AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Otaku 101

Member Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-16-2009 06:38 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: coming soon

Default Otaku 101

.::THE AMERICAN OTAKU101::.

Welcome to class. Today I will be teaching you what an OTAKU is. ^_^
    First, let's start off with the Definition. Does anyone here know what the definition of an otaku is?
    Definition: An otaku is a die-hard fan of japanese culture. (ex. anime, manga, clothing, etc.)
    Wikipedia Definition:is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime and manga
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    How can we Spot them? Otaku look very common, outside their groupings. When they are out of their gathering ceremonies, they are quite often hard to spot. According to myth, these "Otaku" are large, massive, sweaty, lonely, live-in-their-parents-basement, nerds who attempt to cyber with online children.
    WRONG!!!!
    Even the cutest, hottest guys/girls can be an otaku, and no, they don't have to be Asian to be a cute/hot otaku.
    A good way to spot them is to look at what they are doing. Don't go leaning over their shoulder and watch them. That is creepy, and it very often bothers them. If they are spotted playing japanese videogames (naruto, one piece, puyo pop, dbz, etc.) for countless hours on end, screaming the attacks as they do them, about 9 times out of 10, they are otaku.
    What is this "Grouping"? This "Grouping" is found among many members of Fandom. Trekkies, Jedi, Otaku, etc.
    This is a "Convention", or "Con" is most commonly heard among the Otaku.
    It's a gathering in which they dress up as their favorite characters from their favorite anime, and they enjoy a festival of beating the hell out of eachother with plastic/cardboard swords, throwing invisible balls of imaginary chakra at eachother, viewing screenings, visiting panels, getting autographs from their favorite voice actors, manga artists, etc.
    Many couples are discovered at these "Gatherings". According to the very popular anime show, "Genshiken, they are described as "Otauples" (oh-tah-pulls) (otaku couples)
    How do they Mate? Look at "The Birds and the Bees" on page 205.
    What do Otaku do in their Spare time? In their spare time, Otaku enjoy collecting figures, watching their anime, chatting online for ours on end, on anime based sites such as Gaia, Neopets, Menewsha, Subeta, etc., Playing online MMO, or playing their favorite anime videogames. A good portion are also found drawing out fantasies and mangas for all their friends to view.

So now I hope you know. Being an otaku isn't all about pigging out, getting fat then dressing as cute anime girls trying to reach satisfaction. It's about freedom of what one likes. It resembles that bond of friendship that Japan has developed among the world.
    Otaku. We are what we love, and what we love is a nice cute anime girl, a bottle of soda we got at the last convention with Sasuke's face on it, and a warm bowl of instant noodles replicating real Ramen!!!!!

~Class dismissed.
    Last edited by Masterjoe42; 07-02-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Don't tell me the Sky's the Limit....I've seen footprints on the moon.

2. Likes Will Phuah liked this post
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Er... and your point is what?

These kinds of threads remind me to remember how different anime fans abroad are to Otaku in Japan.

I think I said this before, but countries like the United States tend to be multi-ethnic/multi-cultural, and more conscious of their individuality and tend to be more eager to associate themselves with a minority group (take "goth"). Japan, being an island country, is traditionally mono-ethnic, with people from similar backgrounds, and is hence strongly concerned with uniformity and falling into line with those around you. People who step out of the social norm are met with disapproval and therefore labels like Otaku are heavily stigmatized. Just so you know.

According to myth, these "Otaku" are large, massive, sweaty, lonely, live-in-their-parents-basement, nerds who attempt to cyber with online children.
    WRONG!!!!
    Unfortunately, when you go to places like Akihabara you'll notice that this description is more often than not correct. I have no idea why this is, but it's similar to a well known 2channel saying, "I know not all smoker's are bad-mannered, but every smoker I've known has had bad manners".
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Member Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42 has a reputation beyond repute Masterjoe42's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-16-2009 06:38 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: coming soon

Yeah I know. :P
    I'm just trying to have as much fun with it as I can.
    I just changed the title to better fit what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Masterjoe42; 07-02-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Don't tell me the Sky's the Limit....I've seen footprints on the moon.

