AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Believe it VS Ttebayo: Purists Go Jump

Yoko Littner Fan Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Where
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2014 06:23 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Believe it VS Ttebayo: Purists Go Jump

One of the most annoying things that I get from wap purists is the "Believe it is so annoying" when they have no problem with "Ttebayo".

Yes, ttebayo doesn't have a meaning. However, in context, neither does "Believe it!"
    I mean, think about the word "well", it can mean the adverb of good, it can mean 'not ill' or it can be an interjection. In the context of an interjection, well has no meaning, just like "Believe it!" has no meaning when Naruto actually uses the phrase.

Another thing is that people seem to forget that Naruto is supposed to be annoying. He says 'ttebayo' in a manner that's annoying most of the time. The dubbers would be doing their job incorrectly if they left out any annoying sentence ending phrase.
    Last edited by Wio; 07-06-2008 at 02:19 AM.

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

You are correct sir. The "Believe it!" is highly annoying and I would imagine if I were Japanese and fully understood those subtle cultural subtexts Ttebayo would annoy the crap out of me. And since Naruto is supposed to be annoying, it's only natural that they keep that bit of him.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Forsaken Beer Brewmaster has a reputation beyond repute Brewmaster has a reputation beyond repute Brewmaster has a reputation beyond repute Brewmaster has a reputation beyond repute Brewmaster has a reputation beyond repute Brewmaster has a reputation beyond repute Brewmaster has a reputation beyond repute Brewmaster has a reputation beyond repute Brewmaster has a reputation beyond repute Brewmaster has a reputation beyond repute Brewmaster has a reputation beyond repute Brewmaster's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Gifts Beer Beer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-16-2013 09:39 PM
    Threads

Well yeah i must agree on that.I mean what the hell is ttebayo.Believe it sometimes sounds logical when he says it depends on the context and situation.But usually it has no sense.Anyways i don't find it that annoying but yeah his role is to be annoying to the last moment but he has his times when he is so serious he makes a real ninja.
    My job?Well being drunk.
    What do I do in my free time?In my free time I'm being drunk.
    Favorite place?The bar.
    Favorite drink?Heineken ftw!
    I don't brawl but be careful I might bite...

Was called Forsaken One once...

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Believe It was so awesome!Then X-Play got their hands on it and killed it.He only said it like 4 times every 3 episodes.

May precipitate OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-01-2014 01:06 AM
    Threads

I don''t have a problem with either phrase as a stand alone, what craps me about "Believe It" is the way it is said. The tone of the voice and everything just makes me want to strangle kittens you know. In Japanese, the "ttebayo" is kind of said quickly and there's no kitten strangling tone so it's alright.

Tru Fax: Princess Minako wrestled Jesus... and won

Junior Member chinesefuuyung has much to be proud of chinesefuuyung has much to be proud of chinesefuuyung has much to be proud of chinesefuuyung has much to be proud of chinesefuuyung has much to be proud of chinesefuuyung has much to be proud of chinesefuuyung has much to be proud of chinesefuuyung has much to be proud of chinesefuuyung has much to be proud of chinesefuuyung has much to be proud of chinesefuuyung's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2008 05:24 PM
    Threads

i agree; i personally like how he says, "believe it!" because it really shows his personality xD

i like english dub betr than japanse talk because it hurt my brains to read speech and listen at same time

Yoko Littner Fan Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Where
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2014 06:23 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Twilight View Post
    I don''t have a problem with either phrase as a stand alone, what craps me about "Believe It" is the way it is said. The tone of the voice and everything just makes me want to strangle kittens you know. In Japanese, the "ttebayo" is kind of said quickly and there's no kitten strangling tone so it's alright.
    No...

I don't think it's fair at all to compare the Japanese tones with the English ones, since I am certain that you simply read the subs and have no idea of the mechanics the Japanese being spoken. There is a bias because lot's of anime fans fear saying bad things about Japan as a priest fears blasphemy.

TL;DR: It's suggestion.

Member jubpawz has a reputation beyond repute jubpawz has a reputation beyond repute jubpawz has a reputation beyond repute jubpawz has a reputation beyond repute jubpawz has a reputation beyond repute jubpawz has a reputation beyond repute jubpawz has a reputation beyond repute jubpawz has a reputation beyond repute jubpawz has a reputation beyond repute jubpawz has a reputation beyond repute jubpawz has a reputation beyond repute jubpawz's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-21-2009 09:50 PM
    Threads

Well it really depends you know. While us english speakers find "Believe it" to be very annoying im sure that the Japanese find "Dattebayo" or "Ttebayo" annoying too. And you cant really compare it. To us the Japanese way of speaking is fast and its like once its said its gone. The same thing goes for dattebayo. We hear it fast and cant really be bothered with it. Now imagine if they put "you know" in the subtitles as a substitute for dattebayo. Then you would find it annoying. But personally i like Dattebayo. I ike the way it rolls off his tonge and i think it fits him fine. Just like "Believe it"

May precipitate OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-01-2014 01:06 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    No...

