AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What should I buy next?

Junior Member Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2009 02:59 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default What should I buy next?

Thinking of picking up some dvds in a few days. Which one of these should I buy first?

Rurouni Kenshin
    Outlaw Star
    Gurren Lagann
    Elfen Lied
    Ronin Warriors
    Basilisk
    Beck

I've watched Outlaw Star and Rurouni Kenshin before, so I know what those are about. The rest have been recommendations from people.

Any suggestions?

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

First of all thank you for deciding to buy anime.

I wouldn't buy:
    Elfen Lied: So pointless and violent, yet tries to be deep. Want deep, GitS Innocence.
    Basilisk: Bishounen men with teenage problems.

All the other ones seem to be great. Beck is worth it if you can track down the amp box set since that is the best version. Gurren Lagann is pricy, depending on whether you want the special edition.

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

If you tell us what kind of anime you are into most, it would help with suggestions. And, as Dio said, thank you for buying anime.

Without much info, I would say to buy Outlaw Star first. Though, I've never seen Beck, Basilisk, or Gurren Lagenn.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Senior Member Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2010 10:15 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Teeth View Post
    Outlaw Star
    Gurren Lagann
    Beck
    I'll repeat Hello, Mr. Diocletian's praise for choosing to buy the DVDs and support the industry. I wish more people were doing this.

Anyway, the ones I've seen, I'll say:

Outlaw Star: You've seen it, so on point in repeating what you already know. Can be found for $34 at DeepDiscount.com, $37.50 at RightStuf.com (or $30 whenever they have their "40% MSRP" Bandai sale, should be in next two months), and most retail stores should carry it for $40 or less. So good price, even for one you've already viewed.

Gurren Lagann: A great, fun-filled adventure that slowly gets more serious as the story advances. Simon and Kamina are two boys living in an underground village who dream of one day reaching the surface. One day, a girl named Yoko arrives along with a dangerous mecha known as a Gunmen. Simon finds his own mecha Lagann, and the three of them head for the surface, without realizing the dangers lying up above (I'll stop there to avoid major spoilers).

Buying this is tricky. If you want a sub-only release, then you can buy three sub-only DVDs (9 episodes each) that collect the entire series. These three DVDs are $54 in total at DeepDiscount, $68.50 in total at RightStuf ($54 during a Bandai sale), and around $60 in total at most retail stores.

If you want the dub as well, then a dub/sub release has been done in 3 two-DVD sets (9 episodes on each two DVDs). All 3 sets have Limited Edition versions as well. All prices below are either DeepDiscount or RightStuf (not sure about retail's pricing).

Gurren Lagann Part 1: LE version contains an artbox (great-looking) and a toy core drill (Simon uses one to power-up Lagann). Regular edition costs $27-$30, while the LE costs $37-45
    Gurren Lagann Part 2: LE version contains a Gurren Lagann-style backpack (so-so, I mainly bought it because I prefer owning all LEs for a series rather than just some of them). Regular edition costs $27-30, while the LE costs $30-34
    Gurren Lagann Part 3: LE version contains the soundtrack (terrific soundtrack, definitely worth hearing) and the first manga volume (the anime eventually got a manga series, that adapted the story into 6 volumes). Regular edition costs $28-30, while the LE costs $32-33

A complete boxset will probably come out in late 2010, or 2011.

Beck: Excellent series, Koyuki is just your average teenager with no major dreams in life, until he meets Ryusuke, a highly talented guitarist who inspires Koyuki to learn the guitar. Together, along with their friends, they form the band "Beck", but many obstacles will lie in their path as they aim to wow the music world like never before.

If you want the series in singles, RightStuf has the artbox/Vol. 1 (the artbox is designed to look like a miniature "amp") for $13 and Vol. 2-4 and 6 for $6 each (Vol. 5, you can probably find at Amazon or somewhere else). The boxset has two versions: the first boxset is $41 at DeepDiscount and $33 at RightStuf. The second boxset is $29 at DeepDiscount and $37.50 at RightStuf. Not really any different, though I think the first set has a much better cover if that matters to you.

