AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: A couple of questions...

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2011 04:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default A couple of questions...

Me again with my random questions xD
    I'm sorry for bugging you all so much!

Here we go~

What is the meaning of 「もん」 at the end of a sentence?
    Example: 「恋愛とか愛するとか好きとかもう無理ですもん」
    I understand the sentence but I just don't know why 「もん」 is there. Is it just like 「よ」 in the sense that it doesn't mean anything and just gives a different kind of emphasis or something?

What's 「チョリース」?
    Example: 「チョリース!!でいきますよ!」
    A girl kept saying it in this video I was watching... perhaps it's just her catchphrase or something? xD

This sentence:
    「1つ気付いたんですけど。。。このゲーム向いてるかもしれない」
    What? "One thing I noticed... ?"
    According to jisho.org, 「向く」 means "1: to face; 2: to turn toward; 3: to be suited to; to be fit for".
    Perhaps he's saying that someone might be well-suited to the game they are playing?

All of the above sentences I got from - someone posted this on another thread. 「愛してるゲーム」... sounds fun xD

Two more questions...

Why when I see Japanese people around the internet is there always lots of 'w's in their messages? Is it like 'lol' or 'xD' or something? =p

Aaand:
    はこれは自明のことと思う。」
    Shouldn't there be a 「だ」 after 「こと」? And can you use the same particle twice in one sentence like that?

... whups this post is wordier than I wanted it to be =(

Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2010 08:18 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

OK, let's start at the top:

1) もん, I believe, is just a style of speaking. From what I can gather from manga, it's like a weaker form of よ. That's a complete guess, though.

2) チョリース is not in my dictionary. From that, I would presume it's a catchphrase or proper noun.

3) I have no idea about the sentence you wrote out, but from a brief glance, I would agree with you.

4) I have no idea about the "w", but I noticed that too XD I think it's kinda like a smiley face. The Japanese equivalent of "lol" is 「笑」, the Kanji for "to laugh".

5) That sentence is quite obviously spoken, not written. It is so grammatically incorrect it's not even funny. However, in spoken Japanese (and informal written Japanese), grammar tends to be thrown to the wind a lot, even more than in English, so it's OK. Here are a few ways grammar is thrown to the wind in Japanese:

1) Missing だ at the end of a sentence or clause
    2) Using は instead of が in a subclause
    3) Leaving は out of the sentence when it should be there
    4) Leaving に or へ out of movement sentences (sentences using the verbs 行く, 来る, 帰る, and similar verbs).

Basically, as long as you don't use the *wrong* particle, I've found you can pretty much do what you like. If you're making a particularly complex sentence, though, you should use as many particles as possible so the other person understands what you're talking about. But a sentence like 僕行く ("I'm going") is a perfectly acceptable sentence in spoken Japanese.
    日本語をならっている。 まちがえれば、おねがい知らせてください~!

Quote Originally Posted by Paraphrased from LavaBug
    I remember that day 'cause it's Sailor Mercury's birthday...or is it my mom's?

Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Aha, thank you!

5) I'm beginning to distrust the WWWJDIC o_O
    So the proper sentence would perhaps be 「私はこれが自明だと思う」? (Personally wouldn't bother with the 私は but jus' trying to correct -that- sentence.)
    I definitely need to do some more learnin' into the whole は/が thing ;D

I only wish I had the ability to write complex sentences xD;

Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Anyaaa View Post
    Aha, thank you!

5) I'm beginning to distrust the WWWJDIC o_O
    So the proper sentence would perhaps be 「私はこれが自明だと思う」? (Personally wouldn't bother with the 私は but jus' trying to correct -that- sentence.)
    I definitely need to do some more learnin' into the whole は/が thing ;D

I only wish I had the ability to write complex sentences xD;
    Actually I think the こと is important. The way I understand it is that こと is roughly equivalent to the English "about". I don't quite know what it's doing here, but I think it's probably necessary.

Resident Japanese Girl
    suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2014 01:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Since I posted that video I suppose I should answer some of these questions too, huh? =P

I understand the sentence but I just don't know why 「もん」 is there. Is it just like 「よ」 in the sense that it doesn't mean anything and just gives a different kind of emphasis or something?
    The 「もん」 at the end of the sentence doesn't really mean anything. I believe it to be just a figurative of speech. Of course, there probably is a whole, long, complicated theory why people use 「もん」 but unfortunately, I do not know it.

What's 「チョリース」?
    A girl kept saying it in this video I was watching... perhaps it's just her catchphrase or something? xD
    I'm really sorry, but I don't know what this means either... I don't even know if she was the first to use it.
    Some people say that she was the first. Other people say that it was a term used by the Johnny's boys as a greeting or a salutation. But, I don't know.

This sentence:
    According to jisho.org, 「向く」 means "1: to face; 2: to turn toward; 3: to be suited to; to be fit for".
    Perhaps he's saying that someone might be well-suited to the game they are playing?
    In that sentence, it would be 3: to be suited to; to be fit for.
    He said; "I noticed something... I think I'm suited for this game (i.e. I think I'm good at this game)"

Why when I see Japanese people around the internet is there always lots of 'w's in their messages? Is it like 'lol' or 'xD' or something? =p

I have no idea about that too. I don't really visit chat sites, seeing as how I can't understand chatspeak. >_<

And Ertai explained that last one perfectly.
    ELPHABA LIVES!!

Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

>What is the meaning of 「もん」 at the end of a sentence?
    It's an abbrhreviation of 「~だもの」. As people have said, it doesn't mean much, but if pressed, I'd say there's a slight nuance of refutation, since it's usually used with 「だって~」, i.e. 「だって女の子だもん!」

>What's 「チョリース」?
    Google Sensei turned up this:
    http://monjiro.net/dic/rank/29/81955/123

チョリース = こんにちは

Why that is I couldn't for the life of me figure out. Might be a further mangling of 「(コン)チワース」.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Resident Japanese Girl
    suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2014 01:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Datenshi View Post
    >What's 「チョリース」?
    Google Sensei turned up this:
    http://monjiro.net/dic/rank/29/81955/123

チョリース = こんにちは

Why that is I couldn't for the life of me figure out. Might be a further mangling of 「(コン)チワース」.
    And Datenshi comes to the rescue. ^^

Thank you!! I couldn't find anyone who could tell me what it meant, and it's been getting on my nerves. ありがとね~♪
    ELPHABA LIVES!!

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Ah, thank you all!

Hmmm... I suppose I shall have to do some investigation into こと.

Y'know what I love? That these Japanese shows always seem to have subtitles (in Japanese of course ;D). I wouldn't be able to understand a word if it wasn't for them xD

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Wait, you watch anime with both English and Japanese subs? :S

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Nah, what I mean is a lot of the Japanese TV programmes seem to have subtitles, even though they're aimed at Japanese people.
    Like the one Suzumi linked to in another thread,

Sometimes it's just for the funny sentences but that one in particular has everything (or nearly everything, can't remember) subbed.

Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Sometimes it's just for the funny sentences but that one in particular has everything (or nearly everything, can't remember) subbed.
    Yes, come think of it it's very different from Western shows, isn't it? I think of it as a rough equivalent of a laugh track, to let the audience know when to be amused in case they're not catching on.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2012 01:16 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Me again with my random questions xD
    I'm sorry for bugging you all so much!

Here we go~

>>>>>もん is like "because" almost... but usually only in given situation, of like excuse or explain... "I like her because she is cute" would be like から or ので but もん is like if someone said "Why do you like her?" and you said "because she is cute" as explanation... so is like "because" for explaining only? is the short of もの

What's 「チョリース」?

>>>>>You are talking of Kinoshita Yukina... She is famous Gravure Idol in Japan and everyone is saying she is おバカタレント which is like "stupid television personality" which is meaning she is famous for being dumb. I think Japan is not good at making TV anymore... it means こんにちは...

こんにちは→こんちはっす→ちはっす→チョリース is probably what kind of thought she had when she thinked it... also some people copy her... I think it is stupid...

This sentence:
    「1つ気付いたんですけど。。。このゲーム向いてるかもしれない」

All of the above sentences I got from - someone posted this on another thread. 「愛してるゲーム」... sounds fun xD

>>>>>I do not know the situation, but you are right, "I realized 1 thing... (I or you) may be suited for this game"

Two more questions...

wwwwww is like this

笑→ワラ→w and it is also referred to as "grass" when you use a lot... because it looks like glass... 「草生やすなごるぁああ!!!」 "Don't type 'wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww' so much!!!! hey!!!" is like what it means...

Aaand:
    はこれは自明のことと思う。」
    Shouldn't there be a 「だ」 after 「こと」? And can you use the same particle twice in one sentence like that?

>>>>>>> using は more than one time is ok, but it depends on the usage, and how you punction it.

... whups this post is wordier than I wanted it to be =(
    「意味分かんねぇ」が口癖
    エロゲに興味無いんだよ!(´・ω・`)mjd

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Ah, I haven't checked this place in ages, sorry!

Thank you very much, dabura!

'おバカタレント'... that's not very nice xD
    Or perhaps 'バカ' is not as strong as 'stupid'?

Haha, about the grass. That's funny wwwwwwwwww
    「草生やすなごるぁああ!!!」 is also funny.
    "Hey you, stop growing grass!" wwwww
    Just out of curiosity, why is there a ごる in there?
    wwwww
    *enjoys wwwwwwws*

Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-11-2008 12:18 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default More ちょりーす

I know everyone's probably moved on from this, but I just wanted to post what I found out from a host-sister when I asked her about ちょりーす. It provides just one more bit of information, just a fun did-you-know thing, I guess:

She says:
    I know the word ちょりーす, but I've never used it! It means こんにちは.
    The words like this are called 'しぶやご' ( Shibuya words)
    and used among teenagers living in Shibuya Tokyo!

At any rate, hope some of you found this useful! Just thought I'd add it while the thread was still....somewhat.....active....... wwww.
    「つれづれなる涙星になるまで 好きでいてもいいよね?」 - 米倉千尋

--日本語が間違えれば、知らせてお願いいたします!--

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Ah, so チョリース is like a funky teenage word?

That's cool. I must remember to speak in this way. If I -ever- actually speak in Japanese to someone o_O

Closed Thread

Thread Information