AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: best gundam series 2 see first?

Senior Member Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-08-2010 02:58 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: i have 1 but idk it

Thumbs up best gundam series 2 see first?

For a long time Ive wanted 2 see gundam but I couldn't, mainly cause I didn't have cable when cartoon network showed each of the series. I own a couple gundam games too but they never really were that great and were basically only from the original mobile suit gundam. Now that I can actually buy the dvds, which series would be the best buy, since theyre all in different timelines I wouldn't have 2 start with the original right?

Senior Member Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun has a reputation beyond repute Ashminigun's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-29-2014 12:34 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Ashminigun

I know I'm not the hardcore fan of Gundam series. However, I believe in a rule of thumb that if the anime franchise has been in the media market for a long time and it has sprawl into many sequel and spin -off of alternate universes, then it's good to start from the origin.

Getting into the classic is the best way to enjoy the story, which is has the essence that will be borrowed and duplicated or re-invented in its sequels and spin-off predecessor of the original. If you don't mind the age of the animation, ol' school mecha style and heavily storyplot reminiscent of WWII Allied vs. Axis, then you should dig the orignal Mobilesuit Gundam.

If the politics is not your forte and wants modern, shiny and flashy mecha design, smooth animation and teen soap drama, then you should get any of the recent re-vitalized version of the series or whatever the Gundam series that landed in your country and your friends is hyped about it.

Senior Member Funkgun has a reputation beyond repute Funkgun has a reputation beyond repute Funkgun has a reputation beyond repute Funkgun has a reputation beyond repute Funkgun has a reputation beyond repute Funkgun has a reputation beyond repute Funkgun has a reputation beyond repute Funkgun has a reputation beyond repute Funkgun has a reputation beyond repute Funkgun has a reputation beyond repute Funkgun has a reputation beyond repute Funkgun's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-05-2014 01:55 AM
    Threads

Good advice there mate.
    I love the Original as well. Then a progress to Gundam Z. Maybe ZZ (although I did not like it as much) 08th M.S., 0083, and war in the pocket.
    Sure Wish I had a little dvd player on my forklift at work... no, wait, that would be dangerous.

Junior Member clra2 is on a distinguished road clra2's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-11-2008 10:33 AM
    Threads

i'll list the anime i've seen in order by date of occurance (a little bit out of order) and then the side stories to my knowledge and what i think of them. this will be quite long but i have so much time because i'm doing nothing in china right now other than watching the olympics...on tv.

UC (universal century):

Mobile Suit Gundam- story of the OYW (one year war). all of gundam stemmed from here. it's good to watch this series so you get why mobile suits were developed and the major battles of the war, as the later series will make references to some of these battles. i never watched this series in its entirety mainly becasue i couldnt stand the animation but the story is great. it seemed a little kiddy to me and i thought Amuro is an overpowered, whinny little b!tch.

08th ms Team- occurs prior to the federation's mass production of it's mobile suits. about the actions of federation pilot Shiro Armada during the one year war in the southeast asian front (i believe). my favorite series because of its realistic take on gundam and not about overpowered newtypes but about regular frontline soldiers. loved the ground combat gundam also.

MS igloo- this all CGI OVA follows engineer Oliver May as he reports on various zeon experimental weapons. didnt like this series much but it did show the Battle of Loum which was a major zeon victory that severely crippled th federation navy. also the zudah is a pretty cool ms.

0080 War in a Pocket- OVA about how the OYW affected colonists in the neatral colony of side 6. this was an interesting OVA, not a lot of big battles or anything. the story is basically told from the point of view of a 10 year old boy so it's rather innocent. i do like the mechs in this OVA however. the GM sniper II is my favorite GM variation (and i'm still waiting for bandai to release and HGUC model of it) and the kampfer is by far my favorite zeon ms (FINALLY released in HGUC).