Hope that helps!
    My name is Kakashi Hatake. What I like....I don't feel like telling you that. My dreams for the future...hmm, never really thought about that. As for my hobbies...well, I have many hobbies.

Member Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-15-2009 12:58 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: Need to check

Elfen Lied is probably one of the best anime out there, so if I were you I would go with that.. but it really depends on what you are into. I like psychologically and philosophically deep and engaging stories that dwell into human emotion and whatnot. "Hello, Mr. Diocletian" clearly did not get anything from the series, he believes it's about the gore... Maybe it's his age or his way of thinking. But myself, I saw Elfen Lied as an amazing anime, and I don't specially like gore. The scenario that Elfen Lied provides is a really interesting one, and the way that it sets it up and goes through with it is quite good and shows that the creator put a lot of thought and observations to it. Saying that it tries to be deep is a lame comment, you didn't get anything from it, fine. But most people that watch it think otherwise. Then again though, it's aimed at a more mature audience, and people either love it or hate it.

Just as background, my favorite anime are Evangelion, Elfen Lied, Clannad, and Cowboy Bebop. If you like the same kind of anime with interesting philosophical scenarios, I recommend Infinite Ryvius, Evangelion, Kino no Tabi (Depending on the episode), Code Geass (mostly the idea behind it), Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and maybe a few episodes of Death Note.

The only other one of those I've watched was basilisk, which although good, isn't worth being one of your first buys. It focuses a lot on action, and is not necessarily action-packed. It's really well done, but meh.
    Last edited by Ipsilon V; 06-23-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Elfen Lied is not deep. I've heard people say it talks about alienation, being ostracized, but it's just sprinkled on like sugar on a diabetic doughnut. The dog murder scene is considered (and I agree with this), a simple shock effect used to make people stand in awe. I saw it at first, and tried to take it into consideration, the simple fact is it's just littered with fan-service that tried to distract you from the all the crap that was flying around. The characters are the only part that stood out to me.

If you really want deep that doesn't just sprinkle thought, try Serial Experiments Lain, or Pale Cacoon. They will leave you in a state of thought.

Senior Member kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-09-2011 03:26 AM
    Threads

rurouni kenshin first then outlaw star

Junior Member Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth has a reputation beyond repute Damian Teeth's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

What, is it not common for people to buy anime? I highly prefer to buy box sets over downloading them. It's just not the same and makes me feel cheap.

Wow! You guys helped out a whole lot. I'll be double checking for prices and all, though Gurren Langen is probably gonna be first up to buy. Just talked to some other cats and they've highly praised it. Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, Beck will be some of the next stuff I get. Not really looking into buying the special edition sets, as long as it's a set I can afford.

All this debate over Elfen Lied makes me want to watch it. Everyone's opinions differ and no thinks alike. What's good to some might be awful to hear others. Makes for an interesting watch I think, gotta look up for both reasons to why, and why not it's good. I'll probably pick it up to make my decision.

To give some background here I'll tell what anime I've enjoyed over the years. I wouldn't call myself a big anime fan, just getting into it.

Trigun
    Berserk
    Vampire Hunter D
    Great Teacher Onizuka
    Yu Yu Hakusho
    Guyver

Usually I'm a dude all about post apocalyptic worlds. Feudal era with samurais are also tops in my book.

I don't know if that helps out at all, but thanks a lot for the input.

[noblesse.oblige] Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-29-2010 08:51 PM
    Threads

Outlaw Star was one of my first animes and I really enjoyed it. I also liked Elfen Lied very much but if I had to pick between the two its Outlaw Star hands down.

Jumonji Baka Kawaii IV
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2009 09:27 AM
    Threads

Wow! You guys helped out a whole lot. I'll be double checking for prices and all, though Gurren Langen is probably gonna be first up to buy. Just talked to some other cats and they've highly praised it. Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, Beck will be some of the next stuff I get. Not really looking into buying the special edition sets, as long as it's a set I can afford.

