AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: The Prince of Tennis

Junior Member SEIGAKU REGULAR is on a distinguished road SEIGAKU REGULAR's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2009 12:47 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default The Prince of Tennis

hey guys, i was wondering if anyone has heard of the sports manga called "the prince of tennis" or "tenisu no oujisama". its hugely popular in japan, and really good. (check wikipedia!). but i cant seem to find any fans on any other sites to discuss it with! has anyone here read the manga or watched the show?

for those who would like to check it out, its about a 12 year old boy named Ryoma Echizen, who is extremely good at tennis. finishing his junior tournaments in america, he returns to japan to attend Seishun Gakuen Academy and join the school tennis team. their goal is to defeat all the different schools that stand between them, and the national championship.

it sounds corny, but the anime is really good. the music, even the fillers (yes the fillers) are downright hilarious, better than Bleach or any other fillers. towards the middle of the show it becomes very Dragonball Z -ish, but like i said, it is definitely worth checking out!

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

It was an okay manga, but very bland and it fell victim to all the usual shounen archetypes.

The anime showed in the US for a year or so, but was taken off the air due to poor ratings.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Junior Member SEIGAKU REGULAR is on a distinguished road SEIGAKU REGULAR's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

yeah, the dub only went to episode 50. it was on toonami. but alot of people watch it on youtube, plus, in japan they made a series of musicals based on the entire show. i prefer the anime over the manga in terms of artwork.

Member KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-28-2009 06:09 AM
    Threads

I love Prince of Tennis!!

and my favorite's Eiji nya!! XD

I think Prince of Tennis is also popular... though... i dont seem 2 know or met anyone who is a addicted to it like me or other fans... T_T

The Man With No Signature The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-12-2010 10:09 AM
    Threads

Considering the quality of a lot of titles under the sports genre, it was just average. It is a well-received show and dwarfs other titles in terms of popularity but i'd never call it as one of the genre's bests.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Crane View Post
    Considering the quality of a lot of titles under the sports genre, it was just average. It is a well-received show and dwarfs other titles in terms of popularity but i'd never call it as one of the genre's bests.
    In a world of Ashita no Joe's and Eyeshield 21's I think that it's fair to say The Prince is pretty good. I only have few volumes, because there is no way that I'm going to buy that many volumes as a prequel to the real manga.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

the manga sequel is out, but it only comes out once a month, probably because this story is shorter than the first one. that sucks...

and i feel the same way as you kawaiikurochan, i searched high and low for a place to talk about this series, with no luck. have you noticed my user name and avatar by the way? lol

to be honest i didnt find it bland or average (well actually, i only watched the anime, never read the manga) because i knew absolutely nothing about tennis, and it was because of the prince of tennis that i found the sport interesting. plus the characters were funny and cool, and what surprised me the most was the filler episodes. fillers are a thorn in alot of people's backsides but this shows' fillers were very funny.
    Last edited by SEIGAKU REGULAR; 05-28-2009 at 02:01 AM.

Member KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-28-2009 06:09 AM
    Threads

We understand each other then Seigaku Regular! In my class the fame of Prince of Tennis only lasted a year! though i had fun talking about PoT all the time... but now i have no one 2 talk 2 about it T_T

At least i found u :P ill have a partner in crime for PoT :P

btw i agree with u... at first i never took interest in tennis... well until i watched PoT and i extremely want 2 play tennis now ><

Senior Member Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2013 03:47 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by SEIGAKU REGULAR View Post
    hey guys, i was wondering if anyone has heard of the sports manga called "the prince of tennis" or "tenisu no oujisama". its hugely popular in japan, and really good. (check wikipedia!). but i cant seem to find any fans on any other sites to discuss it with! has anyone here read the manga or watched the show?
    Definitely heard of it, just never had an inkling to watch or read it. I'm just not the sports fan kinda guy... Never liked sports movies either, except maybe Rocky (oh wait... I did like Cool Runnings, too. xD ). There's also a popular anime about boxing, Hajime no Ippo, but I never watched it either. I don't know how it would stack up to classic Rocky Balboa.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Senior Member Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2013 03:47 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by KawaiiKurochan View Post
    btw i agree with u... at first i never took interest in tennis... well until i watched PoT and i extremely want 2 play tennis now ><
    I kinda feel the same way about Mahjongg after watching Saki.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

the prince of tennis actually inspired me not to play tennis, but to play a sport i had abandoned for 3 years: badminton. i loved badminton with a passion, and then after i graduated, never played it again. but seeing how the characters were so fierce about tennis, how greatly it affected them, i went out and brought a badminton set and said to myself, "im going to play this again, even if i have to play by myself!" lol

yes kawaiikurochan, we shall be partners in crime lol. HOI HOI!
    Last edited by SEIGAKU REGULAR; 05-28-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Senior Member DarkMoonPrince has a reputation beyond repute DarkMoonPrince has a reputation beyond repute DarkMoonPrince has a reputation beyond repute DarkMoonPrince has a reputation beyond repute DarkMoonPrince has a reputation beyond repute DarkMoonPrince has a reputation beyond repute DarkMoonPrince has a reputation beyond repute DarkMoonPrince has a reputation beyond repute DarkMoonPrince has a reputation beyond repute DarkMoonPrince has a reputation beyond repute DarkMoonPrince has a reputation beyond repute DarkMoonPrince's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Heart Carrot Chilled Monkey Brains
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-12-2013 03:50 PM
    Threads

I liked the show, but i didn't see much or get into it, the same with the manga. It confused me quite a bit.

Junior Member frazelle is on a distinguished road frazelle's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-28-2009 11:51 PM
    Threads

prince of tennis is one of my favorite anime.
    infact i do have some posters here in my room.

The Man With No Signature The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-12-2010 10:09 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by No Es Ningun Juego! View Post
    In a world of Ashita no Joe's and Eyeshield 21's I think that it's fair to say The Prince is pretty good. I only have few volumes, because there is no way that I'm going to buy that many volumes as a prequel to the real manga.
    But in a genre full of stuff like Hajime no Ippo and Capeta i would have to say that PoT ain't that good.

Contrary to other titles that utilized the elements of their respective feature sports so effectively and gaining popularity without the need of stereotypical back-ups, i think PoT's rise to prominence relied heavily on the pretty boys seen all throughout the whole series. I don't mind PoT's exaggerations and over-the-top elements tho, coz a lot of other sports titles also rely heavily on such factual exaggerations.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

the over the top abilities, beginning towards the rear of the series, reminded me of dragonball z, and i admit i didnt like it. like Sanada's lightning, mountain shadow thingy, Tezuka's Pinnacle of Wisdom, The 108 Hadoukyus and Ryoma's Cyclone Smash. it was like, in the beginning, it was simpler moves like Kaidoh's Boomerang Snake, Fuji's Triple Counter, and Ryoma's Split Step, which i preferred, cuz it seemed so much cooler. but as the series went on, the abilities and stuff got more silly, i dont know, i cant put my finger on it

Closed Thread

Thread Information