AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Drug Legalization

Member Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-31-2009 03:39 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Drug Legalization

I was just wondering what everyone here's stances on Drug Legalization/Decriminalization? I know it's a touchy subject and all, but in most cases it leads to great discussion. I am for the legalization of all drugs, even though only use natural psychoactives like marijuana cannibinol and psychobelyn fungi. I believe the legalization of all drugs will benefit society in many ways.

Firstly, there are millions of drug users in this country, from occasional marijuana users to hardcore cokeheads. they pay top dollar in order to obtain highs, and if the drugs they are addicted to became legal, It would greatly improve our economy. If the gov't taxes these drugs like they tax cigarettes, cigars and coffee, the economic boost would be legendary. It would pull us out of this war-brought economic slump and help with the housing problems.

Secondly, I think legalizing all drugs will make our streets a safer place to live. Currently, street gangs such as the Crips, Bloods and V13 are in a violent war over who gets the drugs and who gets to sell them. People get killed for wearing the wrong colors as a result of this. If drugs were legalized, this violent enterprise would be reduced to nothing. Think about it. If A crackhead could legally go into a store and buy a vial of rocks, why would he go to someone standing on a street-corner and buy the same thing for more money, especially when there the threat of violence.

Thirdly,the criminalization of drugs is unrighteous in the firstplace. As a libertarian, I believe it is a persons own choice what they put in their body. Two very dangerous drugs, caffeine and tobacco, are already legal, and an overdose in both results in an unavoidable death, whereas a heroin overdose is 9/10 survivable with hospitable treatment. Millions of people drink themselves to death each year

What are your responses.

Senior Member Ravenblade has a reputation beyond repute Ravenblade has a reputation beyond repute Ravenblade has a reputation beyond repute Ravenblade has a reputation beyond repute Ravenblade has a reputation beyond repute Ravenblade has a reputation beyond repute Ravenblade has a reputation beyond repute Ravenblade has a reputation beyond repute Ravenblade has a reputation beyond repute Ravenblade has a reputation beyond repute Ravenblade has a reputation beyond repute Ravenblade's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-26-2008 10:59 PM
    Threads

I think any and all of this stuff should be legalised as long as no one else is hurt for their addictions.

With that said, I would NOT be happy with paying for life saving medical surgery on some junkie on the NHS - so it works both ways. Does that mean I would let junkies die? Yes. Hey, its their bodies and their choice. The British tax payer shouldn't have to pay for their treatment.

You're right about the gangs though - it would be safer if it was legalised and controlled by the state.

Banned Forum / Chat Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-29-2008 12:08 PM
    Threads

Well if they can control it then fine, if not then it would not be any different as it is from now. Actually t'would even worse.

They should legalize Marijuana for medical reasons but that is it. I myself detest drugs if they are used in a stupid manner. Drug takers are pathetic. I hope their magic mushrooms jump up their bottoms and eat them alive from inside out.
    Fully - Fledged - Absolute - Hardcore ''Otaku''
    Just Like This 'Kawaii' Girl Here.[Izumi Konata]

Senior Member Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-15-2012 12:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Some of the most interesting AND intelligent people I've met partake in drug activities (wisely of course). Marijuana should be legalized, that's my opinion... but I'm biased because I live in Seattle and it is everywhere anyway.

Senior Member Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-03-2010 01:32 AM
    Threads

"Drug legalization" is too general a statement. All drugs ever invented? CHRIST no. But I am for the legalization of certain (VERY few) drugs simply because of control and tax purposes.
    This post has been approved by Dancing Alec™

Member Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming has a reputation beyond repute Alive-And-Dreaming's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Lola Granola View Post
    Some of the most interesting AND intelligent people I've met partake in drug activities (wisely of course). Marijuana should be legalized, that's my opinion... but I'm biased because I live in Seattle and it is everywhere anyway.

Haha, really? Seattle doesn't exactly strike me as 4/20 friendly.

Senior Member Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola has a reputation beyond repute Lola Granola's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

You're kidding... but, really.

