AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Questions for my media

Junior Member JD_Est.6661 is on a distinguished road JD_Est.6661's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-02-2009 08:58 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Questions for my media

I got told to put this in here, but if you could please answer these questions for me? I need to get answers from forums to put towards my research for it. Please answer properly (on other forums I got stupid answers that were useless) as this does go towards my final A-Level grade, and I'm banking on this A-level to get into Uni
    I hope the questions aren't too painful aha

What do you like about anime?

Do you know of any mainstream anime? (Such as cinema releases etc)

Do you think anime is popular in the overall Western world or not?
    Western = America, Europe etc

Do you prefer anime to be in Japanese, or dubbed in English? Why?

Do you think anime is becoming westernized?

Do you think anime should become more westernized to appeal to the broader audience in the Western worlds?

If anyone wants to add anything extra, every little helps =]

My question is basically
    To what extent can anime's current mainstream success be attributed to western influence?

Yes, my subject for my research is awesome compared to everyone else's
    Please please pleaaase help me out You will be much appreciated
    Beautiful night, isn't it, police girl? It's especially beautiful if you're a bloodsucker
    Alucard

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

Quote Originally Posted by JD_Est.6661 View Post
    I like the fact that things beyond peoples' imagination can happen here. Just think and there it is.
    There was a couple of Pokemon movies and other movies (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc.) that were release in theaters and some Pokemon movies that were exclusivly on Cartoon Network. But other than those, there aren't anything else I couldn't find...
    Maybe, maybe not. It's all just opinions.
    It depends...No real reason but it depends on you.
    No. Most likely not...
    Do you think anime should become more westernized to appeal to the broader audience in the Western worlds?
    It's already good as it is. No need to Westernize it.
    My question is basically
    To what extent can anime's current mainstream success be attributed to western influence?
    It's most likely already doing something. Especially what's happening to the U.S.'s enconomy.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

☆Good Lucky☆ BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-07-2012 08:05 PM
    Threads

Nothing really in particular. I grew up with it so for me it's more of a familiar thing. If anything I like that it can be based on totally weird things that would never translate into a live show on television.
    Pokemon is the first show that comes to mind, but Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Yugioh, Digimon, Card Captors, etc can be considered to be main stream. Most shows that have appeared in shonen jump are also main stream. Most of Miyazaki's work is also considered to be main stream.
    It's definatly getting more reconiztion. This is prooven by the number of big name stars basically pushing life action anime adaptations for hollywood. It's getting more popular, but if you mean is it like video games or something then no.
    Dubs, as long as they are good dubs. However, most dubs are terrible and I watch subs.
    If you mean if anime is being made more for western style audiences, then no.
    This is more of a cultural thing than anything else. Despite a show like Clannad being an amazing series, I doubt it will be very successful for the majority of America simply because it's not some sort of action show or a comedy (which are basically the only cartoons that are produced).

Shows like Black Lagoon have a huge chance of being popular. However, Japanese people know Japanese culture and anime normally reflects that.
    Actually a lot of animes success can be linked to shows like Sailor Moon and Dragonaball Z, and especially pokemon. There will probably be parts of shows where you can use some western influence, but the core will most likely stay eastern.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I have no answer. This is one of those things that my answer is "Just 'cause".

Name anything on TV, and it's usually mainstream crap.

No. Attendance at cons is not as big as they should be, and there is always the "torrent fan".

Dubbed. I like it in my mother language.

Somewhat. We have shows like Huntik and Chaotic trying a bit too hard to imitate.

No. I think it belongs to their people, and we should let people license it to appeal to us.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thanks guys =]
    These will help
    If anyone else could do it I would appreciate it greatly
    Beautiful night, isn't it, police girl? It's especially beautiful if you're a bloodsucker
    Alucard

Senior Member Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2010 10:15 PM
    Threads

To me, this question really should need no answer. I think that a person saying "I don't like anime" is almost similar to saying "I don't like live-action" (and VERY few people dislike that). There are so many genres, stories, etc. that anime cover that I'm highly skeptical that most people can't find something out there for them. In short, what I like about anime is that it often explores genres that are less frequent in live-action like fantasy or sci-fi because of production costs, it has a wide variety of genres and will often mix them successfully (I could count the list of romantic movies I like on one hand, but I like plenty of romantic animes because they often incorporate humor, drama, sci-fi, etc. into it, like Fruits Basket, School Rumble, Tenchi, Ah My Goddess, etc.), and I'm sure there are other reasons but it's hard to think of all of them.

Do you know of any mainstream anime?

Most of those that air on TV, and as for theatrical showings, I know Miyazaki movies, the Pokemon movies, and the Digimon movie got wide showings. Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece movies also got limited showings. Also I find the "if it's mainstream, it automatically is lame" stance to be silly, if that's what you were implying, but I don't think you were.

