AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: How did Trunks get back?

Yoko Littner Fan Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Where
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-24-2015 02:47 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default How did Trunks get back?

One thing that always bothered me was how Trunks got back to his original time line which was ruined by the androids.
    When he traveled to the future, it should have been a future where the world had been saved by the androids.

Every time he goes into the past, he just creates a new time line rather than affecting his original future. When he went into the future, logically you'd think he'd remain in the same time line, however he goes to his original one.
    If he can pick the time line that he wants, why doesn't he go a day into the future of his time line after Gohan's defeating of Cell? This way there would probably be a good amount of people still alive and he'd be able to save. In stead he goes to a point probably days after he originally left. I don't get it.
    Last edited by Wio; 08-03-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 05:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't get how that fixed the future.Every one was dead.
    To answer your question,time can't be changed.You can't go forward or back or else your past self would deteriorate.The whole anime went bust after the Cell Saga.Nothing made sense.How was it that there were three cells.And what happened to the original Cell.The main Cell was the one that Gohan killed.In the present when Gero,17,and 18 were around there should have been one left.How did Cell die if he was a cyborg?I made it more confusing I apologize.

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 09:57 PM
    Threads

I remember Trunks saying something to the effect of being unable to change a the time line, or that it is too late for his, and that his and Bulmas idea to travel back was to create a time line free of the androids and with peace.

Of course he then realizes he fractures the time line and creates a third while altering the main but hey it all worked out in the end anyhow. He defeats the androids in his time line, the normal DBZ timeline has their threat ended, and although in the third time line, Trunks is killed by Cell (who gets killed in the regular time line) 17 and 18 are also dead.

So regardless of how things unfold, in all three time lines the androids are beaten and the world safe, which was the general goal anyhow.

███ ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-07-2008 09:45 AM
    Threads

You have to remember that he was very close to Bulma. (his mother) So yes, he could have gone to another time line where all was peachy, but he would be leaving his mother behind.

If you think about it. If Trunks never went back in time to save Goku, GT would never have been possible. So I am not so sure he saved anything.
    ████████████

Senior Member TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-29-2014 12:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Parugin

Time travel is just a shameless plot device. It happened that way simply because Toriyama wished it to be so. There's no good, in-universe reason why it must have worked the way it did.
    Trunks's attachment to his mother is the only good in-story explanation here and it might explain events had Trunks not said that the way it happened was the only way it could happen. This implies that it was not a choice to return to the timeline that he knew, but an unavoidably necessity, the way it had to be done. Something made it impossible to move about time in another fashion. Given the speed of their spacecraft, though, he could have chosen to fly 'round at a near the speed of light for a decade or two (slowing time's passage from his perspective), but he'd be just as well off to live without delay in our timeline.

In any case, the time travel depicted is the same bizarre crap that Star Trek uses all the time, the multiple universe garbage. It creates or introduces paradoxes, plot holes, continuity foul-ups, pseudoscince and a whole mess of confusion that can't be analyzed reasonably. Most, if not all, attempts to explore or explain such happenings won't get you far.
    Last edited by TheAsterisk!; 08-10-2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: a b c d e f g...
    Puppy Linux || Get it right. ||

If you would like to seek unification with my dynasty, simply plant the flag of the Central Asterikan Republic into your signature to join in the glory that is TheAsterism!

Senior Member xXdark_angel_nekoXx has a reputation beyond repute xXdark_angel_nekoXx has a reputation beyond repute xXdark_angel_nekoXx has a reputation beyond repute xXdark_angel_nekoXx has a reputation beyond repute xXdark_angel_nekoXx has a reputation beyond repute xXdark_angel_nekoXx has a reputation beyond repute xXdark_angel_nekoXx has a reputation beyond repute xXdark_angel_nekoXx has a reputation beyond repute xXdark_angel_nekoXx has a reputation beyond repute xXdark_angel_nekoXx has a reputation beyond repute xXdark_angel_nekoXx has a reputation beyond repute xXdark_angel_nekoXx's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-06-2008 11:16 AM
    Threads

well to the answer the qussetion about how he got back to his time if the androids destroyed the time machime pod that he used.....

well yes you are right that he was closed to his mother (Bulma), so her and her father bulit an new one for him to use.

that is how he got back to his time.

