AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: American Football - I wanna understand the game

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2010 09:49 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default American Football - I wanna understand the game

I just finished watching "Remember The Titans" (Is the movie accurate to anyone who has seen it?) and I'm curious to find out more about it. How is the game played? What r the rules? that sort of stuff. I'd luv it if anyone could help me understand.
    On note, I'm an Aussie.

~Thanks to Paprika for the awesome sig. ~

Senior Member Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2011 12:14 PM
    Threads

Kinda complicated I guess...

As summarized as possible I guess it's like...

Two teams, a coin flip decides who's offense and defense first. The defensive team kicks the ball to the offensive team at the other end of the field who then attempt to run the ball to the defensive teams "endzone". When the player who has the ball is tackled it counts as one down. Offense then snaps the ball to the quarterback who throws it to receivers down the field who try and catch the ball while being blocked by the defensive players. If offense catches the ball past a certain point their downs get reset and it's back to a first down. After 4 downs from the offensive team, if a touchdown is not made, the offense gives up the ball to the defense and they become the offense. If there is a touchdown (the ball is run into, or caught in the other team's endzone) then they score 6 points. An extra point for kicking a field goal is awarded if they make the field goal. It's late and I'm tired and you're prolly more confused than before and I've probably missed major points of the game of football but that's kind of how it works.
    All The Ways You Wish Could Be? That's me

This title does nothing. Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay has a reputation beyond repute Khanxay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts 133 - Eevee 025 - Pikachu Dice
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2010 03:23 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by tenzo_groupie View Post
    I just finished watching "Remember The Titans"
    Sunshine!!!

This signature contains nothing.

Nothing last updated:
    March Nothing, '09

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    Threads

Bunch of guys in tights get together and create two teams. They all fight over a ball and take it to the other side by man handling each other. If one guy takes it to the other side, the team gets 6 points and then the team can do a kick into the field goal to get one extra point.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well here I'll talk a little bit about what really makes American football different from the other major sports.

The key difference in my opinion is that there is actually a lot of thinking and tactics in American football.

The players on the field aren't just arranged randomly or where they think they should be.

On both the defensive and offence they are in a certain formation based on what the coaches have decided is best based on the current situation and what they think the other team will do.

Additionally both sides will have a play in mind, each player on both sides has stuff they're supposed to do at certain times. Sometimes this can be fairly elaborate, and often plays on deception.

Anyway for discusion here's the basic positions.

And since it comes up here are the "gaps" refering to the spaces between defenders

An example of a play would be, um, a Trap. Here a member of the defensive line is made to think that they're weakly blocked or unblocked and thus able to get at the quarterback (who starts off with the ball). But in reality someone from the other side of the offensive line has abandond their position and is coming around to nail the free defensive player. This should create an opening through which the ball carrier can run.

This is a specific trap play. There are many variations.

Obviously in such a situation if the defense "reads" the play correctly or suspected it was coming they'll be able to shut it down.

There are tons of different plays.

A result of this is that people who understand the game will often be discussing all these things during the game and may be yelling at the TV for the people on the defense to realize the play they think the offense is about to run. Or arguing amongst themselves on what play the coach or quarterback should have called.

The next difference is that a lot of diffirent builds are present for the different jobs. The heaviest guy may litterally weigh in at twice the weight of the lightest guy. In many sports there is a dominant build type and everybody kinda looks like that.

Next is a comment on the impacts. Rugby is a rough sport too. However it's important to note that a wide array of methods to tackle someone are banned, additionally it's unlikely that someone will get blindsided by multiple people at the same time and such. In short they need those pads. Also football players are trained for high intensity activity for short periods. In most other sports endurance is much more important. Meaning a football player of the same weight and size as a soccar player will tend to hit harder.
    Last edited by sunnyside; 10-16-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

so they have 'teams' for attack and defense?. is the quaterback like a play maker?

It certainly is different from Rugby League, it's big where I'm from.
    sounds like a interesting game. id love hear more.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

so they have 'teams' for attack and defense?. is the quaterback like a play maker?

It certainly is different from Rugby League, it's big where I'm from.
    sounds like a interesting game. id love hear more.
    They have different teams for offence, defence, and they also have "special" teams for things like kick offs. It's all about getting the right guys on the field to do the jobs that need doing. Also they need rest. Like I said, football players train to do incredible things for short periods of time. Some people may be on different teams though being on both offence and defence is rare at the highest levels of play.

The quarterback is the "star" of the offence if you will. Unless a coach calls a play the quarterback is responsible for it. And while the center starts with the ball, the first thing they do is hand it to the quarterback. So they get the ball every play, and their skill at passing is absolutely critical to the game.

On the note of coaches there are a whole slew of them off field keeping tabs on the different groups of players, always watching and trying to adapt to the other team.

Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Has there been any occasions where the ball is not handed to quaterback or does the play of the ball always 'begin' with them?

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Has there been any occasions where the ball is not handed to quaterback or does the play of the ball always 'begin' with them?
    Always QB, unless it's a punt.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Step one: Convince two lines of 300 lbs men to ram into each other as hard as they can (it's not that hard to do).
    Step two: Repeat until satisfied.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

HTC love MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2009 12:42 AM
    Threads

Since TenHD has been playing the games on Monday and Tuesday mornings, I've been watching them. I love the strategic elements but frown at the "protection". Seriously it only makes for more injuries as we can run harder at each other.

The other thing TenHD has been airing is the highlights of the Nationwide and Sprint series of Nascar. It's been great.

I'm liking my extra sport injection.

Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
    Since TenHD has been playing the games on Monday and Tuesday mornings, I've been watching them. I love the strategic elements but frown at the "protection". Seriously it only makes for more injuries as we can run harder at each other.
    TenHD in QLD is showing games Lucky.
    I'm from NSW, and all we get on TenHD is scenery from around our state.

Anyway, back to reason why i started this thread. when a 'touch down' whatever is it, is scored, how do they start play again?

Closed Thread

Thread Information