[...]

Trigun
    Berserk
    Vampire Hunter D
    Great Teacher Onizuka
    Yu Yu Hakusho
    Guyver

Usually I'm a dude all about post apocalyptic worlds. Feudal era with samurais are also tops in my book.
    Haha, very similar to my tastes.

I highly, highly recommend Gurren Lagann -points to signature-. It's hilarious and great for everyone. It has almost everything. I'm not surprised people recommended it to you. I'd be really surprised if you didn't like it. It's kind of like Trigun, but with mecha and even more humor.

Of course, I really recommend BECK. Technically, it's not related to your tastes, but it's nevertheless an astounding series. Again, it really wouldn't be a waste of money.

I personally like Basilisk, but I'm pretty sure it's not what you would be into.

Judging by your interests, I would recommend Gurren Lagann the most. It's an investment, but not one you would regret.

深く根ざした||傷は消えない
    Hide it, Hide it, Hide me

Member Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V is infamous around these parts Ipsilon V's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

@Hello, Mr. Diocletian
    I'm sorry I even bothered. You clearly have a mind that surpasses mine, given that you are able to dismiss, on your own, an entire show as being shallow.

On a serious note, please grow up. Understand that what you find deep, other people might not necessarily find deep, and vice versa. Talking **** about a show when someone is asking you to recommend him something is lame. I will not try to prove my intelligence to someone online, but it should be enough that anyone found it interessing for you to respect it. Please respect other people, no matter how inferior in analytical abilities and overall brain capabilities they are.

I'm sorry I had to do this, but kids like this piss me off. Please learn a little about life before talking like you are Sigmond Freud or Descartes.

Jumonji Baka Kawaii IV
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2009 09:27 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ipsilon V View Post
    @Hello, Mr. Diocletian
    I'm sorry I even bothered. You clearly have a mind that surpasses mine, given that you are able to dismiss, on your own, an entire show as being shallow.

On a serious note, please grow up. Understand that what you find deep, other people might not necessarily find deep, and vice versa. Talking **** about a show when someone is asking you to recommend him something is lame. I will not try to prove my intelligence to someone online, but it should be enough that anyone found it interessing for you to respect it. Please respect other people, no matter how inferior in analytical abilities and overall brain capabilities they are.

I'm sorry I had to do this, but kids like this piss me off. Please learn a little about life before talking like you are Sigmond Freud or Descartes.
    I'm not Dio, but I'm offended by this. You're only four years older than him. In fact, you're not even 21. What makes you so special? Stay around AF for a little longer and you'll see how smart our "kids" are. And by the way, don't shove words in peoples' mouths. Generally, they don't like that. Dio has not started spitting out Freudian quotes or questioned the morals in Elfen Lied.

He's not asking you to prove your intelligence to anyone. Nor is he challenging your intelligence. He's disagreeing with you. He is try to convince the OP to not spend his money on the series, because he didn't like it. You're trying to convince the OP to buy it, because you like it. The OP asked for recommendations, so naturally there are going to be some conflicting ideas. The OP did not ask for everyone to recommend the same thing. If he did, then he would probably be stuck in the exact place where he started. Don't get so defensive when someone disagrees with you.

You're turning this into a whole ordeal, as if someone threatened you intelligence. Believe it or not, people under 18 have minds of their own and can use big words. He did not disrespect you. Just because someone didn't like the concept of one series doesn't mean that they didn't understand it or that they disrespect it. You should grow up and recognize different opinions. It's what makes our world so rich with diversity.

Anyway, I do actually want to recommend Cowboy Bebop to the OP as well. If you like Trigun and Outlaw Star, I highly recommend picking up this series. That is, if you don't already own it XD!

