AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Suicide - What is your opinion?

One Volt Battery High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-06-2009 11:53 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Rem Nightfall View Post
    I understand where you're getting at this, but sometimes that isn't true. I tried to help a friend who committed suicide...and he's dead now. I always asked him what was wrong, he tried to make me ignore it. I continued to ask him until he stopped talking to me, I always told him I was here to listen and wouldn't judge. And for the most part I don't judge. I just think if you aren't going to willingly except someone's help and someone's wanting to listen. Then you are far more selfish then the person who couldn't help. In most cases they push you away so much that you have no other choice, but to drop it. You tell your family, or someone that you think they are going to commit suicide and they push you much farther away because of that act of getting help. And then in most cases they go through with it and either survive or die.
    In cases like this I can understand why it would be selfish for the suicidal person to commit suicide. If you genuinely tried to help the person and they just weren't accepting your help, then that person was most likely lacking in the family department. It's unfortunate that family didn't intervene in this situation. If I felt that my kid was going to commit suicide, I'd barricade myself in their room and keep an eye over them until they fess up just to show that I really do care about them.

I don't think, however, that in the case I described the person who killed themselves was any more selfish than the people around that person. It's quite unfortunate because there are many people who have killed themselves because they were in the position that I talked about. :[

Cowboy Psychologist Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2013 12:07 AM
    Threads

Something y'all might find interesting.

The literature right now on mood and behavior leading up to suicides and suicide attempts is fairly solid. Suicidal ideation begins and worsens as overall affect (mood) declines. Upon deciding to carry out that desire, though, affect increases dramatically. This phenomenon has proven frustrating for treatment purposes, since it's difficult to tell whether or not the elevated mood is a result of treatment or decision having finally being made. The burden of deciding seems to be a large factor in the depressed mood.

Just a lil' sum' sum' to think about.

Bad Memory

Senior Member polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-10-2010 05:58 PM
    Threads

those who are truly planning on commiting suicide arent going to tell anyone about it. if they do tell someone about it, then its more than likely a cry for attention.

it grieves me that some of you dont see the selfishness involved in suicide. or think that its ok because "humans are selfish" anyways. im not being judgmental, so dont think i look down on anyone for their opinion...it just makes me sad.
    in my head theres a greyhound station, where i send my thoughts to far off destinations.... so they may have a chance of finding a place, thats far more suited than here (ben gibbard)

www.soundcloud.com/theparadox
    www.myspace.com/polaristheparadox
    www.bombeatzmusic.com
    www.jamvana.com

One Volt Battery High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk has a reputation beyond repute High Risk's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-06-2009 11:53 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by polaris1 View Post
    those who are truly planning on commiting suicide arent going to tell anyone about it. if they do tell someone about it, then its more than likely a cry for attention.

it grieves me that some of you dont see the selfishness involved in suicide. or think that its ok because "humans are selfish" anyways. im not being judgmental, so dont think i look down on anyone for their opinion...it just makes me sad.
    I see the selfishness involved, but I acknowledge that there is selfishness on both sides of this and not just on the side of the suicidal person.

For I am not the one Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma has a reputation beyond repute Ayame_Sohma's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2010 10:44 AM
    Threads

I think suicide is wrong and is not the answer, no matter how bad life gets.

I just really hope the people who do, don't go to hell.

Old and Cranky Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-17-2009 11:44 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by High Risk View Post
    In cases like this I can understand why it would be selfish for the suicidal person to commit suicide. If you genuinely tried to help the person and they just weren't accepting your help, then that person was most likely lacking in the family department. It's unfortunate that family didn't intervene in this situation. If I felt that my kid was going to commit suicide, I'd barricade myself in their room and keep an eye over them until they fess up just to show that I really do care about them.

I don't think, however, that in the case I described the person who killed themselves was any more selfish than the people around that person. It's quite unfortunate because there are many people who have killed themselves because they were in the position that I talked about. :[

But then we have to look at another factor. In most cases the ones who drop and ignore it once or so are usually teenagers. And teenagers are in that awkward emotional part of their life. Not really ready for advice and mostly scared crudless of their peers. I mean yeah we can say we shouldn't give uh about what our peers say, but to teenagers their peers are the most involved if you catch my drift. I mean it's almost the same thing with girls who get sexually assaulted, I should say young woman. Most of them are scared to say anything to an adult or even a friend because they are afraid it will leak out and she'll be called a {word meaning one who engages in sexual acts for financial compensation has been redacted} or a *****.
    Same thing I suppose with this. What if you continued talking to your friend and your peers found out you told an adult. Would you then be called a murder by them if it ended up they committed suicide? I mean it's selfish, but teenagers are awkward in that way.

