AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Another Martial Arts thread - sort of.

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Another Martial Arts thread - sort of.

I was watching Bleach last night, which is nothing new for me. This idea of spiritual power they have is exaggerated, but I think such a thing may exist, in a roundabout way.

I'm thinking back to my TKD classes. Part of the advancement tests involved the breaking of boards by some prescribed method.

It was difficult. It was intimidating. And it took several attempts. That was the first time. It got easier, until I had to do a reverse hook kick, and could not see the target.

Anyway, I'm not saying I have insane "spiritual pressure" or anything. The first two boards didn't take a lot of strength, they were front and side kicks. The reverse hook kick almost hamstrung me. I missed. I hit it without enough force to break it, much less keep my balance. I almost kicked the instructor. [this kick requires a spin before the actual kick takes place, striking with the heel.]

I remember to this day, how it felt when I focused my entire being on that piece of wood. I spun faster than I had ever done before, it was as if my foot wasn't touching the flloor. I smashed my heel into that board with more force than I'd ever created before, and one of the pieces went flying across the room. When I landed, it was in a perfect stance.

That wasn't earth shattering might, but it was more strength and coordination than I'd ever had before. It was like the world dropped away from me and went silent, and the only thing that existed was me and the wood. I didn't see, feel, hear, or breathe. Well, obviously I saw, but I didn't see anything but the target. The world was a blur of white [walls] and grey [carpet]. It was exhilarating, knowing I could lose myself that way, and generate such force.

I got into that "zone" a few times when I was sparring with a stronger and more skilled opponent. I rarely strike to hurt the other student when I spar, but this guy was hurting me and I got angry. I hammered him as hard as I could, and I didn't feel any of his kicks until the adrenaline had faded.

It was beautiful.

It's really got nothing to do with Bleach, but that's what made me think of it - Ichigo can focus his will to create tremendous power. I did, too. Well, minus Zangetsu and waves of pure energy blowing the world apart.

Thoughts? Ever been there?

Cowboy Psychologist Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2013 12:07 AM
    Threads

Yup. It's a good place to be, too, until it fades and you realize how beat up you got in the process. Funny thing is, when that adrenaline starts pumping, you stop trying to dodge so much and you become good friends with the Whirlpool. For controlled environments, I'd say it represents the pinnacle of concentration. Remember that American female diver who didn't practice once due to an injury, but just stood at the end of the platform and visualized her dive? Placed first or second or something like that? Amazing.

Outside of competitive environments like that, though, I'd say that kind of tunnel vision is more likely to be harmful than helpful...

Bad Memory

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

hehe yeah, I got pounded. I had bruises from not protecting my core, and I had a bloody nose. In my mind, I won though, because I hit him hard enough to knock him down, and then was able to knock his headgear off when he came at me again.

I hope I never have to fight anyone to survive, but with my job it could happen. Tunnel vision will kill me if there are multiple attackers, not to mention if I have to shoot, I need to be aware of what's behind the target. If I were a praying man, I'd pray that I never have to draw my gun. If it comes to that, I'll have a vest on, and only one bag to lose because the truck will take off. I'd rather let them try to get away with someone else's money than shoot them, even though they would be trash. I'm worried about the tunnel vision, though. When I scored perfect on my shooting qualification, it happened. The world was the silhouette, and I barely felt the recoil. It was a 9mm, so there wasn't much to begin with, but still...

I'm excited about the prospect of studying TKD again. I wish I could fast forward a month...

Cherubim Delight 4 All Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-10-2010 11:49 PM
    Threads

I'm wondering if you're talking about the feeling of "ki/chi." I believe I've experienced the same feeling you speak of when I used to take Muay Thai. One time was when I was practicing my roundhouse on a bag and my trainer kept making me kick 50x over and over again because I still hadn't lost the nerves in my legs. I got so frustrated that on the last set I just focused all my anger and thoughts on the bag with the intent of splitting it in half. My foot/shin were already turning purple/green but all my anger and feeling exploded onto the bag instead and my trainer was very pleased. But then I almost threw up after.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I didn't get sick, but that sounds about right. We're on the same page, even if it feels a bit different.

