AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Ellipsis's Sigs of Fail!

AF's resident Crazy Cat Lady Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf's Avatar
    Starving
    Gifts Mario Bowser Shell Mario Bob-omb Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2014 12:38 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CaptainEllipsis Steam ID: CaptainEllipsis Wii Code: 2388 1485 3012 2739

Thumbs down

No posts? Really? I was pretty proud of that Ichigo one...oh well. here's another set:

Very yellow...But I love it. She's a little pale, and it's a little crowded, but other than that, no complaints. I've been running out of ideas lately though, so I might not make as many as often >.>; So let me see some comments!
    Edit: Teed made me redo the ava....again, so here's the other version:
    Just flipped with different text.

Senior Member Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-19-2017 04:54 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

It'd take me ages to criticize every single one of your sigs, you churn them out like a factory after all. I'll just point out some things about your Daisy signature that I think are pretty important to talk about.

First off, a little about my theory on signatures. KISS; Keep It Simple and Stupid (okay, I totally stole that from my Intro to Digital Design class, but it applies here too I feel). One of the biggest issues I've had with these things is that when you, the artist, is sitting there with Photoshop open, working on an incredibly cramped canvas space first of all, you naturally feel like you're aiming to create an incredible work of art, akin to Da Vinci's Virgin on the Rocks. However, in actuality, what we all need to realize is that we're just creating this tiny, insignificant banner that will be at the bottom of someone's posts on a forum, that everyone viewing will just quickly glance at and make a quick first-impression judgement on it. The point is, ultimately, the more things you put into it, the more time you're wasting, because no-one will ever sit down and inspect every aspect of your signature unless they're criticizing it (like myself).

Now, you might be asking after that short wall of text, how does this apply to your Daisy signature? It's because when I think of a signature, I think there's really only one real point of focus in a good signature, being:
    1. The Character
    That's it, number 1 (in importance).So, in this case, we have Daisy (could be a car, a tree, a chair, <insert name of inanimate object here>). A good signature makes sure that some how, some way, it will make the character look good. Notice what's not on the list? Effects. Effects being brushwork/filter effects/C4D renders/text/what have you. When you think about it, besides the character, EVERYTHING else on the signature is SUPPOSED to only be accenting the star of the show, the character that you're working around (keyword here). Which explains my biggest problem with your Daisy signature (and many others/my own signatures): THE EFFECTS. In this case, I'm talking about the many layers of brushwork you've brilliantly put together. I won't lie, I think your brushwork is very well done, but it's TOO well done. Even you yourself said that it's "a little crowded". In fact, there's so many lines going in every which way, when I glance at it, my eyes naturally don't really have any idea where to go, and it feels like a massive blur of just yellow in front of me.

Here's what I think is wrong with it. There's the important focus point, the character, Princess Daisy. People know, instinctively, that they're supposed to look at the character. It's supposed to be the ONLY thing to look at, in reality. However, in this signature, there's actually TWO things to look at. There's the extraction of Princess Daisy which is, in contrast, flat and clearly two-dimensional; and then there's the brushwork. Many layers of extravagant brushwork, with rich volume, and vibrant colors. Instead of your brushes complimenting the character, they're way too extravagant, and actually end up separating the signature into two elements, instead of one solid, smooth, and flowing image. The result is that it feels much too busy when I look at it.

I'll use one of Balance's signatures as an example, because I really respect his/her work.

Literally EVERYTHING in this signature highlights the focus, even the text doesn't stand out. At first glance, my eyes are locked on the boy in the center (which happens to be the best place to place the focus, remembering anything from Art Appreciation class?), and then I start noticing how all of the little effects really help make him (and in turn, the signature as a whole) look much more attractive than he would if I just looked at a 450x200 cut of him by himself. The small splash of cloudy texture in the background makes a line that brings your eyes to the focus; the soft swirls frame the character, and add depth; and the patterns on the bottom break up the effects on the edges, helping them blend into the black background so they don't have a harsh contrasting border. Hell, even the text compliments him by softly merging with the background splash of color. While I'm looking at it, all I can think of is how damn CLEAN he looks with everything working FOR him.

In fact, graphic design in general is almost always just making one focus look really really good. Examples: by He1z on dA and by Uribani on dA

So, to put it short and sweet, you should focus a lot less on your effects (brushwork), and more on how good you're really making your character look. I know it's hard, when you whip out your fresh set of hundreds of brushes you just got from deviantART, each one very pretty, but you need to stop yourself. The brushes/C4D's/filters aren't the focus of a signature, the character is, and always will be. Go a little easier on the background work, minimalism is the latest rage for a reason. You've definitely got the ability to do it, just try to stop yourself from feeling like you need to "fill up that empty space", instead you want to think "how can I make that empty space work for me?"

