AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you guys like being called 'otaku'?

Member midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-23-2009 01:57 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by 久里寿 View Post
    Doo itashimashite. Demo, otaku ga chotto dame desu ne.

Deshou?
    Sou da wa. Demo ne, chotto ochitsuitara dou deshou? Kare wa itsuka wakattekuru to omou wa

Sorry you have to put up with both "henna gaijin" and "otaku" remarks. I wish I knew what it was I was doing to avoid both labels despite being quite the oddball and a bit geeky...maybe they're just scared to say it to my face because they think the intimidating American girl's going to eat them or something

In the end, you just have to pick your battles. If your friends calling you "otaku" in jest bugs you, tell them or it'll just continue. No one can or will understand what kind of person you are just from one encounter - I mean, even I'm working from guesswork here - so while it hurts sometimes to just grin and bear it, sometimes that's just what you have to do in the face of being stuck in passing with a not-so-savory label.
    Last edited by midori-no-ink; 05-13-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: The conversation got ahead of me, so I quoted the post I was responding to!

GONESKIES AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-07-2009 04:18 PM
    Threads

Nihonjin are funny like that.

They LOVE to gossip and talk about other people, but in their presence they say nothing. Kinda two faced in some ways.

The people that say it to me have been my friends for years, and they do mean it only as a joke. It's the total strangers that utter these phrases that irritate me. I don't know if you read the OP, but this was directed at me as some sort of insult out of an American girl in response to seeing me sing in Japanese.

But I do it back, sort of. I was out with a group at the same karakoe bar last Friday and there were three American women that were amazed I was singing an enka song........but we were ripping their inability to sing rather openly in Japanese. The bartenders and some of the other Japanese speaking customers heard us but no one told these women what we were saying.

Member midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink has a reputation beyond repute midori-no-ink's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yeah, they really are. What a fascinating society.

Hmm, of course, the only non-Japanese people who ever sing in Japanese are otaku, because all Japanese songs are from anime. Right? Of course. Please.

I must agree with you, though. Doing it back to them can be pretty darn entertaining...you just have to be sure you don't get nasty. If you do, how does that make you any better than they are?

GONESKIES AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Enka is from anime?

Never nasty, just a couple of laughs from the girls. And it's not always me, sometimes it's the shochu talking.

I got a pic from that night too, but I look way too drunk in it.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Oh no, enka's about as far from anime music as you can get, if you ask me! It's definitely an acquired taste.

I was simply being facetious in my last reply with that "all Japanese music = anisong" statement

No Rain No Rainbow!!! OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Red Dango Fuuko Starfish Cake
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2018 12:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: k9craze

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Neddog View Post
    lol, I was wondering when we'd see the otakudog in here. Isn't there a SuperOtakuGirl or something on this forum too? xD
    Yeah there is and there's also AutisticOtakuGirl but I don't know her!!!
    [Random words of wisdom here]
    [Photo signature here]
    [Random words here]

Junior Member SJ King is a name known to all SJ King is a name known to all SJ King is a name known to all SJ King is a name known to all SJ King is a name known to all SJ King is a name known to all SJ King's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 05:20 PM
    Threads

Never heard anyone use that term. I don't really hang out with other people that like anime though. If someone is using it as a friendly term, then who cares? if they are using it in a negative way, than screw them. Just like every other word.

Member KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda has a reputation beyond repute KeijiMaeda's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-23-2010 09:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I believe many people in western countries use the term "otaku" believing it to be a title for those who are wise hermit types who choose to shut themselves inside in order to better themselves.

But many have told me the word "otaku" in Japan is a highly negative thing and it's pretty much an insult directed toward those who are complete shut-ins and are obsessed over what society would consider to be trivial things, such as anime and manga.

Myself, no one has ever called me it, because I'm not one. My only interest in Japanese culture is the anime and videogames, and I don't obsess over either of them.
    "Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting."

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yesterday I went to Kinokunoriya, a Japanese bookstore here in Manhattan. New location, three floors and I had never seen it so I was strolling around and there was this commotion going on upstairs. I go and see a couple of American kids cosplaying around some sort of meeting and they're discussing anime and movies and the legitimate Japanese customers go up and look, then sort of comment as to how unusual it is to see that.

And for once I can truly see how stupid it is and the reaction is justified.