The Fallen Dream™ shadow slayer x has a reputation beyond repute shadow slayer x has a reputation beyond repute shadow slayer x has a reputation beyond repute shadow slayer x has a reputation beyond repute shadow slayer x has a reputation beyond repute shadow slayer x has a reputation beyond repute shadow slayer x has a reputation beyond repute shadow slayer x has a reputation beyond repute shadow slayer x has a reputation beyond repute shadow slayer x has a reputation beyond repute shadow slayer x has a reputation beyond repute shadow slayer x's Avatar
    Gil
    Roflol
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-09-2013 03:18 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Desert Scout PSN ID: DetraUnited Steam ID: DSRTscout

I really don't care whether the world wants to legalize certain drugs...children already grow up around it...and guns are perfectly legal...with permit/license although alot people don't care about that.

*Ahem* Anyways, I think it would be interesting...
    I also find it interesting on how alot of your topics and posts are "drug" related. Interesting...
    Last edited by shadow slayer x; 05-28-2008 at 06:33 PM.
    "An inspiration of faith and science only to be shunned...is called a Fallen Dream"

^Thank you Karuto^

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Looking at his signature... and I think its pretty obvious o_O

Senior Member Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Alive-And-Dreaming View Post
    Haha, really? Seattle doesn't exactly strike me as 4/20 friendly.
    Seattle is a city known for it's progressive politics. It's also just a few hours south of Vancouver, BC, which I've heard has got some pretty good stuff. Pot smokers aren't extremely rare hereabouts.

I've also heard that Washington in general is pretty lenient on marijuana users, so long as they aren't driving (because WA really isn't lenient on DUIs).
    Last edited by Ollie; 05-28-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Banned Forum / Chat Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-29-2008 12:08 PM
    Threads

So many, many people manage to get their hands on drugs nowadays anyway. So the outcome would probably be no different from the present day...exept maybe a number of individuals would not be in prison for it.
    Fully - Fledged - Absolute - Hardcore ''Otaku''
    Just Like This 'Kawaii' Girl Here.[Izumi Konata]

Monster hunter Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2009 08:10 PM
    Threads

I wouldn't be opposed to the government legalizing minor drugs like marijuana if they regulated and profited from it. In Canada we have the LCBO and The Beer Store, which are the storefronts of the government regulating the alcohol industry. They make huge profits from it.

But unless the government profits from the drug market, I think it should be illegal. It's taking money away from the country, and so I think it's best to suppress it as much as possible.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think any drug that can be taken for recreational purposes should be legalized and taxed as per normal. What business does the government have with what people do to themselves?
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

Legalize everything everywhere completely? No. A lot of drugs were created to be taken in low doses and prescribed by a doctor, and should be used responsibly.

However, I love how they have people claiming cigarettes caused the need for their extremities amputated or killed their parents/baby/etc. and they're perfectly legal, while marijuana posession can net you some serious jailtime and the worst I've ever seen was respiratory problems after years of heavy use.

Double standards, eh?

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

It is my position (and I seen to be the only one thusfar) that legalization of drugs is a bad idea. MP2K so far has made the best argument in my opinion, though the thread starter (n00b?) obviously did give this a lot of thought, so props to him.

I think that people as a whole and in large groups are simply retarded, and have no business making their own decision on the matter. Case in point, the abhorrent caffeine addiction in this country, which is socially acceptable and by no means should be in my opinion. Even the army finds it prudent to curb caffeine addictions in boot camp. That should really tell you something. If you get a headache by noon if you have no yet had coffee, that is an addiction and you need to be slapped upside the head.

I feel if the sale of drugs was legalized, instead of these drug users being in jail they would be in hospitals and draining valuable medical resources away from people there for much less...frivolous reasons. True, they are a drain on taxpayer dollars even now, but at least they are not in a situation where they are delaying the medical treatment of seriously ill and wounded individuals. Yes, I am aware that because of their illegality a lot of violence surrounds the market, and so are still making use of medical resources that way. However, no gunshot or stab wound goes uninvestigated and so provides incentive for such victims to stay away from hospitals.