P.S. Holy crap, I ended up writing a lot. Well, I hope you get what I think about these things.
    Last edited by FlashD; 07-30-2009 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Please direct link

AF's resident Crazy Cat Lady Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf's Avatar
    Starving
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CaptainEllipsis Steam ID: CaptainEllipsis Wii Code: 2388 1485 3012 2739

I think I got the main idea of what you were saying: lose most of the effects, and brushwork. So here's my result from that:

I kept it simple (or at least tried to), but it's still nowhere near as good as Balance's D: Ignore the text also >.>;

-Earlier sigs-
    A request from Arrancar Grimmjow:

And just messing around...

May precipitate OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2018 11:48 PM
    Threads

The Marth one is very well executed, it feels refined and all focus is directed in the one place which is good.

The Mario and Luigi ones have too much lighty glowy thing going on lol, but other than that I like those too.

Tru Fax: Princess Minako wrestled Jesus... and won

Senior Member Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Your Marth signature looks fantastic. With a little more practice you'll be churning out pro sigs in no time.

Starving
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

I reused the Marth style, but added a bit of smudging here, and there...

Starving
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Trying not to get as repetitive as I've been doing lately, but I feel the need to expand on the style I did my Marth one in, so here goes another:

Threw in a little bit of effects, but tried to keep it simple. A little hard for me, since I tend to overuse C4D's, and brushes sometimes. Ignoring the text (again) I'll say it's not that bad. Yoshi's eyes are a little sharper than I'd like though =/

I'd really appreciate some comments, and stuff on this one.

Gil
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

You're going in the right direction I think, but there's too much of one color. It's more appealing to see some breaks and variety. The mario and yoshi sigs are both have too much of one color in my opinion (red/green respectively).

Starving
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

So, you mean I should use a variety of colors, and not just one or two? I hadn't really thought about that...

Gil
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

It's nice to have a theme, but when there's too much of one color, it feels too bland and simple. The touches of white/varying shades of blue in your Marth signature gives it more flavor, while in contrast, the Mario signature just seems more like a big blurry blob of one shade of red, with more red lines, and some more red.

Starving
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

A few requests I got:

For Arrancar Grimmjow (again) She wanted it huge...

For Divinity.

And I'm just now reading your post Cante (It never lets me know when people post in my thread, even though I subscribed to it). I see what you mean now. The bits of white, and shades of blue in my Marth sig kinda gives it highlights, whereas my Mario sig is primarily just one shade red, making it sorta plain looking. Same with the Yoshi sig, but not as much as the Mario one. I'll change it up a bit with the next sig(s).

Promised Protector Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Gurren Kamina Glasses Cow
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-24-2014 05:38 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

You've improved quite a bit since I've last posted in here.

Alright, here are my issues, opinions and suggestions.

You really need to learn how to have a sense of flow. The way you've been doing your signatures, you try to find the direction of flow and then use effects to emphasize that flow while trying to highlight your subject. Your recent Marth signature was alright, but I think you could do a little better without trying to smother in effects. The Super Mario one has way too much red in it and not only that, the red is a bit too bright. Also, the flow in that signature was really disrupted and the effects don't look as though they really fit into the signature.

The typography needs work a lot in my honest opinion. Go to dafont dot com and check out what they have there and download a lot of stuff. Go with serif fonts, squarish fonts, or if you want, I'll send you a whole pack of fonts that you can use. Get creative though and don't use the bevel styled typography in your signatures. It does not fit at all. Especially the fonts that you have been using. Stay away from those specific fonts from now on.

These are not sigs of fail but rather sigs of improvement. Focus on emphasizing your subject while keeping the effects to a mid minimum. Sometimes simplicity is key. Keep it up and I'll be watching from afar.

Starving
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Typography has always been my biggest problem, but it'd be great if you could send me a pack of fonts. The ones I downloaded never really seem to match my sigs.The only one so far that I actually like the fonts in, is my Daisy one in post 126. And usually when I can't find a good direction of flow, I try to make it go through the middle, which still doesn't always look quite right. I tried to keep the Marth sig simple too, but when I finished it looked too simple, so I tried to add a few things here and there, and ended up over adding a few things...

