(sorry OP, if you start threads like this they are going to turn into an overall discussion of the issue-" Civil Rights + Gay rights" and disagreements are going to happen.)
If 99% of people in America asked for our government to install cameras it would still be an infringement of that 1% of people's rights to walk around without being on camera.
If 99% of Americans wanted gays to be barred from getting married it would still be a civil rights infringement to the other 1%. Just because the majority wants something does not mean they vote in the direction of freedom and civil rights.
You can democratically give up your civil liberties. That's exactly what happened in California with prop 8 actually. (And when England's major cities citizens allowed themselves to be on Camera 24/7 in public)
That said, I believe it's only a matter of time until the rest of the country catches on to Iowa and the other couple of states that have gay marriage.