AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Official National Languages: The Battle For The US!

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Incidentally I find all of this extremely fascinating. Two of the greatest imperialistic powerhouses in the course of modern history fighting all over again in the 21st century. The only exception is that language has replaced the cannon-balls.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Senior Member Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-24-2012 05:15 AM
    Threads

It does not matter, practically every country teaches their community the English language anyway.

The whole English language is made up of words from other languages from around the world, and has proved the most popular language world-wide. If it is not the first language a nation speaks then it is in most cases always their secondary one.

But out of all honesty, when it comes down to America's to-be spoken language I wouldn't know. But atleast it is safe to say that us people in England, speak English. Obviously as it is originate from here wouldn't you know.
    That which is; is the truth.

Senior Member Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Teal Ribbon Pink Ribbon Book
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2014 08:17 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't know when, but the American military chose English as the official language of the military branches long ago. I remember reading that somewhere after joining. Also, Spanish is not the most commonly spoken language in the world as has earlier been stated, though it is very widely spoken in the western hemisphere. I like Spanish and it was the easiest language to learn for me, but I prefer English.

Azn DambHaH Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-14-2009 06:48 PM
    Threads

English is the business language of the world and has been ever since the peak of the largest empire ever in world which was the British Empire. It was also helped to spread ever since America started having a growing influence on the world probably since the turn of the 20th century.

I believe english is the most spoken language in the world but i suppose they have gone by how many ppl have spanish as their mother tongue which would be correct in saying spanish is the most spoken language in the world due to Spain and South America.
    But if you go to to some of the most populated nations in the world such as India and China it would be rare to find someone who can understand even a few words of Spanish but relatively easy to find someone who can understand some english.

So anyway America should keep english as their official language. The economic reason for it alone would be enough in their (american government) book to keep it so

Yoko Littner Fan Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Where
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2014 06:23 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The official language is English, and it always has been. All of the historic documents and important speeches were expressed in English. The idea that we are language neutral is a compete and utter lie.

The US has the whole world learning English. Let's face it, the US is pretty much the best country, and we've got a butt-kicking entertainment industry. It's just like how wee-a-boos want to learn moon-speak.

Anyway, every US citizen should know survival English. There's no real discussion about that. Sure we have some liberal members on AF, but they're not retarded.

Azn DambHaH Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro has a reputation beyond repute Niro's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-14-2009 06:48 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post

The US has the whole world learning English. Let's face it, the US is pretty much the best country,
    maybe USA is the best country to you

Mikuru♥Beam .Ileaz. has a reputation beyond repute .Ileaz. has a reputation beyond repute .Ileaz. has a reputation beyond repute .Ileaz. has a reputation beyond repute .Ileaz. has a reputation beyond repute .Ileaz. has a reputation beyond repute .Ileaz. has a reputation beyond repute .Ileaz. has a reputation beyond repute .Ileaz. has a reputation beyond repute .Ileaz. has a reputation beyond repute .Ileaz. has a reputation beyond repute .Ileaz.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Haruhi Sos Dan 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-27-2010 11:44 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Fabala View Post
    Er, why not both English and Spanish? It's easy to say just English simply because the majority of the population speaks it, but at the same time the country caters more and more to the Spanish-speaking population. I've been in stores that don't have a single sign not translated into Spanish. And that was in the Northeast.

Those figures are for primary languages. I'd be interested to know how many people speak Spanish fluently as a secondary language.
    I agree <(^.^)>
    We'll be togethersoon.
    Message Me?!

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

o.o English ftw. And yes, I do think that it should be made the official language. What we have now works, but the foundation is very rocky in my opinion. So why not make official was it already a reality?

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

The Ice Empress Deadly Kiss has a reputation beyond repute Deadly Kiss has a reputation beyond repute Deadly Kiss has a reputation beyond repute Deadly Kiss has a reputation beyond repute Deadly Kiss has a reputation beyond repute Deadly Kiss has a reputation beyond repute Deadly Kiss has a reputation beyond repute Deadly Kiss has a reputation beyond repute Deadly Kiss has a reputation beyond repute Deadly Kiss has a reputation beyond repute Deadly Kiss has a reputation beyond repute Deadly Kiss's Avatar
    Psychadelic
    Gifts Sushi2 Pink And Blue Ribbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-09-2012 05:51 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    I don't see why there needs to be one official language? The EU has 23 (which may be excessive, but 2 or 3 shouldn't be that painful.)

There will always be a lingua franca, determined by what most people speak, so this sort of decision is best left to the grassroots. Top-level decisions will just antagonize the masses. In the US, the best thing is probably let this be decided on a state level, and have all official state languages as official languages for the whole of USA.
    The EU is not a country. It is an economic confederation made up of different European nations "states" so naturally they will have many different official languages. That being said I am an American and I think the official language should remain English because it has been so since the founding of this country. I also think that while learning new languages is important, (and I do speak five languages other than English) I feel anyone applying for citizenship or a green card should be required to learn English. As far as each state deciding the official language for that state, California held an election to acknowledge Spanish as a 2nd official language and that proposal failed misserably. In the state of Louisiiana there areas where Cajun French is spoken other swhere, Hungarian, German, Vietmanese and Spanish are spoken, but by far American English is the accpeted language. In the United states we are a melting pot and our differences are what makes us great. However the emphasis is on melting pot our cultures have to blend into one to make it work. So unless someone wants to create a new language for the US I don't see another option.