I don't think it's fair at all to compare the Japanese tones with the English ones, since I am certain that you simply read the subs and have no idea of the mechanics the Japanese being spoken. There is a bias because lot's of anime fans fear saying bad things about Japan as a priest fears blasphemy.

TL;DR: It's suggestion.
    ...I'm listening to voices therefore comparing tones seems pretty fair. I'm not comparing it in a Japanese VS English as a whole, I'm comparing it as a Japanese Voice Actor of Naruto VS English Voice Actor of Naruto. And I much prefer the sounds coming from the Japanese guy. I think the voice for Naruto is English is really ill fitted, doesn't suit the role at all.

Tru Fax: Princess Minako wrestled Jesus... and won

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Twilight View Post
    ...I'm listening to voices therefore comparing tones seems pretty fair. I'm not comparing it in a Japanese VS English as a whole, I'm comparing it as a Japanese Voice Actor of Naruto VS English Voice Actor of Naruto. And I much prefer the sounds coming from the Japanese guy. I think the voice for Naruto is English is really ill fitted, doesn't suit the role at all.
    Maile Flanagan is not used to anime.She's used to Jackie Chan Adventures so you can't expect much.

Senior Member TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2013 03:50 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Parugin

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    One of the most annoying things that I get from wap purists is the "Believe it is so annoying" when they have no problem with "Ttebayo".
    Yes, ttebayo doesn't have a meaning. However, in context, neither does "Believe it!"
    I mean, think about the word "well", it can mean the adverb of good, it can mean 'not ill' or it can be an interjection. In the context of an interjection, well has no meaning, just like "Believe it!" has no meaning when Naruto actually uses the phrase.
    Another thing is that people seem to forget that Naruto is supposed to be annoying. He says 'ttebayo' in a manner that's annoying most of the time. The dubbers would be doing their job incorrectly if they left out any annoying sentence ending phrase.
    It always seemed to me that "Dattebayo" was an attempt to pronounce "That-a-boy," kind of like how "Maito Gai" is just an attempt to pronounce "Might(y) Guy." I assumed the differences between English and Japanese phonetics were to blame. Does "Dattebayo" actually mean anything in Japanese?
    Naruto seems to be congratulating himself no matter whether he's saying "dattebayo" or "Believe it!" Either one will do for such a purpose.
    I will agree that both are equally annoying, though I find Naruto himself annoying, along with over half the series characters, so I'm probably not a good judge.
    Last edited by TheAsterisk!; 09-10-2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: fat fingers
    | Puppy Linux || Get it right. ||

If you would like to seek unification with my dynasty, simply plant the flag of the Central Asterikan Republic into your signature to join in the glory that is TheAsterism!

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I can't quite understand what exactly it is you're trying to prove here, but believe me; to a native Japanese audience, it's just not that noticable.

It's common in anime to make a character end his/her sentences in a certain way, to differentiate them from other characters. It's been around since way back, since Tezuka Osamu's time, and Naruto's way of speaking is nothing new. For example, Ramu-chan from Urusei Yatsura ends her sentences with "-daccha".

In fact, it's common in Japanese for speakers to identify themselves or their intentions with how they end their phrases. A person being polite will end their words with "-desu", a woman will end her sentences with "-(da)wa", an old man will end his sentences with "-jya", etc. While admittedly nobody in real life would do that with "-dattebayo", since the correct mentality is already in place, it just doesn't sound that awkward.

Think of Yoda's manner of speech in Star Wars. Nobody talks like that in real life, and it would be sheer hell to translate it to another language, but a native English speaker is able to take it in relatively painlessly.
    Last edited by Datenshi; 09-10-2008 at 10:24 AM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Banned Forum / Chat Kubisa is infamous around these parts Kubisa is infamous around these parts Kubisa is infamous around these parts Kubisa is infamous around these parts Kubisa is infamous around these parts Kubisa is infamous around these parts Kubisa is infamous around these parts Kubisa is infamous around these parts Kubisa is infamous around these parts Kubisa is infamous around these parts Kubisa is infamous around these parts Kubisa's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-03-2009 05:57 PM
    Threads

Believe it is shouted out in a really obnoxious tone.

Dattebayo is subtly spoken as any other word in the sentence would be.

That is why BELIEVE IT sucks, because BELIVE IT sticks out like a retarded catchphrase.

Banned Forum / Chat Haze is Dreamin' is infamous around these parts Haze is Dreamin' is infamous around these parts Haze is Dreamin' is infamous around these parts Haze is Dreamin' is infamous around these parts Haze is Dreamin' is infamous around these parts Haze is Dreamin' is infamous around these parts Haze is Dreamin' is infamous around these parts Haze is Dreamin' is infamous around these parts Haze is Dreamin' is infamous around these parts Haze is Dreamin' is infamous around these parts Haze is Dreamin' is infamous around these parts Haze is Dreamin''s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-10-2008 09:11 PM
    Threads

Ttebayo > BELIEVE IT

You don't always even hear them say ttebayo, but you ALWAYS hear believe it and it annoys the hell out of me.

Closed Thread

Thread Information