AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Gundam Wing hate...

Senior Member J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2012 01:34 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Gundam Wing hate...

I am new to this forum and I'm glad to have found somewhere I can discuss something I enjoy. Anyway, I have noticed that Gundam Wing is regarded as crap amongst Gundam fans. I know some people like the Mobile Suit Gundam, G Gundam but it seems like there is universal hate for GW. I just wanted to know why.

Like a lot of people, I watched GW when it aired for the first time on CN. I didn't really pay attention the story much because I was young. All I cared about was exploding Leos. After watching the show again this past summer, I realized how good the story is. I love the political element and how there aren't clear "good guys" and "bad guys". As much as I love the show, I'll admit, there are some negatives. The voice acting in the dubbed episodes can be painful. The stock footage can really cheapen the value of battles and there are some plot holes.

To me though, the positives outweigh the negatives. I have heard people complain there is no character development. That isn't true. Relena, Heero and Zechs all develop throughout the show. Even minor characters such as Hilde develop. The philosophy in the show was very good(if you can get past the voice acting) and some of the battles were very good. Top that with an unbelievable soundtrack, and you have a great anime.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion but I just want to express how I feel about the show and ask why people dislike it so much.

Senior Member B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-10-2009 06:14 PM
    Threads

I in particular jab at the show a lot, but I don't mind anyone liking it. Then again, I'm not going to be dishonest about not liking it *compared to a lot of other Gundam shows*. But, I am not a specific GW hater as you call it and not everyone who sidejabs at the show is either. Its just empirical experienced as bad plotline.

I love the political element and how there aren't clear "good guys" and "bad guys".
    This is a persistent element of Gundam in general and by no means a trait only available to GW. Actually GW is, among all serious Gundam shows the one that inscinated this factor the least/worst.

The voice acting in the dubbed episodes can be painful.
    This isn't part of the quality, you can't blame the anime for it. But nobody hates the show because of the english voice acting, its because the story is fail.

That isn't true. Relena, Heero and Zechs all develop throughout the show. Even minor characters such as Hilde develop.
    Heero's developement is about as much as Ash Ketchum's in the 1st pokemon movie, except you replace "Fighting is... bad!" with "Emotions and Peace are... good!". And Ash only needed that one movie.

I'm also not going to change your mind if you like it, and I also talk with opinions. And in my opinion, GW's plot was not good *in comparison with other Gundam shows*. I have good friends that are GW fans while also generally knowledgeable to any mecha anime, and they can tell you the plot was *not* the charm point of the series. Another good example are people at MAHQ, they are not specific GW haters, even fans and the facts and notes of GW don't get any less love than the others, but the verdict is still:

this series had a lot of potential, but it wasted it with poorly developed characters and a thin plot of evil organization after evil organization appearing to challenge the Gundam pilots. Also, most of their talk about pacifism and war makes no sense. It does at some times, but most of the time it's just babble to make the series seem more intellectually refined than it really is.

Its not people hating it that makes it bad, its the fact that its bad that makes it bad.

They talk about pollution is bad in Godzilla, but Godzilla is still a Daikaiju that wrecks Tokio over and over again because he's passing by and fighting something else that coincidentially showed up. And just like that GW is still a power ranger troop of Gundams with purely-for-the-looks weaponry that blow up loads of Leos, with only Treize having a small moment of refined glory, half borrowed from Char's rough outlines in terms of "how to treat mankind and wars". And the whole plot climax was what? A dropping colony. SEED can excuse itself to drop a colony if they think it comemorates the original with it because some factors intended it that way (but its still ripped), G Gundam does not try to drop colonies, its a power ranger troop beating up other robots in an honest way, though you can say it rips DBZ off. GW just drops a colony... -again-. Oh and they have no Zakus.

So all in all, Gundam Wing is not the most superb series around for my taste because of lack in plot in comparison to other Gundam series (which is a commonly shared opinion among, but not limited to and with exceptions, people suffisciently acquainted to the Gundam Universes as well as... well its pretty much fact unless you try really hard on turning it). I do not hate anyone for liking it, unless they troll around with unrefined remarks, but thats not the fault of the series.
    Last edited by B Gundam; 01-30-2009 at 04:35 PM.
    Life is like Gundam ZZ, anime ja nai!
    B Gundam's sigs

For we are one World with one Dream!
    Some things are timeless. In a literal sense.

