SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
------------------------------------------------
Character deaths aren't uncommon occurrences in the world of anime, many times have we seen our loved (and hated) characters meet their final demise. While such events (not all) have caught many people off-guard these events also managed to beef-up or affect the story one way or another. Though not new to such occurrences i've decided to post a thread about the most memorable deaths we, the AF people, have seen. Let us mention these momentous deaths and hopefully spawn related discussions in the process.

Please let us make our posts more meaty and informative by stating reasons or add-ons. Let me start with these few entries:

The death of Condor Joe (Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman) - The brooding loner of the Kagaku Ninjatai, Condor Joe, met his demise after being diagnosed of having a fatal head injury caused by shrapnel fragments. This death would go on being referenced by the largely Gatchaman-influenced Super Sentai show, Chojin Sentai Jetman.

Goku's first death (DBZ) - I guess there's no need for me to mention how and why it happened. I was very young (8 or 9 during the early-mid 90s) when i first saw how it happened and thought it was a sad moment. I thought it's gonna be Gohan era afterwards, but hey, i soon realized that dying ain't much of a problem for those DBZ folks. Goku dying and living again for the second time were both "meh..." moments for me though.

Maes Hughes is killed by Envy (FMA) - One of FMA's nice guys, Maes Hughes is killed by Envy who is then disguised as his wife. Though the death scene itself might prove moving for some people, it doesn't even compare to the corresponding funeral scene.

Roy Focker's badass death in "Pineapple Salad" (Macross) - Mortally wounded after defending Macross, Roy Focker chose to go to his girl Claudia rather than going to the hospital. This fact alone is one reason that I should've mentioned him in B Gundam's GAR thread.

The death of the universe (The Ideon: Be Invoked) - This is arguably the most notorious and memorable death in anime in terms of kill count, gruesomeness, and sheer unexpectedness. It doesn't only feature the death of the main characters but also the death of the universe itself.