AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Japanese Slang

GONESKIES AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-07-2009 04:18 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Japanese Slang

Just like the title implies, words and phrases that won't appear in your dictionary but have deep meaning and frequent use in casual conversation.

Just a few I've learned.

Koukii Yomenai, liturally translates "the air (atmosphere) cannot read". K Y for short. It's used when encountering someone who has a different conversation going on than the rest of the group. Like saying "you don't know what you're talking about".

Chinpun Kanpun, means: I have no idea. Better than saying wakarimasen all the time.

Kuru Kuru Paa, like saying someone is crazy........or dumb. Comes across better than calling someone baka, but it's still rather insulting.

Chou, this one I like and use often in speech. Means "very", but not really. In english we sometimes say something is "effin" good, delicious, etc. This is like your Japanese effin.

Yabai, means "that's bad", but couple that with chou and you get chou yabai, meaning "that's effin delicious".

Mecha, another form of very, used casually between friends. When I'm asked "genki desuka" I often reply "mecha genki daiyo".

There's also regional slangs, namely the ones from Osaka that are commonplace for people from Osaka but unusual to people from other parts of the country.

Maidou, a greeting when entering a store. Instead of "irashai mase" Osaka-jin tend to greet their customers with this.

Okini, means "thanks".

Nande Yannen, means "you're kidding" or "no effin way". Usually couple this phrase with a small love tap to the listeners head.

Anyone else know any good slangs? Please reply them here. Also, if you could let's keep it to Romaji so everyone can read them.

Jya ne!
    Last edited by AF SUCKS; 04-13-2009 at 10:19 AM.

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

I don't really wanna sound harsh since you learned all this from pure conversations so I can understand. Just some points:

Quote Originally Posted by 久里寿 View Post
    Koukii Yomenai, liturally translates "the air (atmosphere) cannot read". K Y for short. It's used when encountering someone who has a different conversation going on than the rest of the group. Like saying "you don't know what you're talking about".
    Not really. First it's 'kuuki (ga) yomenai (yatsu)', KY is an adjective. It's not really that the person doesn't know what others are talking about, the person just gives off the impression that he doesn't know the overall mood of the situation, because 'kuuki' figuratively is the "air" all around. For instance if someone cracks a joke in a funeral he is said to be KY. If a pissed off teacher orders the class to sit down, the student who just shuffles around slowly to his seat is said to be KY. Similarly, to ask someone not to be KY, you say 'kuuki (o) yome'.

Chou, this one I like and use often in speech. Means "very", but not really. In english we sometimes say something is "effin" good, delicious, etc. This is like your Japanese effin.
    You must note that this is almost exclusively feminine. It's a popular slang for kogals.

Maidou, a greeting when entering a store. Instead of "irashai mase" Osaka-jin tend to greet their customers with this.
    'maido (ari)' is only said to the customers after they make a purchase.

Nande Yannen, means "you're kidding" or "no effin way". Usually couple this phrase with a small love tap to the listeners head.
    'nandeyanen' is more like "what the heck", a less stressed-on passing remark.
    Last edited by AzureDark; 04-13-2009 at 07:56 PM.

...so that you know where you can find me

Senior Member Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna's Avatar
    Gil
    Shh
    Gifts Flowers Fan2 R2 Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2015 06:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't know any Japanese slang, but this is great to know, since I listen to a lot of J-Urban music. If anyone knows of anymore Japanese slang please post it in here.

From SkullMuffins on deviantart

Instagram|Tumblr

GONESKIES AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Chou was taught to me by a girl, but I've heard it used many more times by guys. Like guys would call themselves boku and women didn't. That changed.

My ex from Osaka taught me nande yannen and translated it exactly as I wrote it here, how you would use it and how to add that little love tap at the end of the statement. She did this to me all the time.

I was mistaken about maidou, realizing this after the post. Thanks for clarification.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AzureDark
    You must note that this is almost exclusively feminine. It's a popular slang for kogals.
    Regarding "chou", my understanding is that it used to be exclusively feminine when it was used by the コギャルs, but as the word circulated in usage to the general public, it has been picked up by males as well (keeping in mind that the word 「コギャル」 is a mid-90's phenomenon and now largely obsolete). For example, the athelete Kitajima Kousuke's famous use of the word in 「チョー気持ちいい」, said after winning the gold medal, which won the buzz-words of the year award in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by 久里寿
    My ex from Osaka taught me nande yannen and translated it exactly as I wrote it here, how you would use it and how to add that little love tap at the end of the statement.
    I wouldn't exactly call a tsukommi a "love tap". Between males it's more of a hard slap on the head (classic tsukkomi manzai: ).
    Last edited by Datenshi; 04-14-2009 at 10:55 AM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I wouldn't exactly call a tsukommi a "love tap". Between males it's more of a hard slap on the head (classic tsukkomi manzai: ).[/quote]
    Maybe I'm used to it now.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Yiuel is on a distinguished road Yiuel's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2009 10:57 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Chou- has never striken me as that much slangsh. It obviously comes from "超", which means "super-".

"Kimoi" has been among my favorites. It means something like "disgusting".
    Beware the Trilinguals. They usually always know a language you do not.

1006字出来たぞ!まだ939字残ってるけどね…

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I know that chou comes across as rude outside of casual conversation.

You're not going to use this with a stranger when you're supposed to be speaking kenjyogo.

Mavericker- nothing else Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker is a splendid one to behold Mavericker's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-26-2009 05:44 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by 久里寿 View Post
    I know that chou comes across as rude outside of casual conversation.

You're not going to use this with a stranger when you're supposed to be speaking kenjyogo.
    I was debaing whether or not I should give this to you, but I started a thread on Japanese slang a while ago:

http://www.animeforum.com/showthread...japanese+slang

I know of some sites that list Japanese slang that might help you. I'd hyperlink them but that's ONLY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.

BTW, Chinese women ARE better looking than Japanese.
    Last edited by Mavericker; 04-21-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information