Junior Member Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2012 05:24 PM
    Threads

I used to like GW, but after several reviewings of it, I was like yeah... It's not as good as I remembered.

Ellxeeva's Minion SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD has a reputation beyond repute SigmaSD's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Luna Cake Lie Soras Keyblade
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-12-2014 12:59 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1596-5790-7816-3407

I liked Gundam Wing, and I thought it was fairly good. I wouldn't watch it again because it's like 49 episodes, but it wasn't that bad.
    If Minecraft had a Japanese intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=H5qFZjuKet4

|Set made by Neukifly|

Super Saiyan Dango

Senior Member Rubedo, the Crystal Blood is infamous around these parts Rubedo, the Crystal Blood is infamous around these parts Rubedo, the Crystal Blood is infamous around these parts Rubedo, the Crystal Blood is infamous around these parts Rubedo, the Crystal Blood is infamous around these parts Rubedo, the Crystal Blood is infamous around these parts Rubedo, the Crystal Blood is infamous around these parts Rubedo, the Crystal Blood is infamous around these parts Rubedo, the Crystal Blood is infamous around these parts Rubedo, the Crystal Blood is infamous around these parts Rubedo, the Crystal Blood is infamous around these parts Rubedo, the Crystal Blood's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2009 10:18 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by B Gundam View Post

Heero's developement is about as much as Ash Ketchum's in the 1st pokemon movie, except you replace "Fighting is... bad!" with "Emotions and Peace are... good!". And Ash only needed that one movie.
    +rep because I loved that comparison so much.

Yeah, Gundam Wing, imho, has the coolest Mecha Design Concept out of any anime in existence. But the music and themes were pretty horrible. If you like the political and temperamental characteristics, you may as well watch Gundam Original. The ED for GW haunts me at night... *shudders*

Gundam SEED is my favorite overall series though.
    Accepting simfile requests. E-mail me at ninebreaker002000@yahoo.com.
    Generation: 15
    Whenever you see this signature, copy it into your own and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Senior Member J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam has a reputation beyond repute J Gundam's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

They talk about pollution is bad in Godzilla, but Godzilla is still a Daikaiju that wrecks Tokio over and over again because he's passing by and fighting something else that coincidentially showed up. And just like that GW is still a power ranger troop of Gundams with purely-for-the-looks weaponry that blow up loads of Leos, with only Treize having a small moment of refined glory, half borrowed from Char's rough outlines in terms of "how to treat mankind and wars". And the whole plot climax was what? A dropping colony. SEED can excuse itself to drop a colony if they think it comemorates the original with it because some factors intended it that way (but its still ripped), G Gundam does not try to drop colonies, its a power ranger troop beating up other robots in an honest way, though you can say it rips DBZ off. GW just drops a colony... -again-. Oh and they have no Zakus.
    Ok, would you say Gundam 00 has the same "Power Ranger" type feel? I'm watching GW right now and once I',m done, I want to start watching 00. Would you recommend it?

P.S. How was the lack of Zakus a negative? I'll admit, they look WAY cooler than Leos but they would ended up being used as cannon-fodder anyway.

Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Rubedo, the Crystal Blood View Post
    But the music and themes were pretty horrible.
    I actually felt the music was one of the best parts of the show. There were times when the music didn't fit with what was going on but the creators hit the nail on the head for the most part.

Member TacticianMark has a reputation beyond repute TacticianMark has a reputation beyond repute TacticianMark has a reputation beyond repute TacticianMark has a reputation beyond repute TacticianMark has a reputation beyond repute TacticianMark has a reputation beyond repute TacticianMark has a reputation beyond repute TacticianMark has a reputation beyond repute TacticianMark has a reputation beyond repute TacticianMark has a reputation beyond repute TacticianMark has a reputation beyond repute TacticianMark's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2009 09:28 PM
    Threads

I personally liked Gundam Wing. Not as much as Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny, but it was decent enough. The one series I didn't understand though, was Gundam G (I'm gonna get killed by Gundam G fans soon, aren't I? -pulls out gun- ) for some reason. But overall, out of the Gundam series I've watched, Gundam Wing and Seed/Destiny were the best IMO.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak."

