AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Tropic Thunder Protesters [The R word?!]

Senior Member Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers has a reputation beyond repute Ramona Flowers's Avatar
    Gil
    Apprehensive
    Gifts Cake Wine Hot Dog With Ketchup
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2012 08:29 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Tropic Thunder Protesters [The R word?!]

A friend told me yesterday that a friend of hers went to see Tropic Thunder and there were protesters with pictures of little autistic children on the signs. She didn't know what the movie was about so I told her and wondered if she was mistaken. Well, she wasn't. o_o

tropicthundernews

WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA) - Advocates for people with intellectual disabilities are boycotting the movie 'Tropic Thunder' which opens today, August 13.
    Dang, I guess that means most of the U.S. wont see this movie.

Outside Washington's Gallery Place movie theatre, about 50 people carried signs calling the movie 'Tropic Blunder" and wore t-shirts saying 'Rally for Respect.' They're offended by the movie's repeated use of the 'R'word and the treatment of a character named 'Simple Jack' who has an intellectual disability. The character is played by Ben Stiller who also wrote the movie.
    It's a movie within a movie that's rude and crude and makes fun of many groups, most often actors themselves. But the laughs it seeks with the portrayal of a person who has intellectual disabilities some say is full of dehumanizing hate speech.
    Peter Berns, executive director of the ARC of the U.S. says "Throughout the film, it spews venom. 'Retard', 'imbecile,' that speech is extraordinary offensive to people with disabilities and their family members.
    moretropicthundernews
    In the usual star-studded premieres, "Tropic Thunder" had to endure a semi-closed premiere atmosphere due to protesters. For many developmentally challenged American's, the "r" word is considered equal to using the "n" word. Within the film, various groups counted over 100 times the "retard" word was used. The groups in tow included Arc of The United States, the Special Olympics and the National Down Syndrome Congress.
    According to an ARC executive, "Hollywood has picked on different groups in the past and they've fought back. Now they have picked on a group that is sensitive and can't always fight back."
    So much for a sense of humor. Pretty much everyone under the age of 25 uses the word "retard" to some extent. 0___o I've been called retarded by a retard [I <3 you Ed] and I'd call him one back, he'd laugh and bring me a free cookie everyday. [the autistic classes baked the best cookies and sold them throughout the school.]

11 News
    The LA premiere of “Tropic Thunder” not only drew the movie's stars, it also attracted protesters. Special Olympics chairman Tim Shriver thinks the movie makes fun of and humiliates people with intellectual disabilities.

He and others are upset by what they say is the “tasteless” portrayal of the mentally disabled, along with the use of certain words to describe them. Protesters held up signs with slogans such as “call me by my name, not by my label.” They chanted, “ban the movie, ban the word.”

“Tropic Thunder” director and co-star Ben Stiller plays a fame-hungry actor cast in a war movie, after previously playing a role as a mentally disabled character named simple jack. Co-star Robert Downey Junior says people have a right to protest, but he also says artists have a right to say and do what they want.

A DreamWorks spokesman says “no changes or cuts to the film will be made.”

Whatcha think?

edit: Over all, I think they should get over it/ don't watch it. Forest Gump wouldn't have thrown a fit like this.
    Last edited by Ωmega; 08-16-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Senior Member Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-24-2012 05:15 AM
    Threads

I heard about this film a long time ago. It caused problems regarding Owen Wilson just after he split up with his girlfriend and tried to commit suicide. Steve Coogan (who I think is still in the film) was blamed for it in an unfair trial.
    That which is; is the truth.

Senior Member Lord Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Lord Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Lord Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Lord Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Lord Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Lord Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Lord Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Lord Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Lord Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Lord Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Lord Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Lord Fluff's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-23-2009 01:19 AM
    Threads

I know what you're talking about, when i heard the tropic thunder promotion website was taken down because it portrayed the retarded character played by Ben Stiller i was like wtf, but after seeing the movie I now know why the site was taken down. They do say the word retard a lot and when Stiller is playing the retarded character it is pretty offensive.

The thing is I understand why they protest, but I don't think they should. The thing is, movies make fun of everyone, but not everyone protests.

Gods of Death Love Apples Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-10-2012 10:56 AM
    Threads

Heres an idea.
    If they don't like it don't watch it.
    I, personally, would like to see "Tropic Blunder".
    Sig and Avatar
    by: GoodyLucky

Warcraft: Hit me up!
    Server: Skywall
    Main Toon: Phinvarra
    Alt Toons: Kazrawr and Nithilus

Forever 12. Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2013 07:01 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Finvarra View Post
    Heres an idea.
    If they don't like it don't watch it.
    They all need something to hate, or they get bored.