Wedding is in October. And I'm going to be a dad. Super excited.

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't think it's right, but I will not judge someone for it. It's about them, and their demons and pain, and I can't understand it or help them carry the burden.

It's a shame that asking for help comes with a stigma.

Nanobyte's minion SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Luna Cake Lie Soras Keyblade
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2017 06:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1596-5790-7816-3407

I think some of us have had those thoughts at one point in our life. But it is a permanent answer to a temporary problem. People just have to find a way to deal with the things that are bothering them.

I'll be honest and say that I had those thoughts not so long ago, but talking to friends, and thinking about the bright side of things made me realize that not all is lost.

Cowboy Psychologist Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by polaris1 View Post
    Is this a bad thing? Are people who are so down that they're thinking about suicide supposed to not bring it up with others? Most suicidal ideation is due to a perceived lack of options, not because dying would be just awesome to do. Read and consider the last sentence of revile's post.

Quote Originally Posted by High Risk View Post
    I see the selfishness involved, but I acknowledge that there is selfishness on both sides of this and not just on the side of the suicidal person.
    Bolded for emphasis. Y'all should read this carefully and commit it to memory.

The "permanent answer to a temporary problem" remark is simply untrue. Depression is by its very definition a long-term problem; worse than depression alone is when it's paired with dysthymia (a relatively common condition that is effectively a life-long mild depression). Double depression, as this is called, usually includes people knowing that even when their worst bouts of depression are over, they're still going to feel like crap in the end. Ignoring depression for a little while, dependency and the feeling of being a burden that would induce suicidal thoughts are also conditions that are rarely "temporary problems". It isn't like someone giving you the bird or swearing at you is inducing suicidal thoughts (in the vast majority of cases, anyway). We're talking serious and ongoing negative affect. That's more than just a bad day.

See, this is why I get so pissed at the media and pharmaceutical companies. The former for parading the terms around with no heed to the consequence of misusing terms, and for popularizing them to such an extent that the people least educated in the subjects think they know enough to diagnose themselves or others, and the latter for being so profit-motivated that they encourage self-medication through dangerously misrepresenting symptoms in their advertisements. Damn it.

Bad Memory

Cherubim Delight 4 All Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-10-2010 11:49 PM
    Threads

I think suicide is wrong and is not the answer, no matter how bad life gets.

I just really hope the people who do, don't go to hell.
    That reminds me of what Bill Maher said. "Suicide is man's way of telling GOD, 'You can't fire me, I quit!'"

Like most of the people in this thread, I also don't approve of suicide. However the only reasonable excuse was mentioned by, I still dunno how to read his/her name but the anger bag person. If I was dying no matter what, I would go out with flying colors. Do the most dangerous sport or stunt. Like hopping buildings with a golf cart while playing croquete.

Team Aki! -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2013 12:09 AM
    Threads

Suicide is meant to mean stubbornness and loneliness. People choose to commit suicide because they see no hope ahead of their lives, and would end the lives by themselves, as soon as possible. When someone is facing too much stress, the stress (which I would call an invisible killer)would slowly give thoughts of hopelessness.

In the country I came from was actually a high rated place of suicidal. People faces stress from people, school, and work. My cousin saw a high school student jumping off from a 10-story high building in school, left a message about the stress from studying. People jump off from a 30-story high building because of family issues, or because of work. In the year of 2007, there was a high rate of teachers committing suicide, because of the stress from students and parents, spiting them for doing their best on students. I feel like suicidal is preventable, yet, hard to shut the stress up from telling you to end your life.

I once thought of hanging myself when I was 13, because of family issues. And I wanted to hang myself when I was 16, because of relationships. I wanted to end my life because I felt hopeless, but I was wrong. Stress is an invisible killer that cannot chase after me forever, as long as I know how to get rid of it. Then, I went back to church, and saw the newborn babies. I realized how precious lives are, and I should cherish it.

Suicidal is not a way to end a life. People do it to end their lives. But if the past is struggling you, how can the "new" come to you? Who knows what will happen tomorrow? Everyday is a new day, and life should be cherished.

There's no second chance of life.

