. Luffy is just a boy who has eaten something called an Akuma no Mi (Devil's Fruit), which granted him a body of rubber (ie. he can stretch). One Piece is the epic tale of Luffy's journey, from it's very beginning, to finding a crew, to finding a ship, and all the adventures he and his crew have along the way of Luffy trying to accomplish his dream of obtaining One Piece and becoming the next Pirate King.

Now, don't take this merely as something simple. The world of One Piece is an expansive one, with a long history, and many mysterious which are constantly appear, disappearing, being solved, and getting deeper as the series goes on. There are many elements at play within the plot, and any one of them can shape the story, from the Marines and the World Government (and their massive heirarchy), to the Shichibukai (7 Warlords of the Sea), to the Void Century (a period of time before the World Government came into power, 400 years before the story of One Piece takes place), to all the strongest pirate crews in the world (the primary being Whitebeard, who with the swing of a sword split the sky and the ocean).

That being said, as complex as it is underneath it's surface, One Piece is comedic and simple, and embodies the excitment and wonder of "adventure" as a genre. Perhaps a main point to keep in mind is that it is not a battle manga (such as Naruto, Bleach, Dragonball Z, etc). While there certainly is fighting, it is by no means the focal point of the story. Perhaps the closest thing you could compare it to is the revolutionary adventure series Dragonball. The thrill and wonder of the world as Luffy experiences it always comes first.

I would suggest reading the manga instead of watching the anime, as 4kids, the initial American licensor of One Piece, did a number on the series. They changed it from something targetting toward teenagers and aimed it for young children. This included censoring and changing the story itself considerably, censoring and editing 144 episodes into 140 episodes. Honestly, it's just something you should really avoid.
    Hmm, well, sounds really interesting and definitely worth checking out. I love pirates and that whole period of time so, an anime about it should be worth checking out. The whole idea of the Devil's Fruit sounds really neat too.
    Thanks!
    Last.FM!
    Hit me up with a F/R!

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-01-2014 11:30 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke0990 View Post
    Hmm, well, sounds really interesting and definitely worth checking out. I love pirates and that whole period of time so, an anime about it should be worth checking out. The whole idea of the Devil's Fruit sounds really neat too.
    Thanks!
    Well, it's not actually in a real "period of time". It's a fictional setting.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Gjallarhorn View Post
    Well, it's not actually in a real "period of time". It's a fictional setting.
    Yeah, hah, I know what you mean, I just like the idea of pirates and all that is what I was getting at. Sorry if it was confusing or somethin'.
    Last.FM!
    Hit me up with a F/R!

Closed Thread

Thread Information