Though, the idea to regulate and tax the narcotics industry is a good idea. This would be the second best reason proposed. Though, perhaps I'm old fashioned in that I believe that if a government is making large amounts of money from the degradation of its citizens it's probably corrupt.

I'd also like to point out something not mentioned anywhere here. I don't know what country you live in, but I think that America has a duty to itself and the rest of the globe (since it is very influential internationally) to maintain the integrity of its population. Aren't we trying to remain competitive in the global market? How can we do that if the workforce is high half of the time? This is something we really need to think about.

As an aspiring teacher, I'm very concerned about the next generation of Americans. I'll be damned if I have to one day grit my teeth and endure the marketing of highly addictive substances in my classroom. I won't stand for it.
    Last edited by Capernicus; 05-28-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

@Cap: But then would you agree with the (re)criminalization of cigarettes, alcohol, caffiene, etc.? Prohibition was deemed unconstitutional, so what's the difference with, say, marijuana? I think it would most likely be marketed to the 18+ crowd much like cigarettes, or maybe the 21+ crowd because of its effect on reaction time and the like.

Personally I say criminalize everything or nothing(regulation would be the course of action in this case). Either way, at least it's consistent.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Capernicus View Post
    It is my position (and I seen to be the only one thusfar) that legalization of drugs is a bad idea. MP2K so far has made the best argument in my opinion, though the thread starter (n00b?) obviously did give this a lot of thought, so props to him.

I think that people as a whole and in large groups are simply retarded, and have no business making their own decision on the matter. Case in point, the abhorrent caffeine addiction in this country, which is socially acceptable and by no means should be in my opinion. Even the army finds it prudent to curb caffeine addictions in boot camp. That should really tell you something. If you get a headache by noon if you have no yet had coffee, that is an addiction and you need to be slapped upside the head.
    Government, by definition, is a large group. I don't think that the Government should be allowed to decide what is best for the individual.

Also, on a personal note I think it's weird that I, as a heavy caffeine user don't get side effects. I feel really out of sorts without (although I think that may just be the lack of sugar, since the sugar helps lots), but I don't get a head ache, and I don't get a crash after my energy drinks.

I feel if the sale of drugs was legalized, instead of these drug users being in jail they would be in hospitals and draining valuable medical resources away from people there for much less...frivolous reasons. True, they are a drain on taxpayer dollars even now, but at least they are not in a situation where they are delaying the medical treatment of seriously ill and wounded individuals. Yes, I am aware that because of their illegality a lot of violence surrounds the market, and so are still making use of medical resources that way. However, no gunshot or stab wound goes uninvestigated and so provides incentive for such victims to stay away from hospitals.
    Most drug users aren't junkies, and the ones that are are usually the ones driven into poverty by the drug economy. You could turn all of the now unused prisons into 12 step programs/halfway houses if you wanted, it would still cost less to house them.

Also, I doubt many people would stay away from the hospital due to gunshot or stab wound, unless it was just a knick. Underworld docs are mostly a myth, and most people don't know of them personally anyway.
    Though, the idea to regulate and tax the narcotics industry is a good idea. This would be the second best reason proposed. Though, perhaps I'm old fashioned in that I believe that if a government is making large amounts of money from the degradation of its citizens it's probably corrupt.
    They tax lots of things people conceder "bad". Porn, Sex toys, Contraceptives, Videogames, Naughty Music, Harry Potter, etcetera. It's more on what you define as bad then anything. That said, as long as the money goes back to the people, it isn't corruption. It's a stupid tax, like the lottery.