Morphine. Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Paint Palette Gun Camera Dslr
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-04-2012 09:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Personally...I wouldn't have the guts to kill myself...so I don't know how can you say that a person that shoves a knife through his throat is a coward o.O;;

But anyway, speaking of this, here's an interesting thing I have read: In some cultures, People who killed themselves used to be buried at a cross-roads with a stake through their heart. It was thought that they couldn’t
    go to heaven, and the cross-roads would confuse their ghost
    so that it couldn’t find the way home to haunt anyone.
    No Mercy,
    No Remorse.

||Thank you MaruDashi for the great set!||

Senior Member mstrmnd48 has a reputation beyond repute mstrmnd48 has a reputation beyond repute mstrmnd48 has a reputation beyond repute mstrmnd48 has a reputation beyond repute mstrmnd48 has a reputation beyond repute mstrmnd48 has a reputation beyond repute mstrmnd48 has a reputation beyond repute mstrmnd48 has a reputation beyond repute mstrmnd48 has a reputation beyond repute mstrmnd48 has a reputation beyond repute mstrmnd48 has a reputation beyond repute mstrmnd48's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-04-2010 12:17 AM
    Threads

I wouldn't kill myself.
    Feelings of love are just a temporary lapse in judgment. Like a mental illness. - Haruhi Suzumiya

iProcrastinate. Yuuki Kurosu has a reputation beyond repute Yuuki Kurosu has a reputation beyond repute Yuuki Kurosu has a reputation beyond repute Yuuki Kurosu has a reputation beyond repute Yuuki Kurosu has a reputation beyond repute Yuuki Kurosu has a reputation beyond repute Yuuki Kurosu has a reputation beyond repute Yuuki Kurosu has a reputation beyond repute Yuuki Kurosu has a reputation beyond repute Yuuki Kurosu has a reputation beyond repute Yuuki Kurosu has a reputation beyond repute Yuuki Kurosu's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-21-2010 06:26 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: I wish T.T

I've had 3 friends of mine commit suicide.. ><;;

I wouldn't exactly call it selfish... I don't know how to put that.
    But I can see where you're getting at, saying that they didn't consider others feelings.
    But I am sure their friends and family's feelings had crossed their mind at least once. (?)
    I guess the people around them had affected them enough until they couldn't take it anymore I suppose..
    Sometimes people just can't find their way.. :/
    I Sig by Hakuchuumu<3 I

We're Waiting For You. :]

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten Show View Post
    Quite the contrary; those with suicidal ideation are usually well aware of the pain committing suicide would cause others. It's usually a measure of how much they care about this versus how much anguish they feel they are in. Allow me to turn the tables a moment: if someone is in a serious depression, and they truly can see no way out, you would ask them to live and to continue suffering... so as not to hurt you? To prevent you from feeling pain, perhaps the same pain they are already in? That's quite selfish itself, is it not? Should someone always determine the course of their life by what others feel? i_say_sabotage is dead on; that's not helping someone, that's guilting them.

Where does one draw the line about what others can do based on how they feel? Do we ask our mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, kids and grandkids, and even our friends not to fight in wars? Not to patrol our streets? Not to take risks for their jobs? All of these things cause stress for those around them, and these sorts of jobs all entail the greater risk of death (not so different than what's being discussed here).

Or, perhaps the individual with suicidal ideation is weighing more heavily the feelings of those around them. Maybe they view themselves as a burden, as so many disabled and elderly persons do. Maybe they feel that the pain of grief is preferable to the pain of watching a loved one continue to suffer with no apparent way out (remember, suicidal ideation means essential loss of hope, so while you might see hope, they won't).

It's not so simple anymore, is it?

Bad Memory
    You forget that suicide is not the SUPREME ONLY OPTION to getting rid of these issues. My mom for instance is a paranoid schizophrenic who attempted suicide. She did it out of the fact that the world could not side on her opinions. She fell into depression blah blah blah and attempted suicide. HOWEVER!, with medication and right thinking, she got out of her depression.
    Your whole point on asking your mom and dad and blah blah blah, suicide is one of those things were you can not relate a severe act to an act of being controlled. Suicide is a decision that affects everyone around the person. Can not really put the two in the same room.
    Back to my point, you make suicide seem like the ONLY relief from worldly matters of depression. Clearly it is not and i still stand by my point that suicide is selfish and immoral.

~ Aura ~ Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-10-2010 02:48 PM
    Threads

It is wrong unless you are literally not loved by anyone.
    ~ Aura ~

"If you are near to the dark
    I will tell you 'bout the sun
    You are here, no escape
    From my visions of the world
    You will cry all alone
    But it does not mean a thing to me ..."

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of the Twilight View Post
    It is wrong unless you are literally not loved by anyone.
    Even for that excuse, Go outside and meet people. I have met many people who complain that they have no friends and say that they want to kill themselves when in the mean time, they are alienating themselves from other people because they are afraid of rejection and are more familiar with their close niched world.

If i was a doctor, i would prescribe a pair of balls for these guys.

Member KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-23-2010 09:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by International 4-8818 View Post
    If i was a doctor, i would prescribe a pair of balls for these guys.
    You're awesome. <3

I hate the way society panders to these people who sit around all day saying "bawww, life is too hard" and shutting themselves off from the world simply because they were bullied a little in school or whatever. Life is full of challenges, everyone has it tough.
    "Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting."

