AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Electronic Dictionary?

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2010 08:18 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Electronic Dictionary?

So, I want to buy an electronic dictionary. I got a bunch of brochures and my sensei is going to help me pick one out, but does anyone know any good spots in Tokyo where they sell them for decent prices? I went to Bic Camera in Kyoto and it was uber expensive, and I presume Bic Camera is a chain (I was at the Nagoya one a couple hours ago), but I know Akiba usually has cheap tech and I'm planning on spending a day there anyway. Anyone want to plug a store for me? Directions to the store would be helpful as well. Thanks
    日本語をならっている。 まちがえれば、おねがい知らせてください~!

Quote Originally Posted by Paraphrased from LavaBug
    I remember that day 'cause it's Sailor Mercury's birthday...or is it my mom's?

Is A Girl ;)
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-14-2014 10:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Akiba is a cheap as the rest of tokyo...
    I personally presume it's even more expensive some times because of the tourists...depending what you want to buy...
    I cannot recommend a particular store, but when you walk though Akiba, especially the electric town exit (eg : area next to the station), it should be hard for you not to find those dictionaries and than you can compare for yourself...

As a guy who owns (among regular books) both a electronic dictionary and a ds, I still say you might consider buying a Nintendo DS and a Software called "Kanji sono mama rakubiki jiten"
    for 3 reasons:
    1) you can draw kanji directly and it gives you the meaning
    2) it's cheaper than a regular electronic
    dictionary that has a function that let's you draw kanji (and probably all new models do that)
    3) you can also play games on it

Advantage : If you need to know Kanji fast it is a very good solution for
    it doesn't even require you to have correct stroke count/order in
    order to recognize them (and it can take two character compound words)

Disadvantage: might be that it doesn't have a keyboard (you have to enter everthing by the pen that comes with it) and the dictionary is somewhat limited in vocabulary while
    good electronic dictionaries have at least two dictionaries you can chose from (among other functions that vary depending on model and manufacturer)...

Ok that's my two yen, good luck ^^°
    Last edited by LavaBug; 05-29-2008 at 08:26 AM.

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2009 08:17 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

I would go to an electronic store, personally. Akiba is getting too pricy and touristy. There are a bunch on the market. The Canon ones are prefered because they usually have English manuals (be sure to ask for one!). I have a Sharp. It's nice, but not for beginners.

Pink is the new Pooky
    Party it up in Wallpapers
    | join the AF Gaia guild!
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

musing of a mod : Illuminated Spirits : Theme: uber_pink

Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2010 08:18 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

@LavaBug: I have a DS, but I'm trying to not use it as a dictionary for a few reasons:

1) It takes a while to boot up.

2) I carry around enough DS games with me already XD

3) I want a QWERTY interface.

4) Most Japanese-language-learning DS games are (to my understanding) geared towards Japanese native people, which I'm not.

5) I'd like a Kanji/word dictionary both together so I don't have to carry multiple things around.

@PookyChan: Any particular suggestions? What's the difference between "an electronics store" and "an electronics store in Akiba"? I went by Bic Camera, but judging by their video games, that store is ridiculously expensive, so I'd like to try to find a better place than there. Also, I picked up brochures from Canon, Casio, Sharp, SII, and I think a couple others, and my sensei (who's a native Japanese) is going to help me pick one out. It'll probably be Canon.
    日本語をならっている。 まちがえれば、おねがい知らせてください~!

Quote Originally Posted by Paraphrased from LavaBug
    I remember that day 'cause it's Sailor Mercury's birthday...or is it my mom's?

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2009 08:17 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

some of the electronic stores in akiba are duty free, which could be great for you, but you will probably need your passport If you go to akiba, some of the non-chain stores can be pricey or try to rip you off.

Pink is the new Pooky
    Party it up in Wallpapers
    | join the AF Gaia guild!
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

musing of a mod : Illuminated Spirits : Theme: uber_pink

Closed Thread

Thread Information