深く根ざした||傷は消えない
    Hide it, Hide it, Hide me

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

Dio: +1
    Ipsilon: 0
    Pengin-san: + over 9000

Sorry, I'll stop spamming now.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Pengin-san View Post

He's not asking you to prove your intelligence to anyone. Nor is he challenging your intelligence. He's disagreeing with you. He is try to convince the OP to not spend his money on the series, because he didn't like it. You're trying to convince the OP to buy it, because you like it. The OP asked for recommendations, so naturally there are going to be some conflicting ideas. The OP did not ask for everyone to recommend the same thing. If he did, then he would probably be stuck in the exact place where he started. Don't get so defensive when someone disagrees with you.

Anyway, I do actually want to recommend Cowboy Bebop to the OP as well. If you like Trigun and Outlaw Star, I highly recommend picking up this series. That is, if you don't already own it XD!

Seriously, let's not argue because some of us don't see eye to eye about a show. It's OK to have a different opinion, it's good to voice your opinions but don't let it get heated and out of hand.

Anyways back to the topic. Don't worry Pengin-San! I'm already into Cowboy Bebop, Along with Samuri Champloo. I didn't put it them in the list, for they are already great! And honestly who doesn't like Cowboy Bebop??

Will definatly be getting Gurran Lengann, seems to be tops.

Three Nil Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts Bleach Ichigo Mask Soras Keyblade Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 04:38 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

kenshin is awesome but so is guren ragan,basilisk is ok to me...i would have to say...gurren lagann

"Dark light come shine in her lost heart tonight
    And blind all fears that haunt her with your smile
    Dark light"-HIM

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I'm the first one that believes that old doesn't make you wiser. But I also believe that what he said is immature, regardless of how old he really is. I never looked at how old he was, because it made no difference. And I'm sorry I didn't read your whole post because I didn't really care for it and it was written in a really annoying color. If you feel offended, then start your post in a different manner. He is a kid because he doesn't understand that people have different opinions, etc, etc. Not because he was 15. At 15 I would not have made such a lame comment as he did. And I don't care if I'm not 21... I don't know how that changes anything. Oh wait.. I can drink alcohol in the U.S at 21... :S.

Seriously though... I'm surprised by the fact that I got such an answer, I don't really wanna lecture anymore though. Just try to analyze the situation a little better and come up with a better response.

@Buruku
    But I guess it's 1 - 0 in favor of you. It was a match of sorts, and I didn't realize. Sorry, I'm kinda slow in those kind of games. <- A case where you see another kid.. and this one is 21!

And btw, I've been in other forums with people that are 13 and 15, and they made much more mature comments than the ones here. It's not a matter of biological age...

@Damian Teeth
    That's exactly my point, everyone is entitled to an opinion. What he did wasn't just vocalizing an opinion, he just insulted the show. I don't care if you don't like it or don't get anything out of it, but don't post if you have nothing constructive to say other than a really subjective comment that you state as a fact.
    Last edited by Ipsilon V; 06-24-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ipsilon V View Post
    I'm the first one that believes that old doesn't make you wiser. But I also believe that what he said is immature, regardless of how old he really is. I never looked at how old he was, because it made no difference. And I'm sorry I didn't read your whole post because I didn't really care for it and it was written in a really annoying color. If you feel offended, then start your post in a different manner. He is a kid because he doesn't understand that people have different opinions, etc, etc. Not because he was 15. At 15 I would not have made such a lame comment as he did. And I don't care if I'm not 21... I don't know how that changes anything. Oh wait.. I can drink alcohol in the U.S at 21... :S.

Seriously though... I'm surprised by the fact that I got such an answer, I don't really wanna lecture anymore though. Just try to analyze the situation a little better and come up with a better response.

@Buruku
    But I guess it's 1 - 0 in favor of you. It was a match of sorts, and I didn't realize. Sorry, I'm kinda slow in those kind of games. <- A case where you see another kid.. and this one is 21!

And btw, I've been in other forums with people that are 13 and 15, and they made much more mature comments than the ones here. It's not a matter of biological age...

@Damian Teeth
    That's exactly my point, everyone is entitled to an opinion. What he did wasn't just vocalizing an opinion, he just insulted the show. I don't care if you don't like it or don't get anything out of it, but don't post if you have nothing constructive to say other than a really subjective comment that you state as a fact.