Banzai!!!!!! Tsubaki Yoshikara has a reputation beyond repute Tsubaki Yoshikara has a reputation beyond repute Tsubaki Yoshikara has a reputation beyond repute Tsubaki Yoshikara has a reputation beyond repute Tsubaki Yoshikara has a reputation beyond repute Tsubaki Yoshikara has a reputation beyond repute Tsubaki Yoshikara has a reputation beyond repute Tsubaki Yoshikara has a reputation beyond repute Tsubaki Yoshikara has a reputation beyond repute Tsubaki Yoshikara has a reputation beyond repute Tsubaki Yoshikara has a reputation beyond repute Tsubaki Yoshikara's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2010 04:24 AM
    Somewhere in the middle of nowhere where even I DON'T KNOW~!XD
    Threads

er....okay...tell you what...i don't believe that any members on AF here do not know what is an otaku...or else I'll faint...Just like if you've never heard of suzumiya haruhi
    Lol...I'm Back!
    FYI:Shana FTW!:3

i'm desu and i know it. Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-21-2012 02:33 AM
    Threads

Otaku isn't that hard of a word I'm sure anyone here would be able to know what type of person would be one and what the hell it is.
    Last edited by Konata Izumi; 07-02-2008 at 04:51 AM.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki Yoshikara View Post
    er....okay...tell you what...i don't believe that any members on AF here do not know what is an otaku...or else I'll faint...Just like if you've never heard of suzumiya haruhi
    That's pretty bad.Beeing on an Anime Forum,but not knowing what Otaku is.Some might not.Some might be Adult Swim Anime Fans.Code Geass,Death Note Bleach.You'd be surprised.International mentioned it before:If a girl comes in calling herself EmoGirl and says her favorite anime is Death Note she's asking to get picked on.

More often than not there are the sweaty guy in the basement.Once you achieve that you can be called Otaking.I want to be that guy.

Senior Member Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-24-2012 05:15 AM
    Threads

In the United States they see it as a word that describes a huge anime fan. In the original Japanese meaning it means "To have an obsession with something" or "To have obsessive interests in something". Therefore they would use the term "Anime Otaku" to an anime fan as opposed to just simply "Otaku". Although even the Japanese meaning itself mainly refers to hardcore anime fans.
    That which is; is the truth.

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

@Datenshi: No, most sane people look down on Otaku here too. They're grouped in with the Trekkies and obsessive Star Wars fans in that whenever they congregate most normal human beings are repulsed or at least uncomfortable.

The difference is, in America we have a habit of taking terms used as insults and wearing them as a badge of pride for some unfathomable reason. Ain't that right, my N-WORD OF ENDEARMENTz?

CircleJerk Elitist MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire has a reputation beyond repute MissAstaire's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Pizza Cake Bleach Kon
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-06-2014 03:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: MissAstaire

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki Yoshikara View Post
    Uhm, well you better be ready to faint, cos I didnt know what either of those were. I now know what an Otaku is (I have a friend heavily into anything Japanese), but I still don't know what "suzumiya haruhi" is...

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

The only people I've ever met who described themselves as "otaku" are japanophile kids who think they know anything about anime. Sort of like the 12 year olds who run around telling everyone they are "gothic".

I'd be offended if anyone decided to call me that. I'm aware of the actual connotations that "otaku" holds in its place of origin, and I don't think skewing the definition to be a term for all fans of anime and manga here in America and elsewhere is that brilliant of an idea.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xero XIII View Post
    The only people I've ever met who described themselves as "otaku" are japanophile kids who think they know anything about anime. Sort of like the 12 year olds who run around telling everyone they are "gothic".

I'd be offended if anyone decided to call me that. I'm aware of the actual connotations that "otaku" holds in its place of origin, and I don't think skewing the definition to be a term for all fans of anime and manga here in America and elsewhere is that brilliant of an idea.
    I'll admit I am to be blamed as the latter.I do think I know everything,but that's after years of research and effort.Sounds lame,but I stuck to the originals.

Closed Thread

Thread Information