Team Aki! -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Although people commit suicide because they feel the hopelessness in life, still that doesn't mean you should end your life that way. Ending a life does not help solving any problems. People should stay alive, even if there are problems. Staying alive gives time to fix the problem, unlike giving up and not coming back and leaving the problem to get worst.

Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by International 4-8818 View Post
    You forget that suicide is not the SUPREME ONLY OPTION to getting rid of these issues.
    I didn't say it was. However, it's the only option left that they see. That's the whole point of suicidal ideation: a perceived lack of options for handling extreme anguish. I note that you addressed none of the questions I brought up in the post you quoted.

My mom for instance is a paranoid schizophrenic who attempted suicide.
    Apples to oranges. Schizophrenia is an entirely different type of mental disorder than depression. Yes, it does have somewhat high comorbidity with depression, and some depressive symptoms are found in schizophrenic persons, but depression is generally not the underlying push towards suicidal thought/behavior for people suffering from schizophrenia. Delusionals and lack of impulse control, on the other hand, are. That medication you're referring to probably helps tame both of those, and made it easier for your mom to generally cope with her condition and less likely to attempt or commit suicide.

Contrary to what you might think, changing someone's pattern of thought isn't as easy as snapping your fingers, especially if they have an underlying mental condition already resistent to change.

Back to my point, you make suicide seem like the ONLY relief from worldly matters of depression. Clearly it is not and i still stand by my point that suicide is selfish and immoral.
    I did not say that at all. I provided a counter-argument to the idea that suicide is purely selfish, regardless of its motivation (depression is only one piece of a pretty big and pretty complex puzzle, and I know of nobody in the entire field of psychology who views suicide as acceptible... myself included). If it is selfish for someone to want to end their life becuase of their pain, it is at least as selfish for someone else to want the first person to continue living in pain so that they might not suffer in grief. That is my point. I don't mind differences in opinion, but until you address even some of the very questions you quoted me asking you'll have a hard time claiming the moral high ground.

Quote Originally Posted by -akichan- View Post
    Although people commit suicide because they feel the hopelessness in life, still that doesn't mean you should end your life that way. Ending a life does not help solving any problems. People should stay alive, even if there are problems. Staying alive gives time to fix the problem, unlike giving up and not coming back and leaving the problem to get worst.
    Which is all well and good... unless the problems can't be fixed. Certain medical conditions, as well as certain mental disorders, can't be fixed. Would you like to reconsider your argument that these people should stay alive to fix problems that can't be fixed? Remember, by asking these people to stay alive, you're asking them to continue their suffering. Think carefully.

Bad Memory
    Last edited by Forgotten Show; 05-21-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Cherubim Delight 4 All Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji has a reputation beyond repute Seta Souji's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-10-2010 11:49 PM
    Threads

I didn't say it was. However, it's the only option left that they see.
    Look harder.Click image for larger version

Name:	Silly_Emo.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	24940

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Most people that count to ten before doing the act would not do it and anyways I would not have the guts to kill myself even if I wanted too. I have one friend that almost did but I was there to help. Suicide is simply wrong and the person killing themselves is not just ruining her/his life, they are also harming the hearts of others around her/him.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Senior Member BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2009 11:29 AM
    Threads

I don't think suicide is morally wrong, but it is an unnecessary solution to life's problems. It's just a tragic way to give up. It's only necessary if something good is coming out of it, like saving somebody or selflessly sacrificing yourself

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I say go for it. There's a few suicides at my local schools and I just laugh. I've seen quite the bit of rich kids, happy family, hot girlfriend/boyfriend then decide to kill themselves. On the news I heard it was because the kids parents divorced. Really? As I type I'm wearing a darn three dollar shirt and some darn slacks and you decided to off yourself because mommy and daddy don't like each other anymore?

That's fine by me. Less competition for me. We are just rational animals, and less competition means more oppurtunity.

I've met kids whose parents income isn't even enough to support themselves that grow up to be epic human beings. They had a chance to kill themselves.

Suck it up.
    Last edited by Diocletian; 05-21-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten Show View Post
    Would you like to reconsider your argument that these people should stay alive to fix problems that can't be fixed? Remember, by asking these people to stay alive, you're asking them to continue their suffering. Think carefully.
    You're making it sound like I'm a slave of Satan!

What I meant was that people should not choose to commit suicide in the first place, because committing suicide DOES NOT help to fix the problem either. As I said, no one knows what will happen tomorrow, but once the life is ended, then it is done without second chance. Suicidal has been one of the biggest concerns in this society where there are organizations helping people from preventing suicidal, which has proven that it is preventable, and committing suicide does not help at all.

Closed Thread

Thread Information