AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Have you given thanks today?

Junior Member Adamec has a reputation beyond repute Adamec has a reputation beyond repute Adamec has a reputation beyond repute Adamec has a reputation beyond repute Adamec has a reputation beyond repute Adamec has a reputation beyond repute Adamec has a reputation beyond repute Adamec has a reputation beyond repute Adamec has a reputation beyond repute Adamec has a reputation beyond repute Adamec has a reputation beyond repute Adamec's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-27-2009 01:59 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Have you given thanks today?

Have you ever talked to someone who served in WWII or lived through the Great Depression? Most younger people would probably roll their eyes when an elderly person starts talking about the "old days" or starts off a sentence with "why, when I was your age", but I love hearing all of their stories - back when you had to wait in a long line for a crappy government food handout, when you had to wear the same few articles of clothing until they fell apart, what people used to do for fun back when many people didn't have technology (or money)...

There's a reason that we call them "The Greatest Generation". I can see the character that their hardships inspired in them. I can see it in the far-away look in their eyes when they talk about life as a child, the never-say-die work ethic that leads many of them to work so hard that they literally burn themselves out, and how even today when so many conveniences are available, they still choose to do without. Until I stopped to talk with them, I didn't understand why elderly people shake their heads at the spoiled kids & young adults of today who are convinced that they have real problems even though they grew up in such luxury.

Little Billy is upset because he didn't get everything he wanted for his birthday. Little Billy ought to be glad his parents could afford to get him anything at all! Just being able to make ends meet used to be a minor miracle. For many today, it still is.

Tara is moping because she has to go on a 5-hour car trip with "only" her dumb ol’ iPod to keep her occupied. That cushy car with all of its well-tested safety devices and her customizable toy that can provide endless hours of entertainment would have seemed like gifts from heaven back in the day.

Emo Ed is pouting in his room because his life is terrible. He should try telling a kid who grew up during the Depression that living in an air-conditioned house saturated with technology, stocked with food & clean, drinkable water, and packed with the wearable clothing that his life is “terrible”! There are young kids with cancer and other terminal illnesses who would do anything for the privilege of even having a healthy life to live!

It seems like today's generations take more and more things for granted because they don’t realize how good they have it. Some people my age are selfish attention seekers who walk around feeling entitled to everything. I see teenagers curse their parents and scream "MINE!" without even realizing how Mom & Dad have both worked so hard at their jobs to give them everything they have. I see little kids throwing tantrums in stores because they have to wait for 10 minutes and do NOTHING (gasp!) while their parents finish looking around.

Please…even if it’s only for a few minutes today, take a look around you and give thanks to God, your parents, or whatever else you want to believe in for the miracle of being able to be here today with what you have. Even if you think you have it bad, I guarantee that you don’t. Not compared to the people with real problems. I used to feel depressed quite a lot, but now that I see things for what they are it's hard to feel sorry for myself.

Remember - no matter how bad you think you have it, there's someone out there who's worse off than you. Give thanks that you're not them.

What are you glad for?
    Last edited by Adamec; 03-27-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Yoko Littner Fan Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-09-2014 11:04 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

I'm glad you can point out the obvious? Beat a dead horse more.

My Photography
    #JustCanteThings
    My Signature Tags
    Project Cantelope
    A Home for Manly Souls
    Dai-Gurren Dan

Senior Member tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2009 06:18 AM
    Threads

Breakfast. Not in the religious sense, just in the 'my god Im starving' sense

And if you think thats petty, well it probably is. But I would say I think about this sorta thing quite often, albeit not in such a, well, preachy way - I mean I know I have it really good for the most part, but I wouldnt say I knew about anyone else enough to say one way or the other...

Am I about to get flamed?
    On that day, all female personelle under my command will be required to wear... Tiny Miniskirts!!!

Brobocop Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2014 09:26 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adamec View Post
    Remember - no matter how bad you think you have it, there's someone out there who's worse off than you. Give thanks that you're not them.
    This is a very counter-productive way of thinking. It is almost always possible to find some point in history that is more atrocious than any other point in history: The holocaust was worse than 9/11, and the horrors of the Spanish Inquisition is worse than the holocaust (from the perspective of the victim); but at least the Spanish Inquisition didn't claim one third of the population of Europe, like the black death, and so forth.

We can't just sit on our hands and be content when there clearly are still things to be improved upon.

