AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Old games vs new games, oh what a battle.

☆Good Lucky☆ BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-07-2012 08:05 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Anyways, ive rambled enough. I think ive convinced myself that the new is better than the old
    Therefore, with all this in mind newer games are more favourable to the modern gamer than older games.
    the success of FF games is also attributed to cutting-edge graphics, FMVs, and improvements over each predecessor. Every sequel is expected to improve on its predecessor.
    As i said before, the newer games do all those genres better than the older games.
    Right you're not comparing the quality of games from then and now.

If you wander off track again and try to interpret me as saying 'fallout 3 is better than older games' then youre doing exactly what i accuse you of doing.
    Actually,
    The majority of gamers play new games. Fallout 3 alone has sold over 4.7 million copies in 4 months. How many bargain snes games have been sold in those 4 months?
    Ive asked twice for a simple, concise, and relevant response and i never got one.
    You were the one who made the original post and I simply broke it down and gave my own arguments to your argument.

This is now like a very long argument where in the end you forget about what youre arguing about in the first place but you just want to be right about something.
    Obviously I'm arguing that new games are not always better than older games.

pervelicious... /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa|'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-02-2009 06:49 AM
    Threads

So mutuality doesnt work with you. Dude, just let it go. You take my words out of context and then finally reveal your intentions. No one in my position would be interested your 'own arguments'.

The topic was new games vs old games. At the end of the day, i see overwhelming reason that new games would win the war if they battled today. Though old games may win a few battles as youre trying to prove, that doesnt change the outcome overall.

If youre not going to let this go then continue to argue without me.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

My reply to the TC it's "Depends"

Senior Member doomboy536 has a brilliant future doomboy536 has a brilliant future doomboy536 has a brilliant future doomboy536 has a brilliant future doomboy536 has a brilliant future doomboy536 has a brilliant future doomboy536 has a brilliant future doomboy536 has a brilliant future doomboy536 has a brilliant future doomboy536 has a brilliant future doomboy536 has a brilliant future doomboy536's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-19-2009 07:28 AM
    Threads

Depends on the game and the system. Would I take playing E.T on the Atari over Fallout 3 on the PC? Hells no. Would I take playing Sonic on the Mega Drive over any of the new Sonic games? Hells yes!

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I prefer Chrono Trigger than some of those RPGs for the newer systems.

NICE MUSCLE! The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator has a reputation beyond repute The Governator's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-02-2010 02:18 AM
    Threads

New, new games are better, and Aifa has taken the words from my mouth, they require more brain usage, look at Far Cry 2, that game makes you think constantly, it looks amazing and immerses you so much, you forgot that you should have had dinner several hours ago. Half-Life 2 is still, in my books, the bench marks for physics, I mean, HL2 EP2, when you first get the car and you have to use that bridge as basically a giant see-saw, that is the most amazing example of phsyics I've seen in a game.

Except for the odd sonic game being let loose from the gates of eternal damnation, new games are better than old ones, its more entertaining to play Test Drive Unlimited, than Test Drive 1.

Senior Member rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch's Avatar
    Gil
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2014 05:35 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lots of bits PSN ID: rf_switch Steam ID: lotsofbits

Quote Originally Posted by /Aifa| View Post
    I never said you couldnt talk about your favourite old games. I provided my opinion with the intent of only convincing myself. I even stated it clearly. If i were to try and deprive you of your free will to enjoy old games and talk about them then i would have tried to convince all of you.
    You never did, But you went on about how it doesn't make sense to talk about stuff like this. You know, because what else would you do on a message board?

