AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Video Game stores in Akiba?

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2010 08:18 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Video Game stores in Akiba?

This isn't really on topic, but I figure this is probably the best place to ask since this is probably the place on these forums with the most Japanese natives.

I bought a Famicom in Japan a couple weeks ago and brought it back to Canada to find that it wouldn't work for some reason. I have a friend who's going to Japan in July who I've given it to to bring it back for me. I don't have the reciept and it's about 2 months between buying and returning, so I'm not expecting any more than half of what I paid, but does anyone know of any places in or around Akiba where my friend could bring it to? Also, she's only learning Japanese herself, so what should she say to the clerk when she brings it in? Thanks.
    日本語をならっている。 まちがえれば、おねがい知らせてください~!

Quote Originally Posted by Paraphrased from LavaBug
    I remember that day 'cause it's Sailor Mercury's birthday...or is it my mom's?

Здравствуйте!
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333's Avatar
    Gil
    Torn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2020 08:46 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

The video game settings are from Japan. Games in bought in Japan only work in Japan. In this continent you have to have NTSC or something like that. Something with an N... They have to be that format or they wont work on your PS2, X Box, or what ever it is that you play it on.

BTW, I don't know where your friend could take it to return it. Sorry! You should place it in eBay or something. Pretty hard to get your money back at this point...

Also, this doesn't belong in this thread. It would mostly likely be Misc...
    Last edited by aishiteru333; 06-14-2008 at 05:56 PM.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aishiteru333 View Post
    The video game settings are from Japan. Games in bought in Japan only work in Japan. In this continent you have to have NSTC or something like that. Something with an N... They have to be that format or they wont work on your PS2, X Box, or what ever it is that you play it on.

BTW, I don't know where your friend could take it to return it. Sorry! You should place it in eBay or something. Pretty hard to get your money back at this point...
    Both Japan and North America use the NTSC format. So this isn't the issue.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Здравствуйте!
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333's Avatar
    Gil
    Torn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2020 08:46 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    Both Japan and North America use the NTSC format. So this isn't the issue.
    Gomenai! I was aware of different formats, just not sure if Japan had any difference.

This was such an issue with video game torrents on a site.

Thanks for the correction!!!

Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by aishiteru333 View Post
    Gomenai! I was aware of different formats, just not sure if Japan had any difference.

This was such an issue with video game torrents on a site.

Thanks for the correction!!!
    Yeah, what you're thinking of is region locking. The current-gen video game consoles have region locking so, for example, the early Japanese release of Super Smash Brawl wouldn't be able to be imported. I know about that stuff. Back in the day, though (and to this day on handhelds, btw, so go out and buy Japan-only DS games without worry!), region locking wasn't an issue. I don't know if it's a cartridge vs. CD thing or what.

My problem is that the system won't work with my TV. The system works and the TV works and the RF switch works and the TV works with the RF switch and the RF switch works with the console, but the 3 won't work together. I know the system works cause the fuzz on the TV is different when the console is on or off, but I can't get it to be no fuzz.

Can't I bring the system to a Book Off or old used game stores or something? I know in North America used game stores will buy old games from customers which is how they get their inventory. I bought this system from a used game store in Akiba, so I know such places exist, but I don't know where or what they're called.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai87 View Post
    Yeah, what you're thinking of is region locking. The current-gen video game consoles have region locking so, for example, the early Japanese release of Super Smash Brawl wouldn't be able to be imported. I know about that stuff. Back in the day, though (and to this day on handhelds, btw, so go out and buy Japan-only DS games without worry!), region locking wasn't an issue. I don't know if it's a cartridge vs. CD thing or what.
    Well, PS3's aren't region specific. You can play import titles without any modding.

My problem is that the system won't work with my TV. The system works and the TV works and the RF switch works and the TV works with the RF switch and the RF switch works with the console, but the 3 won't work together. I know the system works cause the fuzz on the TV is different when the console is on or off, but I can't get it to be no fuzz.
    Try GameFAQ's. They had some fairly in depth guides for NES repair, so I imagine they'd either have a guide for the Famicom or you could try what the NES guide says.

Can't I bring the system to a Book Off or old used game stores or something? I know in North America used game stores will buy old games from customers which is how they get their inventory. I bought this system from a used game store in Akiba, so I know such places exist, but I don't know where or what they're called.
    Do you live near a flea market? I don't know if they ever migrated that far north, but they tend to have at least one decent used-game store that deals with inports. Most large cities will also have a decent used-game store that deals with inports, but I can't really say for sure.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Nope, no go on the flea market. If I can't return it back in Japan, I know some people who might be able to help me out, but it's not that important so I'd prefer to get some of my money back if possible.

Edit: Checked GameFAQs. There's something there. I'll try it, but if it doesn't work I'd still like to know if it's possible to send it back to Japan and if I can sell it to a used game store or something. Thanks
    Last edited by Ertai87; 06-14-2008 at 09:56 PM.

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2009 08:17 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

You might get better luck if you put this in the gaming forum.

Pink is the new Pooky
    Party it up in Wallpapers
    | join the AF Gaia guild!
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

musing of a mod : Illuminated Spirits : Theme: uber_pink

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

OK. Can a mod move it for me or do I have to repost?

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

moved!

Pink is the new Pooky
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

Resident Japanese Girl
    suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2014 01:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

In Japan, if you want to return something you usually need to bring the recipt with you or you can't return it. And the time period that you can return it in, is usually a year.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Not to return, just to trade in. Like, in North America (I'm from Canada), if you go to a used game store, you can give them your old games and systems and they'll give you a percentage (usually 50%) of what they'll resell your game for, usually about 3/4 of the original price for popular games, about 40% for not-so-popular games. So, I'm hoping I can do the same thing with stores in Japan. Does such a system exist with used game stores in Japan? I know such stores exist, because I bought the Famicom used in the first place.

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

My friend used to sell back some games he bought, but I *think* he just got store credit.

Pink is the new Pooky

███ ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-07-2008 08:45 AM
    Threads

That's why you didn't get a receipt.
    ████████████

Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'd say the easiest thing to do is bring it to a nearby Book Off, though you have no say in the price and usually they give you next to nothing.

Speaking of Akiba specifically there's a Retro Game specialty shop called Super Potato Retro-Kan near the station on the same street where the Animate is, if I remember correctly, which is probably the most famous place where you can buy and sell old games. It's a fun place just to visit, in any case.

http://www.superpotato.com/free_html...bout_shop.html
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Ah. That's kinda poor I looked on eBay and might just end up listing it there...

Closed Thread

Thread Information