What are you glad for?
    I am glad I'm not a hippie who sits around contently singing Kumbaya all day long.
    Last edited by Eris; 03-27-2009 at 02:18 PM.
    D:

Senior Member polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-10-2010 05:58 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by tsujigiri15 View Post
    Breakfast. Not in the religious sense, just in the 'my god Im starving' sense

And if you think thats petty, well it probably is. But I would say I think about this sorta thing quite often, albeit not in such a, well, preachy way - I mean I know I have it really good for the most part, but I wouldnt say I knew about anyone else enough to say one way or the other...

Am I about to get flamed?

If theres one thing ive learned in life, its to appreciate the little things(there is nothing bigger) People can spend their lives worrying about things in their life that they cant control. I found that if you expend your energy being thankful for the things that you do have, the world can be perceived as being a wonderful place. Then again, some peoples' glasses will always be half-empty. It's all how u choose to look at things.
    in my head theres a greyhound station, where i send my thoughts to far off destinations.... so they may have a chance of finding a place, thats far more suited than here (ben gibbard)

www.soundcloud.com/theparadox
    www.myspace.com/polaristheparadox
    www.bombeatzmusic.com
    www.jamvana.com

You keep me right. John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Mars Crystal Henshin Pen Rainbow Ribbon Sagittarius
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2014 12:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm glad I'm alive and well. Halle-freakin-Lujah~! XD

"They didn't need to tell eachother. They never needed to tell eachother."

Senior Member Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-24-2012 05:15 AM
    Threads

Have you ever talked to someone who served in WWII or lived through the Great Depression? Most younger people would probably roll their eyes when an elderly person starts talking about the "old days" or starts off a sentence with "why, when I was your age", but I love hearing all of their stories - back when you had to wait in a long line for a crappy government food handout, when you had to wear the same few articles of clothing until they fell apart, what people used to do for fun back when many people didn't have technology (or money)...
    This may be the case where you live but over here everyone loves to hear old stories of the past, notably war ones, from the elderly.

One of the things that I adore most is listening to my Nan tell me about living through the London Blitz when she was a child, and how she lived next door to George Orwell when her mother owned a pub. There are also many more that are told to me which I like. I am really interested in history.
    That which is; is the truth.

Tis not male! drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-24-2009 01:26 PM
    I live happily in a house with my family. (6 animals)
    Threads

What are you glad for?
    I'm glad i can see problems in what you say.

Yes granted we have so much more than our parents and their parents etc etc. But they grew up not knowing what we'd have. How can you think it's hard when that's all you've ever known?

Like, i dunno i think it's a rude way for people to be all "be thankful for what you have and that you have it better than others." So I'm supposed to feel sorry that my parents worked hard to pay for a house and buy me clothes? Because that's what you sound like.

Why should i compare my life to other people who lived in different times, grew up with different ideals, who were taught different things?

If what's going on in my life is hard for me guess what, I'm gonna be sad about it or hurt or angry or any other feeling that i might need to express.

I don't know what it's like to have cancer, i dunno what it's like to live with very little food or only a few pairs of clothes but why must that mean i can't be sad or depressed?

My question is who are you to judge how i or anyone of those "people" you mentioned are living their lives?

Also OP have you ever asked these older people "if you could go back and have the food and the money and all that other stuff would you? Would you change how you grew up?" Because i have. My next door neighbor is 89 years old. She was born in 1919, and i've sat down and talked with her and she's told me though it was hard, she wouldn't change it.
    I help her out and make sure she is well, but i don't think that oh because my family has bought me an ipod or that they helped me get a car or anything else that i have to be all you had it hard and i have it soo easy.
    Only fools accept the obvious and go no farther.
    Common sense isn't so common anymore.
    "I'll follow you everywhere you go in my oh-so-inconspicuous bright red car and convince myself you don't notice."
    4// Itchy. Tasty.

Senior Member polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星 has a reputation beyond repute polaris 北極星's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-10-2010 05:58 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by drm0ney View Post
    My next door neighbor is 89 years old. She was born in 1919, and i've sat down and talked with her and she's told me though it was hard, she wouldn't change it.

