I just thought I'd post this in the misc. forums to remind every one not to visit fishy sites and not to download faulty downloads.

You see, I googled a query and in the list of results was a site(name will not be posted because some are stupid enough to visit it)that had what I was looking for.
So I, swayed by the site's smooth words and confident attitude,

Take a look at the diagnostic page for said site:

What is the current listing status for ******-*com?
This site is currently listed as suspicious.
Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 37 time(s) over the past 90 days.
What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 882 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 87 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent.
Malicious software includes 86 trojan(s), 44 scripting exploit(s), 44 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 3 new process(es) on the target machine.
Malicious software is hosted on 26 domain(s), including CENSORED.
1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including CENSORED.
This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS28677 (AMEN).

One of the 'new' running processes installed on my machine was cha0se.exe...

So I got really upset(I didn't have antivirus)and went to download avg free.

I clicked on a fake avg site and almost downloaded a bunch of stub files. It was funny when ZoneAlarm stated "stubs.exe is trying to access the Internet."

So I uninstalled it and downloaded the real AVG. But then I lost Internet connectivity for about 20 min.

So I got so mad I reinstalled my OS.
But then I installed it on the wrong partition..

So, I reinstalled it again...

So, yeah, remember to always look at the URL before clicking on a site , or pull up a diagnostic page for those websites that seem a bit fishy too you.

I never thought I'd need antivirus because I thought I could rely on my intelligence to tell if a site/download is bad or good.

I guess in an internet populated by scriptkiddies and wannabes is a dangerous place.
A dangerous place which needs the protection of an antivirus.
And common sense.
And patience.
And anger control.

So yeah, think twice before downloading.
And clicking on links.

You're welcome.