I'd also like to point out something not mentioned anywhere here. I don't know what country you live in, but I think that America has a duty to itself and the rest of the globe (since it is very influential internationally) to maintain the integrity of its population. Aren't we trying to remain competitive in the global market? How can we do that if the workforce is high half of the time? This is something we really need to think about.
    I don't think anyone has said the businesses shouldn't test people anymore if they want. But if you're in a stupid job, and you smoke pot on the weekend, why should it be anyone's business but your own. If you have the time and the money, you should be able to crawl into your cave and shoot smack until the real world goes away. Retreating into your own private reality is the American Dream. Look at Vegas.
    As an aspiring teacher, I'm very concerned about the next generation of Americans. I'll be damned if I have to one day grit my teeth and endure the marketing of highly addictive substances in my classroom. I won't stand for it.
    I doubt your textbooks will be sponsored by Ampeta-Cola, at any rate. I'd still have it 18 plus, and you'd have to get spieled at by a pharmacist every time you wanted anything.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Mystic Nocturne Bird
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo has a reputation beyond repute Chocobo's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Dice D20 Soras Keyblade Photoshop
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2010 10:59 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

I think drugs should be legalized, because if you want to screw over your life and blow your money on pointless crap, go for it!

However, you do have to think of innocent people on the road. If you're drugged your judgement is destroyed greatly.

With A Tip Of My Hat ///////// I Bid You Farewell

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

To be frank and to the point I'm going to focus on marijuana.

As I've said before I've met and know pot smokers who are quite intelligent, responsible adults, and who know how to take care of themselves. Already I see stereotypes in this thread about pot smokers. I think people tend to associate them with teens, young adults, or individuals with unattractive backgrounds. The reality is that some users are mature, full grown adults, with stable lifestyles who have made more difficult decisions in their lives than choosing to partake in a recreational activity equivalent to that of consuming alcohol.

Another problem is what can be "addicting" to people. Drugs, marijuana, anything can affect individuals in different ways. Though marijuana can be as addictive as cigarettes, supposedly smoking marijuana is safer for your health than tobacco. Actually from the things I've read tobacco is more addictive than marijuana, please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't find caffeine to be addictive at all. Someone really needs to work on their will power if they can't break a caffeine addiction in my opinion... to even call it an addiction sounds funny to me.

I don't fully understand the hospital argument.

I don't know if I'm mistaken but I think for the case of marijuana, legalization is a global push. Not to mention some occupations do require drug testing.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Lola Granola View Post
    Another problem is what can be "addicting" to people. Drugs, marijuana, anything can affect individuals in different ways. Though marijuana can be as addictive as cigarettes, supposedly smoking marijuana is safer for your health than tobacco. Actually from the things I've read tobacco is more addictive than marijuana, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Tobacco smoking and marijuana smoking are equally damaging to your lungs. However, the thing with marijuana is that it's done on occasion; you'll almost never find someone smoking 20 joints a day (i'm not sure who COULD do something like that, assuming they worked full-time. I know it's very possible to be high and still function fairly normally, but it definitely changes your behavior; plus, I'm not sure how many places would want their workers to be stoned and handling machinery/food/customer service/etc.). Smoking 2-20 cigarettes in a day is still common, however, so ultimately the damage caused by tobacco to the body is usually considerably greater than by marijuana.

The More You Know.™

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Thank you for that clarification. I know enough to have an opinion, but haven't researched the topic extensively.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by shadow slayer x View Post
    I really don't care whether the world wants to legalize certain drugs...children already grow up around it...and guns are perfectly legal...with permit/license although alot people don't care about that.

*Ahem* Anyways, I think it would be interesting...
    I also find it interesting on how alot of your topics and posts are "drug" related. Interesting...

If by alot you mean 2.

Also, I would like to give some background on what kind of person I am before the arguement degrades into: Oh yeah, well your a stupid pothead.

I am 16, taking all X or AP classes and have A's in everything except for Pre-Calc. I have a steady job, and, contrary to the normal stereotype of a pothead, I don't sit around talking about "The Corporations" with dreadlocks and a Phish shirt all day. I'm a pretty normal, functioning member of society. I am also a daily user of marijuana. Some comments like "If you want to destroy your life, whatever" I find offensive because it groups all users into one category and is an uneducated statement. If you want an example of a successful pothead, I say look no further than the great mind Carl Sagan.