Senior Member Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Teal Ribbon Pink Ribbon Book
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2014 08:17 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Niro View Post
    I believe english is the most spoken language in the world but i suppose they have gone by how many ppl have spanish as their mother tongue which would be correct in saying spanish is the most spoken language in the world due to Spain and South America.
    Mandarin Chinese outpaces Spanish in that respect, so Spanish doesn't qualify on those terms, either. However, many do speak Spanish in the western hemisphere; remember, though, Brazil has Portugese as its first language (even though many Brazilians understand Spanish as Portugese is very similar), so Spanish is not the completely dominant language in South America.

I completely agree with what you said about the British Empire; at its peak, it controlled about a quarter of the world itself, and English became very well-known; this, coupled with America's influence (especially in the '90's), has cemented English's position as the business language of the world.

¤Ultimate Fear Inducer¤ Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-19-2009 06:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I choose English. It's been the dominant language of the country of America, since it first began and is still the dominant language at 82%. It's like tradition. If there is/was an official national language for the US, I'd want it to be English. There many be a wide variety of other languages spoken here, but English is by far the main language here. It's really just common sense.
    Last edited by Perpetual Specter; 08-03-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2014 10:41 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    The official language is English, and it always has been. All of the historic documents and important speeches were expressed in English. The idea that we are language neutral is a compete and utter lie.

The US has the whole world learning English. Let's face it, the US is pretty much the best country, and we've got a butt-kicking entertainment industry. It's just like how wee-a-boos want to learn moon-speak.

Anyway, every US citizen should know survival English. There's no real discussion about that. Sure we have some liberal members on AF, but they're not retarded.
    The United States has NEVER had an official language. Just because our national documents are in English doesn't mean that our official language is English. English, at the moment, is the de facto language of the country but it has not been made the official language of the country.

The argument that is being made in our government is whether or not English should be made our official language. People believe that since English is the dominate language of the country, is the primary language taught in schools and is the language used in our courts, our government and our official documents, it should be made our official language, as 30 states have already declared that their official languages are English.

The problem that some people have is that there are so many people in this country that do not speak English well enough to communicate effectively in English. If English is made the official language, there will be no signs or instructions that will be in other languages to help people who speak other languages. If Spanish is given secondary status as an official language, then that will only help those who speak Spanish. Those who speak other languages would still be unable to get help.

I personally believe that every citizen should learn the basics of English. If one wants to have a self sufficient life in the United States, they should at least have a basic knowledge of the English language.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Senior Member genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Tolerant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-15-2010 03:31 PM
    Threads

That's completely idiotic. To think there are people being paid to debate over something as stupid as this.

The real question is, why is the United States wasting money on fools politics such as this?
    Last edited by Santa Clause : 25/12/1bc at 00:00 AM. Reason: I felt like it, you idiot.

GO GO BATMAMZ!! Taikyo has a reputation beyond repute Taikyo has a reputation beyond repute Taikyo has a reputation beyond repute Taikyo has a reputation beyond repute Taikyo has a reputation beyond repute Taikyo has a reputation beyond repute Taikyo has a reputation beyond repute Taikyo has a reputation beyond repute Taikyo has a reputation beyond repute Taikyo has a reputation beyond repute Taikyo has a reputation beyond repute Taikyo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-26-2010 05:18 AM
    hmm....i forgot....let me get back to you on that.
    Threads

English all the way. D:
    I don't know any Spanish at all (even if I am part Spanish), and I would be going back to grade school just to learn it.
    Why do people have to have constant debates over the official language? XD They're making it difficult on themselves.

███ ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-07-2008 08:45 AM
    Threads

For something like this to ever happen, they would be telling the people that the ten percent of Spanish speakers are more important than the eighty percent of English speakers.

This political debate is about as ludicrous as the Aboriginal leader trying to make calling cars "she" illegal due to sexual discrimination. It's a waste of our time and our taxes.

For these very reasons I choose to keep my nose out of political affairs, it's all a bit above my head.
    ████████████

Senior Member genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2 has a reputation beyond repute genericusername2's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Tolerant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-15-2010 03:31 PM
    Threads

Just sounds like reverse racism and a bunch of bored old men.
    Last edited by Santa Clause : 25/12/1bc at 00:00 AM. Reason: I felt like it, you idiot.

SOS Fox McCloud Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-08-2010 03:36 PM
    Threads

English is been our official linguistics Kishiro, just however. Too much immigration from different societies have changed our aspects as 'Americans', that's how we gained different languages like Japanese, Spanish, and Chinese. Although over here in Arizona is 38% Hispanics that inhabit Arizona.

The authorities from Arizona's government officials that captured immigrants from Arizona that are Hispanics get sent back to Mexico, and illegal immigration has been a big process over the year (s) since 1960's, but then again we do gain different 'aspects' from culture, art, culinary, aspirations from different individuals.

Although many of our 70.25% from majority aspects do write in formal English language, (Such as documents, texts, and theories) must be taught of English society so they won't be perplexed.

And I highly agree with this situation that in America English should be our 'official' language. As what WolfGirl90 said, "30 states have already declared that their official languages are English." That is a true statement.
    Last edited by Dark Wolf 09; 08-06-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information