AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Translation/Kanji meaning

Mystic Nocturne Bird
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Dice D20 Soras Keyblade Photoshop
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2010 10:59 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Default Translation/Kanji meaning

In English class, there was a Japanese Exchange student that did a Walt Whitman poem in Japanese, and she translated it word by word. Anyway, that was some years ago and my English teacher was wondering what it literally meant in Japanese and what it would be inferred to mean in English. So, I took the liberty to write it all down [some I couldn't see clearly, so I did my somewhat best in drawing].

The very first one, where it looks like it has シ and 車 merged into one [the very first one], I didn't know. I know the radical that looks like シ deals with water. Here's the kanji I know/a link I can form with each one:

0) Fogot to put this at the top x.x シ+車 I'm thinking a vehicle that travels on water, like a ship, or boat. >_> Could be wrong. (Tomorrow I'll ask the teacher which poem this was from)
    1) 毎 = mai, like in 毎日 so シ+毎=something that deals with water a lot, maybe. I could be wrong.
    2) 行 = i, like in 行きます so I'm thinking it deals with traveling. Like sailing, or rowing...or something ._.
    3) 足 = ashi as in foot. I've heard 足あとが somewhere, but I don't know where. I just know what ashi means.
    4) 日 = bi when alone, nichi when with something, if I'm right. So in the 10th line, day...I think, once again!
    5) 弓 = hiku/hikeru? I just looked it up in my dictionary. Most likely I wrote it wrong because to me it just looks like boxy lines with an added line to the right.
    6) Natsuko Kashigawa, in general terms, would that be 菓子側・夏子 (something...Summer Child?) <-not needed, really...

I know, this is very annoying. Also, this isn't needed at all, but merely something that I think the teacher would like.

Last edited by Chocobo; 09-23-2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: オ・マ・ガード! Forgotten the image x.x

With A Tip Of My Hat ///////// I Bid You Farewell

Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

You haven't stated what exactly it is you want us to do with this, but I'm going to assume you want a translation.

Natsuko Kashigawa, in general terms, would that be 菓子側・夏子 (something...Summer Child?) <-not needed, really...
    It's almost certainly a name, from what I can infer from the name of the student in question.

Also, the first kanji is an incorrect form of 「潮」 (tide).

潮の満ち引き

潮が満ちて、引いてく
    暗がりの夕方。海岸は湿気と茶色
    旅行者は町の方に急ぎ
    潮は満ちて、引いてく。

屋根と足あとと[indecipherable]の空一面は暗く、
    だけど海は、少し波がやわらかく[ゆれ? I can't tell]
    足あとは消えていく
    満ちて、引いてく。

潮は馬の足踏みといななき、
    日は戻って、だけど旅行者は海岸に戻ってこない
    そして、潮は満ちて引いていく。

The Rising and Falling of the Tide

The tide rises, and falls
    A dark evening. The beach is moist and brown.
    The traveler hurries towards the town,
    and the tide rises, and falls.

The roof and footprints and the whole sky [indecipherable] is dark
    But the waves of the sea [rock] gently
    The footprints beging to disappear
    Rise, and fall.

The tide is a horse's footfall and cry
    The day returns, but the traveler does not return to the beach
    and the tide rises, and falls.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Mystic Nocturne Bird
    Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Yeah, as stated in the title. Forgot please, I guess. Sorry.

As for the kanji being wrong, I'm sorry. I simply wrote it from sight from the posterboard in the classroom. I rewrote the indecipherable kanji. It's bigger and orange.

Mystic Nocturne Bird
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

I didn't have time to relook at the poster, but some that look similar to the one above are 土 + �� or 屎. The first one looks most similar, but I can't find any site that can translate it--my dictionary is, I guess you can say "starters" edition, so it doesn't have a lot in it.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    Sparkie is a jewel in the rough Sparkie is a jewel in the rough Sparkie is a jewel in the rough Sparkie is a jewel in the rough Sparkie's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2009 06:50 AM
    Threads

Having a look at the original English poem, the character is probably 塀, meaning walls. The poem is by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow btw.

Mystic Nocturne Bird
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Ah, thank you. We're having a slew of poems alternating from Whitman and Wadsworth this month. I'm thinking that she [Natsuko] made a mistake, and just wrote in the correct way in a sloppy manor out to the side instead of correcting the kanji as a whole.

Closed Thread

Thread Information