0083 stardust memory- i didnt watch the series but i watched the OVA which kind of sucked because it was confusing. about how the remnents of zeon steal a nuclear bomb equipped gundam and the federation ship Albion and it's crew try and take it back. thought this was a decent OVA. nothing special.

didnt watch zeta or ZZ.

char's counterattack- OVA that was kind of confusing because i didnt watch zeta or ZZ. dont remember that well as i havent watchd it in 5 years.

Side stories

Zeonic Front (game)- tactical 3rd person shooter. i believe this is the ultimate gundam experience when it comes to gaming. you take control of a team of mobile suits from the Midnight Fenrir corps and you go through a bunch of battles. the story starts early, before the federation has any ms and ends after the federation take back odyssa and the zeon forces are reatreating to space. this game is highly realistic and it really fleshes out the story. plus there's a video that highlights the ENTIRE OYW. fantastic. in missions all you really get to use are zaku Is, IIs, goufs, and doms. you basically do reconaisance for the main forces as their capturing california base, prepare for the attack on jaburo, and defend odyssa; 3 major turning points in the OYW. unfortunately you're on the losing side of all these battles. in simulations you can unlock more missions including federation missions (where you use federation ms). if you ever wanted to be Norris Packard and take down 3 guntanks while fighting 3 ground combat gundams by yourself, simulation offers that mission (which is sweet). also this game introduces gundam Murdock (RX-78-6; gundam is RX-78-2). this gundam is ultra cool because it has the mobility of a dom, the armor of gundam, and the cannons of guncannon. this game is really really hard however and finding it will probably be equally as hard.

Encounters in Space (game)- zone of the enders ripoff but introdued me to a bunch of the zeon and federation aces as there were bonus missions for all these ace pilots. this game basically chronicles most of the space battles that happened in the UC universe such as the Battle of Loum and A Boa a Qu. there are a considerable number of mobile suits including those from gundam wing and seed to use in skrimishes and multiplayer (not campaign). it's really cool to see what made the Black Tristars, Anavel Gato, etc ace pilots. plus there was a segment on the blue destiny, which is my favorite suit ever.

Blue Destiny (manga)- there is a 3 part game on this miniseries on the dreamcast and i would like to play it (and Rise From the Ashes) but i dont have dreamcast so i read the graphic novel. the manga covers the first 2 parts of the game and introduces audiences to Yuu Kajima, test pilot of the blue destiny. like i said above blue destiny unit 3 is my favorite suit but it doesnt make an appearance in this manga. the story covers the federation offensive to take back areas captured by the zeons up until the federation take back california base.

Lost War Chronicles (manga)- again there's a game on this but it's in japanese and you need a japanese ps2 or modded system. i only read the first 2 parts and they're kind of fuzzy because barnes and nobles no longer carries gundam manga and i read them in store (being cheap). i give this manga props for having the ground combat gundam but i didnt really connect to this character as much as i did Shiro Armada or Yuu Kajima (my favorite 2 federation pilots).

Ecol du Ciel (manga)- this is the farthest i've explored UC other than Char's Counterattack. this happens around 0087. i'm really not sure about the story. i read a bunch of volumes but only the ones i found in barnes and nobles. i think i skipped 4 volumes between readings once. the art style is very unique. this story follows newtype Asuna (forgot last name). this is basically supposed to bridge 0083 and zeta as a bunch of the zeta suits are seen in this manga.

CE (cosmic era):

Gundam Seed- this is basically a remake of the original mobile suit gundam targeted at a more modern audience. the animation is top notch and there's much less politics and much more explosions. the story follows Kira Yamato (like Amuro he's an overpowered crybaby) and the crew of the Archangel (a ship that looks like White Base) and their fight against the zaft forces (zeon basically. i mean their suits, the ginn, are exactly like zakus). there's even a guy with a mask that looks like Char! i was fairly unimpressed with this series. plus the story takes some crazy turn towards the final 20 episodes. but for some reason they made a sequal.

