AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: もっと言ってやれ What is the nuance of this phrase?

Junior Member raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-24-2009 03:16 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default もっと言ってやれ What is the nuance of this phrase?

I don't think it simply means "I will say more"?

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

"I will say more" is もっと言ってやる. The ~やれ form means the phrase is a suggestion.

もっと言ってやれ -> Say more (to him), will you?
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Junior Member raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf is a splendid one to behold raintree_leaf's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-24-2009 03:16 AM
    Threads

This sentence is said after someone made a suggestion. It is in reply to "行こう". It gives me the feeling that the phrase means "I agree" .After " もっと言ってやれ",they started moving out. So I'm not sure what it actually means.

Is A Girl ;)
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-14-2014 10:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

My guess is something like:

Talk a little (some) more!/.

(Could probably also mean something like "tell me more" but that depens on the context)

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667 has a reputation beyond repute dabura667's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2012 01:16 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Your ability to give context is astounding.

someone says "行こう" and then someone replies "もっと言ってやれ" implies there is a situation there that I don't understand...

Ex.

So... A and B are dating and A just got into a fight with B (the guy) and then C shows up and Hears B's side of the story, totally backing him up, and says "WHY DON'T YOU SAY ANYTHING ELSE!?!!"

B, embarrassed at his inability to speak his mind to his GF, wants to get away from C, his friend, (plus he suddenly feels, "ok this is no longer C's business") so he tells A "lets go" (行こう) and then C buts in with a "F-ing say something to her about it!" (もっと言ってやれ)

if that was the situation, see how I had to use words dealing with the situation, like "about it" and "her" and whatnot...

Japan doesn't like these types of words

English needs these words...

a literal translation with no context in Eng would be

"More say (command form, condescending, also showing condescendingness from the commanded person to the person to which they are being told to say more to)"

Junior Member Cloudyboi is a splendid one to behold Cloudyboi is a splendid one to behold Cloudyboi is a splendid one to behold Cloudyboi is a splendid one to behold Cloudyboi is a splendid one to behold Cloudyboi is a splendid one to behold Cloudyboi is a splendid one to behold Cloudyboi's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2008 07:32 PM
    Threads

just sounds like one persons sayings 'lets go' and the other dude is saying ' let me say more!' or 'let me talk more!' either way same thing. but different Japanese people would interpet the mean differently, yet understand a similar meaning... so yea.

but sense the "Setting" and the "Circumstances" are not listed, no one could really have any idea what your talking about.
    Last edited by Cloudyboi; 08-06-2008 at 02:25 PM.

名前:クラウド 出身:横浜 
      所属:天龍一族「T.L.B」
    傷あと無しじゃ死んだらつまんねーな!...

Closed Thread

Thread Information