Thats wisdom right there! Its the things we experience in life that make us who we are. If we could go back and change things; it would, in essence, be changing who we are. The world is full of good and bad... and to experience both, is to experience life in it's entirety. And with experience, comes wisdom. And wisdom, in the end, is the most valuable thing we could ever hope to acheive.
    in my head theres a greyhound station, where i send my thoughts to far off destinations.... so they may have a chance of finding a place, thats far more suited than here (ben gibbard)

www.soundcloud.com/theparadox
    www.myspace.com/polaristheparadox
    www.bombeatzmusic.com
    www.jamvana.com

boopaloop! None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above's Avatar
    Gil
    Stressed
    Gifts Xmas Tree Lamborghini Grapes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-01-2011 03:21 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kajiwara View Post
    This may be the case where you live but over here everyone loves to hear old stories of the past, notably war ones, from the elderly.

One of the things that I adore most is listening to my Nan tell me about living through the London Blitz when she was a child, and how she lived next door to George Orwell when her mother owned a pub. There are also many more that are told to me which I like. I am really interested in history.
    Your nan just became one of my heros.

Senior Member tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15 has a reputation beyond repute tsujigiri15's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2009 06:18 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by polaris1 View Post
    Thats wisdom right there! Its the things we experience in life that make us who we are. If we could go back and change things; it would, in essence, be changing who we are. The world is full of good and bad... and to experience both, is to experience life in it's entirety. And with experience, comes wisdom. And wisdom, in the end, is the most valuable thing we could ever hope to acheive.
    Yes indeed... wisdom is sure worth it.

I do feel guilty about what I have sometimes though - it doesnt seem fair, because I dont have everything in my life from my own merits, or at least some timely good luck. But I also completely agree with drm0ney - anyone can feel sad or angry or whatever, to deny emotion like that is seldom a good idea

Though thinking about it some more, I suppose the OP has a point in one way - a sense of proportion is very important. Its something I know I lack, maybe not in the dramatic sense of 'remember the WWII vets' sacrifice' but like if I got a bad mark in an assignment, I probably dont need to get stressed by it - in the long run it wont cost me much. So maybe its good to bear in mind where you are in the grander scheme of things but I still think the OP puts it maybe a bit aggresivly
    On that day, all female personelle under my command will be required to wear... Tiny Miniskirts!!!

Senior Member Foph has a reputation beyond repute Foph has a reputation beyond repute Foph has a reputation beyond repute Foph has a reputation beyond repute Foph has a reputation beyond repute Foph has a reputation beyond repute Foph has a reputation beyond repute Foph has a reputation beyond repute Foph has a reputation beyond repute Foph has a reputation beyond repute Foph has a reputation beyond repute Foph's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-24-2009 10:30 PM
    Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls, Block D, Cell # 3092.
    Threads

What are you glad for?
    My hair.
    "Kisses, darling."
    Swoosh.
    Oofl.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm glad for tl;dr.

Why should I be thankful for anything? I work hard for all my stuff.

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Asleep
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Starlights Brooch 006 - Charizard
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

A few of the things I am grateful for:

- what I have learned
    - I have a good job that I also enjoy
    - for my family and their health (and also mine)
    - that I am in a much better place now, and i'm happy

SES Member Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2014 02:53 AM
    Threads

Thanks for the history lesson, granps.
    If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    My Name is Ian. has a reputation beyond repute My Name is Ian. has a reputation beyond repute My Name is Ian. has a reputation beyond repute My Name is Ian. has a reputation beyond repute My Name is Ian. has a reputation beyond repute My Name is Ian. has a reputation beyond repute My Name is Ian. has a reputation beyond repute My Name is Ian. has a reputation beyond repute My Name is Ian. has a reputation beyond repute My Name is Ian. has a reputation beyond repute My Name is Ian. has a reputation beyond repute My Name is Ian.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-08-2013 03:29 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: tentaclesnyunyu

What are you glad for?
    I'm a humane human. =]

If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate.
    =Randomness is my Forte.=
    Procrastination.
    Tentacles.
    (gasp)

【Twitter】
    【Hear My Voice】
    Singer-songwriter / Artist / Cosplayer / Animation Student

Senior Member Zenga has a reputation beyond repute Zenga has a reputation beyond repute Zenga has a reputation beyond repute Zenga has a reputation beyond repute Zenga has a reputation beyond repute Zenga has a reputation beyond repute Zenga has a reputation beyond repute Zenga has a reputation beyond repute Zenga has a reputation beyond repute Zenga has a reputation beyond repute Zenga has a reputation beyond repute Zenga's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2009 09:17 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by .Lali View Post
    I'm glad I'm alive and well. Halle-freakin-Lujah~! XD
    Ditto.

Closed Thread

Thread Information