Three Nil Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama has a reputation beyond repute Aizen-sama's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts Bleach Ichigo Mask Soras Keyblade Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 04:38 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gjallarhorn View Post
    No, I don't like being called an "otaku". There's a huge difference in the way that Americans use it, and the way the Japanese use it.
    i didnt know it was a difference in meaning in america could u please explain wat u mean ...but from the one i know i wouldnt mind being called it people talk bout me from the first sit of me so wouldnt bother me i lik wat i like and thats all there is to it

"Dark light come shine in her lost heart tonight
    And blind all fears that haunt her with your smile
    Dark light"-HIM

The Final Uchiha Dark-Sasuke has a reputation beyond repute Dark-Sasuke has a reputation beyond repute Dark-Sasuke has a reputation beyond repute Dark-Sasuke has a reputation beyond repute Dark-Sasuke has a reputation beyond repute Dark-Sasuke has a reputation beyond repute Dark-Sasuke has a reputation beyond repute Dark-Sasuke has a reputation beyond repute Dark-Sasuke has a reputation beyond repute Dark-Sasuke has a reputation beyond repute Dark-Sasuke has a reputation beyond repute Dark-Sasuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-10-2013 09:40 PM
    Threads

i think anyone that knew the word "otaku" in my area probably is one, so i guess otaku is basically meaningless round here

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The original word "o taku" was a reference to someone else's home. Like if you think someones house is nice you'd say 'o taku ga kiree desu ne' and so on. The slang meaning became a homebody, or a shut in. This was generally directed at other Japanese that fit the bill, but the secondary slang became American anime fans who were perceived as shut ins as well. Now it appears as though the word is now strictly an insult lobbed at American anime fans or other people who are obsessed with obscure parts of Japanese culture.

Americans seem to embrace it, and I chalk that up to a severe misunderstanding of the Japanese language and it's nuances.

Senior Member Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2013 03:47 PM
    Threads

I go and see a couple of American kids cosplaying around some sort of meeting and they're discussing anime and movies and the legitimate Japanese customers go up and look, then sort of comment as to how unusual it is to see that.

And for once I can truly see how stupid it is and the reaction is justified.
    I'm sorry, but I don't see the justification. These Americans aren't legitimate customers of a Japanese bookstore because they're not Japanese? Wow... What a racist remark.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I'm sorry, I don't see how you can say that's racist.

Either you didn't understand the post or didn't read it.

I'm guessing you didn't read it.

Senior Member Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

That's fine if you think that. I've seen this thread full of racist comments from you, either from yourself or by condoning the comments of your Japanese friends, claiming that Americans have no right to enjoy Japanese culture because they're not Japanese, and that an American can be rightly labeled an "otaku" for enjoying the same things a Japanese person does, but the Japanese person can have the same interests, "legitimately" as you put it, without being weird. I'm just trying to help you by letting you know what I see, but if you choose to ignore the advice that's your choice.
    Last edited by Neddog; 05-18-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I don't get it.

Whatever, but I'm not going to let you blindly call me a racist. You're using that term incorrectly.

Senior Member zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-20-2009 01:20 PM
    Threads

I agree with neddog you shouldn't just suddenly label people like that, this is actually a pretty useless thread, I don't think any1 in their right mind would want to be labeled as anything especially an "Otaku", just because they enjoy doing something that interests them, doesn't mean they should be judged for it

To say is easy, To do that is hard... (Rurouni Kenshin)

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thanks, Zerog. ^.^

I don't get it.

Whatever, but I'm not going to let you blindly call me a racist. You're using that term incorrectly.
    lol... I'd love to know what you think racist means, then. It's discrimination against an individual based on their race of origin (perceived or otherwise).
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Neddog View Post
    Thanks, Zerog. ^.^

lol... I'd love to know what you think racist means, then. It's discrimination against an individual based on their race of origin (perceived or otherwise).
    I believe he's saying the kids were just anime fans, acting as though to be "Japanese" as they see it in manga and anime. The Japanese adults in the store were then, more or less going "lolwut?"

That's not racist. That's an observation.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Nanobyte's minion SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Luna Cake Lie Soras Keyblade
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2017 06:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1596-5790-7816-3407

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

Actually I don't even know what otaku means, so I don't really care. Just as long as its not a negative comment towards liking anime.