Senior Member B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam has a reputation beyond repute B Gundam's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by J Gundam View Post
    Ok, would you say Gundam 00 has the same "Power Ranger" type feel? I'm watching GW right now and once I',m done, I want to start watching 00. Would you recommend it?
    00 has half the power rangers feel, but inscinates things more realistic. If you only have GW as reference you might run into calling some parts of it GW ripoff. Well, its not.

And as for recommendations, unless I know what things you like and stuff in general I usually recommend UC Gundam stuff rather than AUs, but thats just me. If you happen to have 00 in reach, okay. But since you hinted you like political and background stuff more I rather think you can try Zeta, if Treize remembering the names of all casualties impressed you (it was one of the parts I did like in GW) prolly MS IgLOO is worth a peek.

P.S. How was the lack of Zakus a negative? I'll admit, they look WAY cooler than Leos but they would ended up being used as cannon-fodder anyway
    I just added that not so serious remark as matter of personal taste. The Zaku is the eternal rival of the Gundam, its also technically the 1st MS to decide a battle (see MS IgLOO), feddies transferred from GMs into Zeonic Zakus often say they are more responsive (think of them as the AK-47 of MS). Besides, though they are fodder for the gundam in the 1st Gundam series, many aces of the Zeon side (and this should speak for UC, since there are almost equal supporters for the protagonist faction as well as the antagonist faction among fans) earned their glory in one. Char Aznable staved off the Gundam in a Zaku, not to mention soloing 5 flagships.

Gundam without Zakus is somewhat like uhm... Mario without Koopas, speak, Super Mario Land 2 (which is actually dokidoki panic) XD

I personally liked Gundam Wing. Not as much as Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny, but it was decent enough. The one series I didn't understand though, was Gundam G (I'm gonna get killed by Gundam G fans soon, aren't I? -pulls out gun- ) for some reason. But overall, out of the Gundam series I've watched, Gundam Wing and Seed/Destiny were the best IMO.
    Its a totally different Genre, you can't really compare G Gundam to any other but Gundam W (and that only limited). Just like you can't compare SD Gundam series to any "normal" Gundam universe
    Last edited by B Gundam; 01-31-2009 at 07:05 PM.
    B Gundam's sigs

Little Green Miko Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Aria Neko Pluto Garnet Orb Be Mine
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-26-2014 09:09 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KagomeHime PSN ID: KagomeMiko

Meh...I probably have no real ranking say in any of this-but...I dunno...I found most UC Gundam series' to be rather bland. But that's merely an IMO.

Course that's not to say they were bad...I'm just a total AC and GW freak that's all. Always have loved GW...Ever since 2000. And my best friend does too. She adores it so much still that she makes referances to it *everywhere* and would probably mutilate anyone who said a bad word against it...>.>

Though I do have to disagree on one point...Hilde never got any character development per se. She was in like 5 episodes and none of them for very long...But-that's why I LOVED her. She was a total flippin mystery.

Anyway, uh-not that any of this had any real relavance-but-I'd never diss GW, and I'm a total fan. lol.

::slips away::
    How'd You Like That On Your Lawn?!
    "I may be empty, but I'm not worthless!"

...Clear...

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

What I forgot to say in the last 2 posts (blame my absent-mindness) was, there should be no hate. If someone makes undeserved remarks or just blatantly insults you for liking GW even I will talk back at them.

So go ahead and make your GW-related posts whatsoever, most of the GW/SEED fans I've 'insulted' (if you check old posts) are not because they are fans of what they like, but rather for their behaviour, and unfortunately I keep bumping into irrational fanbase, but thats them in individual and not fault of the series.

Besides, I am a "Gundam Fan" over anything, so I'm about as knowledgeable on GW as with anything else. And I have bonus material.

B Gundam's sigs

Junior Member Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger has a reputation beyond repute Crossover Senshi Godaiger's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2012 05:24 PM
    Threads

Besides, I am a "Gundam Fan" over anything, so I'm about as knowledgeable on GW as with anything else. And I have bonus material.

Wow, I never really thought of it that way but you make a really good point there.

Closed Thread

Thread Information