Senior Member TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by xXdark_angel_nekoXx View Post
    well to the answer the qussetion about how he got back to his time if the androids destroyed the time machime pod that he used...

well yes you are right that he was closed to his mother (Bulma), so her and her father bulit an new one for him to use.

What are you talking about? Who made that claim?
    As I remember it, no time machines were actually destroyed. Trunks used one and Cell used one. In our own time nothing resembling a time machine was built. That accounts for all three timelines' machines.
    Last edited by TheAsterisk!; 08-10-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: ...pretty colors...

If you would like to seek unification with my dynasty, simply plant the flag of the Central Asterikan Republic into your signature to join in the glory that is TheAsterism!

███ ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by xXdark_angel_nekoXx View Post
    well to the answer the qussetion about how he got back to his time if the androids destroyed the time machime pod that he used.....

lol wut?

Vegeta wouldn't have built anything. Bulma was no way near advanced enough in the present time to build a time machine. This is clearly stated in the series, so it's probably best that you pay attention to what you are watching in the future.
    ████████████

Yoko Littner Fan Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Where
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Wow guys. Seriously, I'm disappointed in you. What I said completely flew over your heads, even the heads of the smarter ones.

It wasn't a question of Trunks reasoning, that has nothing to do with it. It is a question of possibility.

Okay, let me try this again....
    Code:
    P = past, F = future

It was stated that it would be impossible to save the original timeline.  This is because traveling back in time would create a new timeline

P<<<<F     <--- original time line

This is impossible, instead the following happens:

P----F     <--- original time line
         V
    P<<<<V     <--- new time line that story follows.

Now, if he goes into the future, this is what should happen:

P>>>>F     <--- new time line that story follows

He should be in a future that Gohan has already saved, some time around the GT arc or after.

This is what happens though:

^
    P>>>>^     <--- new time line that story follows
    There is a huge difference between creating a new time line, shown by the V, and reentering an old time line, shown by ^. My point is that it should be impossible for Trunks to reenter his old time line. If such were really possible, then Bulma would be wrong to say that they couldn't save their own time line... unless there was some other reason I don't know about.

Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsterisk! View Post
    Time travel is just a shameless plot device. It happened that way simply because Toriyama wished it to be so. There's no good, in-universe reason why it must [or should] have worked the way it did.
    There you go.
    Why so worried about logic now? ETs and humans produce fertile offspring in this cartoon, for goodness' sake.
    And who are you (or we, or anyone else) to say what's impossible in a world with teleportation at superluminal speeds, telepathy and magical dragons?
    This was done merely to keep the story tidy, to appease our unrealistic convention of linear plots in fiction. Two Trunks in one time would bite, anyway, and Trunks's absence from his own time destroyed science and reason the instant he left. Unless there was a trade between the timelines to equal Trunks's mass & energy (think of it as keeping things balanced or even), it's bullcrap right away.
    Yes, if it were realistic, then he would just hang around in the main timeline. But, as should be obvious, DB(Z)(GT) is anything but realistic.

I will take issue with your insistence that Trunks created another timeline, though. I'd say that nothing was altered. The timeline we normally see was never changed, but guided based on Trunks's experiences in a relatively similar one. This is how it's always been. Nothing was altered, because it happened in real time. His timeline didn't change, either. He just vanished for a while. Cell's timeline always existed, too, and he found a way to travel to the main line. All these timelines exist(ed) as they are/were, but just didn't interact until then. There are probably more timelines yet that have not affected the one we wacth (and so we don't know about them).
    Last edited by TheAsterisk!; 08-12-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Wio, the majority of us did understand what you were asking. But we were responding to what other ludicrous things were mentioned in this thread.

I don't have an answer. I guess the time lines don't intertwine with each other.
    ████████████

Gil
    My Mood
    Where
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsterisk! View Post
    Why so worried about logic now? ETs and humans produce fertile offspring in this cartoon, for goodness' sake.
    And who are you (or we, or anyone else) to say what's impossible in a world with teleportation at superluminal speeds, telepathy and magical dragons?
    When you give a world a set of rules and break those rules, it's called a plot hole. Authors tend to avoid those things.

