AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Question about 戦う and more

Junior Member LucasKane is on a distinguished road LucasKane's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-18-2008 04:35 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Question about 戦う and more

Hi all. First time poster here . I've been trying to study Japanese for a little bit, and I am hoping that you guys can help me out. Now before I ask, I am thinking that I could simply just ask what the sentence is in Japanese, but I'm trying to study the grammar and fit the pieces together. I might be trying to get ahead of myself here a little bit, so pardon me if some of these don't make sense, and any nudge in the right direction is greatly appreciated .

For the word 戦う, I know it means to fight. I was wondering if that word can be used figuratively, as in to fight for one's love, to fight depression, etc. If not, what would be a good word to use for the two examples?

I would also like to know how I would say "to fight back". After looking at dictionaries and what not, 抵抗する seems like the closest one to me, but it means to resist. I was wondering if that would be appropriate to mean "to fight back".

Assuming that the above was correct, I was wondering if "the will to fight back" could be 抵抗の意志.

Also, I've been told that 。。を奮い立たせる means to summon something like strength. Now assuming the above few things were correct, would it be right to say 抵抗の意志を奮い立たせる to mean "summoning the will to fight back"?

Finally, I was wondering if I can change the end to a -te kokoromiru at the end to make 抵抗の意志を奮い立たせて試みる "trying to summon the will to fight back". I've been told that just doing -te miru ending also means to try to do something. I was wondering if the above -te kokoromiru could be replaced by -te miru to mean the same thing. If not, which one is more appropriate? And what's the difference between the two?

And if that sentence made no sense at all or seemed awkward, what would be a good way to say ""trying to summon the will to fight back"?

Thank you all in advance!

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    wendymidorichan is on a distinguished road wendymidorichan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-09-2011 01:48 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Well, I don't want to translate anything from English to Japanese, but i will translate from Japanese to English, so I will offer you what I researched on the Japanese you offered.

抵抗する means 'to resist' as in resistance of a temperature or element such as electricity or wind and 'to rebel' as in against a law or people, such as the French Rebellion.

意志 means 'will' or 'intent' as in to do something freely such as making a decision.

奮い立たせる means to cheer up, but 奮い起こす means to muster something such as strength or courage.

試みる means to attempt or try as in a match, test, or tryout. 抵抗を試みる would mean to offer resistance as in a rebellion.

So, if you read all that, you will see that none of that would make sense for ""trying to summon the will to fight back". Sorry, I hope that helps.

Closed Thread

Thread Information