Saved Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Gifts Telescope Baka Be Mine
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-21-2014 10:13 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Thanks for the sigs Ralph >_> And in my opinion, you need a new.... oh what's the word... design? I can always tell what sig is yours because you always use the same design o_o

Sig by Feferi <3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
    -Mark Twain

Starving
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

The funny thing is, I never do the same steps twice in sigs. Unless it's supposed to match of course... So far none of my sigs (excluding the matching ones) had the same steps done in the same order. They all look differently to me too, so I have no idea how you can tell which is mine...

Promised Protector Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Ellipsis View Post
    The funny thing is, I never do the same steps twice in sigs. Unless it's supposed to match of course... So far none of my sigs (excluding the matching ones) had the same steps done in the same order. They all look differently to me too, so I have no idea how you can tell which is mine...
    Simply be told, it's all in your style.

Everyone has a unique style, and the way you do your stuff just makes it easier to identify which signature is yours.

Starving
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

I see. I thought she meant that most of my sigs look the exact same as the rest of them, but here's another stab at better text:

I really debated on putting her last name in it, because it didn't look right at first, but I went ahead and threw it in there anyway. So, better or worse?

Starving
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

I decided to experiment with a few ideas, i've never tried out. It completely failed D:

It's so bright @_@, but ignore the text ¬_¬

Edit: I have no clue how I forgot to put this in here!

I got frustrated somewhere down the road, and left this unfinished.

Starving
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Just small updates this time:
    Failed Sotw sig

Changed the text, and border colors, like Teed told me to D:

Removed the border as requested by so many people D: The text is still hard to see though.

Get off mah lawn! Dottie. has a reputation beyond repute Dottie. has a reputation beyond repute Dottie. has a reputation beyond repute Dottie. has a reputation beyond repute Dottie. has a reputation beyond repute Dottie. has a reputation beyond repute Dottie. has a reputation beyond repute Dottie. has a reputation beyond repute Dottie. has a reputation beyond repute Dottie. has a reputation beyond repute Dottie. has a reputation beyond repute Dottie.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Woot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-13-2014 07:39 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BettyRuthless

I don't know why but I have a hard time reading your text.
    Maybe up the opacity just a little bit?
    Also try experimenting with things, like borders, you dont always have to have a 1pixel border. You can go thicker, have it thick on one side, have it thick on the top and bottom to get a widescreen type effect..
    And I can also see for most of your signature you choose colours from the extraction, and use them in your background/effects etc. This is good for learning, but when you get better you should try using like contrasting colours or other colours that don't necessarily come from the extraction. I'd advise you to get a colour wheel, just google it, cause that can help a lot also.
    I don't know if people agree with me on this so just take it as directional advice.

But from what I can see, your improving. Which is good :3
    Last edited by Dottie.; 08-15-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Starving
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

I have no idea how I didn't see that post, but my brother said the same thing about the colors, and borders. With the colors, I try and make them match the render, so I don't end up with two horribly contrasting colors (like green and purple). I'm usually just a little sacred to try out a new or weird border, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to try it. My next few sigs will probably be experimental ones, but here are some sigs I made before I read that post:

v1.

v2.

And

I followed tutorials on all of these, but made minor changes to make it look better. The sonic ones were a bit heavy on C4D's so I left a few out (and it still looks like it relies too heavily on them D.
    Comments and such as usual...

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

The Sonic tag is actually really good.
    The typography is REALLY good considering how you did in your other tags.

The thing that REALLY bothers me though is that you never seem to erase the effects off the face. If anything, that should be the most important thing to remember. Effects all over the face is just something that really bugs me.

Starving
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

One without as many effects on the face, better?

Edit: I forgot to add this one:

I tried a completely different style, but I got horribly frustrated with the text, so I didn't throw any in it D: if anyone wants the psd, it's here. lemme know if you can do the text some justice D:

A complete experiment:

Kinda blurry....Now that I look at it, I think I should've erased some of the effects by his gun D:
    Last edited by FlashD; 08-19-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Don't double post, use the EDIT button or respect the 2 days delay

Starving
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

I think imma have to take a break soon. I'm running out of ideas D: but here is another experiment:
    v1.

v2:
    I like v2 better by a mile, but Just a lot of smudging in these.

Also:

I made a few minor changes to it, and added some terrible text. These experiments are fun, but I think i've run out of ideas D:

Junior Member Kelisidina is on a distinguished road Kelisidina's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2009 07:51 PM
    Threads

1st: The face shot on the left is kind of out of place, maybe that could have been incorporated better. The effects are nice, I just think the stock could have been blended in more.
    2nd: Effects are nice, but he could have been blended in better and the text font doesn't really match.
    3rd: Simple, not bad, I just think more brushes could be added to it but the mood and style connected well ^^

Closed Thread

Thread Information