AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: A sad day friends.

Thane of Mimics ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-07-2011 07:22 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default A sad day friends.

Dave Arneson

October 1, 1947 - April 7, 2009

Dave Arneson, co-creator of the original Dungeons & Dragons game, passed away on Tuesday evening, April 7th, after waging one final battle against cancer.
    In 1969, when Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax first met at GenCon, both were dedicated tabletop wargamers, refighting historical battles with painted miniature armies and fleets. Their first collaboration (along with Mike Carr) was a set of rules for sailing-ship battles called Don't Give Up the Ship!
    By the early 1970s, Dave's far-ranging interests led him to a unique concept in wargaming -- a wargame where each model represented just one hero instead of many soldiers in an army. That idea in itself wasn't new; "skirmish-style" games had been around for years. What was new were the ideas that the same heroes could be played in a series of games, learning and becoming more powerful with each battle; that their battles could be part of larger adventures set in the types of fantastic worlds popular in sword-&-sorcery fiction; and, most importantly, that playing just one hero at a time was more exciting than controlling a whole army if that hero had a personality. In other words … roleplaying.
    Dave could have used any set of rules to wage his early roleplaying campaigns, which were set in his world of Blackmoor. For a time at least, he settled on Chainmail, written by Gary Gygax and Jeff Perren. It was a fortunate choice, because it brought him back into collaboration with Gary. They swapped ideas and articles, notes and charts, until eventually, the manuscript took on the shape that would become Dungeons & Dragons as published in 1974. Elements of Dave's earliest campaign -- the very first roleplaying campaign -- were published a year later in the Blackmoor supplement to D&D. Blackmoor contained yet another innovation -- the first published D&D adventure, Temple of the Frog.
    In later years, Dave published other RPGs (Adventures in Fantasy), started his own game-publishing company (Adventure Games) and computer game company (4D Interactive Systems, Inc.), taught classes in game design, and lectured on educational roleplaying. Whether you're a lifelong D&D player or a newcomer to RPGs, a traditional paper-and-pencil gamer or an online roleplayer, we all owe a great debt of thanks to Dave Arneson and his groundbreaking Blackmoor game.

A moment to the man that helped bring so many good memories to so many others.
    " I am the Walker of Shadows, the Stuff of Nightmares, and you have two choices pup, either you submit, or you die. Plain and simple, so decide, or I will for you; fair warning, I usually take the easy way out."

Ninja Jesus Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess has a reputation beyond repute Yugure's Goddess's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Four Leaf Clover
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-16-2014 01:20 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Oh, wow. Man, that's... depressing. It's too bad to lose such an amazing and creative mind. May he rest in peace.
    Check out my wordpress blog:
    KamiYugure's Digital Notebooks

Uniquely Unique... FaeryTaleAngel has a reputation beyond repute FaeryTaleAngel has a reputation beyond repute FaeryTaleAngel has a reputation beyond repute FaeryTaleAngel has a reputation beyond repute FaeryTaleAngel has a reputation beyond repute FaeryTaleAngel has a reputation beyond repute FaeryTaleAngel has a reputation beyond repute FaeryTaleAngel has a reputation beyond repute FaeryTaleAngel has a reputation beyond repute FaeryTaleAngel has a reputation beyond repute FaeryTaleAngel has a reputation beyond repute FaeryTaleAngel's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-15-2010 03:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: I do not have one.

Wow, indeed... My condolences. That is awful.

*takes a moment of silence*

May the love and art of roleplaying prevail continuously for all eternity!

~Fae

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle

The Poet Sword Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-15-2014 01:00 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Glory to Dave and Gary!
    May Dave be buried as a hero, and both remembered as such.

Perhaps the world was never meant to make perfect sense.

Rising Falcon! Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Señor Nobody's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Present Gurren Kamina Glasses
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2012 09:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ErraticKyosuke

I don't know much about D&D but it has brought together many people to forget about their lives and and let themselves live in a world where they are the masters of their own destiny.

May he rest in peace.
    I now know what hell sounds like; I recommend a tactical nuclear strike on my position. Tell my family I love them.

Thane of Mimics ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker has a reputation beyond repute ShadowWalker's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-07-2011 07:22 AM
    Threads

Something is to be said about a man that brought THAT many people together, and still ran his own adventures in house for locals. XD THAT is awesome!
    " I am the Walker of Shadows, the Stuff of Nightmares, and you have two choices pup, either you submit, or you die. Plain and simple, so decide, or I will for you; fair warning, I usually take the easy way out."

Closed Thread

Thread Information