"Do you think anime is popular in the overall Western world or not?"

Our fanbase in the Western world is certainly larger than the one in the 90's, but we're still nowhere near the numbers of sci-fi fans, video gamers, etc. It doesn't help that a small portion of our fanbase has no sense of proper social behavior (glomping without permission, starting flame wars over silly topics such as dubs vs. subs, DBZ vs. any other shonen, Gundam UC vs. other Gundam, etc., those who sit in manga aisles reading with no intent to buy and block people's way who are actually trying to buy manga, etc.) which might discourage non-fans of trying anime/manga out, but you find those sort of people in most sorts of fanbases, so no surprise there.

"Do you prefer anime to be in Japanese, or dubbed in English? Why?"

Equal. I find most modern dubs to be on par with the sub (90's and earlier, there are some good dubs, but mostly not so good), so I'll usually watch both.

"Do you think anime is becoming westernized?"

Not really, in fact a recent article had a Japanese spokesman saying anime will probably try to aim for Japanese audiences mainly in terms of creating shows for now. Though how long that stance will last is anyone's guess.

"Do you think anime should become more westernized to appeal to the broader audience in the Western worlds?"

Depends. If you mean have plenty of anime being made that cater more to Western audiences (the fantasy genre for example, since Japan seems to prefer sci-fi) while plenty of anime for Japanese audiences is also made, then sure. If you're talking virtually all anime to be aimed at Western audiences, then I'd have a problem with that.

And there's nothing wrong with anime creators wanting to "westernize" their work, just like there's nothing wrong with Westerners wanting to make their stories more Eastern-like (like Avatar). It's their story, they should have creative freedom, and if they find a different culture fascinating and want it to emerge in their fiction, then I say go for it.
    My name is Kakashi Hatake. What I like....I don't feel like telling you that. My dreams for the future...hmm, never really thought about that. As for my hobbies...well, I have many hobbies.

Nanobyte's minion SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Luna Cake Lie Soras Keyblade
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2017 06:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1596-5790-7816-3407

Q: What do you like about anime?
    A: I like the story that is being presented, and especially if it has some supernatural essence to it. I also happen to like the art style.

Q: Do you know of any mainstream anime? (Such as cinema releases etc)
    A:Yep, very much. If they show it on T.V I'll watch it. And I've seen some movies here or there.

Q: Do you think anime is popular in the overall Western world or not?
    A: No it's not. I mean, there are just a handful of people that watch it, but those few people tend not to mention they like it simply because it leads to discrimintation and grouping. Example: Anime lover = Nerd.

Q: Do you prefer anime to be in Japanese, or dubbed in English? Why?
    A: It depends. If it's action or supernatural, I prefer it dubbed. If it's romance or comedy, then I definitely prefer subbed.

Q: Do you think anime is becoming westernized?
    A: I haven't really seen any anime that seemed westernized other than Cowboy Beebop, but I believe it's slowly seeping in.

Q: Do you think anime should become more westernized to appeal to the broader audience in the Western worlds?
    A: It doesn't really matter to me, anime is anime, and I'll still like it.

Q: To what extent can anime's current mainstream success be attributed to western influence?
    A: I don't think that western influence really ups the anime's success. It all involves a carefully structured story that doesn't pale after a couple of episodes. But then again, there are those shows that are more than 50 episodes long that seem to get boring, yet people refuse to stop watching them.

Ash lover PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-18-2009 03:49 AM
    Threads

My answer: I like everything about it - the animation, the story, the characters, the music, and the voice acting.

My answer: Yes, I've heard about most anime series which are currently being aired on TV. Of course, I'm most familiar with Pokemon, because it's my favorite anime series.

My answer: Yes, anime is definitely popular in the Western world. Pretty much every teen and person in their 20's seems to love anime.

My Answer: I prefer to watch my anime dubbed, because I don't understand Japanese. I also enjoy listening to the English voices of the characters. Especially if the show's voice acting is REALLY good!! ^_^

My answer: Um, I'm not really sure, as I'm still confused on what exactly "westernization" actually means.

My answer: No, it isn't necessary for anime to become more westernized. But I do think it would be great if every anime series could be dubbed.

My answer: Once again, I don't understand what "westernization" really means, so I can't answer this question.
    Last edited by PokemonTrainerLisa; 02-01-2009 at 03:37 AM.

Proud Leader of Save Our Voice Actors
    http://sova.raybound.com/sova/index.php

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Gaaaaah
    Thanks all =] This is definately gonna help me
    And Doom :OOOOO
    Super thanks for the long and detailed answers
    I saw it and was all x_____X 'this is perfect'
    Alucard

Closed Thread

Thread Information