I will take issue with your insistence that Trunks created another timeline, though. I'd say that nothing was altered. The timeline we normally see was never changed, but guided based on Trunks's experiences in a relatively similar one. This is how it's always been. Nothing was altered, because it happened in real time. His timeline didn't change, either. He just vanished for a while. Cell's timeline always existed, too, and he found a way to travel to the main line. All these timelines exist(ed) as they are/were, but just didn't interact until then. There are probably more timelines yet that have not affected the one we wacth (and so we don't know about them).
    You'd have to elaborate more on your theory.

It sounds like you're suggesting that there are an infinite amout of timelines, each seperated by an infinitecimal amount of time. Trunks simply traveled to a timeline that was many years away as opposed to going back in time.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    When you give a world a set of rules and break those rules, it's called a plot hole. Authors tend to avoid those things.

If there was anything we learned from Dragonball Z is that they weren't worried about loop holes, otherwise they would have put more effort into making the movies fit in with the story of the series.
    ████████████

Gil
    My Mood
    Where
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous Feind View Post
    If there was anything we learned from Dragonball Z is that they weren't worried about loop holes, otherwise they would have put more effort into making the movies fit in with the story of the series.
    The movies weren't cannon. It has to be labeled as "cannon" to challenge continuity. Future Trunks' saga was cannon.

Though, you make a point.

Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

First things first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    The movies weren't cannon. It has to be labeled as "cannon" to challenge continuity. Future Trunks' saga was cannon.
    Though, you make a point.
    "Cannon" => Blackbeard is aiming at your ship. Flee.
    "Canon" => cameras and official continuity

When was such a rule introduced? As far as I can tell, the series never followed logic or science. Trunks said all along that he couldn't change his own time. The fact that he returned to his own timeline (or just one very similar to it, like what happens in Star Trek) means nothing, even if it should be impossible. If we're going to worry about this any longer, you need to embrace suspension of disbelief; if it was observed, it happened, and must then be possible. Please elaborate and give specific examples (quotes, page numbers, Toriyama's word, etc.) if you really think continuity was assaulted.
    You'd have to elaborate more on your theory.
    It sounds like you're suggesting that there are an infinite amout of timelines, each seperated by an infinitecimal amount of time. Trunks simply traveled to a timeline that was many years away as opposed to going back in time.
    There are always parallel timelines. Trunks commuted from one to another. Nothing changed in any of the timelines because everything happened in each timeline's present. Thi is not to say everything happens at the same time, but that never did anyone backtrack within a single tiemline. Everything still moved forward in the (at least three) timelnes if evaluated as individual "worlds." Trunks never travelled back in time in any world, but instead moved between them.
    Does it make sense now? If not, I'll try to explain again, but I don't think there's too many ways I can phrase this.
    Last edited by TheAsterisk!; 08-17-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Senior Member Mysti Queen has a reputation beyond repute Mysti Queen has a reputation beyond repute Mysti Queen has a reputation beyond repute Mysti Queen has a reputation beyond repute Mysti Queen has a reputation beyond repute Mysti Queen has a reputation beyond repute Mysti Queen has a reputation beyond repute Mysti Queen has a reputation beyond repute Mysti Queen has a reputation beyond repute Mysti Queen has a reputation beyond repute Mysti Queen has a reputation beyond repute Mysti Queen's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-24-2008 12:58 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
    I don't get how that fixed the future.Every one was dead.
    To answer your question,time can't be changed.You can't go forward or back or else your past self would deteriorate.The whole anime went bust after the Cell Saga.Nothing made sense.How was it that there were three cells.And what happened to the original Cell.The main Cell was the one that Gohan killed.In the present when Gero,17,and 18 were around there should have been one left.How did Cell die if he was a cyborg?I made it more confusing I apologize.
    You mean the present day Cell right? If so, present day Cell was killed by Trunks and Krillin when they went back to Dr. Gero's lab to destroy it. Cell was still in his larve form and they destroyed him.

Banned Forum / Chat afeishisb33636 is infamous around these parts afeishisb33636 is infamous around these parts afeishisb33636 is infamous around these parts afeishisb33636 is infamous around these parts afeishisb33636 is infamous around these parts afeishisb33636 is infamous around these parts afeishisb33636 is infamous around these parts afeishisb33636 is infamous around these parts afeishisb33636 is infamous around these parts afeishisb33636 is infamous around these parts afeishisb33636 is infamous around these parts afeishisb33636's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2008 11:47 AM
    Threads

Closed Thread

Thread Information