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Quote Originally Posted by zerog View Post
    I agree with neddog you shouldn't just suddenly label people like that, this is actually a pretty useless thread, I don't think any1 in their right mind would want to be labeled as anything especially an "Otaku", just because they enjoy doing something that interests them, doesn't mean they should be judged for it
    No one is saying that Americans can't enjoy the same things as Japanese. However, there are a lot of people who are HUGE fans of Japanese things (anime, food, the language, etc), but understand little about them and don't care to learn. There are people who say they love Japanese food, but have only had Ramen cups and grocery store sushi. There are people who will only watch anime in Japanese because its "natural", but the only Japanese they know is "baka" and "kawaii" and can't even use those words correctly (and, as 久里寿 pointed out, there are those who use the word "otaku", unaware that the word is an insult).

These people are "wannbe Japanese". And in Japan, these people would be called "otaku". Of course, in Japan, if you walk around dressed as a member of the Akatsuki from Naruto, you are going to be looked at as if you are weird and are probably going to be called an "otaku" (since you look like as if you don't get out a lot). This goes for anyone, not just Americans.

In America, people embrace the term as being big fans of anime, manga and all things Japanese. There are people who love being otaku and identify themselves as one. However, in Japan, the word is an insult and doesn't just apply to people who watch anime. Its not really a good thing to be called that (it implies that you have no real life whatsoever).

So, the question would be: why do Americans embrace a word that is clearly an insult and one that does not exclusively apply to anime fans? That's the discussion.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Senior Member zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog has a reputation beyond repute zerog's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-20-2009 01:20 PM
    Threads

first off that's not the discussion at all, read the first post the question is "do any of you guys like being called "otaku"? Otaku is not just anime and video games, it's a person who is obsessed with one thing too much, and that doesn't mean they don't get out a lot, that is called a Hikikomori who doesn't get out of the house that often.

First off you got your facts all wrong wolfgirl, I suggest you look up what an otaku is before saying all this random stuff.

Second: no one said anything to you so why are interfering in it?

Third: No I don't like being called an otaku, I don't like being called anything but my name, and in America, Japan, or wherever in the world, being called an Otaku is an insult unless your joking about it...

now before I waste my time any further I'm done with this thread good bye...

To say is easy, To do that is hard... (Rurouni Kenshin)

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    This goes for anyone, not just Americans.
    And this is my big problem with what I see in this thread - it SHOULD go for anyone, not just Americans. From what I've read here though, I'm seeing that if you're American and you cosplay for instance, then you must be an otaku trying to be Japanese. If you are actually Japanese you could still take it too far and be labeled an "otaku", but that's different. The comments I've read in this thread were directed generally at any American who takes on Japanese interests (I assume we're talking about Caucasian American, since you wouldn't be able to tell an Asian-American just by looking). Take for instance a comment like this:

She HATES the American cosplayers, thinks they're completely stupid. I actually kind of agree with her on that.
    What makes them different besides being American? We're not talking about excessiveness and obsession here, we're talking about sharing the same similar interest but being looked on differently because of the color of your skin. Nobody said anything about "obsessed otaku" or "Americans who think they're Japanese". The only subject brought up was "American cosplayers", and how stupid they are.

And PS, 久里寿, since nobody else seems to have mentioned it, I'll tell you that I think your dissing of those two American girls at the Karaoke bar was very rude. They were very respectful of you, showing how impressed they were at your ability to sing Enka, and struggled with what they could through their language barrier. You had no right to put them down, and especially not to talk about them openly and publicly like you did. If they only knew what you really felt of them, they would never have shown you that admiration which you do not deserve.

They just love the culture and wanted to be a part of it. They showed you respect and admiration because you are adept at what they wish they could be, and you treat them like sh!t and publicly humiliate them. I can't tell you how little respect I have for somebody like that.

You even act proud of your accomplishment. These girls did nothing to put you down, and even admired you for your skill! Yet you're proud that you were able to talk about them behind their back without them knowing, and revel in your feeling of one-upmanship?
    Last edited by Neddog; 05-18-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Wow, you are using the word racist completely wrong. It's not a word to throw around because people dislike your Japanophilia. I anyone saying "You darn Japanese ruining my country?" No.

BTW, stop acting like a Japanophile.

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't care if someone calls me that, but the word really doesn't fit me.

I don't have any obsessions, and do many other things.

Closed Thread

Thread Information