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

Somehow I knew it would be you who chose to reply.

In answer a question, I think that honestly cigarettes should be made illegal, though because of the celebratory connotations of wine and cigars, I think that outlawing them would be going too far. And, seeing as tequila and such things are economic alternatives to such things, I don't object to their legality. I know that my views are not very consistent, but such is the complexity of my thoughts I suppose.

Most drug users aren't junkies, and the ones that are are usually the ones driven into poverty by the drug economy. You could turn all of the now unused prisons into 12 step programs/halfway houses if you wanted, it would still cost less to house them.
    I think you are perhaps being pretty stereotypical. Not every drug user is broke. I think that a sizable representation of them are middle or upper class teens who are, to put it simply, bored. Drugs are fun. Which then, yes, does contradict my theory that they partake of them enough to be hospitalized, but I still think that I made a valid point.

Replacing prisons with 12 step programs would be a good initiative, but good alternative would also be to simply implement effective rehabilitation programs into prisons. And yes I know that I have no idea how that would work, I'm sure it is very complex, but I'm equally sure that someone can come up with a solution rather than trying to fix the monetary issues by making drugs legal.

Also, I doubt many people would stay away from the hospital due to gunshot or stab wound, unless it was just a knick. Underworld docs are mostly a myth, and most people don't know of them personally anyway.
    As far as gunshot and stab victims avoiding hospitals, I think that, again, a sizable representation do not seek treatment if the injury isn't pressing and will attempt to take care of it themselves.

They tax lots of things people conceder "bad". Porn, Sex toys, Contraceptives, Videogames, Naughty Music, Harry Potter, etcetera. It's more on what you define as bad then anything. That said, as long as the money goes back to the people, it isn't corruption. It's a stupid tax, like the lottery.
    I don't believe I ever said the word "bad" in my post to describe drugs. And no, I'm not for banning any of those things.

I doubt your textbooks will be sponsored by Ampeta-Cola, at any rate. I'd still have it 18 plus, and you'd have to get spieled at by a pharmacist every time you wanted anything.
    This is silly. But of course, I do assume that age limits would be set if drugs were indeed made legal.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

To criminalize cigarettes is to criminalize freedom.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I've never taken drugs myself (rarely ever touch any alchohol, for that matter), and haven't known enough people who do to get a clear picture, so I have no idea what exactly the consequences of drug use is, and I'm curious.

I understand that marijuana and many other types of drugs can be taken for recreational purposes with minimal harm by responsible, economically stable (I believe that is the important part) people (Sherlock Holmes is depicted as an addict of heroin). I also believe that people have the right to do what they like with their bodies without others telling them what is good and bad for them to do.

Additionally, the government banning a certain substance completely tends to breed organized crime. In the United States organized crime flourished under the prohibition act. In Japan, for example, the government had banned uncensored pornography, and now the illegal markets that traffick it are a primary source of Yakuza revenue.

However, when it comes to the legalization of all drugs, I have to wonder. A lot of people have compared drug use here to smoking and drinking, but it was my impression that there are many substances out there that are by bounds more addictive than nicotine, caffeine, or alchohol. Additionally, what about substances that are dangerous not only to the user but potentially to those around him, like PCP?

I said above that drug use is reasonable as long as the user is responsible and financially stable, but what about children (who cannot be responsible for their own actions), or those in poverty (who lack money to feed their addiction), or both? One of the arguments I have heard against the legalization of drugs is that those less financially fortunate may resort to crime in order to sustain their addiction. Not to mention, again I have heard that many people in poverty resort to drug use as a method of escape in the first place. You don't see many people robbing stores to buy coffee or cigarettes but the same does not appear to be true for some types of drugs.

This is all only information gleaned from various second-hand sources, and may be doubtful, but it seems a valid point to me. So if this is indeed a false stereotype, I'd like to hear why.
    Last edited by Datenshi; 05-28-2008 at 11:55 PM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Closed Thread

Thread Information