AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Please. Expert Anime Viewer's Advice Needed.

Junior Member dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-01-2008 09:34 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Please. Expert Anime Viewer's Advice Needed.

Hello. My name is Dane. "Hiiii Dane" I've been sober for three months. *applauds*

Seriously though. I could use some help. My alcohol addiction is fine, but my ANIME addiction is runnin' rancid!

My question? I need some GOOD advice on some animes to watch. I am no new viewer to anime. I've watched my share. So. To give you an idea of what I have **completely** watched, here is a (hopefully) short list:
    -FMA
    -FLCL
    -Evangelion the MOVIE and the series
    -Onegai Teacher
    -Bleach (only first 50 episodes)
    -Love Hina (most)
    - DBZ
    - Trigun (Started recently)
    - Last Exile
    -Full Metal Panic!
    - Bandit King
    - ./hack sign (Twilight)
    -Final Fantasy (advent child movie and part of one of the series)
    -Chobits
    -Papuwa
    -Elfin Lied
    -Nadeisco
    -RahXephon

**********Edit::: This list has been updated as more names and such have come to mind. =] Thanks for all the help.

Please. If you are a serious anime lover and have watched a very GRAND amount, could you reccomend something for me? I prefer animes that actually have STUFF HAPPEN. I'm sick of the typical DBZ "filler episodes" and storylines where NOTHING happens for 10 episodes. Or like in Bleach where only ONE guy dies. Or in DBZ where it takes three episodes to send off a kamehameha wave. I want an anime that has action and deep story. Hell. A psychological thriller hero type would be nice. Please. Something not average or able to be predicted.

Sorry for asking, I am sure this thread has been posted a thousand times over. I tried googling "Best Anime Series Reviews" And things alike to that. My results were few and far between. I then decided to go to a place where I thought some SERIOUS anime fanatics might be. Here.

So please. Help me out. Prove me wrong when I think there is no hope of asking a forum community for some great series. I have my bottle of scotch next to me and it'll be a lonnnnnng night if I can't spend it watching a great series. =]

Thanks, Good night, and Good luck.

-Dane
    Last edited by dvp2361; 10-01-2008 at 02:49 PM.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Check out Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and Code Geass.

Both are very action-packed, and just recently released in the U.S. I'd say check out Gurren Lagann. It takes 3 episodes to pick up, but once it does, the good times just don't stop.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'll give you some of the best I've ever seen.

Angel Cop
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Cop

Twilight of the Dark Master
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twiligh...he_Dark_Master

Dojin Work
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dojin_Work

Senior Member BoiledFart has a reputation beyond repute BoiledFart has a reputation beyond repute BoiledFart has a reputation beyond repute BoiledFart has a reputation beyond repute BoiledFart has a reputation beyond repute BoiledFart has a reputation beyond repute BoiledFart has a reputation beyond repute BoiledFart has a reputation beyond repute BoiledFart has a reputation beyond repute BoiledFart has a reputation beyond repute BoiledFart has a reputation beyond repute BoiledFart's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2008 04:16 AM
    Threads

Elfen lied pretty awesome if you dont mind violence.
    Also Afro Samurai is absoulotly epic i thought so watch that, same thing as long as you dont mind violence

Senior Member The Nightingale has a reputation beyond repute The Nightingale has a reputation beyond repute The Nightingale has a reputation beyond repute The Nightingale has a reputation beyond repute The Nightingale has a reputation beyond repute The Nightingale has a reputation beyond repute The Nightingale has a reputation beyond repute The Nightingale has a reputation beyond repute The Nightingale has a reputation beyond repute The Nightingale has a reputation beyond repute The Nightingale has a reputation beyond repute The Nightingale's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Systems N64 Kawaii Ice Cream Cone Cookie
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-25-2019 12:51 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Karawr831 PSN ID: Karawr831 XFIRE ID: midnightdreams Steam ID: karawr831

Well it depends on what kind you are looking for.
    I'll just suggest all kinds haha =D