But, again, seriously. If it's so 'offensive', don't watch it, Jesus. No one's shoving it down the protester's throats, they shouldn't shove their idea of what's good comedy and bad comedy down our's.

They act like America's never stereotyped anything before.

What's their next sign? "I Would Rather Watch A Snuff Film."
    On this day of days, most epic and prideful, you were born 15 whole American years ago!
    Through the odds and by doing the impossible, you beat out hundreds of thousands of siblings in the great sperm race for the coveted egg.
    Probably via hax.
    Regardless! You won!
    So remember, whenever someone picks on you or calls you weak or small.
    Just remind them that you beat out a few hundred thousand other wimps.

And the grand prize was not dying!

Senior Member sadida has a reputation beyond repute sadida has a reputation beyond repute sadida has a reputation beyond repute sadida has a reputation beyond repute sadida has a reputation beyond repute sadida has a reputation beyond repute sadida has a reputation beyond repute sadida has a reputation beyond repute sadida has a reputation beyond repute sadida has a reputation beyond repute sadida has a reputation beyond repute sadida's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2008 10:20 PM
    Threads

It's called Freedom of speech - both ways.
    (^this freak rules^)--
    (no she doesn't!!)---
    (what's going on?)- --(dude...)
    (Silence, o clueless one!)

<(i'm schizo!)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Warning! Contains graphic idiocy-
    Parental Guidance strongly discouraged

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

Quote Originally Posted by Memento Mori View Post
    But, again, seriously. If it's so 'offensive', don't watch it, Jesus. No one's shoving it down the protester's throats, they shouldn't shove their idea of what's good comedy and bad comedy down our's.

They act like America's never stereotyped anything before.
    Now you know that mentality has never worked in the past. If there is something a minority group sees as offensive they go at it like a hawk. I would fully expect supporters of gay rights to rise up and protest if there came out a movie set in the future where the government has snuffed out homosexuality indefinitely, and the protagonist is an ex-gay or something. And he falls in love in the movie with a girl. Oh yeah, that would really get their blood boiling. I personally would just do as you say and not watch the movie.

But most minority group members don't see it that way, and they may be right. Even if you do not see it, other people will. And that implants seeds of discrimination in those who see it. They may not come out of the movie raving against persons with disabilities, but subconsciously they are affected. It happens to people who listen to violent music, they become desensitized. It's the same thing going on here. A lot of people make these sorts of arguments, though they hardly ever win. And I'm not saying they should. I believe in tolerance all around, even for those intolerant and closed-minded people. Which, the people in this movie aren't, they were just having fun.

I think Ben Stiller will publicly apologize for the movie, but I don't see anything more coming out of it.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 08:57 PM
    Threads

I think it's absolutely retarded that a bunch of retards get offended over the word retard. What are these retards going to freak out over next? If these retarded PC nuts have their way you won't be able to say damn near anything (let alone the word retard) without offending some poor bunch of retards.

Good on Ben Stiller for making a movie like this. I hope he doesn't apologize to any retard who got offended.

Cause that'd be retarded.

Forever 12. Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Capernicus View Post
    But most minority group members don't see it that way, and they may be right. Even if you do not see it, other people will. And that implants seeds of discrimination in those who see it. They may not come out of the movie raving against persons with disabilities, but subconsciously they are affected. It happens to people who listen to violent music, they become desensitized. It's the same thing going on here. A lot of people make these sorts of arguments, though they hardly ever win. And I'm not saying they should. I believe in tolerance all around, even for those intolerant and closed-minded people. Which, the people in this movie aren't, they were just having fun.
    I'm not going to lie to you, Cap, I honestly think anyone who blames anything, like going psycho or being offensive, on something linked to movies, music, video games, etc. was probably already nuts/offensive in the first place, and they see this as their jackpot. Something to blame it on. Not all the time, because some people are SUPER fragile and easy to break, but most of the time, yea.

The only people I believe that can get away with that excuse are... children younger than about eight.

And this movie was rated R, last time I checked.
    On this day of days, most epic and prideful, you were born 15 whole American years ago!
    Through the odds and by doing the impossible, you beat out hundreds of thousands of siblings in the great sperm race for the coveted egg.
    Probably via hax.
    Regardless! You won!