I didnt see the point in comparing new to old and i compared it to prefering stone homes to modern homes because i think i would have to travel very far to find someone who prefers pacman and pong over newer games. And if they did prefer older games, i have a feeling it would be for nostalgic reasons which makes the comparison lose its significance. What would be more important at that point would be when you were born and what games were available to you as a kid.
    It's not quite the same as a stone home vs. a modern home. Even bringing up Pac-Man and Pong is a little off just because even though they are old. They're simple. But not every old game is simple. There's homeless people who live in cardboard boxes in these modern times. So in that case I'll take the old

I didnt say you didnt need to think in older games. I said most older games like pacman didnt require you to think too deeply compared to most newer games. Mainstream gamers in the new era are quite good at thinking along with playing. Jump onto an online server of any popular game and you will be surprised about how witty and cunning your opponent can be. You will also be surprised at how well a team of players can play together in team based games. The older era didnt offer co-operative thinking because the technology wasnt there.
    Again, Pac-Man. It's not the only older game out there. There were more complex games like Herzog Zwei, Ultima, etc. Pac-Man's popularity is very much based on its ease to get into. Much like WiiSports. But then I don't find that I have to do too much thinking in say Halo.

Ive played new and old games too but based on my experiences there are many things that new games do which the imagination could not have hoped to achieve. I can be quite imaginative too. I drew the picture in my sig and i do a lot of other arty stuff. The level of detail in a game like Bioshock exceeds the imagination of most people who arent novelists. I imagine thats why books are popular. They seem to guide the imagination without images or sounds. It seems an immersive game of the old era is somewhat closer to a good book than the virtual reality immersion of newer games. That being said, we can say that older games cannot offer virtual reality, which is very immersive because it uses our senses and not just our minds.
    What senses? finding a door? Or a switch for the Elevator. Older games made you look for those too.

But also. You're 21. You playing old games like "Pac-Man" is like me hooking up an Odyssey playing that. It's not going to happen. I find those games to be a little too primitive.

First of all, Painkiller is not a good game by modern standards. Graphics can redeem because the level of detail is mesmerising to many gamers. Look at some screenshots or read some reviews if you care to know about it. They acknowledge that the game is mindless run-and-gun but the graphics and detail of modelling environments and such allow it to redeem itself a little. We all appreciate art or eye-candy, and that game actually offers a degree of that. On a scale of 10, that game is about a 7 at best in modern standards.
    I know all about Painkiller. I appreciate art or eye candy. But if the gameplay isn't there i'm not going to put up with crap gameplay just so i can see pretty pictures.

And this sentiment about modern gamers thinking graphics are everything is a little exaggerated. Gamers actually dont enjoy games that are 'all show and no go'. The classics of recent times are actually games that are appreciated for their gameplay or detailed story or reality. Farcry is loved for its massive environments which allow gamers to feel a sense of endlessness. Call of Duty offers a very realistic and intense war experience through every detail. MGS4 was a theatrical masterpiece with the high calibre in gameplay and visual and audio detail to complement it. Fallout 3 and Bioshock simply offer a high level of immersive gaming and they both have great stories and plot to go with them. Mass Effect is overall an RPG success.
    Well I'll admit that the "graphics are everything" is a bit of a stereotype. And alot of it has to do with you being able to see people complain about things on the net. CoD may offer a realistic and intese war experience, but for me I'm not looking for that in my games. I'm looking for an escape from realism most of the time.

If you'd like to consider MGS4 a theatrical masterpeice then go for it. For me, eh, it was alright.

And true, Fallout 3 and Bioshock offer what you say they offer. I'm not saying this isn't done in the modern age of gaming. But just like with older games for every Fallout 3 and Bioshock you have 10 games that you don't want to bother playing because they don't offer an immersive story or even gameplay features.

Like i said before, whether its a big or small or cheap or expensive industry is irrelevant. At the end of the day, there are differences to new and old games. Why this has happened does not matter because we dont think about game developing budgets when we play our old-school RPGs. We just enjoy the experience.
    I hardly think about the budgets now. But with the much higher budgets that games have/need now theres more of a reason to not only put out a playable product/

I dont see the significance of this comment. A platformer will always be 2D in nature and i have never objected to that. A 3D platformer is not supposed to change that. Its just meant to offer the visuals and some other perks like changing camera angles.
    The significance is that Street Fighter 4 while having 3D graphics doesn't really do anything gameplay wise that couldn't have been done on some of Capcom's older arcade hardware. The choice of 3D as I said was more than likely made because spriting has become a bit of a lost art form these days along with consumers arent exactly crazy about titles with 2D graphics anymore.

A 3D platformer is very much 3D though. There's exploration in 3D platformers that can't be done in a 2D platfomer. Just like a FPS offers a bit more than say playing Contra. You're running and gunning. It's just a different experience.