-Vampire Knight - Vampires, and very good story, good characters
    -Trinity Blood - Vampires, whats better then that?
    -Elfen Lied - A very bloody complicated plot
    -Ouran High School Host Club - Comedy
    -School Rumble - It's alittle...strange...Romantic Comedy
    -RomeoXJuliet - Anime adaptation of it, but way better in so many ways
    -Fruits Basket - My favorite, comedy.
    -InuYasha - How can you have not seen it?!?
    -Blood+ - Never really got into it, but you might
    -Lucky Star - It's so damn cute!
    -Strawberry Marshmallow - Another cute one
    -The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Very funny =D
    -Kanon - My friend suggested this so IDK what its about lawl
    -Ninja Nonsense - Just so stupid you have to laugh
    -Karas (Actually a movie but really good, if you can understand it)
    -Kodocha - another cute anime, abotu a child star
    -Negima - Have not seen much episdoes but from what I did see its good.
    -Black Cat - It's good
    -Spiral - I LOVED this, only saw 10 episodes but I was inlove with it

Wow I hope you find something you like in that list XDD

I'll add more once I can think of there names hehe.

"For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul." - Judy Garland

Archmage Evelyn Nightingale, Guardian of the North, at your service.

Formally known as Vanilla Kiss.

The Rogue... Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2009 05:05 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by dvp2361 View Post
    A psychological thriller hero type would be nice. Please. Something not average or able to be predicted.

First of all,welcome to my world...
    Psychological anime is something I'm almost expert in,so I believe you'll find these more than good,if you're really into that type...
    I'll quote my post in other thread,so check these out if you'd like...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamashimura View Post

~ No.1 - Monster (best I've seen so far...one of rare ones that are running on the edge of reality,showing things that can actually happen in real life,with superb plot and psychological tension)
    ~ No.2 - Gilgamesh (Another masterpiece that requires understanding,and actual thinking if you're into understanding even the meaning of it)
    ~ No.3 - Ergo Proxy (Great piece of art with psychological story that you just can't sit and watch mindlessly)
    ~ No.4 - RahXephon (despite of it's appereance,it's one of the greatest anime I've ever saw,I wached it few times allready,and everytime I've discovered something new...every NGE fan will like this one too)
    ~ No.5 - Neon Genesis Evangelion (geez...do I have to say any more...?)
    ~ No.6 - Earth Girl Arjuna (one of the greatest shows I've seen,involving absolutely everything in it,very mind-raping one)
    ~ No.7 - Wolf's Rain
    ~ No.8 - X
    ~ No.9 - Serial Experiments Lain (heavy thought-provoking masterpiece)
    ~ No.10 - Death Note

Add on to that list would go to Ghost in the Shell,instead of Death Note,especially serials,Standalone Complex 1st and 2nd GIG...each of these provides psycological intrigue on the almost highest levels possible...

There...this is it,I suppose...
    Hopefully,this will help..few of them are with a heroes in there,and believe my words ~ psychology and though-provoking-mind-rape inside of these is enormous...And as you wished,they are not predictable...

Note: I don't really care for mech animes. They seem to be.... bleh. =/ Very.. unoriginal.
    I have stated Neon Genesis Evangelion and RahXephon there,they are mostly mecha based anime,but believe me,they are worth watching...Especially when you realize what is the story about,I was like - wtf..?!OMG I love this sh*t...
    Basically,later in the show you'll realize that the plot isn't spinning around the mecha's,rather on...well,not to spoil,check it out if you want...For the record,my advice is RahXephon first,then NGE...Oh,oh,and do NOT watch Evangelion movie...

Last edited by Hamashimura; 10-01-2008 at 07:56 AM.
    ...a gift from Balance...the legend itself...

~ click the button,I dare you ~

Junior Member Wex is on a distinguished road Wex's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-03-2008 06:37 AM
    Threads

Except one anime I can't remember the name of.. but it involved a "born of right" pilot who wanted to be a chef. And... I think it started with an "n". =P
    That's Nadesico. Probably.

As for some others:

Death Note - for the budding evil-genius
    Claymore - for the anyone-can-die situation
    Gantz - for the anyone-will-die situation
    Noir and Elfen Lied - for the little-girls-who-kill
    Samurai Champloo - for the swords
    One Piece - for Nami... err, I mean... for the ridiculous powers

Edit: Plus, One Piece will keep you busy for a while :P
    Last edited by Wex; 10-01-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Typo

Junior Member dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361 has much to be proud of dvp2361's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Sorry. I don't think I could truly bring myself to watch all of one piece. =P.

I think for now, I'll watch some Trigun till I decide it gets boring. Then, I'll probably watch monster or Serial Experiments Lain. hm. Who knows?

After readin the "favorite animes" thread, I found that ALOT of people like Cowboy Bebop. What the deal with it?