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The internet wouldn't be around if the word reatarded was boycotted.Look over the internet and that's the best insult people can come up with.

Everything is a disability lately.
    Can't get it up you have a disability
    Can't sleep you have a disability
    Can't see the diffrence between black and white you have a disability.

I HAVE A DISABILITY.that will remain disclosed.
    Last edited by Diocletian; 08-15-2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: I to a's.

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I'm not going to lie to you, Cap, I honestly think anyone who blames anything, like going psycho or being offensive, on something linked to movies, music, video games, etc. was probably already nuts/offensive in the first place, and they see this as their jackpot. Something to blame it on. Not all the time, because some people are SUPER fragile and easy to break, but most of the time, yea.

The only people I believe that can get away with that excuse are... children younger than about eight.

And this movie was rated R, last time I checked.
    It's a reality that people tend to do things that others do. Humans are communal creatures, we travel and live in "packs". That cannot be denied. And what is socially acceptable to the people around us will more than likely be embedded into our minds and be incorporated into what we believe. That is called socialization.

Example, you have some trash in your hand. Aren't you so much less likely to litter if your surroundings are spotlessly clean than if they closely resembled a garbage heap?

Another example. Notice how much easier it is for you to accept that slavery is evil and inhuman than it is for people 90 years old or more. That is because the society you have grown up in has taught you these things, and that African Americans (btw they taught you that title too) have a status and intelligence equal to those of us that are white. The elderly are so much more likely to be racist than you are.

Yet anther example. You are on this site, so you probably like anime. And, you may have noticed, that anime fans are so much less likely to be homophobic than other groups of the population. Why is that? Because protagonists in anime are sometimes gay, and they teach you that that character is not a child molester, as some officials of the Catholic religion would have you believe (certainl the 500 Club does). Also, younger people are less likely to be homophobic than older people. [Sorry to keep falling back on gay examples, but I know a lot of them]

I'm just saying, this movie has the potential to sow seeds of discrimination into the population. However, I still believe that the movie should be left alone. If everyone, including minority groups, practiced some tolerance we'd all be better for it. Malcom X outright taught young African Americans how to get beaten up and fall without hurting themselves. That is teaching tolerance to people, to not fight back.
    Last edited by Capernicus; 08-15-2008 at 05:56 PM.

EL SATANED sataned has a reputation beyond repute sataned has a reputation beyond repute sataned has a reputation beyond repute sataned has a reputation beyond repute sataned has a reputation beyond repute sataned has a reputation beyond repute sataned has a reputation beyond repute sataned has a reputation beyond repute sataned has a reputation beyond repute sataned has a reputation beyond repute sataned has a reputation beyond repute sataned's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Trollface Luna Vader
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-03-2017 03:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

oh god.... now retards are trying to protest stuff -_- damned down syndrome babys... theres been so many movies where disabilities are made fun of , but all the sudden its HORRIBLE! when a good movie does it...

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Retards don't matter. They only count as 1/4 people anyway.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    Retards don't matter. They only count as 1/4 people anyway.
    Hopefully you counted Family Guy watchers who still watch after season 4, and the folks back at Comedy Central or we're screwed.

Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Capernicus View Post
    It's a reality that people tend to do things that others do. Humans are communal creatures, we travel and live in "packs". That cannot be denied. And what is socially acceptable to the people around us will more than likely be embedded into our minds and be incorporated into what we believe. That is called socialization.

Example, you have some trash in your hand. Aren't you so much less likely to litter if your surroundings are spotlessly clean than if they closely resembled a garbage heap?

Another example. Notice how much easier it is for you to accept that slavery is evil and inhuman than it is for people 90 years old or more. That is because the society you have grown up in has taught you these things, and that African Americans (btw they taught you that title too) have a status and intelligence equal to those of us that are white. The elderly are so much more likely to be racist than you are.

Yet anther example. You are on this site, so you probably like anime. And, you may have noticed, that anime fans are so much less likely to be homophobic than other groups of the population. Why is that? Because protagonists in anime are sometimes gay, and they teach you that that character is not a child molester, as some officials of the Catholic religion would have you believe (certainl the 500 Club does). Also, younger people are less likely to be homophobic than older people. [Sorry to keep falling back on gay examples, but I know a lot of them]

I'm just saying, this movie has the potential to sow seeds of discrimination into the population. However, I still believe that the movie should be left alone. If everyone, including minority groups, practiced some tolerance we'd all be better for it. Malcom X outright taught young African Americans how to get beaten up and fall without hurting themselves. That is teaching tolerance to people, to not fight back.
    I suppose all of that is true. But consider the fact that this is just a movie, for laughs, not to be serious or teach anything to anyone. And it's for adults, not immature children who probably could not handle the humor.

