My first thread on a review. Hope it goes well.

Kodomo no Omocha
Episodes: 102
By TV Tokyo (1996)
Genre: Romance/Comedy/Drama
US Distribution: Funimation (2006)

Plot Synopsis:

Sana Karuta is an energetic 11-year old TV star. From commercials to movies, she's making a fortune along with her "mother," who is the author of numerous bestsellers. Unfortunately, she gets bugged by the boys at her elementary school, especially her initial arch-nemesis Akito Hayama, who appears rather heartless and silent at first. Her "boyfriend" and manager Rei Sagami helps her along the way, although she discovers many secrets to his life as well as her own and Akito's, some of them relieving, some of them rather nasty. In the later parts of the first season, she meets a wide array of different characters, such as another child star Naozumi Kamura, who competes for her attention and love (against Akito), and Fuka Matsui, her best friend in 6th grade (second season).

Story: 8.0/10

It was great, well at least for the first season. Many interesting plot twists and surprises that wanted to keep me watching. It isn't short by anyone's definition of "short," but I felt it was a reasonable length. Sana and Akito both improve their characters as the story goes on, so that's certainly a plus.

As for the negatives, I felt the second season really fell out of my taste near the end. The plot wasn't exactly intruiging, and I didn't feel like if the anime ended right there at episode 90, I would want the producers to get back on their feet to make more episodes.

Characters: 9.5/10

Funny, despicable, nervous, perverse, surprised, apathetic. You name it. Characters in this storyline are rather malleable and change quickly, and I like that because it's different from most other animes, which keep characters rather stiff in their roles as the story moves on. Sana may be the hero in one episode, and Akito could be the hero in another.

Character contrast seems to be the appropriate word. Sana is, on one hand, belligerent at her enemies, but once she makes up with them, she turns friendly in a blink of an eye. Akito was the silent, lonely character until he had a rather quick change of heart.

People having boyfriends/girlfriends and swapping them around is also fun to watch.

Artwork and animation: 7/10

Nothing really special about the artwork, although you have to remember it was made in 1996. I really, however, loved the "Babbit" interludes where he pops off. See a few episodes and you'll see what I mean.

Music and Voice Acting: 10/10

Seriously, this was the best part. See the series in English, because their voices mirror their moods and characters. Akito sounds pissed whenever someone annoys him too much, and sounds serene when he's in a good mood. Sana includes her silly voice whenever she screws up or makes a mistake. It greatly contributed to the lax atmosphere of this anime.

Overall: 8/10

What's really hindering me from giving it my complete, unrestrained recommendation is the second season. The episodes diverge from the first season's originality by quite a bit, and make it seem mildly interesting at best, trite at worst. However, this anime is by no means mediocre, and it is a great pause from the "hustle and bustle" of action anime. It never gets too cheesy, so you won't ever have to worry about that, if the word "romance" keeps you away.