Senior Member sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m has a reputation beyond repute sa5m's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Ariel Fox Snowman
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-15-2019 01:15 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: pppascal

What about Death Note? People have mentioned it here already, and I second that.

Darker Than Black also.
    Wolf's Rain.
    Yep.

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

Why has no one mentioned Paranoia Agent for said psychological thriller hero? That anime made me so confused. Here's some more.

Slayers (comedic sorcerers ftw!)
    Burst Angel (action packed with slight mecha)
    Hare + Guu (FLCLish)
    Azumanga Daioh (like Onegai Teacher)
    Fruits Basket (like Chobits)
    Shuffle! (like Love Hina)

I tried to mention anime that no one else has. Isn't Spiral yaoi? Or shonen ai?

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Member WitchHunter has a reputation beyond repute WitchHunter has a reputation beyond repute WitchHunter has a reputation beyond repute WitchHunter has a reputation beyond repute WitchHunter has a reputation beyond repute WitchHunter has a reputation beyond repute WitchHunter has a reputation beyond repute WitchHunter has a reputation beyond repute WitchHunter has a reputation beyond repute WitchHunter has a reputation beyond repute WitchHunter has a reputation beyond repute WitchHunter's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-24-2009 08:33 PM
    Threads

Most of what I would suggest has already been mentioned, but you could try Chrno Crusade. And for a mix of action and comedy you could watch Ranma 1/2, but keep in mind that it's one of Rumiko Takahashi's creations, so be ready for a long series. I'll add more later if I think of anything.
    After readin the "favorite animes" thread, I found that ALOT of people like Cowboy Bebop. What the deal with it?
    Cowboy Bebop is definitely worth watching. It's set in the sort-of-near future, sometime in the 2070s I think, and follows a team of bounty hunters. I'd go into more detail, but I try not to spoil things.

Pink Baka Android 19-90 has a brilliant future Android 19-90 has a brilliant future Android 19-90 has a brilliant future Android 19-90 has a brilliant future Android 19-90 has a brilliant future Android 19-90 has a brilliant future Android 19-90 has a brilliant future Android 19-90 has a brilliant future Android 19-90 has a brilliant future Android 19-90 has a brilliant future Android 19-90 has a brilliant future Android 19-90's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-11-2009 01:30 PM
    Threads

Let's see:
    I would suggest:
    -One Piece
    -Paranoia Agent (just 15 episodes!)
    -Death Note
    -Elfien Lied
    -WitchBlade
    --------------------------------------------
    http://t999.proboards57.com/index.cgi
    (I have my own crappy forum too!)

You've Been Hit By You've Been Struck By
    A Smooth Android!

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

AH. Sorry. I forgot to mention that I have indeed watched me some Death Note. The problem is that I got bored of the CONSTANT plot twists. The "OMG Look at what I did because I am so smart and prepared." And then... "Hah! See! I am better. Look what I did? Muahahah.." And then.. "OMG! I Out did you again!"

Ugh. I might go back to watching it, problem is that my friends have turned me off from it.. telling me it got redundat. Maybe I'll just watch the RL movie and be done with it.

Cowboy bebop sounds cool. =]

OOh! Paranoia agent! The first few tiems I saw it... it was realyl freaking me out. I am considering this also. =]

Thanks again all!

The Rogue... Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura has a reputation beyond repute Hamashimura's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2009 05:05 PM
    Threads

Sorry. I don't think I could truly bring myself to watch all of one piece. =P.

I think for now, I'll watch some Trigun till I decide it gets boring. Then, I'll probably watch monster or Serial Experiments Lain. hm. Who knows?
    And you shouldn't...

Monster is definitely something that you should watch,but only if you're into psychological story with many involments of real life...
    Especially in case of Tenma and Johan (how I got it,Johan is character created under influence of Hitler's theory of perfect man - blue eyes,blue hair,nice face,cold-booded) ...
    Read this thread o' mine for more info about it...
    http://www.animeforum.com/showthread...hlight=Monster

But it's long,so if you're not a free-timer,then don't start it...it has 74 episodes...

As for Lain,that's one piece of a masterpiece...lol at that statement...
    Anyhow,having only small amount of episodes makes it sort of short,but is definitely worth watching...
    ...a gift from Balance...the legend itself...

~ click the button,I dare you ~

Closed Thread

Thread Information