Gundam Seed Destiny- i finished this series but again was unimpressed. the story now shifts to the zaft side and follows pilot Shinn Asuka (who looks kind of like Kira) and follows the crew of the Minerva (which looks eerily similar to the Archangel). have no fear however as the original cast from Seed return! if i didnt like the original, i dislike this series as well. only the mechs nicely designed and the animation is top notch. story is weak.

i lost interest in the CE universe at this point and didnt watch CE 71 Stargazer even though i saw billions of advertisments for it while i was in japan before it was going to be released.

side stories

Astray (manga)- follows Gai Murakamo and the Junk Guild. Gai finds 2 mobile suits in the wreckage of Heliopolis, the Astray Red Frame and Blue Frame. basically Gai uses the Red Frame to help in his work/survival and he gives Blue Frame to a mercenary. that's really all i got from this manga. mechs are designed nicely and are Orbs inspiration for their mass produced astray models.

FC (future century)

G Gundam- Dragon Ball Z meets gundam. mechs have fairly interesting designs but this series sucked, even though i love God Gundam and Domon Kasshu. the motif for his shining hand, king of hearts attack is cool though. basically there's a giant fighting tournament with mobile suits that fighters in their ms from all countries participate in.

AC (after colony)

Gundam Wing- first gundam series i watched. i cant even explain the story because it's so confusing and politically charged. there's just so much going on. tons of factions are fighting against and with each other. the gundam designs are awesone and battles are pretty epic. i bought the dvd set after i first watched parts of it on toonami and it finally kinda sorta made sense. i should watch it again cuz i'm confused again.

Endless Walz- OVA for Wing. much less confusing than the original series. basically the daughter of Treize Khushrenada, Mariemaia (wow these names are crazy), try and take over where her father left off, trying to seize power basically. so the 5 gundam pilots and Zechs Marquise/Milliardo Peacecraft try and stop her. the custom suits are so much more badass looking than their Wing counterparts and are among my favorite designs. plus the animation is top notch.

side stories

Episode Zero (manga)- covers the origins of each of the 5 gundam pilots as well as Relena Peacecraft and Treize (not spelling his last name again). very interesting as you find out what motivates each person ([spoilers] what? Wufei was married omgosh!!) you also meet Mariemaia's mother and other good stuff. There's also this extra story that happens after the events of Endless Waltz, however it's incomplete and ends the AC universe with a cliff hanger.

The Last Outpost (manga)- side story for Wing that happens at some remote outpost and follows the Bernett brothers and their mobile suits which are Gundam esque but arent called Gundam as the 5 mobile suits that crashed on Earth are gundams. they try and defend their home from an OZ attack. Valdar Farkill is one crazy enemy for a gundam series. it was an interesting read and had nothing to do with Gundam Wing at all.

Battlefield of Pacifists (manga)- an interesting story that occurs between Wing and Endless Waltz. it really explains why Wufei acts the way he does in Endless Waltz. there is finally peace on the earth but some meteor floating near mars with 300 mobile doll Virgos are threatening and the 5 gundam boys try and stop the weapons from being activated. another good read to flesh out the Wing series. btw i bought all the gundam wing side story graphic novels so i was not being cheap for this timeline.

Gundam 00 is supposedly a remake of Gundam Wing for more modern audinces but i havent had the chance to check it out. nor do i want to. Gundam X and Turn A Gundam are the other 2 series i havent seen yet. i'm also not going to talk about the aberration that is SD Gundam Force. i'm done watching new gundam series from any timeline other than UC. i think bandai is going to leave the UC timeline to games and manga (with the exception of the next MS Igloo that's supposed to come out) so i'll be busy with my plastic model kits.

i will say check out the Gundam SD G Generation for the GBA and NDS. they're basically turn based RPGs like Fire Emblem. these games basically take gundams from all timelines and merge them into one. for example for G Generation for the GBA you start with Strike and Kira but meet characters and ms from every other gundam series. it's pretty cool and addictive. they're in japanese so getting the super powers for Domon, Heero, Yuu, etc will take some online research to get. other than that it should be easy to understand.

WHEW...ok well that was really long. i hope this helps you choose which one. if it didnt then i guess it helped me reignite my passion for gundam.

Closed Thread

Thread Information