Note: I've been reviewing anime since I was a 12. Give me some credit. Maybe if you didn't dismiss me in such a manner, I would have sided with you.

To wit: "I've been around and now some stuff about meaning and crap"

OT: I really want to recommend you something you may like. These are some of my personal favorites that I'm sure you'll like.

Megazone 23
    Irresponsible Captain Taylor
    Human Crossing
    Girugamesh
    Last edited by Diocletian; 06-24-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

It's not a matter of giving credit or not. I'm not saying you are a worthless reviewer. But you can't dismiss anime like that just because you didn't find it interesting. Saying that it's not deep as if it was a fact, is wrong because how "deep" an anime is, is subjective. As i said, what you find deep, I might not find deep and viceversa. People respond differently to stories last time I checked.

And maybe I find Elfen Lied deep because I deduce a lot of things about the characters that are not necessarily implied in the anime, therefore giving them a lot of depth and whatnot. If that's the case (which I'm not saying it is), it's still not right to say the anime is "pointless".

As a side note: there are two issues with age right here. The first being the fact that you don't understand the basic fact that people find deepness in different things depending on how their mind works. This has nothing to do with biological age, it has to do with your maturity. The second is that it is clear that age is a big factor in what you find deep, and that does have to do with biological age (although not a determinate one). Right now I like different thngs than I did a couple of years ago, if only for the fact that I think differently about many things because of my experiences in life and the things I've learned in school and in college.

@Damian Teeth
    Well, if you get Gurran Lengann, talk about it here. I am very hesitant about that series from what I've seen and heard about it. Specially since I'm not too much into mechas.
    Last edited by Ipsilon V; 06-24-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Senior Member Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-17-2011 06:55 AM
    Threads

For post-apocalyptic, I'd suggest Desert Punk, watched it last summer & enjoyed it a lot. As far as feudal era/samurai, maybe Samurai Deeper Kyo, though I found the manga to be better, or Samurai Champloo? I've not seen all of Champloo, but I did like what I've seen & I've heard great things from people I've come to trust when it comes to tastes in anime.

Anyway, that's just my . Whatever you choose, enjoy it. ^^
    Last edited by Zombie Panda; 06-24-2009 at 11:45 PM.
    Just remember, when life gives you lemons make chocolate milk & force the rest of the world to wonder how the hell you did it.

That was pretty cool. I should always chuck a bifurcated corpse in front of me when I need to make an entrance.

Senior Member Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pokedex 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2012 01:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'd go with Outlaw Star because it's interesting to say the least. Also because it's been around long enough so you'd get it real cheep. It's also the one on your list anyway, that has they best plot. As far as I've seen.
    Gero Server Guru

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Panda View Post
    For post-apocalyptic, I'd suggest Desert Punk, watched it last summer & enjoyed it a lot. As far as feudal era/samurai, maybe Samurai Deeper Kyo, though I found the manga to be better, or Samurai Champloo? I've not seen all of Champloo, but I did like what I've seen & I've heard great things from people I've come to trust when it comes to tastes in anime.

Anyway, that's just my . Whatever you choose, enjoy it. ^^
    I saw Desert Punk at best buy a while ago, it looked interesting. Care to fill in me in a bit more?

Senior Member Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda has a reputation beyond repute Zombie Panda's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-17-2011 06:55 AM
    Threads

Well, it appears as though a nuclear catastrophe has pretty much made earth a desert wasteland. In comes Kanta Mizuno, aka 'Desert Punk' or 'Demon of the Sand', a bounty hunter w/ a perfect record & a lecherous nature almost as legendary as his name (though, his legend comes from some very stringent self-advertising wherever he goes).

Opposite him, because every story needs an antagonist, is Junko Asagiri, a female bounty hunter who uses her... *cough*assets*cough*...to try & get ahead of the situation, especially where her rival, the Desert Punk, is concerned.