I so want to experience that again.

Cowboy Psychologist Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2013 12:07 AM
    Threads

Nausea is pretty common after that sort of thing. I'm no doc, but if I had to hazard a guess why, I'd say it probably has something to do with that magic cocktail flowing through your body when you get that adrenaline dump. Happens to folks in all walks of life who do exciting things.

Quote Originally Posted by revile View Post
    I'm worried about the tunnel vision, though. When I scored perfect on my shooting qualification, it happened. The world was the silhouette, and I barely felt the recoil. It was a 9mm, so there wasn't much to begin with, but still...
    I strongly suggest a few practical shooting classes to help break that habit. They're not really cheap (think $200-$300 tuition on average, plus 600-1200 rounds, usually over 2-3 days), but they'll probably teach you something enough to save your life. You're in Texas, so there's a good number of folks out there who are thought of highly among professional instructors. It's good that you recognize that fighting for your life and fighting for sport are two different mindsets. Now do something about it. If you're sly, do it on the company's dime.

Bad Memory

[noblesse.oblige] Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa has a reputation beyond repute Takizawa's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-29-2010 08:51 PM
    Threads

I play competitive volleyball and the same happens to me whenever I go up for a hit. As soon as my feet leave the ground, those few seconds in the air turn into the most slow motion moment ever. At the peak of my height and in that slow motion state, it allows me to analyze the blocker and the rest of the opponents on the court, allowing me to hit into the exact spot i want to by adjusting to the blockers and other players. Now I'm not saying this happens everytime, but whenever it does I get a kill (a hit untouched straight to the ground) and whenever it does it takes me a few seconds to recover because I always try to replay what just happened in my head.

Senior Member Atsui Sake has a reputation beyond repute Atsui Sake has a reputation beyond repute Atsui Sake has a reputation beyond repute Atsui Sake has a reputation beyond repute Atsui Sake has a reputation beyond repute Atsui Sake has a reputation beyond repute Atsui Sake has a reputation beyond repute Atsui Sake has a reputation beyond repute Atsui Sake has a reputation beyond repute Atsui Sake has a reputation beyond repute Atsui Sake has a reputation beyond repute Atsui Sake's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2010 07:28 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I wish I could take Tae Kwon Do. Being able to do some of the awesome kicks they do would be fun.

As for the whole "spiritual energy" type thing, I do believe that such a thing exists. Of course, it's not one of those things where you can easily control it, nor is it something that has godlike power. Though I do believe that if you are in touch with your spirit, it becomes easier to control that energy that it puts out.

^My piece of mediocrity

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi has a reputation beyond repute rikumi's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-08-2013 03:29 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: tentaclesnyunyu

Well I was in an adolescents' gang, and currently Karate 三段...I mean, black 3rd. When I first joined the gang, I kicked arse. But when it came to the 4th month, things weren't very cool and I broke a member's jaw, and he was admitted into the hospital for a week.

I forgot how I did that, but I remembered once the switch on my mind was on, I'd hit the vital spot without any misses. Usually in jiyu kumite I'd do that also. It's pretty intimidating...I'd have to admit, since I'm not easily provoked and I don't strike others out of anger. And, I don't have a strict or scary appearance either. Sometimes it just happens, and when it does, I take no control over my body. My mind would go blank and I'd only see my target.

I left the gang because of the 'jaw incident', and because I was female. The victim was a male, and I considered his pride. Well, ought to, since I practiced martial arts and he didn't.
    Last edited by rikumi; 06-16-2009 at 02:55 AM.

If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate.
    =Randomness is my Forte.=
    Procrastination.
    Tentacles.
    (gasp)

【Twitter】
    【Hear My Voice】
    Singer-songwriter / Artist / Cosplayer / Animation Student

Closed Thread

Thread Information