Granted, a few parents will let their kid watch it sooner or later, but that would be the parent's responsibility to teach them how to behave in public after witnessing it. I mean, I watch South Park, which is for adults and for laughs, and I don't run around shouting profanity, claiming I have Tourette's or injecting one of my friend's with HIV-infected blood in their sleep.
    Probably via hax.
    Regardless! You won!

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Just proof that people are too uptight and have no sense of humor.

Retards.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

on Detonation Boulevard Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast has a reputation beyond repute Beast's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Beer Xmas Bear2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-15-2022 03:03 AM
    Threads

I heard about this whole ordeal a couple days ago. Here I am thinking, they protest this movie but they didn't protest The Ringer?

Gil
    Gay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I suppose all of that is true. But consider the fact that this is just a movie, for laughs, not to be serious or teach anything to anyone. And it's for adults, not immature children who probably could not handle the humor.

Granted, a few parents will let their kid watch it sooner or later, but that would be the parent's responsibility to teach them how to behave in public after witnessing it. I mean, I watch South Park, which is for adults and for laughs, and I don't run around shouting profanity, claiming I have Tourette's or injecting one of my friend's with HIV-infected blood in their sleep.
    Children are a lot more susceptible to what they see around them than adults are, I agree with you there. Adults tend to be much more set in their ways. I only wanted to point out the protesters' reasoning for what they're doing since no one else seemed to see it. Really, it's not that difficult. They do have their point, they just needn't be so adamant about it.

What-ho! SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-15-2009 05:11 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Beastly. View Post
    I heard about this whole ordeal a couple days ago. Here I am thinking, they protest this movie but they didn't protest The Ringer?
    That is one legend of a film

I don't usually find films that make fun (or whatever) of people with disabilities funny. If they're making fun of them directly then I won't like it. But if it's a film that involves people with disabilities and it's a funny story then I like it.

So it depends on which way the film goes as to whether I think people are over-reacting or not.

Member Hoshizorah has a reputation beyond repute Hoshizorah has a reputation beyond repute Hoshizorah has a reputation beyond repute Hoshizorah has a reputation beyond repute Hoshizorah has a reputation beyond repute Hoshizorah has a reputation beyond repute Hoshizorah has a reputation beyond repute Hoshizorah has a reputation beyond repute Hoshizorah has a reputation beyond repute Hoshizorah has a reputation beyond repute Hoshizorah has a reputation beyond repute Hoshizorah's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-20-2008 03:26 PM
    Threads

I do not even think that movie looks funny and the plotline looks dumb to me, hate to say it.
    The fact that they have to use the "r" word constantly in the movie, goes to show how they had to keep adding extra comedy that was not creative(but offending) to keep the movie from people actually not wanting to leave the theater.

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

So I went to see this movie.

Apparently, Ben Stiller plays an actor who played a retarded character in a failed movie named Simple Jack.

It is later mentioned by RDJ in blackface that the reason it failed is because Stiller's character went "Full Retard." He then went on to illustrate that as an actor, you never play a mental disability realistically because then the audience has trouble making a human connection to the character, and lists examples.

That's not offensive, that's good acting advice.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that the movie is goddamn hilarious, and Tom Cruise by and large steals the show towards the end of the movie.
    Last edited by Sanosuke23; 08-21-2008 at 12:37 AM.

im in a great dream Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2010 11:24 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: *thinks* idk

I never heard of this till now. They do have a right to be offended though. But Ben Stiller,the idiot, lol, who wrote the script... should not get SO hassled about it i don't think. People know he's an idiot that means no harm trying to get a couple laughs.

And for those disabled people that compare their 'r' word with the 'n' word... that doesn't need to be said again. <.< It's comparing an apple to an orange.

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 08:57 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshizorah View Post
    I do not even think that movie looks funny and the plotline looks dumb to me, hate to say it.
    The fact that they have to use the "r" word constantly in the movie, goes to show how they had to keep adding extra comedy that was not creative(but offending) to keep the movie from people actually not wanting to leave the theater.
    Did you see it? Because if you didn't, is it fair to be saying this?
    Last edited by Sagat; 08-20-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information