Well i hope more people think like that because as far as i can tell, people seem very concerned about who the artist is more than the music itself. Im sure youre right about good music though, but in reality i dont think it would be easy to get the typical new generation of kids to appreciate good music from generations ago.
    Alot of it has to do with age. The whole before your time thing. Also the artist thing yeah, I can see that. N*SYNC could come out with the greatest song ever and people who weren't teenage girls at the time they were popular would still ignore it just because it's N*SYNC. But very few people who are into rock think The Beatles suck. You get plenty of people who love Kurt Cobain and Nirvana yet they were in Diapers.

At the same time I recently came across someone whose a teenager. One of the genre's of music she likes is Hip Hop. She had never heard of Run-DMC. Yet she also likes rock and loves The Beatles. Both groups were very influencial in their respective genre's. it's just I dunno..
    Last edited by rf switch; 01-21-2009 at 02:51 PM.

pervelicious... /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa| has a reputation beyond repute /Aifa|'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-02-2009 06:49 AM
    Threads

I dont want to go into detail on this exhausted topic but your post seemed reasonable at the same time. So ill just say a few things. Firstly the pac-man talk came from the original post topic. Which is fair because i dont like going off track from the original topic. When i said it doesnt make sense to talk about this and compared it to primitive homes vs modern homes it was in relation to pac man vs some new mario game. When it comes to immersion and senses i dont think we're talking about the same thing. Basically, im saying its hard to play and enjoy a game like bioshock or FEAR and then find a game of the old era that can offer the same immersion and excitement. One of the senses which is used better in newer games tends to be hearing, especially in survival horror games. A vague cry from a familiar voice can trigger the player in those games. Even our visual senses are more engaged in HL2 which uses facial expressions to develop characters to the gamer. With platformers, what i said before was actually muddled up. As for the beatles, i mainly come across people in my generation who dont think anything of them. Theyre aware of them but they dont like or dislike, theyre just not interested.

Junior Member Felidire has a reputation beyond repute Felidire has a reputation beyond repute Felidire has a reputation beyond repute Felidire has a reputation beyond repute Felidire has a reputation beyond repute Felidire has a reputation beyond repute Felidire has a reputation beyond repute Felidire has a reputation beyond repute Felidire has a reputation beyond repute Felidire has a reputation beyond repute Felidire has a reputation beyond repute Felidire's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-27-2009 03:23 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 5422 6831 8228 8893

There's some pretty cool "old" games, like Gain Ground and Altered Beast.
    I think I prefer new games though.
    Inhale the light. Relax for some time,
    The world outside stays numb tonight.
    Free your mind, express the forgotten..
    The world inside is yours tonight.

Minus - In Flames

Member KhronoBM is on a distinguished road KhronoBM's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-15-2009 09:44 AM
    Threads

The old Mario and Sonic games I like, The 8-bit Megaman games, The Classic Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter s games were all good

The new games like Zelda: Windwaker and Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime, new mario games, I like Sonic Unleashed, Rush and Chronicles. New Shooters like Timesplitters, Resident Evil 4 (Survival but I guess it counts), Call of Duty 4 and World at War, Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

I guess I can't make up my mind
    It's just good buisiness

Senior Member Mango has a reputation beyond repute Mango has a reputation beyond repute Mango has a reputation beyond repute Mango has a reputation beyond repute Mango has a reputation beyond repute Mango has a reputation beyond repute Mango has a reputation beyond repute Mango has a reputation beyond repute Mango has a reputation beyond repute Mango has a reputation beyond repute Mango has a reputation beyond repute Mango's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2010 01:46 PM
    Threads

I prefer older games. They're so fun to play. xD
    Look ma, no hands!

Senior Member Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts Black Guitar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2014 08:32 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: OG_APPLEJACKS

I like the classics. I like the original plots. Most games run on the same hackneyed plot over and over and over again. Games like Guitar Hero, however, are good too because they are original. Resident Evil and stuff like that, while entertaining, are a beaten horse that keeled over in 1999.
    Last edited by Dr. Evil; 02-06-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information