Along his journey, he must learn to deal with the the harsh desert climate, idiot outlaws, and his utter weakness for the fairer sex!

(thank you, Wikipedia & Anime Planet, for some of the specifics. Like I said, it's been about a year. )
    Last edited by Zombie Panda; 06-26-2009 at 09:26 PM.
    Just remember, when life gives you lemons make chocolate milk & force the rest of the world to wonder how the hell you did it.

That was pretty cool. I should always chuck a bifurcated corpse in front of me when I need to make an entrance.

Cherubim Delight 4 All Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-10-2010 11:49 PM
    Threads

Thinking of picking up some dvds in a few days. Which one of these should I buy first?

Rurouni Kenshin
    Outlaw Star
    Gurren Lagann
    Elfen Lied
    Ronin Warriors
    Basilisk
    Beck

I've watched Outlaw Star and Rurouni Kenshin before, so I know what those are about. The rest have been recommendations from people.

Any suggestions?
    Gurren Lagann. Outlaw Star or Kenshin would be my second choice.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I'll second Dio's motion that Elfen Lied is shallow. I'll also thrown in that it's childish, overrated, and callow. It, in similar ways to the Fullmetal Alchemist anime, triest too hard to be deep, and it fails magnificently. It's held down by some of the more annoying anime cliches, not the mention the gratuitous gore which only stands as proof that it tries too hard. It's one of the few anime I truly regret watching, and of the absurd number of the anime and manga I've read over the passed 18 years, I would rank it as being one of the absolute worst I have seen or read.

Gurren Lagann is one of my favorite anime to date. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, and it is absolutely ridiculous in terms of actual events and power standings. It intentionally fills it self all the usual mecha and shounen tropes, and takes them to their extremes, in some cases really redefining some archetypes. The animation quality is fantastic (sans episode 4, guest director killed it, fans hated it, Tamaki Akai said things he should have, and had to step down from his position-up-high in GAINAX).

Outlaw Star is an okay series, but I have one major problem with it: It practically turns into a sitcom, with Gene & Co waiting around there hometown trying to get money, and all the baddies coming to them, and then in the last 2 episodes, it turns into the crazy magical space adventure that the opening promses it would be. Basically, the story is too convoluted. It's not really bad, but I think it lost a lot of potential. Nevertheless, it is still very entertaining.

Ronin Warriors is a very good series, though I've always felt it had a weak beginning. It's really what you'd expect out of an 80s anime series of it's type, though. Regular guys, episodic baddies so the heros can get individual focus and lvl-up, and henshin sequences. I re-watched it last year for the first time since I was a kid, and it was a bit of a breath of fresh air amongst other things I was watching at the time.

Never actually seen Basilisk. Tried the manga, but I just could get into it.

BECK is a great series, though I feel that it really leaves you hanging at the end..though this is sort of obvious, as it only covers the first 12 or so volumes of the manga(out of 34). I still have qualms about watching it in english because they re-did the music, and they'll never be able to justify changing the music of 10-FEET, Typhoon24, Tropical Gorilla, or the Beat Crusaders. Not to mention they changed Kazuya Hirabayashi's vocals....bastards... At any rate, even cut short it's a great, fun story, and is undoubtedly the best music-centric anime out there.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I would argue the same point again, but it's pointless. And I can't really take you seriously when your favorite anime is Gurren lagan. But it doesn't really matter anymore, it seems that people fail to grasp the concept that everyone has different ways of thinking. And I haven't had any good conversations at all in this forum, which is kinda lame. So I think I'm just gonna leave. Specially since arguing in this forum brings your rep down :O (not that I care). Sorry I couldn't agree with such a close-minded way of thinking, I just have my belief that people's brains are wired differently and therefore respond differently. I won't bother you guys any longer . Now to enjoy my vacation in singapore!

Oh, and I don't like being censored in the words I use... I should watch my own languange, it's a tad annoying, no biggie though.

Peace.
    Last edited by Ipsilon V; 07-01-2009 at 04:12 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information